April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Rain Sound, SP:17 {Rii/Leo}
Leo
 Posted: Apr 5 2017, 11:40 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Plip, plip, plip...

Zasime closed her eyes against the falling droplets even as she allowed them to carve their way down the hollows of her face. The rain felt so very cold where it made contact against her bare skin, a stark contrast to the newfound warmth of spring that had finally broken the bitter winter season. She couldn't help but wonder then that if she stuck her tongue out, like a child, would the rain taste as fresh and clean as it felt? Smiling to herself, the young woman took a deep breath of that crisp rain scent while it was still fresh in her mind and stretched her arms out to either side of her just to make sure she got the full experience while it lasted. There was no doubt in the woman's mind that the rain was quite likely to end just as suddenly as it had begun, such was nature's prerogative.

Tamath shifted impatiently in place beside his rider, having taken the moment to rest back on his haunches, and his lips now curled back ever so slowly to reveal the devious smile that he had prepared exactly for this occasion. 'Shall I toss you in now, Mine?' Zasime chuckled to herself as his words settled into her mind, her arms dropping lightly to her sides as she twisted around to properly face her dragon. 'Well, aren't you the eager one,' she teased. 'Makes me think you might actually have something against me...eh?' The black hummed nonchalantly back, his tail twitching from its wrapped position against one outstretched leg, slier than any feline she knew. 'Hmm, is that so? Well, I guess you better watch out then.'

Both rider and dragon were thoroughly soaked by this point of time, although neither appeared to be bothered by the unforeseen downpour. After all, what was a little more water when one was already planning a dip in the lake? 'Okay, let's do this.' Zasime planted herself determinedly at the edge of the lake under Tamath's arched neck as he rose back to his feet. The black made sure to get a good grip on the hood of Zasime's fluffy jacket with his teeth, testing its sturdiness with a small tug of his head. 'Ready,' he noted, although there was a new glimmer of worry in his mindvoice. 'Hey, it's fine. Just a short drop, remember?' He huffed and brought her up slowly, slowly, until her legs were dangling in the air. 'Yes. I remember.' Then he tossed her above the lake.

She was flying- sort of. She was falling- most likely. It was just a short drop into the lake Zasime had to remind herself as her heart began to speed up and the world spun. It was just a short drop. Then she felt him - or rather was him? - and her muscles tensed up instinctively as his teeth caught the edge of her hood. Zasime looked down; her bare feet were in the water. 'Not bad for our first try.' Tamath set her down gently into the water until she could swim on her own. 'Yes.' The rider didn't know if this idea of theirs was more terrifying or exciting, but practicing a potential fall off of one's dragon and then the catching of one's rider could prove important. She didn't know. She just liked being prepared. 'Alright, this calls for a swimming break, I think.' Yes, rest days were great...even when there was an itching need to work harder in her head.

@Rii
PM
^
Rii
 Posted: May 2 2017, 01:19 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2471 Posts
3157 Marks

She won't hurt you, you know.

V'di made a face, looking up at his dragon silently. He knew what this was; it was a not-so-subtle attempt to coax him to talk to more people, to interact without Ovoloth acting as a buffer between them. His second attempt at weyrlinghood, they'd spent so much more time on him, instead of his blue. And yet, it was never the dragon that had faltered. It was V'di, every time, who'd needed the extra support, the extra work.

But they'd worked at it and supported each other and they were wingriders now, under the watchful eyes of their wingleader and his wingseconds. He wondered if they distrusted him still. He wondered how they couldn't.

There are bigger things to worry about than one incident in the past.

It was kind of a big incident.

And if they don't have something else to bother them by now, I'm terribly concerned.

The bluerider's lips twitched in a small, reluctant smile, fleeting as it was. No you're not.

Not terribly, no. But a little.

Shaking his head, V'di ventured closer to the lake's edge. He knew her, the rider swimming about in the rain. He'd met her once, some turns and a lifetime ago, on the shore of this self-same lake. She hadn't been a rider then, of course. She'd been a candidate, and he'd been the experienced one, the one with a smile and a reassurance.

He'd had Morth then.

For a moment he halted in his tracks, reaching out with one hand until it found soft blue hide. Warm and firm with the muscle beneath. Ovoloth hummed softly, a low near-rumble deep in his throat and chest. From the moment the blue had hatched, he'd understood that he shared his rider with a memory - but he'd never felt threatened by it, because every moment of their time together was permeated by V'di's need for him, for Ovoloth, the way that a drowning man needed air.

Hm. Perhaps not the best simile, when they were by the lake.

V'di licked his lips, then opened his mouth to speak. No sound came out. He cleared his throat and tried again. "Hello. Ah... what-" he hesitated. "What were you doing, just now? If you don't mind me asking."

@Leo

PMAIM
^
Leo
 Posted: May 23 2017, 09:37 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks

Tamath noticed them first. 'MyZasime, we have visitors.' Oh great, just when she had thought no one would be out and about because of this rain. 'I hear ya. Just a moment.' A man's voice was asking her what exactly they had been trying to do, but she had hair in her face and a jacket that was falling off of her. She just needed- "A moment please!" While his rider worked to get her sodden jacket back into place, the black shuffled closer to land and collapsed purposefully halfway there with his back end still submerged in the lake. He tucked his forelegs partially underneath him, blinking water from his lids, and cocked his head to one side as he studied the newcomers. Something about these two seemed...familiar to him, but he couldn't remember why. Fascinating. The man in particular was especially intriguing and Tamath turned his green eyes onto the seemingly timid soul. 'I should stalk this one. I think he would keel over with just one smile.'

'Now, now, there's no need for that. They're just being curious.' Zasime had finally managed to trudge her way back onto land, weighted as she was by her waterlogged clothes. She had on her usual polite smile, polished yet cool, but it dimmed slightly as soon as her brown eyes met with the medium blue of the man. Oh, this was V'di. Yes, she remembered him. How could she forget? He was one of the first to welcome her to Dalibor. It was a wonder how much things could change to the point that she could barely reconcile the image of him in her memory to the person that now stood before her. 'Ah, I see now.' Tamath's head straightened, his curiosity sated for the present moment. 'Hello Ovoloth.' He greeted the other dragon because he knew it was the civil thing to do but saw no need for further conversation. Tamath was - typically - a dragon of few words. And in this case, Zasime was hardly better. "H-hello. Sorry for the delay."

The greeting came easy enough, familiar in form, as was the apology, equally standard. But the rest, the answer he was seeking from her, the words fizzled and failed. The young woman stood there feeling embarrassed instead. Shells, she couldn't be like this. How did two people have a normal conversation again? Well, they probably didn't do it in the rain for one. And most normal people didn't have dragons looming over their shoulders. Ugh, she wasn't good at any of this small talk stuff on a regular basis, so trying to have a conversation with someone she hadn't spoken to in six turns was especially awkward. "We were...practicing, sort of. I just had the thought to- no, it was a stupid idea, nevermind."

Zasime didn't bother asking him, or Ovoloth, how they were doing. That question had always rang false for her. There was an expected answer to that question, a sham of 'Good. How are you?' that was followed by an equally inauthentic, 'Oh, I'm quite well, thank you.' Now, if one was to say their true feelings, to spill their pains and tensions out onto another, it would break the illusion of good will. And people didn't like it when their masks were broken. Instead, she asked, "What are you guys doing out in the rain?" Her unspoken question was 'what are you doing talking to me?'

@Rii
PM
^
Rii
 Posted: Jun 29 2017, 01:03 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2471 Posts
3157 Marks

Hello, Tamath. Ovoloth dipped his head in greeting to the black. He was much more of a conversationalist, but he was temporarily focused on keeping his rider on the right track.

"No, no - it's okay, I wasn't... I'm not in any rush. You know?" V'di smiled hollowly, tilting his head down to keep the rain out of his eyes. Once, a few turns and a lifetime ago, he'd been the best at finding the right thing to say, filling in the silences to keep the flow of conversation going. Now, he found it so much harder to keep on track.

"The thought to what?" he inquired, looking up at Zasime with cautious curiosity. "It's not stupid. I mean, I don't know what it is, but that doesn't mean it's stupid." He smiled again, and this time although it was tentative, there was some heart in it, like he meant the expression rather than trying to force it for the sake of what was right or expected by society. "I'm not even a little judgmental. I promise. I mean, glass holds, right?" V'di uttered a brittle laugh, before shaking his head. "Sorry. It's not funny to anyone, but sometimes I have this, this knee-jerk compulsion to try and mock it."

Ovoloth lowered his head to nudge V'di's shoulder gently in reassurance. There's a surplus of tears in the world. It would be a pity to add to them, when even the sky is crying, hm?

The bluerider ran his fingers through his drenched hair. "Yeah." He looked up quizzically, although he'd been at least somewhat aware that it had been raining. "Because... um... oh, it sounds silly. I go out and either walk around the Bowl or out to the beach every day around this time, if there's not threadfall, or drills. I... I use patterns a lot, to keep things in place up here." He tapped his head. "It - it helps a lot, to have a routine. I never used to like it - I don't even know if I like it now - but until I don't need it anymore, I don't want to stop."

@Leo

PMAIM
^
Leo
 Posted: Sep 21 2017, 05:09 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks

"Oh yeah, I get it. Still, it's not polite to make one wait." Inwardly, Zasime winced. Her words sounded forced even to her own ears. It's not you, she wanted to explain. Or at least, it's not just you. I'm bad at this. I forget, sometimes, what people want from me. What the words are supposed to contain. Forgive me. His eyes, when they looked at her, were so deep she felt a sharp pang shoot through her chest like something was trying to claw its way out from inside of her. Her hands reached to tug the neck of her jacket tighter, though the action proved no additional warmth for the blackrider. The action was unconscious. It gave her hands something to do rather than hang limply at her sides, and so they stayed there, clinging to the wet fabric in order to feel the texture of the lining. "I was...we were, thinking of falling. Of worst-case scenarios. I know we practice emergency situations, just in case, but practice - or rather perfect practice - makes perfect." The corners of her lips raised slightly. "We also indulge in a little fun."

V'di's laugh, grating without humor, made her shiver from her head to her toes. If he asked her about it, she would say it was because of the rain. It was cold. She didn't think about how cold it would be once she removed herself from the lake. Was he cold too? Her dark eyes traced his form for signs of displeasure. "You don't have to apologize." The words came out sharper than she had intended. More softly, "I don't think it's silly. I have patterns and routines too." This was the moment when she was supposed to offer something of herself, some insight or proof of her words. Something like, "I clean my weyr at the same time, from back to front, every other day. If I don't, I feel like I'm missing something and I have to wrack my brain trying to figure out what it is. It's not a pleasant feeling." The admittance was one of her more easily divulged 'secrets.' Yet, she still looked to Tamath as the words left her lips. It was kind of embarrassing to say that aloud. She sounded like a total neat freak...like her mother.

"We can go." The wingsecond's smile was genuine as her eyes sweeped from Tamath to Ovoloth and back to V'di. "Go and follow your pattern...if you don't mind having company. Or we can stay here, and you two can be on your way." They were an obstruction to V'di and Ovoloth's routine, she had realized. She didn't want to be a bother, so Tamath had suggested they join them on their walk. Of course, if the bluepair would rather be alone, that was fine too.

@Rii
PM
^
Rii
 Posted: Oct 23 2017, 09:59 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2471 Posts
3157 Marks

V'di tilted his head to the side, considering the words carefully. "That," he spoke slowly, "is the opposite of silly. It's a worst-case scenario sort of thing, but the alternative to not being quick enough, to slipping, to missing..." It was his turn to shudder softly. Such thoughts weren't to be contemplated for too long; there were still dark empty places inside of him that threatened to swallow him whole if he let them yaw open for too long.

"So I think... I think you're being very wise. About the practice. And, and about the fun too - I... I used to jab at people a lot, for not recognizing when there's space for harmless fun." Glancing upwards, the bluerider blinked against the rain. "I still... think about it. But there's less space for it than there used to be."

Fun. It still haunted him, it would always haunt him, that his ill-chosen fun had killed his dragon and torn his soul asunder. He would always be Morth's murderer, even if one day there was no one left to remember it but himself.

The bluerider jerked his head back at the sharp words, his eyes wide. "I do," he answered quietly. "I will always have something to apologize for."

It did seem to ease him, her reassurances that she, too, had her routines to follow. "It makes it easier not to forget things, when you eat at the same time, dress at the same time, walk at the same time. Ovoloth tells me, when there are things that have slipped focus, but it's not fair to him to need to, to babysit, all the time."

It is not babysitting to help fill in the holes you've left behind. One day, you'll remember that it's okay not to hate yourself. Until then, I'm going to love you for both of us.

V'di's expression softened, resting his palm against Ovoloth's hide again and rubbing it gently in affection. It even let him smile again, just a little. "You can join us, you and Tamath. I... I would like the company." He started walking, once Zasime indicated they were ready to go. "Do you like the sea?" he inquired suddenly. "Here I'm about to go there and I could, should ask first."

@Leo

PMAIM
^
Leo
 Posted: Apr 4 2018, 09:50 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks

Zasime accepted the compliment without a word. Wise. She had never thought of herself in that way, but it brought a warm glow to her otherwise chilled form. Too bad it was not meant to last, much like the bluerider's confidence, as he lapsed back into second-guessing himself. "That's...not what I meant." While she couldn't deny his role in Morth's death, he didn't have to apologize to her about it, whether it was the death itself or his mockery of it. After all, she wasn't the one left with gaping holes in her heart. He was. "You don't have to apologize to me." The blackrider felt like she had made more than enough mistakes in this conversation to warrant another apology of her own. But that would be rather hypocritical of her, wouldn't it?

The woman found V'di's smile, small as it was, to be all the proof she needed of Ovoloth's absolute rightness for him. She knew some believed the blue should have chosen another because V'di didn't deserve to feel the eternal love of a dragon again, but wasn't the whole point of Impression that the dragon chose? That the dragon knew? That there was only one other being out there in the whole wide world that could understand what it meant to be you? Tamath was this for her as Morth had been for him then, but Ovoloth was all that he needed now. And that was just how it was. Dragons truly were the purer half of the relationship as they knew what their rider needed long before they did. Even the violent ones knew to seek out an individual who would not be burdened by them. If that wasn't charity, Zasime didn't know what was.

I would like the company. Her eyebrows whisked upwards, though she tried to hide her shock with a smile. The wingsecond had to admit, she hadn't been expecting him to say yes. Neither Zas nor Tamath were exactly the most personable of individuals and she could name the number of people she considered to be her good friends on one hand. The blackpair had always preferred to learn more about others through watching rather than asking, and the stories in their heads were usually far more entertaining than the reality, in any case. Then again, perhaps that was exactly the reason why he had said yes; he would not have to fear talk of meaningless gossip with her. She also would not pry into his personal affairs, though his darkest secret was already out in the open before them. Still, she had to be careful to not get too invested in the possibilities of where their conversation might lead as V'di was an ocean's worth of complications. The last thing the bluerider needed was Tamath taking more of an interest in him than he already had to the point that the black became his unwanted shadow.

'I will behave myself.' Zas arched an eyebrow. 'Somehow, I highly doubt that.' The black hummed, a gentle dragon's laugh. 'Believe what you will.' Oh, she would.

With a slight twist of her lips, Zasime gave V'di a quick nod to signal her readiness. She had been expecting some kind of question from him as they walked, but her opinion of the sea wasn't it. "Yes." She said the word automatically as visions of white foam floated to the forefront of her mind and her skin itched with imagined sand. "I grew up with the sea. My dad is a Dolphineer." Her nose wrinkled slightly. "My twin too. I fancied the idea myself before, actually." Her eyes flitted to Tamath. "But dragons were always a dream of mine." The admission came easily enough. It was a successful dream, after all. "Have you ever swam with shipfish?"

@Rii
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil