Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Summer, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Green Jasmith

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cyanide

Slightly chilly spring days slowly but surely grow warmer as spring gives way to summer. Already the season is proving to be an unseasonably warm one, thankfully breezes have been common giving some relief. Dalibor's denizens can be found frequenting the Weyr's lake more often than in the season before, soaking up all of Rukbat's warm rays while they last.

Though not as common as the springtime there are lingering showers that come and go; thunderstorms are suddenly more common than they were in spring. Word is spreading that Fort Weyr has had an interesting outcome at their most recent hatching: An Orange broke shell and Impressed a genderneutral Candidate.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Gone Fishing, AU:17 [T'vis/Talivor]
Ivy
 Posted: Aug 7 2017, 06:57 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1290 Posts
3095 Marks
Member Inventory: View

One foot followed the other as the grayrider made his way down the winding road that split the massive weyrwall in half. Passing through the valley created by the road he looked up at the cliffs on either side of him. No matter how many times he made the familiar journey he was in awe at just how small it made him feel. It was easy to forget he was small when he spent so much time in the skies on Reith or nestled into the wall in his weyr far above the ground. Tall trees and thick foliage surrounded him in short order as he continued along the road until the trees gave way in favor of small avenues that split from the main road. Looking forward he could see the end of the main road ahead, the stone dock at the end jutting out into the choppy sea water. Turning down one of the avenues he walked passed the small huts that were provided for the fisherfolk who chose to live there; a number of them were empty as the seasonal ‘folk headed south to beat the impending winter.

Shifting his bag against his left hip he continued until he saw the well worn footpath leading between two of the huts. The dirt path led into a small gathering of shrubs before the greenery abruptly gave way into a band of pebbles that eventually transitioned into the sandy beach. Trooping towards the water he stopped short and followed the shoreline further until he found the perfect spot. Shrugging the bag free of his shoulder he let it fall gently to the sand below while he lifted the fishing pole off his right shoulder to check the line. Rethreading the line through the top eyehole he crouched down to rifle through his bag, standing back up once he had secured a hook. Tying the hook on to the line he pulled a bit of meatroll from his vest pocket and pushed it onto his hook before he cast his line out. Choppy waters paired with a high tide meant there might be a greater chance of catching a large fish - or not; it had been turns since he had done any proper fishing so he was a tad rusty.

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 12:36 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

531 Posts
110 Marks

@Ivy

His new position at Dalibor was proving quite delightful. The Weyr was far more open-minded than Fort had been, and the characters that made it up were proving interesting and intriguing. The Journeyman Harper could not have chosen a better placement--and he'd been given the option of a few Weyrs and Holds, too. Not only was it full of interesting characters of both human, dragons and whers, but it was an absolutely beautiful Weyr. The surrounding area he was working hard to explore. Yet today, today, he was going to try his hand at something different than Harpering. Today, he would try his hand at fishing!

It was his first time, in all honesty. The young man had no clue what it was about, save that you took a pole and some hooks and lures, and attempted to get a fish on the end. He'd gotten enough instruction to know the basics, but had yet to have the experience. The docks were apparently the place to go, if one did not have boat. If one wanted a boat, one only had to 'rent' one. Pay for use of a boat sounded all right. He was no sailor, but he at least had been on a boat and knew more about that than fishing. He would opt for one with paddles and a small sail. That way, if the wind did not favor him--though there was quite a bit of it at the moment--he could paddle. He was a strong swimmer, but the waters were not all that calm, and he would not go far out, if at all. Perhaps he would even stay on the docks.

After speaking to a few of the villagers, they told him of a spot that was quiet, did not require a boat, and where he might have good luck fishing. Thanking them, the Harper made his way down a well worn footpath, only to discover the spot, and another already there. Well, two was company, was it not? He announced his presence with a call out to the young man, who he realized he actually recognized! He was in the business of remembering faces and names, even if they did not know him. Especially since there were so few sport riders, he remembered them well enough.

"T'vis of grey Reith, what a pleasant surprise! I hope I am not interrupting. Would you mind a novice fisherman joining you?" Indeed he was as novice as it came, for he had no experience, and would likely benefit if T'vis had any knowledge to share! He had his box of hooks and lures, as well as grubs, besides. Perhaps the offer of sharing that would warm the young man to him? "I've bait, lures and hooks a-plenty, if you could trade a little knowledge of how this is done," he offered, with a friendly smile. He'd seen the young man, who did not appear to be overly social from his observances. He hoped he would not take poorly to unexpected company.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Aug 27 2017, 09:51 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1290 Posts
3095 Marks

A leaf acted as a bobber on top of the water showing him his line had not been pulled beneath the waves by a hungry fish. Two fingers on the line let him know if anything was even interested in the bait or not; some fishermen cast a line and waited for the bobber to drop but his step-father had taught him to fish. Borak had been adamant about having a feel for the line at all times and now T’vis was the same. Kacay gave a little trill upon seeing the harper approaching from a distance, though the grayrider did not turn to look at the man until he called out. His voice was not familiar so he turned his head slightly and gave a sidelong glance, never letting his full attention leave his line. When the man grew closer he lifted his brows in confusion - obviously the other man knew who he was but T’vis hadn’t the foggiest.

He does not have the Bond in his life yet. Reith observed as T’vis noticed that the man bore journeyman’s knots rather than those of a rider or handler. Not everyone does, it is impossible to think that every single person will bond to a dragon or wher. We’ve been over this.

Not impossible, it is inevitable. Perhaps not in our lifetime but someday the Bond will find every human. It is how humans will improve themselves and bring Pern to a better place. Together. The gray mused from where he laid roosting on the top of the weyrbowl. Though they shared a close bond, closer than most did, they still appreciated time away from one another. Never too far but just so they were not always on top of one another. Over the last handful of turns T’vis had been far more prone to wandering about - Reith knew when he was needed and when he was not, though he never let the young man go anywhere too dangerous alone.

”I’m sorry, do I know you?” Eyes narrowed as he studied the man’s features trying to match him to a name in his mind. No matter how he racked his brain he couldn’t recall ever having met the man. ”What would you be interrupting? There’s plenty of water and fish for everyone. I’ll show you how it’s done.” While he wasn’t particularly looking for company he wasn’t about to make himself out to be an arse to the other man, at least not yet. ”Any particular reason you’re out and about lookin’ to fish when you haven’t got a clue what you’re doing?” Offering his pole out to the man he in turn took Talivor’s pole from him in order to fix the line as one of the eyeholes had been missed when the line was put in. ”Do you know how to tie a proper knot or do you want me to put the hook on for you?”

At the rate you make friends with the unBonded you’re right, we’ll never find a dragon or wher for everyone. You’ll have them thinking being a part of the Bond makes them a wherrybrained git. Reith’s choice of words caused T’vis to pause a moment, he sounded so much like Revinth. Shaking his head some his attention focused on the man once more, ”Don’t let my line go slack please, if you touch the line you’ll know if any fish are nibbling or not.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Sep 28 2017, 12:11 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

531 Posts
110 Marks

@Ivy

The young Journeyman did not miss the look of confusion that crossed the grayrider's face. Talivor rarely missed much of anything, be it expression, body language, tone...it was certainly his largest strength, to be observant, good with his words, able to talk to just about anyone from any walk of life or personality. He was fairly good with the musical aspects of being a Harper, and yet it was his diplomacy, intellect, charisma, empathy and verbal skills that were his true gift. His passion for music was notable, yet his passion for people was stronger still. As such, even in his brief first impression of T'vis, he drew much from the subtleties others often missed.

It was easy to recognize, for anyone, the expression that would cross a person's face when speaking to their bonded. Talivor did not interrupt, but instead waited patiently, until T'vis' attention was on him.

"No, you do not, at that. That, however, can be rectified so we are on level ground!" He sensed T'vis was not as extroverted as many he came across, so would take no offense if the outstretched hand he offered was not shaken. Still, he had no real reason to suspect it would not be. The other young man seemed polite, not in the least rude. If anything, he suspected it would be accepted for that reason alone. "Journeyman Harper Talivor," he said by way of introduction, and then, "you'll forgive me being free with your names, I hope. I do try and recall the names and faces of those I see about the Weyr, irregardless of whom they are." He had a very keen memory. Weyrfolk, be they dragonriders, wherhandlers, crafters, weyrbrats or drudges were all remembered equally. A person's station in life hardly mattered to the man, save for in terms of paying the proper respects due. Yet respect was something he gave everyone. Perhaps not to the same level of deference as those who held higher positions, yet respect was something everyone, he felt, had a right to receive.

At his words about not interrupting, Talivor smiled and chuckled lightly.

"Plenty of fish in the sea, it's true," he commented, and then, "my thanks, T'vis. It is much appreciated." It was clear sincerity, as he placed his fishing box on the ground between them both, and opened it up. To the greyrider's query, he smiled and replied easily, "I believe one should experience as much of life as they possibly can. Little matter that I do not know how--nothing is known before it is learned. We must all start somewhere, and so here I am." After a small pause, wherein a thoughtful look crossed his features, he added, "also, I believe fishing to be a very useful skill to have. Being able to obtain food for oneself is never a wasted thing learned." If he ever were to travel, or even get lost for some reason--Faranth forbid!--it would be good to know this kind of thing. Perhaps one day he would travel in a boat that got lost at sea. Fish would be the only food available, then. Perhaps he would be lost on the way to somewhere. Dubious, both situations. Yet one could never be too prepared, and should expect the unexpected! Things that 'should not or were unlikely to happen', often did.

He didn't look in the least embarrassed, but freely admitted, "I have not tied a knot on a line before, so may not do the proper kind for such a thing--is it merely a basic knot you use? I am versed in how to tie a strong basic knot, and yet if I recall correctly, there are many kinds of knots in fishing, yes? I will cede to the expert, if I may. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to which kind of knot would best serve. I can, however, put bait on a hook," he finished with a pleased expression. Yes, he had no qualms whatsoever doing that, and had seen how before. Some were a bit squeamish about putting grubs on hooks. It didn't bring Talivor pleasure, for he imagined, though while it was argued, that it would be painful and it did bother him a little. Still...it was about learning, and survival. Just because he didn't see the wherry or herdbeast killed for his meal, did not mean they had not been, by someone. While he knew it was done as humanely as could be, they still died. He had a deep respect for all life--even that of the grub.

Again, the distant expression, and the polite wait until T'vis' attention was back on him. At his words, Talivor nodded, and replied, "of course. I shall follow your lead and do as you did." He had been watching. Seen the way the dragonman's fingers touched the line. He knew, sensibly, it was to feel for movement. He had not seen the people he had fished with do such a thing. It seemed a far more reliable method. "When I saw others fish, they waited for the bobber atop the water to dip. Your method seems more reliable, I must admit. Allows for faster reaction time and less loss of bait, or fish, I imagine." He mused, sounding pleased at this new thing learned. He would always utilize the best method, the one that yielded the best results. Intelligent, he liked to learn new things and invent new methods to improve upon them.
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 9 2017, 12:32 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1290 Posts
3095 Marks

Taking the man’s hand in his he gave a small shake, nothing too long because he didn’t like having his attention away from his gear for long. A soft grunt was offered as the harper introduced himself, at least now he knew who it was talking to him. It was a tad unsettling still to know that Talivor knew who he was without having met him - it made him wonder how much people had been talking about him. He’d kept to himself for turns now, as many turns as V’es had been gone at least. There were a few he still spoke to but not many. Ivy was among them, he wouldn’t put it past the scarlet haired seductress to go around telling people about his woeful tale. Yet he didn’t bother asking the man if only because he didn’t honestly want to know. If someone he counted among his miniscule circle of friends had been talking about him it was better to go on being ignorant of it than lose them as a friend when he found out. He didn’t have enough of them to just toss them aside; Reith would be cross if he decided not to speak to Mysqith’s anyway. ”You can use a basic knot if you want to lose your hook, sure.”

Rather gruff in the way he spoke to the other man he set his gear down in order to make a proper knot, ”A noose works best for this. Make an s shape with it, doesn’t have to be anything too large but you can’t have it too small. Lay it over the line like this then wrap this bit here over it,” as he spoke he demonstrated the knot so that the harper could learn how to do it himself. ”Doesn’t matter how many times, end on an odd number though otherwise you can’t tie it proper. Then you’ll pull the rest of the line through the smaller loop at the top and tug nice and tight.” Tugging on it he secured the line to a hook before offering it over to the other man so he could bait it with whatever he liked. Grubs. Small silverfish. Even a few bugs scuttling around might be used. If he were lucky and found a small spiderclaw then he could probably crack its shell and use that as bait for something larger. One step at a time though, for now T’vis was content to go for mid sized fish and have his new fishing companion do the same.

Watching him as he baited the hook T’vis took his pole up once more, a finger gently resting on the line once he had re-cast it out into the waters. ”A bobber is fine if you’re new but you’ll never know what’s nibblin’ your bait and not biting on your hook if you don’t feel the line. My Pa taught me that.” A flicker of something crossed his features, eyes darkening a moment before his face relaxed once more. Looking out to where their lines disappeared in the slightly choppy waters T’vis took a step to the left and sat down on a large flat boulder. ”Takes them awhile to find the bait sometimes. Once they start biting they won’t stop til you do. Least that has been my experiences in this spot.”

Looking from the water back over to the harper he arched a brow, ”What brings you to Dalibor? Not enough harpers here or secretly hoping a dragon will steal you away from your craft like they tend to do?”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 05:56 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

531 Posts
110 Marks

@Ivy

Talivor had no way of knowing his habit of learning of other people before he'd even met them might unsettle some of them. As a Harper, and with Dalibor his station, he made an effort to gain as much knowledge about everyone he saw and about his new home as he could. Some might say that Harpers tended to listen to gossip a lot. It wasn't an untruth. Talivor's business was to hear things, and assimilate the knowledge, file it away as useful or not--and to be sure he was not spreading harmful gossip. Which, he never would. He was neither the sort of person to go spreading other's business, nor to perpetuate bringing another down with hurtful talk of what might not be true, nor helpful. The more he knew, the more knowledge he had, the better he could do his job as a Harper. The better he could understand people. He took all facets of his craft very seriously, including this.

If T'vis' tone was gruff, it was neither missed nor overthought of. It took all sorts to make a Weyr, and it wasn't like the greyrider was being rude. Talivor tended to think and look for the best in people, as it was. When the young man commented, Talivor was only too happy to be shown how to do a proper knot. His attention was pointed and he watched wordlessly, making sure he memorized it so that he, too, could do it properly from now on.

"Thank you, T'vis," he replied genuinely, and then, "that is a useful thing to know!" Saying this, he proceeded to carefully set aside the hook and line and then picked up another, and proceeded to deftly mimic what he'd just been shown--ending, of course, on an odd number! Satisfied he'd done it right and it matched T'vis' own, he took up the original one he'd been handed, and baited it with a juicy grub from his little box he'd brought along that had miniature fish and grubs in it. He'd at least come prepared for this--if not with knowledge, at least with the supplies needed.

Because he was new, he did indeed attach a bobber. But once again, it was T'vis superior knowledge that the Harper ceded to. He watched and listened attentively, as good a listener as any could hope for. Casting his line out, he gave the other young man an appreciative smile and nod of thanks. "Your expertise is most welcome. Thank you." Polite and well-mannered, Talivor generally got on fine with most people. True, he could be nosier than some liked. He was still having to learn to not be so naive--not all people were good. Not all wanted to change. Not all wanted saving. He had a bit of a hero's complex, like as not, and he could not seem to shake that aspect of himself. Nor, in truth, did he sincerely want to. Helping people was something that brought him joy, and hopefully many of them when all was said and done, as well.

"That sounds delightful," Talivor commented, sounding quite enthused at the prospect of having come upon such a prime fishing location. He'd like as not share his catch with anyone who was interested. Perhaps bring it to the kitchens and allow them to make fish stews, or bake them. Fish were a welcome treat no matter the time of year, in his opinion. They were not necessarily a staple of the Weyr, which he found tended towards herdbeast and wherry more oft than not. Still, seafood was much loved by the young Journeyman--and many others. Clearly T'vis must have found it enjoyable, to be here catching them. He would have begun to converse, only the dragonman beat him to it. He was delighted to be able to answer any questions he might have.

"I requested Dalibor as my station after becoming a Journeyman," he replied honestly, and then, an eyebrow slightly raised, "is that commonplace here? I did hear that a fellow Harper as well as a Master did Impress and bond, yet I had not known it was a common occurrence!" He wore an amused expression, then, and went on in an open tone, "Dalibor is smaller and I find it quite quaint. To be in a place where I might easier come to know the people was an attractive feature. As well as, I'm sure you know, the location being quite lovely. Much, it is rumored, goes on here. I might have been content elsewhere, yet I very much enjoy a place where there is always something happening. Dalibor has a fascinating--if not sometimes frightening--history, I must admit." T'vis would surely know what he meant. Everything from Laanasuth's eggs being destroyed to Traditionalist troubles, to attracting every sort of interesting character from all over Pern. Dalibor was far more open minded and exciting than Fort, surely. "I had not thought to Impress. Dragons do hold a place dear in my heart, but my calling has always been to the Harpercraft--my parents are both Masters, and I've three sisters who are also Harpers. Two Journeymen and the youngest an apprentice. A family of Harpers, if you will." Still, Impression was fascinating and exciting, wasn't it? "I am sure every boy or girl might dream of Impression someday. Yet I am more than content with my lot in life. I wish nothing more than to be a Master someday, and strive towards it with all my might." A pause, and then thoughtfully, "I doubt very much I am meant for Impression. I might always wonder 'what if?' and yet to be perfectly honest, I would love a firelizard. Even just one would do. I had been saving in hopes of attaining a larger egg, but my salary as a Journeyman is humble and unless I manage to come across a clutch, or someone willing to part with one, I'd be happy to be fortunate enough to Impress one of any color. Larger ones are more aptly able to carry things and I had heard they may learn more. Plus there is some appeal in the idea of a little bronze or gold upon my shoulder, I daresay!" He looked at T'vis with a merry twinkle in his eye. He loved all firelizards, and he had entertained the idea of a sport as much as a gold or bronze. Something a little different, as it were, from what most had. He would only ever have a firelizard, after all, and only wished just one. "What of yourself, T'vis? What brought you to Dalibor? Were you born here, or did you transfer? Do you find it to your liking?"
PMEmail
^
Ivy
 Posted: Today at 12:09 am
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1290 Posts
3095 Marks

”I wouldn’t say ‘common’ but it seems to happen, aye.” A slow and steady nod was offered as they spoke of harpers Impressing. Dragons and whers did go into the stands for Theirs at times - not all the time but he’d noticed it all the same. Perking a brow up at the next bit he couldn’t help but give a lopsided smirk, albeit a brief one. ”Quaint. Ain’t ever heard the Weyr called that. Lovely is one way of puttin’ it, lucky you weren’t here for the heavy winter storm a handful of turns back. Weren’t lovely then at all. Cold and miserable as I remember it.”

T’vis fell quiet and his focus fell to his line as he felt something brush past his hook and bait. Something was interested, investigating, but not quite ready to nibble. That was fine, he was a patient man and could wait. Staring out into the water he let his fingertips tell him all he needed to know - but the fish moved on without biting. Oh well, there would be another one. ”My dad was a fisherman. Well the one I knew at least. One who made me was a dragonrider, so I suppose bein’ a rider is in my blood even iffin I never knew it. Don’t hate it, but still like fishing.”

There was another long moment of silence from the grayrider, this time something was very interested in his line. A test nibble that wasn’t enough for him to pull in the line but then something more as the fish was emboldened by the taste of his bait. There was a distinct tug on the line and he jerked the pole to set the hook as he began to gather the line and pull the fish to the shore. He was quick about it, no doubt faster than the harper would be if he got a bite - T’vis had plenty of practice. Soon the fish landed on the shore and flopped around, bouncing on the dirt until he picked it up and deposited it in the bucket he’d brought along. It would keep the fish fresh until he was done fishing and could clean it properly. ”Born in the north, not far from Tillek. Came to Crescent with my mom and the rider that sired me when pa kicked us out. He passed. She passed. I was Searched while tryin’ to find a way back home. Searchrider promised if I stood for two hatchings and didn’t Impress she’d deliver me back home herself. Didn’t get a chance to stand twice, stood once and Reith found me so here I am.”

More bait was placed on the hook and recast so he could see about catching more, they’d make a good dinner and lunch tomorrow.

@Ruriko

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates