April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Day by Day, WI:17 {Grove Infirmary}
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 31 2017, 07:04 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks
Member Inventory: View

ooc: Figured we'd branch this one off before we take over Basecamp with feels. We can fluid this time as needed etc, or even tag Rhia back in FOR SURGERY. Whatevs.

O'men left and they were alone. And W'ryn was somewhat lucid, and Ulian was...terrified. And so tired. They sank back down into the chair that had been set near the bed for them, their hands still wrapped with the Bluerider's as the other's fingers made their trails. The movement focused their feverish mind, and soothed their running thoughts. The awkward moment had passed, W'ryn had made up their own mind, and Ulian hadn't needed to have an opinion about it.

Was still uncertain if they were supposed to have opinions.

White and hazel-green eyes met red and dark-green ones, and there was no horror there. Only a tenderness that Ulian was probably not even aware of. When W'ryn's hand found their cheek, their own--slender and soft--alighted on the back of it to keep it there. The words the other Rider spoke caused their own teeth to chatter through the fever, and they turned their head to plant a kiss on the palm that had been only just against their cheek before returning it.

"I never stopped thinking about you after that day on the upper lake, and while I should have sought you out to help you, I was worried it might push you away. It was selfish of me, when you were in need of someone to listen. Then Rivath's Flight, and you came. Against your will perhaps, but all the same, and I wanted it to be you, but more than that I didn't. I didn't want it to be something forced upon you by a dragon. Especially if you didn't want it yourself."

The Healer paused, leaning back to cough over their shoulder--all the good it would do W'ryn inside this cavern. They returned again, wrapping their fingers around the other's hand. "Then I heard you were here, saw the roster list. Heard what was happening, and I couldn't get you out of my mind. You were running me in circles while I tried to sleep, tried to eat. Then I heard about the illness, and I couldn't...handle not knowing. I thought I could just see you and then I would know. You'd push me away, or...well that's what I reasoned. But you didn't, and then you went and tried to feed yourself to a snake."

A lopsided smile, still somewhat hesitant, but pure. "If I'm part of that fear...if...a hundred things. You can tell me that. Might be another day and I'll be laid out somewhere as well. If I'm not, well, I'll make sure O'men lays me out nearby so you can keep an eye on me." They would just have to take it day by day, wouldn't they? If they could get onto the same page. If Ulian could set their own fears aside and come into something better than themselves. Something more than one person.

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Oct 31 2017, 11:43 PM
Wingrider

N/A

199 Posts
3606 Marks

There would be no misjudging this one’s emotions. It was apparently possible to blush under bruises and fever combined, as W’ryn did exactly that, staring with joy and maybe disbelief that their touch was met with such… something beyond acceptance. With similar desire. The emotion that swelled in their chest threatened to drown out Ulian’s first words, but W’ryn had insisted so hard that listening was their intent, and the promise drew them back from their wondering. And they did listen, intently, for to let their attention wander at all was dangerous. Down that road lead sleep or being consumed in the discomfort of their own body.

When Ulian had finished they met their hesitant, perfect smile with one of their own. Still mentally clinging to the touchstone that was the other’s skin beneath their fingers. It was hard to hold on to all of the thoughts that needed to be expressed, nigh impossible to keep them in order. But they tried so hard, it meant so much, and maybe there was so little time to get it close to right.

“I wouldn’ta known what t’do if you’d followed me. I was… scared, and hurt. It’s still so confusin’ most days and I don’t know what t’do with any of it.” They let out a shaking breath, even the act of talking this close to the subject a strain. Their brows were drawn as they looked up at Ulian’s face, drawing a contemplative circle with their thumb.

“You’re… the first one t’see me, and t’say you saw me, and not to be… upset, or angry, even disapprovin’. I still don’t know what to make of that, either. But you did no wrong, and didn’t deserve gettin’ yelled at, or me stormin’ off. Not proud of that.” W’ryn ducked their head as much as their body allowed without protest. Was it the fever or embarrassment that turned the edges of their ears so red? Hard to say.

“Shards, Ulian. I do want it. I didn’t know until then but I haven’t stopped wantin’, not this whole time.” The effort was enough to make them tremble. Save for the open abandonment of Flightlust it was the clearest they had ever admitted their desires aloud to another person. And it was hard and they wondered, still, if it were right, even when Ulian had nearly admitted as much themself. Best to keep going.

“I had a lot’ve time. To think and sit with myself and not talk to anybody, not even Earth. I think I even hated him for a while. My own dragon. I don’t want that anymore. Not us bein’ things we’re not.” They had to pause, could not possibly allow themselves to cry. If not to prevent Ulian from seeing it—that ship had already sailed—then to keep their body from trying to sob. That way lay pain.

“I’d like it. If you were here. Even if you’re not laid out more sick, and I hope to Faranth you aren’t. En’t convinced you sleep at all yet.” That easy smile again, the threat of tears subsiding. They finally let their hand drop, the effort to hold it up starting to tax, but kept hold of Ulian’s hand and pressed the back of their palm to the top of the other’s thigh.

“I don’t know what I want, Ulian. I’m still learnin’ what it’s okay to want. But… I want you, and I don’t even know how, rightly, what that means, only that I do. And I can’t even start to imagine how that looks ‘cause I don’t even know the lay of things by tomorrow. What if you’re not here, or me. What if we both are and nothin’ fixes right and I lay in a shardin’ bed forever. I dunno what to be dreamin’ for but this right now.”

@Ruin

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Nov 1 2017, 01:32 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

"Then our troubles would be over," they said softly, their eyes focused on open air before they snapped back to W'ryn and a smile tugged at the corners of their mouth, pulling at the flush of fever. "The hard part is what we're doing now, like you said. Healing, and...wanting things we don't understand yet. Here we thought we'd have more time for talking, and maybe we do. Can't be anything but honest when everything hurts, right?"

Ulian leaned forward, propping their head up on one hand, the other still twined with the Bluerider's own. "It was so complicated when I came here to find you. So terrifying in my head. I'd worked myself up, ran through all of your possible responses and focused on the ones that would hurt the most, assuming they would be true." Another soft smile as they reached out to brush away a strand of W'ryn's hair, gentle deft fingers so careful not to press or tug. "It's easy to give in, knowing that you feel similarly."

"You make me feel brave. I think I never really was. Brave that is. Maybe that's why Rivath is so fiery. It's one thing to give someone comfort, to promise them things will be okay, and give them strength to see that. It's another thing to confront realities about yourself. Would you believe me if I told you that I've spent my life relatively alone? Acquaintances only. Then Rivath found me and needed all of my attention, and by the time she had come into herself, I had learned to shy away from everyone else."

They sighed softly, an almost happy sound, before a small breathy laugh escaped their lips. "You've always called me back to you, whether a memory of you, or just seeing you. So now I can say you don't have to worry of being rid of me. I will be here. I can do some of my work right by this bed. I'll sleep when I'm tired, I'll bring us food when we're hungry, and we can just...coexist. Nothing has to be hard. Even if, on the other side of this, we're only very good friends, it doesn't have to be complicated."

They rubbed their thumb along the outside of W'ryn's hand and smiled again. "Could've been that we never spoke again after that day, or her Flight. Seems like we sorted out the hardest part, now we just have to get through the rest of it. And that? We'll just do it together, to be safe. That's what this can look like for now. I'm not afraid of dying, maybe I should be, but I'll be gone, between or otherwise so I can't mind much, right? I am--was--afraid of living in a world with you in it but never being so much as your friend. Never being able to speak to you. So I'm coming out ahead already."

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Nov 2 2017, 04:17 PM
Wingrider

N/A

199 Posts
3606 Marks

Their hair was something of a mess. In the great rush of things that had needed doing when W’ryn arrived a broken and bloodied thing, trivial matters like personal grooming had not ranked high during triage. It parted easily against Ulian’s gentle hand nonetheless and W’ryn hummed a note of appreciation. As their energy ran low more of their responses were like that, an emotive noise or a quick flash of facial expression. Maybe some of it had worn off from Earth, who talked so little.

"S'always easiest to think've the worst and figure it's the truth. And let fear make decisions for you. What's bravery but doin' the thing you thought was goin' to go sideways, anyway?" The slightest of head tilts, trying to size Ulian up properly, as if they could read them just by their appearance. In truth W'ryn was as eager to memorize that as they had been the shape of the Mindhealer's hand. To solidify and make real the things that had been impossible dreams not a sevenday before. Less than dreams, even--they had not known to hope for anything at all.

"I would believe anything you had t'say. You haven't given me any reason to doubt. Been as open as a... a book, I guess." W'ryn did not know much about books and had a sudden flash of worry, a realization that Ulian was a Master and you probably didn't get to be a Master without being incredibly clever, and W'ryn was nothing of the sort. Maybe it wouldn't matter. It was so hard to gauge with nothing certain.

"Easy to fall into. Bein' alone. No rider ever is, really, so... d'you know, some've what scares me is havin' a... connection, a friendship, anything solid outside've Earth. Someone who's gonna care if I get hurt," they pulled a wry face at the irony of having this conversation given present circumstances, "or me carin' if they do. Easier to be brave when there en't much to lose." W'ryn closed their eyes, taking a long moment to breathe through an unexpected pang.

"No more doin' it alone, neither've us. Easy." And despite all of it that was going to be hard and that they feared more than anything, W'ryn smiled with the idea of just being together, looking forward to it more than anything they could remember in recent memory.

"I'm... sorry, that you lived with that so long. T'tell the truth I never knew there was another way. Couldn't be afraid've it, because... what else was there? It had to be enough that you didn't hate me. Didn't know it could be..." whatever this was. It didn't even matter that they likely looked the most pathetic pair of Riders the world had ever seen between illness and injury. W'ryn wasn't fading out just yet but had taken to biting their lower lip near to the point of blood, the growing awareness of their injures making it hard to concentrate otherwise.

"Reckon I'm the one that needs to borrow your bravery, not the other way 'round. Your kind means... this. My kind means snakes. Rather have this." The thought drew a breath of laughter followed by a low hiss of discomfort.

@Ruin

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Nov 2 2017, 09:47 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

They were a pair indeed.

W'ryn was on borrowed time before the fever came and made it all that much worse, and even now Ulian could feel it creeping through their body, just under their skin. They kept seeing things out of the corner of their eyes, but Rivath chased them away. Or maybe it wasn't Rivath, maybe it was a large iridescent tunnelsnake the size of Rivath. Ulian didn't know. They knew it didn't matter. They could give into delirium soon enough. They just wanted a few more moments of relative happiness. A few more moments in this tiny little world.

"No reason to apologize or worry now, it's all behind us. Chalk it up to another pair of people doing the best they can to stay out of each other's way, while secretly wanting the complete opposite. It seems to happen a lot around here." Ulian was sinking back into their chair, slowly but surely. Though they kept their hand loosely held within W'ryn's own. Just a little bit of contact to keep them grounded as they found their way slowly into the darkness of fever. There was no telling what horrors they would see, but they knew sure as anything that Rivath would do her best to set them straight. She had a way with the mind, like they did.

"My bravery for now then, and yours later. Maybe together we'll be the best sort of brave. You should be resting, you know," they chided softly, and they were not one to do the chiding, that was for certain. "I fear I may be laid out beside you when next you wake, and possibly unresponsive. Just look to Earth and Rivath, they'll let you know that there is nothing to fear. It shouldn't be much longer now until the Healers figure out all the plants in the jungle. Shouldn't be much longer until there's some way to help, and even now," even now the tunnelsnake was coiling itself around their body from below, reaching its mouth out toward W'ryn as if attempting to steal them away.

Ulian ignored the apparition.

"People are recovering, and helping one another. We just need a little break, and then it's back to work. Rest now, rest and do not worry. I'll be here beside you one way or another." The Healer meant that. They doubted O'men would separate them now, even if they had little of their own strength left to call to the Cyanrider and ask for help. Someone would come by eventually to check on W'ryn and find them there tossing, delirious, and steeped in a deep fever. If Rivath didn't call for help first. One day at a time. That was all, just one day, then another, and another after that...

@Tobes
-I figure we can fluid some things here, since Ulian is going to progress through Stage 2 to Stage 3, so we can either do a reply per day or we can just free thought flow it. W'ryn is currently Stage 2 but will be getting another roll in a couple hours to either heal or get even worse.

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Nov 3 2017, 03:27 PM
Wingrider

N/A

199 Posts
3606 Marks

With some effort they pulled Ulian’s hand to their mouth, placing a kiss on the back of the Healer’s knuckles before letting both fall back to where they had been. Took a long moment to register how hot their skin had felt despite both of them being knee-deep in fever. Somehow they could not connect the thoughts properly, though the sound of Ulian’s voice was a lifeline to reason, and aching body and all W’ryn found that they were smiling easily. It was surreal to feel so happy. There was a brief flicker of guilt in realizing that they were having such feelings in the middle of what seemed like half the Weyr dying all around them. Had they been so happy that they pulled it from everyone else, and some of this suffering was the vacuum left? But that didn’t make any sense either, and Earth was pressing gently through their bond, calling them back. The world snapped into focus. It took a moment to find Ulian’s face again.

“I’ll rest when you do,” was the automatic response though they could not muster the usual teasing tone, try as they might. With purposeful effort they opened their eyes to look into Ulian’s face and hands, anything they could see of them. No doubt neither of them looked their usual in that moment, feverish and bruised, but W'ryn would not face the long dark of delirium without as much of Ulian as their mind could commit. They tried several times to say something but it never quite came out, a stutter of sound that might have been any number of things. What did you say to someone who may not be there when you woke? or if it were the last thing you ever got to say?

"See you on the other side, love." Said with a desperate sort of hopefulness as they finally closed their eyes. They knew that delirium caught up to Ulian first--they were still in a wavering half-reality, lost as much to pain as to the rising temperature of their body--and finally thought to call for a Healer, though it was more whisper than call, and Earth assured them that all was well. He was not a dragon much given to providing comfort, but his mental presence was sturdy, rough-edged. Something to lean into and hold on while the ground spun away. If nothing else it was familiar. And something else, something lighter, free and lilting, Rivath? And W'ryn imagined themselves with the strength of the mountain at their back and the press of cold sky above.

And then the coughing started in earnest and that was the last of their worrying about anything beyond that. There was nothing to be done but try to lay still and wonder, in a disassociative haze, if it was possible for a broken body to fall apart at the seams. What could possibly still be holding them together? Their whole body felt on fire, shot through now and then with the searing pain of bones shifting.

In truth, the delirium that grew and consumed their thoughts was a blessing. They did not know or care to know if a Healer brought them fellis or no, if either of them were hoisted by a dragon and taken through the cold dark of beween. There were times when all memory of Ulian, even of Earth, disappeared entirely, though when they rose nearer the surface of consciousness again they reflexively reached for both, one by hand and one by mind. Some of the hallucinations were even pleasant, at least to begin with--sometimes the feeling of freefall as their dragon dropped from his ledge, sometimes the fierce joy of hunting felines in the Southern wilds, their strong legs carrying them with surety after the baying of hounds. Most ended, and some even began, in nightmare. Often the horror of Thread descending to trap them against Earth's back. Or something malignant and alien creeping through the Lower Caverns, slowly but surely cornering them, whispering hateful things in their father's voice.

Most often all of these coalescing into an enormous snake, larger than life, larger than Golds, that crushed them until their lungs caved in. No longer worried for the effect it would have on Ulian they gave voice to their fear and hurt, more often in whimpers than actual words.

@Ruin

(OOC: Whooo fluid time. Can't promise I'll get a post up every day so free flow is probably less stressful. Guess this would be starting at Stage 1 but ending in Stage 2.)

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 01:15 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

"Not if I see you first," Ulian whispered in what they thought would be a cute and somewhat witty reply, but instead seemed somewhat senseless--and probably was. Soon enough the Healers came for them and moved them onto a cot placed alongside W'ryn's. Ulian most certainly would not be the first to see them. When they succumbed to the jungle fever, they fell hard, and while W'ryn's illness seemed almost fleeting--leaving them only to fight admittedly grievous injuries--Ulian's seemed to deepen with every passing day.

They would remember only flashes.

Rivath's mind like a great serpent in their head, or perhaps a serpent on their legs. At one point it was trying to devour the Bluerider beside them and Ulian was certain they were screaming, but no one came to help and the world faded to an inky blackness that washed the horrors away. By the next morning the only time they seemed conscious they were so busy expelling a gelatinous mucous from their lungs that they couldn't speak. Could do little more than try to find it in their power to breathe.

Everything hurt, or burned, every cough tore at muscles they didn't know even existed in their body. Their chest showed visible bruising, and by the end of that day they had fractured at least two of their own ribs from the prolonged coughing necessary to keep air moving in and out of their lungs. It had been a full day of worried glances, of Healers who believed the newly-minted Master would lose their life, a full day of restless delirium where Ulian couldn't even call for help and could only take what comfort they might have gleaned from Rivath's presence and W'ryn's watchful gaze.

Yet the fever broke.

The die had been cast in their favor, or what other sort of Bitra-born phrase could be applied to the fact that Ulian would remain in their cot while countless others were wrapped and carried out of the Infirmary to be taken Between for the last time. They didn't know the numbers, the only slowly came into awareness and barely knew anything at all. Not even if the nightmares were truly over or if..."am I dead?" The raspy faint question whistled out between their chapped lips at some point in the early afternoon. Sweat still glistened on their brow, but the flush of fever seemed to recede with every beat of their strengthening heart. Even the question seemed too much a burden for their lungs, as it triggered an almost immediate coughing fit, which produced enough from their lungs that they had to turn in order to spit it up and not choke on it.

Alive enough, then.

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 01:46 AM
Wingrider

N/A

199 Posts
3606 Marks

As in most things, W'ryn came to fighting. Even the protest that was their own body could not stop them, but instead gave a hard lurch forward, one arm (the more capable, thankfully) rising to meet some invisible foe, the other shifting defensively to defend their chest and face. The defiant roar that threatened to come along with it almost instantly petered into something less impressive, for it took precisely that long for their brain to catch up to where their own body had not. They slumped back as quickly as they had tried to rise, eyes wide open and searching. More surprising than waking up in a body-not-whole was that this time was that they woke up to their entire mind. No dulling fellis, no illness skewing their reason sideways.

It was a lot to take in all at once. They were aware of lying in sheets still soaked with sweat, but cold enough that the fever must have broken some candlemarks earlier. Despite its short-lived break for freedom, their body was still very hurt, and without the heat of fever were aware of how badly each muscle had solidified, cramped and inflamed to the point that even a turn of the head was asking much. But they had reached the end of their need for near-constant sleep. The treetail was curled at their side, a coincidental mirror to the warmth that was Rivath tucked against Earth’s flank. Which meant that Ulian had not left them either. It was night, or a very early morning. Earth was asleep and so was most of the Infirmary. The glows had been dimmed to encourage sleep—somewhere beyond the curve of their vision a night-shift Healer was making rounds, and all around were the sounds of people breathing, or trying to and failing.

W’ryn turned their head, never minding the rattling cough that the movement encouraged, their hand already grasping weakly for where Ulian had been last. And found empty air. They might have panicked were it not for the knowledge of Rivath. It took some doing—everything was so stiff, half of it had been lashed down by O’men anyway—but they managed to tilt their body, leaning into their snake-bitten arm so they could at least look into the cot next to them.

W’ryn let out a shaking breath, unsure of what emotion to be feeling and so feeling all of them at once. The Mindhealer was alive, but only just, and W’ryn was struck with the absurd foolishness of having hoped so strongly that at the other end of fever lay normalcy.

“Hey.” Their voice creaked and they had to clear their throat, stop to cough again, try over. “Hey. I’m here. Ulian, I’m here.” They wiggled more, grunted and cursed the uncooperative parts that kept them from being able to do more than lay a hand lightly at their friend’s side. The arrival of dawn and more Healers found them like that, W’ryn still trying to maneuver so that they could be closer, thwarted by pesky things like broken ribs and pillows. They knew enough to offer no argument and helped to move them closer, propping W’ryn up and scooting them closer so that they weren’t in danger of hurting themselves further.

There was no sleep left to be had in the Bluerider. So while Ulian coughed their life away W’ryn held watch. They stroked the Healer’s impossibly pale hair away from their damp forehead, made soft “shhh” noises whenever their body was wracked with coughing. And talked to them, quietly, even though there was no reason to think they could hear. Things that might help bring them back: that someone appeared to be recovering, or the antics of the treetail, who offered a bit of comic relief to the otherwise heart-wrenching day. W’ryn themself had already found several nuts stashed in their clothing, apparently supplied by an animal-loving Healer. That this was like the time they had stayed up all night caring for a sick litter of canine pups. That so many people needed them, and it wasn’t right for a backwater bumpkin like W’ryn to survive while the world’s greatest Mindhealer flirted with death. That a certain backwater bumpkin probably needed them, too.

W’ryn talked until their voice broke, and then kept watch, sleeping only in small bursts throughout the night. As if death might be kept at bay if one were only wary enough.

It was too much to hope that Ulian was coming back. All of their combined hopes had clearly been absurd from the beginning. The following day seemed to be bringing it all to a head, although to what end W’ryn could not tell until the very last. Ulian’s first words in—two days? three? W’ryn had lost track of it all—brought a bark of laughter so loud that it sent them into another fit of coughing. Nothing like Ulian’s, only a dry little rattle, even if it brought back all the sharp memories of the jungle’s perils.

“Not dead. Not even a little.” Their response was likely lost in the coughing fit that followed Ulian’s query. W’ryn made soothing noises and laid their hand at the other’s shoulder, such a little bit of contact to try and funnel their support through.

“Though y’tried shardin’ hard enough, and I reckon the Healers would be thankful if y’took a break from it.”

@Ruin

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Jan 27 2018, 02:51 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

Ulian laughed, then coughed. Sighed, and then coughed again, then laughed and started all over again. It wasn't a very strong, jolly laugh, but it was amused enough to shine through how soft it had to be from the weight of fluid in their lungs. "Too awful feeling to be dead," they conceded before another fit of coughing brought up a fist-sized reddish-green lump. They looked at it in horror before shuddering and throwing it into the nearby pail. "I'd like to sleep forever please," they begged halfheartedly, then put on a brave smile for the Bluerider near them, reaching up to pat their hand as comfortingly as they could--which really meant their hand sort of flopped upon theirs like a fish for a few moments before it tumbled away. "The worst is over, for the both of us," mostly.

"How are you? How is every part of you?" They strained to sit up enough to see if W'ryn was whole: all limbs, as crushed as they had been. None amputated. Not that it would have changed anything, but it was a difficult thing to survive when paired with an illness as terrible as this one. "How long were you ill? You seem..." another coughing fit, another lump of...something...from within their chest. Better out than to drown, they supposed. "You seem better off than I am, in that department at least." A wry smile, because Ulian, of course, had not been crushed near to death by an enormous snake of death.

"I think," another cough, "you can have my Healers back from me. I just need to," and another. "Work it out." An exhausted sigh. Every sentence seemed to take longer than the last. A shape uncoiled and coalesced in the corner of their eye and Rivath's snout appeared as she practically climbed onto and over the cot they lay on. For a brief confusing moment they thought she was going to lay on them--and they wondered if perhaps they were still lost in fever dreams--but instead her snout pressed to their head where she breathed in deeply. They felt her mind press in as tight as could fit inside their skull, felt all her love and adoration--and the truth that she had been absolutely certain she would lose them--and then she was gone. Back to coil with Earth who had been an unwitting tether to sanity for her.

Ulian smiled. "I'm okay, I'm okay, not going anywhere now." And that, that was assurance for everyone; every person, every dragon, everyone within earshot.

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil