April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:

While not unnatural in its violence, the dual hatching of Copper Queens Laanasuth, and Zelsk, has brought many changes Pernwide to the Dragon Candidate program. Raising the Age of Candidacy, and laying more rigorous emotional requirements on those admitted into the program and permitted to stay after. Dalibor has settled into an easy peace with the hatching fading into memory and young dragonets and wherets visible as they come into their own.

Included in their ranks are two colours new to Pern. Indigo dragons, and Pink whers, as well as Dalibor's first instance of a dual-bonded Wherhandler. As always, the West seems eager to produce weirdness for the rest of Pern.

Curiously, a steady flow of messengers seem to be traveling between Grove and Dalibor Weyr during the early sevendays of the new season; which is already proving to be milder than some in Dalibor's recent history.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Hopeful, TW: Illness & pets
Zane
 Posted: Dec 26 2017, 04:09 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

716 Posts
45 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Hey guys,

Sakoru and I have been on edge since Christmas Eve because our Rottweiler--Raksha--seems to have injured her hind end somehow. She's been limping, and having difficulty getting up/walking about. We are bringing her to our vet first thing once they're off Holidays tomorrow morning. In the meantime we've been keeping her lying down and still. She didn't fall or anything, so it's sudden. She just got up from a nap and BAM. So, needless to say, we're fairly concerned. We're hoping that nothing serious is going on and that she just pulled something... We'll find out more tomorrow, but in the meantime we're praying for a fast-recovery. She's definitely sore, and experiencing a few other symptoms that have us all the more concerned.

So, if we become a bit scarce this week, I just wanted to denote as to why...

If you could keep Raksha in your thoughts, we'd appreciate it. <3

We got her into our vet at 8 AM this morning. She's on 3 days of Metacam as an anti-inflammatory. It could be growing pains, or a pinched nerve. That's what we're dealing with first. If there's no improvement by Saturday she's getting x-rays for hip dysplasia. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that...

And she slipped on the hardwood floor last night. She managed to trip over herself, more or less, so she's hurt again. D: Gave her the same dosage as yesterday, and hoping to dial it back by tomorrow as long as she doesn't do anything stupid. Looking more and more like we may require x rays.

While the medication is working for the pain management, she still doesn't look "proper" in terms of her leg positioning. She has an extended butt-swing. We're taking her in for x rays Tuesday morning at 8 AM. Praying that it's not hip dysplasia or a ligament tear. ;;
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 06:37 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3166 Posts
2440 Marks

I am so sorry to hear that I hope she has been getting better! Let us know how she is going =(

PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 08:40 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

716 Posts
45 Marks

Hey Boo! <3

Thank you so much for the well wishes.

The x rays came back and it is hip dysplasia. We have to wait and see how far it progresses by her 18-month. She's not supposed to move around a lot (which is hard since she's only an 8-month old puppy). Just been giving her a lot of bones. No walks. No intensive play. Just a more or less chill environment.

She isn't finished growing so there isn't much we can do. Chances are it'll get a lot worse--statistically speaking. We have been peeking into doggy wheelchairs and other possibles if she loses all movement. We don't want her to be in pain, so we'll obviously be keeping a close eye. </3

It's really heartbreaking, but we're just trying to do what we can... If we have to let her go, then we have to let her go. At the moment she is still happy, and moving about despite.
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 08:57 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3166 Posts
2440 Marks

=( I do hope that it doesn't get too much worse but that really sucks. Although trying to keep a puppy chill is easier said than done... Hope it gets better...

PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 04:40 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

716 Posts
45 Marks

It's super hard. ;; At her age all they want to do is jump around and play. It's so hard on her, and hard on us. We don't want her to be depressed, even if that means she's a bit more active in the yard. If her quality of life is gone, then what's the point. Unfortunately hip dysplasia does not improve, it only degrades. It's just a matter of when, and how quickly.

So far she is still really "floppy" in the back end. She is swaying a lot and fumbling. We have her on the glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. It'll take a bit to have any kind of effect, but thus far I don't see any improvement in her gait beyond her no longer being in immediate pain. If anything she seems worse in terms of her sway. It was never as noticeable as it is now.
PM
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 06:40 PM
Wingleader

N/A

1104 Posts
1650 Marks

Years ago, when I had a dog that had rear end problems similar to hip dysphasia, I did some
research into doggy wheelchairs. A fast Google search gives me this company, which at least shows what exactly I’m talking about.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustable-dog-wheelchairs

There’s more companies than this one that makes such chairs, and they’re not exactly cheap, depending on what sizes your dog needs, but this might be something you can ask your vet about. And see if there’s a local company that makes these things you can buy from.

(And before you ask, I wasn’t able to get one due to the cost, so I have no idea what the downsides of these chairs are. http://files.jcink.net/uploads/daliborweyr/smiley/Frown.png )
PMEmail
^
Zane
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 06:45 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

716 Posts
45 Marks

Hey Tiger! <3

That's the sort of thing we're looking into, in case it comes to that, but we're not sure how feasible it'll be just yet. She's a big girl, and still growing. It's much easier with smaller dogs. She'll finish at about 80 lbs. or so, possibly more. She's also been having digestive/bowel issues, so we're not entirely sure if she'll manage in a wheelchair. It's something we are going to discuss with the vet if she continues to decline. Surgery is an option at 18 months, but it's more of a band-aid to the inevitable.

They run $600-1000, judging by the ones available on Amazon.

Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it.
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 02:58 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

716 Posts
45 Marks

@Boo

So, we had a trainer out to assess her. The accidents and difficulty with her gait has been persisting this entire time. (The vet recommended having an experienced trainer out). He just had a dog like her who suffered from neurological problems. He showed us what he meant.

Her eyes were constantly shaking, and she could not hold his gaze. Then when she got confused about what he was asking she chose to pee in place instead. He told us that she'd need a strict, non-negotiable, schedule and that it would be hard on us (and the other pets). He suggested that he take her to his property, since he runs a Dog Sanctuary. He gave us a week to think on it...

In the end we decided that it was what was best for her. He's a friend of a really close friend of mine. We know he's a good guy. We've watched his other training videos and looked up some of his prior history. He's a very responsible, experienced, individual. He has 9 other dogs he is working with presently. It was super hard to let her go, but it was the best decision (especially since we just moved into an apartment building and she is a very studious barker).

Raksha will get what she needs with him, I know she will... It's always been my dream to have a Rottweiler after my Amadeus went, and I know that we will again. For now, Chaska is a wonderful dog and she's turning 7 this year. We've had her for over 5 years (she was a rescue) and she really prefers having exclusive attention. Both of the cats are 7 this year as well, so everyone is kinda in that same "we're chill and just want a relaxing environment" zone. We are thinking on kids in the next couple of years as well, so that was a really big factor for us also.
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 06:39 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3166 Posts
2440 Marks

It's a really hard choice but I do think it was best for her to go to the sanctuary because she will be getting the direction she needs. I am so sorry you had to let her go but you and Sakky were so brave to make that choice xx And there's always a chance you will be able to go visit her =)

@Zane

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil