April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Inquisition, SP:17 [Open; Tagged Players]
Ives
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 11:35 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Peering around her much larger accomodations Norla let loose the breath she had not intended to hold in. In the span of a few days many things had changed, including where she lived. Not only were her living quarters double, if not triple the size of the wherhole she'd called home since graduation but there was a whole new heap of responsibility placed upon her shoulders now as well. Fingers raked through her short golden locks, at one point she had grown her hair to shoulder length but recently she'd cut it short again as she found she enjoyed it more. Pacing back and forth she had a brief moment of doubt before her bronze settled it for her, Norsk tell Nor-la she best. Norsk best too. Care everything. Keep everyone safe and sound., the bronze was practically beaming as he inspected the room for the millionth time before settling onto his rock couch. In his mind this was where they were always meant to be - he wasn't sure why his bonded underestimated herself the way she did. Be call candi-dates soon?

Ah, right. A stack of hides sat upon her desk in the office portion of her new home. Picking one up she squinted at the letters until the words slowly came together the way they should; though she'd been taught to read as a young girl there wasn't a large need for it on the isles. From the height of the hides she'd have to go through she at least knew she'd have plenty of time to practice and hone her skills. A few of the candidates for dragons had expressed interest in the wher clutch - she assumed they were drawn by the golden egg that Lady Irohvyne had brought along with the rest of the clutch. She wondered what made them think they would serve better as a handler than a rider, why they should be permitted upon the sands with others who had been hopeful for possibly turns? She supposed it was her job to find out just that. A note had been posted in the candidate barracks letting them know that the Alphahandler intended to speak to many - if not all - of them about the clutch and their position as wher hopefuls. It was time for her to follow through with just that.

Eyes focused on the hide again before she picked up another one. It had taken her some time but she had managed to go over the transfer papers for those who recently transfered in - it was those she would like to speak to first. So many had come just before the clutch was delivered and even more poured in now that news had spread of a golden wher egg at Dalibor. It almost seemed unfair to have so many come just for that though she understood what it might bring to the Weyr if they had enough candidates on the sands to prevent an on-looker from impressing the queen. The last thing they needed now was to lose her to someone who had no intentions of staying around. With a heavy sigh she poured a glass of juice before filling her own mug with klah. It was night out but those she planned to speak to should already be up - the dragon candidates who had expressed interest in standing for whers would be called another night. Picking out the name on the hide she was holding she nodded to Norsk who did the honors, Bas-il-i-are. Nor-la request presence now.

Throughout the evening she would offer the same greeting to each candidate she called upon, "Though we have not been properly introduced my name is Norla, I am the Alphahandler and thus in charge of your fate when it comes to standing for whers. Now, let's get started."

Basiliare
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Offering the girl a cup of juice she waited until introductions were done before glancing over the girl's hide once more. Sipping from her mug of klah she leaned forward with her knees resting on her elbows, "It says you joined the wher program at Benden at thirteen turns, and that you are...", there was a pause as she counted quickly, "Sixteen turns now. Three turns as a wher candidate without luck. How many clutches did you stand for? What prompted you to leave Benden for Dalibor?" Not an interrogation by any means, Norla did her best to smile and use a friendly tone - it wouldn't do to have her scaring the candidates off. Sitting upright once more she drew another sip from her mug as she waited for the girl to answer.

A candlemark passed before the first candidate left her office. Leaning back until her head dangled backwards and her eyes met the ceiling she groaned, "This is going to take all night." Leaving his couch Norsk stalked over to the girl to lay his head in her lap, Be call next? Reaching out blindly she plucked another hide from the stack and held it up over her head so she could read it. Once the name was in her mind Norsk called out, Kaiz-re. Come see Nor-la now. By the time the young man entered her office she had finished off her mug of klah and refilled it from the pitcher. A new cup was filled with juice and left for the candidate to enjoy as he saw fit.

Kaizre
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Standing even though the candidate was seated Norla paced back and forth leisurely, taking only a few steps each time. "From what I read you came from Benden Weyr. I noted you have a brother here but he plans to stand for dragons, why aren't you doing the same?" Head cocked slightly to one side as she regarded the younger man, reminded of how her brother had become a rider and she a handler. "Are you close? You and your brother I mean. You realize that should you find yourself a handler and he a rider you will only see each other very rarely. It can strain any relationship, even that of two brothers. Do you think you are ready to lose your brother if it means gaining a wher?" A fair question if not presented with the utmost sensitivity; she didn't have time to beat around the bush - she needed to know who would cut it and who would not.

More time passed with this candidate than the one before him and Norla wasted no time in having Norsk call forth the next one on her list, Kol-bi. Nor-la wait for you. Come now. A fresh cup of juice waited for this candidate and as he entered Norla blinked a few times and squinted slightly at him, "Aren't you already a dragonrider?" Certainly he looked like one of the newly graduated weyrlings - but logic won over suspicion and she nodded, "Brother then?"

Kolbi
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"Well then since your brother has already impressed I suppose you're eager to do the same. Yet you likely don't need me to tell you that if you impress a wher you'll hardly see him anymore. How do you plan to handle that?" Covering the fleeting frown that seized her features behind a mug of klah her eyes darted away from the boy for a moment. Dalibor didn't host many twins that she knew of so she hadn't been forced to think of Narla until now. Norsk offered a gentle croon to His as she pushed thoughts of her twin sister out of her mind, there was no time for that now. "You should be honest with me now, do you hope you find a dragon or a wher? Which calls to you more?"

She settled back into her chair as the candidate left, downing another mug of klah. It would be a long night - she had more candidates to get through as well as a list of others she wished to meet. The Weyr was home to plenty of others that might be deemed worthy by a wher hatchling and she needed to meet them all - it wouldn't do to have someone seated in the stands that might catch the eye of a wheret who clearly didn't deserve such an honor. Norsk nudged her side with his head as she picked up the next hide. With a heavy sigh she nodded, "Call the next one."

Ly-kai-os. Nor-la be waiting. A soft croon sounded from the wher as they waited for the latest Candidate to arrive. Nor-la be do fine, best Alpha. As the young man arrived she swept her hand towards the seat in front of her while adding privately to her wher, I'm not so sure.

Lykaios
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"Frontier Weyr. Before then you were a...", pausing a moment her eyes sweep over the hide before looking back up at the stark faced man, "trader. What prompts someone used to the freedom of moving about to want to settle down? What will ensure you stay at Dalibor should you stand and impress? I have no interest in you pairing off only to take your wher on the road."

Though her words were rather harsh she was doing her best to be friendly by offering a soft smile and nodding to the juice she'd set out for him. "Do you have experience with whers or dragons? Has the responsibility that comes with a wher been properly explained to you?" There was a look in his eyes she didn't immediately place, familiar though she'd never met the man before. Mulling over it she was surprised when Norsk spoke up, Be happy be here? A fair question - from his face he certainly didn't look happy to be here.

A tiresome candlemark passed with the candidate before she dismissed him, pinching the bridge of her nose. "We are done, right? That's it?" Eyes pressed closed tightly as if she could will the remaining stack away but when she opened them again the stack was still very much intact. Taking a deep breath she nodded to the wher who was already on top of things, Kid-anyr. Come now. Nor-la here.

Kidanyr
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"You've been at the Weyr for quite some time," far longer than she had been at Dalibor but that was beside the point, "I will be completely blunt. Candidates that choose to stand for both are worrisome for me. How do I know your heart will be dedicated to your wher when you cannot even commit to standing for a wher over a dragon?" Time was dragging them deeper into the evening and Norla knew she had a number of other candidates to speak to still, [b]"You've helped with other candidates from what I've been told; tell me about that. Leadership is important across the board to wherhandlers."

A break was taken from the candidates as she made her way to the dining hall for her dinner. Meatrolls and more klah were aquired as well as another pitcher of juice for the candidates she was hosting in her office. On her way back to her office she hip bumped against her bronze while providing him the next name, the candidate being called so they could meet at her office. Ma-li-ka. Your turn. Nor-la be there soon.

Malika
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"You were searched for dragons, yet chose whers according to your file. Why is it you have chosen whers? Not that I am complaining of course - simply curious." Already Norla liked the young woman if only for that fact alone. Few chose to stand solely for whers when offered the chance to stand for dragons. "How important is your craft to you? Do you intend to continue with your craft should you impress?" Food had helped with her biting attitude and she relaxed in her seat some, "What would you say is your greatest weakness?"

Sipping her klah she took a moment to re-read the candidate's hide before she had Norsk call for her. Facts about each one were beginning to blend together and she wanted to be sure she was going over the right things with the right candidate. Seeing the age on the hide she cringed slightly, the girl seemed so young but still she was a candidate - Norla needed to do her due diligence to ensure the girl was really ready. Nym-er-ia, Nor-la waits!

Nymeria
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
As the girl took a seat Norla offered her some juice as she thought over how to best approach things with her. After a moment she gave a warm smile, "So Nymeria, I expect you may have some questions for me." Leaning forward with her elbows propped on her knees she added, "Tell me, what do you consider to be your greatest strength?"

Sitting back up she took a drink from her mug of klah before offering the girl one of the sweets she had snagged from the kitchens during her dinner.

As soon as the young girl had left Norsk called on the next one, Shae-dry-n. Come see Nor-la now. Norla smiled as the pile of hides left was smaller than the ones she had already gone through. Not much longer now and she would be done, not that she would be heading to bed as she had much to think over. The last candidate's age called into question a few things for the handler and she'd need to address that sooner rather than later. The next girl arrived and Norla offered a kind smile as she motioned for her to have a seat.

Shaedryn
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"It's rather late and I would like to make this as quick as possible. What do you believe a wherhandler's role to be? Should you impress what do you see yourself doing in your night to night life?" Norla was standing now and walking slowly across the span of her office. "Do you have any questions for me about whers? Certainly you saw Westek at Western, but what have you learned since coming to Dalibor about whers?"

This time she drained her mug before looking over the hide with an arched brow. Filling her mug from the pitcher of klah she groaned, "Just a few more. Go ahead and call this one in." A soft nip was offered to his handler's ankle as if to help keep her focused as he called on the next candidate, Zel come to Nor-la now.

Zel
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
As soon as she entered the office Norla began, wasting time when she was nearly done with this leg of her duties seemed a dimwitted thing to do, "You came here from Bay Weyr and before that you were at Eastern. With a queen egg on the sands what is there to keep you here should you impress?" Of course Norla had looked over the girl's hide well enough to know she had an older brother at the weyr as well, it was likely she'd followed him but the handler wasn't about to make assumptions that might cost the Weyr. "I have no desire to put someone on the sands whose loyalty is up for grabs and whose wanderlust has not yet been sated; the queen that hatches is expected to stay at Dalibor. All of the clutch is important to our wher program so again, are you here to stay or will you leave?"

Stifling a yawn as another candlemark had passed while she was busy with the last candidate she gave a wearisome nod to Norsk. Zh-iesh-kal re-quired. Nor-la waits.

Zhieshkal
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"Tell me about a challenge you've faced in your life, and how you dealt with it. Bonding to a wher is not always easy - are you up for that callenge? Where do you see yourself in five turns from now should you impress? If you do not impress at this clutch do you plan to continue standing for dragons and whers?" Pausing to sip from her mug she sighs softly, "Do you hold out hope for a dragon or a wher more?"

Done with the candidates that expected to stand for whers she only had two left - dragon candidates who had expressed interest in this clutch. No doubt they were intruiged by the golden egg and she considered the time. It was no skin off her nose if Norsk's call woke them, though if the Candidatemasters were doing their jobs they'd have the pair of them on a day and night schedule. How else would they be expected to learn enough about whers to be useful to the program should they impress? So while the bronze's voice was soft he still called to the first one, running the risk of waking him. Zae-phor. Nor-la be waiting for you. Come now. A pause before he added, Sorry if wake.

Zaephor
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"Did we wake you by calling you? My apologies if so. Still you agreed to stand for whers so you must expect some late nights." A mug of klah was offered to the young man before she began, "As I understand it you are interested in this particular clutch. Is it because of the golden egg? It's alright if it is. Still I must ask if you intend to stay if you do impress. You see with the queen egg we cannot take any chances. Like I told your sister I have no intentions of putting someone on the sands that might impress the queen and leave. So tell me, what are your intentions?"

Sipping from her mug she offers a bright smile despite how tired she was, it was the most talking she'd done in quite some time. Perhaps the most talking she had ever done. "Tell me about a time that you disagreed with a decision that was made. How did you handle it?"

The next candidate was given the same soft consideration as the first, Ash-aki. Nor-la be waiting, come soon as can. Sorry if wake. As soon as she entered Norla gave a friendly, if not tired smile, "It is late but this is something you should get accustomed to in the event you impress."

Ashaki
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"You've been at Dalibor for awhile now, how are you liking it? Have you had the opportunity to do any hands on work with handlers since opting to stand for the new wher clutch?" She wasn't certain just how recently the girl had made the decision to stand. "Tell me, what do you think a wherhandler's duties are within the Weyr? As there is a golden egg among the clutch, how do you think a goldhandler's duties differ from others?"

There was one last candidate to call upon before she was done for the evening. Norsk snorted lightly before calling the young man, Dhiren. Nor-la waits. Hurry. When he arrived Norla nodded to the seat in front of her before offering a friendly, if not tired smile.

Dhiren
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"Bitra is a long ways away from Dalibor, what brought you here?" Norla arched a brow before sitting back more comfortably in her chair. "Have you always been interested in whers? Tell me, do you know how often a baby wher needs to be oiled?" Easy enough questions to start off with, it was late and she was interested to know his answers before she asked any further.

Another hide fell free from the others as she was piling them up neatly, causing Norla to curse under her breath. She had missed one of the new transfers. With a heavy sigh she scratched Norsk's neck as he called the candidate, Cam-ill-e. You come now. Last one. Nor-la wait.

Camille
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
"I assume your sudden transfer to Dalibor has something to do with the golden egg on the sands?" There was no beating around the bush with the young woman as Norla gazed across the desk at her. "After all, Eastern's wher program is beginning to pick up more and last I heard they had a gold about to run. Why come here when you have just as much a chance of impressing there?"

As the last candidate left Norla slowly took in a deep breath before letting it out just as slowly. She had learned quite a bit about the candidates Dalibor hosted tonight. Tomorrow she would need to learn about the weyrfolk and crafters. Finishing off the pitcher of klah she sat back at her desk and began to scrawl out her thoughts onto a hide, best to get it all out before she forgot any details from the evening.

@Ruriko @Leo @Lee @Catsitta @Boo @Blot @Sable @Orella

[Though multiple people are tagged treat this as a one-on-one thread with Norla. No post order. Unless called into her office together or approached while with others it is to be assumed that there are no others present outside of your character and Norla. Tag back when you reply so I can read and reply in a timely manner. Any questions your candidates may have are welcome and please note that Norla will have further questions for them pending your response - assume them leaving comes after she dismisses them ICly in follow up replies.]

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 07:17 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Ivy

Basiliare

The sixteen-turn-old candidate wasted no time in immediately responding to the summons. There were wher eggs on the sands, and she was sure that the fact there was a gold among them would see this particular clutch being taken quite seriously. She knew what it meant for Dalibor to gain another gold to its ranks. Even more whers in general was a good thing. Though she'd stood at three hatchings at Benden, there had been no golds among them. It was a big deal, she understood it. Still, while there was much honor in bonding a gold, it was a lot of responsibility. She couldn't help but wonder what kind a person a queen wher would choose. Well, she'd not yet met the Alphahandler, who had bonded a bronze. Nor Nevitheran, who'd bonded gold. She imagined they must be possessed of good, solid heads on their shoulders and personalities that could handle such creatures. Whers, unlike their more docile kin, were more prone to being difficult to handle and requiring that they respect you to do so.

She made her way to Norla and Norsk at a brisk pace, stopping for nothing and arriving shortly. When she arrived, she gave a formal bow to the Alphahandler and the bronze both, before making her reply.

"Basiliare, Alphahandler, though I know you know this already," there was the slightest hint of a smile there, but it was gone and she was all seriousness once more as she took the offered juice, with a polite, "Thank you." People closer to her called her 'Lia', but that hardly mattered.

She wasn't nervous, not really. This would be expected of all the candidates, and she understood the importance. Taking a small sip of the juice, her blue eyes didn't leave Norla's face as the Alphahandler spoke. The questions, when they came, weren't precisely unexpected. She was a transfer to Dalibor, and it was a fair question, to ask what had prompted her to leave. The other question, however, was less expected. She knew she wasn't the only one who had stood a few clutches and been left un-bonded. Still, it was Norla's right to ask that, too, and she could see no real issue with answering all questions honestly--she preferred to be straightforward and honest.

"Yes, that's correct. Three clutches at Benden, none of them with golds. I believe the right match, the one that's meant for me, will happen when it's supposed to," she added. She wasn't at all bothered by the fact she'd been left Standing. Many of her fellow candidates weren't happy. Yet she'd rather be with the right match for her and be left Standing than to bond and it be a match that wasn't as right. The wher meant for her, it was out there, somewhere. She was sure of it. "I wanted to strike out on my own," came the answer, after a moment's thoughtful pause. "I was born at Benden, and spent the entirety of my life there. My parents and my elder sister are dragonriders. I know it was expected that I, too, would Stand and Impress a dragon. I'm sure it is an honor...yet I've always been drawn to whers. Bonding one speaks to me in a way that the idea of being a dragonrider does not," she answered, feeling that the Alphahandler might understand, with a fine bronze of her own at her side. Many people had tried to talk her out of Standing for whers rather than dragons. Some thought they were inferior. To Lia, this was simply a ridiculous notion. She thought them equals. She wanted to be honest with Norla, and so in full disclosure, added, "My elder sister has ever been my idol. Save that I don't wish for a dragon, everything she is, I strove to be. Responsible, hard-working, brave, honest...her qualities are ones I value. Still, I found myself constantly riding on her coat-tails and it made me realize that if I am to be a handler, I need to grow and become more my own person. I am not her, and she is not me. It's the other reason I decided to come here. A chance to grow." She wasn't sure that it counted in her favor, to admit she'd been clinging to her sister and attempting to be more like her. Still, the qualities she strove to mimic were good ones. There was no shame in that, not to her. She took another sip of juice, and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. She was well aware that Norla made the final call on who stood. Yet she could not be anyone but who she was. If the Alphahandler saw her worthy, that was good. If not, she would work harder to prove herself so.

Lykaios

He'd been sitting alone after the completion of chores, where the fellow candidate he'd done them with had quickly stopped talking to him. He got the feeling he unnerved other people, but he didn't really care. He preferred to be left alone, or interact on his own terms. When the summons came from Norsk, he got up in a smooth, fluid motion and began to walk, though it looked almost like stalking, in the direction of the summoner. He moved rather quickly, not even pausing when side-stepping people on his way, rather, he seemed to move around them without hardly moving at all, never slowing his pace. Only once he'd arrived did he stop, to stand rather than sit, his back to a wall. Instinctively, he preferred it there. He hardly realized the things he did, conditioned by so many turns in the wilds. Nothing could attack you from behind when you had your back protected by solid rock, or a tree...it was just safer this way.

She motioned to the seat, and he warily eyed her, and the large wher with her. He didn't want to sit down, it made him feel restless and uncomfortable. Green-gold eyes met Norla's a moment. She was the Alpha here. He didn't trust her, but her rank meant she was strong, and he didn't particularly care to offend someone who had secured that rank. Especially not since, as displeasing as the thought was, she would be Alpha in a truer sense should he bond. He well knew the importance of relationships of this nature. This, at least, he understood. She'd never done anything to earn his respect, but she'd not come into her title for nothing. Strength, he respected. Was she a good Alpha, though? That remained to be seen. Still, he didn't think she was going to try and harm him. After that moment's pause in which all these thoughts transpired, the man, eyes never leaving Norla's face, sat in the offered seat, silent as a stone while she asked her questions of him. Again, a pause. Trust was not easy for him, and he didn't trust anyone who didn't earn it. These were questions that he sensed were important. He could not answer, but it wouldn't accomplish anything.

"It was explained," he finally answered, eyes darting momentarily to the door, and then back to her. He was like a restless, caged animal inside. Yet, he had his own convictions. He had come here with purpose, and he had no intention of leaving. "Purpose. Direction. I've no intention of leaving." His voice was hard, but adamant. For a moment, his thoughts were at war with one another. How much to disclose? Did it matter? He felt, in that instant, that it might. She wanted answers, and he could do what he normally did and give her the short end of that...yet this moment felt more urgent than someone simply questioning him to delve into what was not their place to know. "Experience, yes. More than most. Wild whers will kill you if you disturb them--especially those with clutches. I know more about them than most. Their habits, their needs. Yours here are different. No one oils the wild ones. They care for their own, but I have seen it done. Rest assured, I can care for any that chooses me. I've had a long time to study them, though in their natural state. I've a vested interest in them." The whole of it was more than he'd said to anyone since arriving here. Questions were answered with 'yes', 'no', or the shortest possible replies.

Responsibility...well, it was that. Yet he had a feeling most of the people here had no idea what it was like to be twelve turns of age and completely alone. Responsibility meant learning to watch for Threadfall, or you died. It meant taking care of yourself, and two firelizards, while knowing you could be killed by wild felines, whers...it meant learning to survive, with no one to help you but yourself. Caring for a wher? That was nothing compared to what he'd been through. He didn't need to spout his own strengths and virtues to this woman, no matter who she was. Words were nothing, actions everything. Did she know this? Perhaps. Perhaps he would share, if only slightly. His future was why he was here. Direction. Purpose. Just like he'd said.

"I've understood responsibility since I was twelve. Seven years in the wilds alone, unless you count two firelizards, and the wild felines, whers and other creatures. I can assure you I understand it very, very well. I'm alive." If that last wasn't proof of this, nothing was. When Norsk's voice touched his mind, his eyes widened just a little, resisting the urge to dash out of the seat so fast she might not have even seen him move. He hadn't been expecting to have the wher speak to him, yet his mind quickly told him he'd heard that voice just before he'd arrived. It surprised him, and he was taken aback a bit by the question. He wasn't much for lying, and he had more respect for the bronze creature than he did for any human. It was strong, and whers, too, were survivors. He didn't pause this time before answering. "No. I don't believe I know what that is. Yet I will stay. I meant it when I said I've no intention of leaving. Maybe I'll find it, that or make it, here." This last was a little softer, as if he almost said it to himself, though he was still looking at the wher, wondering what had prompted the question. Could Norsk have known he was unhappy? That he had nothing, and no one, and had come here seeking something he couldn't quite name? Was that thing...happiness? Perhaps. He'd been happy, once. A vague memory, before he'd felt distanced from every other living thing save his firelizards.

Malika

She was in the smithy when her summons came, and the young woman cursed a little under her breath as she realized the work she was doing would have to be halted at a poor time. Still, her duties lie first and foremost with the whers, now. She would not disrespect the Alphahandler by being tardy. Though it gave her displeasure to abandon her work and have to go through the whole process again, she quickly removed her apron and placed it back where it had hung, and walked to the water basin where she cleaned her hands and face of sweat, wiping down her bare arms as well, all as fast as she was able--but a few moments--and made her way at a brisk jog to the Alphahandler's office. Her chest swelled a little when she saw she was first to arrive, and she stood tall, hands folded behind her back while she stared straight ahead and waited. It was rude to snoop about another's place, so she did not allow wandering eyes to invoke curiosity too much. Soon, Norla arrived, and she nodded politely to the woman. Once polite greetings were exchanged, she waited for the bronzehandler to ask her questions before making her answer. There was no hesitation in her replies, when they came. They were open and frank. She had nothing to hide from this woman, after all. Either she would accept her or not, she would not speak an untruth to change this woman's perception and try and deceive her in any way.

"Dragon's fly, Alphahandler. The ground is where I first lay my feet as a babe, and I intend to stay with these same feet planted firmly upon it! I respect dragons and the folk who are riding them and giving us protection, but the skies are not for me. Dragons are of a tamer sort, besides. I am no tame thing, and have no wish to fly. The wher is a fascinating beast. See how fine a creature they are?" With this, she flashed a bright, fierce-seeming smile at Norsk, her dark eyes alight with excitement. "My heart, it called me to Stand for the wher, not the dragon, Alphahandler. My grandfather, he is a wise man. He said to me: the heart wants what the heart wants, and we should trust it and follow it so long as it does not lead us to foolishness." She spoke with a clear respect for the man whom she was named for.

Her eyes flashed a moment, a swell of stubbornness and pride swallowed at that next question. She cleared her throat, and answered, chin tilted ever-so-slightly upwards as though daring anyone to look down on her for it, "my grandfather says I've a temper that runs hot like the forge when one applies too much air. This is my burden, but I shall bear it and I am learning to control it. I must bite my tongue and speak not so brazenly, my grandmother always says. I am a proud woman, Alphahandler. I do not take insult and nonsense from any man, woman or beast well. Yet I am strong, and I am capable, and I will get the better of my weaknesses and not hide in shame from them." Yes, her pride was evident, but there was a burning conviction in her words. She spoke the truth. Then came the next question, and this, too, was answered without hesitation.

"The craft is my passion, yes. Yet I know what undertaking I have chosen. My first responsibility lies to my candidacy, and this Weyr. To my wher, if I am seen fit to be chosen. I should like to continue my craft, if time and fate see it fit for me to do so. Yet I will not if my feet choose to trod a path that leads elsewhere. I am aware of where my priorities lie, and of the meaning of my choice to Stand, Alphahandler Norla. I will not fail my wher, my Weyr, nor you, should I make the bond. I will accept all responsibility that comes with my bond." Be it green, black, brown, bronze or gold, no matter. She would do what needed to be done, and do it as best as she may, and honorably. In a way that would make her grandparents proud.

Nym

Nym was wandering the lower caverns again when she got her summons from the Alphahandler, and her mouth set in a line. Well, she figured something like this was coming. There was supposed to be a gold in this clutch, and so everyone was likely to be checked out. It made perfect sense, yet the thirteen-turn-old wasn't exactly thrilled about it. Still, she knew the drill. Keep her nose clean, and don't let any person think she wasn't just as ready to be Standing as they were. She disdained the fact that she was the youngest candidate. Especially now that there was a gold. It was like everyone seemed to be thinking the same thing, in her mind: she was too young for the responsibility. She wouldn't stand a chance at that gold next to them. Well, they could keep their sharding opinions to themselves--and in truth, no one ever said it aloud that they thought those things. She was smart enough to know that her age was something others would hold against her. Besides, what was so great about gold anyways? Nothing. It was just a wher, and she wasn't stupid. She knew what wher, and what responsibility. Plus, she knew something they didn't: she was just as capable as any of them. She had confidence, she could keep better control of herself than most adults she had met, and she was perfectly sure she could handle whatever wher she bonded to. If she bonded. She knew there were only six or seven eggs, and a lot of candidates. Still, now wasn't the time for any kind of self doubt. She had this. So, it was with this in mind that she entered the Alphahandler's office.

She wasn't big on formalities, and no one had said she had to bow and do all that stuffy kind of thing. Still, she bet it was expected, and settled for a polite enough nod and greeting.

"Alphahandler Norla, Norsk," she said, words feeling a little odd on her tongue. Respect was the expected, and she wasn't going to start off showing this lady she had none, when she respected her just fine for being what she was, in her way. She took a seat across from Norla, and tilted her head sideways a moment, eyeing Norsk speculatively. Yeah, they were tough and pretty fierce. So was she, though. That's the thing no one ever counted on. She knew she was pretty mature for her age, too, 'cause people told her so all the time. It's why she had been allowed to be here at all.

Still, from the get go, she knew that Norla saw the weyrbrat, Nymeria, and not who she was. What had she expected? The Alphahandler was tough, she bet, but nice. She offered juice, and Nym took it with a 'thanks', but didn't take a sip. She was still curiously watching Norsk, green eyes attentive, until she was spoken to. She wasn't sure what kind of questions Norla expected she had. Well, she did have one, but did she really want to ask that? Was the woman going to take her seriously if she didn't? Because though in many senses she was very much still just a kid, in others, like her maturity, learning and experiences, she wasn't just some other kid. So, she turned that curious green gaze on Norla, an eyebrow raising slightly, thoughtfully.

"Sure, a couple," she replied, setting the cup down on the desk an arm length away, stretching out and then sitting back in the seat, though keeping posture better than her usual, relaxed way. Strength? Fair enough question. She had things she thought were strengths, sure. She had things she knew were, and not just thought. Better to go with that, wasn't it? Still, as she was offered a sweet, she had to resist the urge to frown a little. Yeah, this lady thought she was a kid, and this just solidified her belief on that. No need to be rude, but was Norla offering the other candidates these things, too? Sweets? Or did she associate kids with sweets? Well, it was time to get her out of that mind frame, real quick like. So, leaning forward a bit, she asked, face quite serious, "do you think me bein' thirteen makes me any less of a capable candidate for those whers?" A wry expression flitted across her face, and she also leaned back a little again, before accepting the sweet, and reaching over to place it on top of the cup of juice before looking, face a mask of seriousness, back at Norla. "I can bet'cha you're thinking I'm young for this all. Don't blame you. I get it. Thirteen's young when all the rest of 'em are at least a couple turns older, an' some older'n'that." A slight shrug of her shoulders, as she went on to answer Norla's own question. "I'm not thirteen where it counts. I'm just as capable, just as ready, as the rest of them, no matter their ages. When I mean to do something, I do it. I listen, I learn real fast 'cause I listen even better'n'most people I know of. I'm not scared, neither, of bonding any of the whers. Not even the gold. Sure, it'll change my life, but I can handle it. I do what I gotta', and I always have." She wondered if the woman would be able to see past her outer shell, here. Most people saw what their eyes showed them, and that was that. They were set in their ways, and they didn't believe a thing until they saw it.

"I know I look like just some weyrbrat kid to you. Age is just a number on a paper. What's on the inside counts for more. If I gotta' prove myself, let me assure you I can. You might not believe it until you see it. I got here 'cause I'm supposed to be here. I'm ready. Plus, I see people. Not like the outside of people, but what's inside. That counts for dragons, and it counts for whers. That matters, even if you might not think it does." It was true, she saw right through most people. Unfortunately, it meant she saw a lot of the bad. She didn't trust easily, because she'd seen that people could be close-minded, and that they were often very self-serving and she would rather be with the misfits and underdogs than those who stood on people to get where they were. Did that matter to someone like Norla? Curious to find out if it did, she added, "'nother strength is I'm gonna' always fight for those that get stepped on, or need it most." Sure, she didn't like to show she cared. She didn't act like she did, until it mattered. Until someone needed someone, or even maybe her. Then she surprised people a lot of the time, but she brushed it off and acted like that was not important, because to her, it's just what a decent human being ought to do.

Shae

Shae sighed when she was summoned. She'd overheard other candidates talking about how they'd been called to Norla's office, so it was no real surprise to her when she, too, was called. Still, she hated being interrogated, and had to beat down a very real desire to simply not go, and say she hadn't heard. Still, it was a load of shaffit, and she knew it, and Norsk would know it. Shardit. She really, really hated this kind of thing. Might as well get it over with.

She entered the room to be greeted by Norla, and was a little glad to hear that she wanted to expedite the process. The less nosy questions from this lady, the better. Still, she knew, though it rankled her, that she was going to have to answer things if she wanted to appease Norla. Then the questions came, and Shae had to keep the irritation from leaking out of her eyes. What kind of dimglow questions were these? Asking her the same things she learned in candidate lessons every day? Every candidate knew these things. Was this some kind of joke? Still, she kept her voice perfectly polite and level, trying not to let the aggravation show in her tone, either.

"We learn this all in candidate lessons, miss Norla. Of course I know the answers to these questions, the same as every other candidate does. Guarding, caring for my wher, patrolling, and maintaining training." As she listed off the things she'd been told she'd be doing, she ticked each off on a finger of her left hand with the pointer on her right, and then, after a slight pause, "more, I imagine, should I bond the gold. Maintaining politics among the troops, learning leadership skills from yourself and perhaps Nevithran, learning problem solving and tactical skills...was this what you meant?" Innocently enough, but slightly looking out from under her lashes to hide the fact she was still irate with the trivial kind of question that seemed, to her, to be a little insulting. Was she tired, and perhaps couldn't think of anything else? Well, then, she ought to have gone to bed, so she could do a proper sharding job of things. Not waste both of their time.

What did she know about whers? Nothing she was stupid enough to say in a direct manner to this bronzehandler, especially not with Norsk sitting right there. How the shells was she going to answer that one? She knew everything she needed to know, but she'd learned mostly wher care and how she was supposed to build up a bond with one in lessons, since arriving here.

"I didn't know much about Westesk. He was just the guard wher and I wasn't a wher candidate. I suppose you could say anything I learned was from candidate lessons, same as where I learned the rest of what I told you," she stated, trying very, very hard to keep the sarcasm out of her tone. She didn't want to say that she knew they were stupider than dragons. Inferior but perhaps easier to control and use to her ends. Misconception in some ways, but they weren't as intellectual, they were wilder beasts, and she was hot-headed and volatile as was. Any wher she got, they would likely both be in for quite the surprise. "I suppose I didn't know they needed to be oiled, or that they actually went between like dragons." She might as well keep pretenses up, stupid and annoying as this interrogation was. Seriously, how in Faranth's name did these questions even matter? What was this woman getting at? Suggesting, maybe, she thought Shae didn't pay attention in lessons? Because she couldn't think why the questions were so dull and straight lined.

Dhiren

Well, he'd known it was coming. Everyone who had any common sense would figure it was. There was a wher clutch on the sands, and the Alphahandler was responsible for it. There was a gold, and that made it a situation that would be handled with extra care. His mouth quirked in bemusement at the summons that came with instructions to 'hurry'. She'd probably had a stack of candidates to go through, and perhaps he was nearing the end of the list? It was only a wager, yet as good as any. So, he complied, long strides taking him with due haste to the wherhandler's office.

He hadn't met her before, but a quick assessment let him know a few things. She was young, perhaps close in age to himself, and he supposed some might consider her pretty, though to him, she lie closer to 'cute', as some were wont to put it. She had pretty enough features. Baby faced, blue eyes, blond hair...but still he found himself leaning towards 'cute'. With the rank she held, he knew that her appearance meant little. It took a lot to bond and handle a big bronze wher. He had learned a bit about whers when he'd come here. Still, there were whers back home, too. Not that he much considered that place as such. He'd liked them well enough, and listened when they were spoken of. Watched, and admired silently from the sidelines.

There was a chair across from the desk, and he slid into it with a relaxed seeming air. No, he wasn't uncomfortable. One on one worked well enough for the him. It was crowds he wasn't a fan of, though he could handle it if he happened to be able to deal with them on his terms. She asked why he'd come here from Bitra. That was an easy enough question, but to answer, or not to answer? He knew he had to give an answer. Yet it didn't have to be one that he didn't need anyone hearing. So, he said with a wry smile,

"Bitra wasn't home." It was an answer, but he hoped she wasn't the sort to pry. It was answer enough for someone keen enough to understand it was purposely leaving questions hanging. It was still an answer that she might at least surmise that he hadn't been happy there. It was no life for him, the monotony of day in, day out, feeling lost with what to do with his life. No, he wanted to have more than that. A reason, perhaps, for existing. To live, rather than merely exist. "Once a day when they're growing." It was like dragons, wasn't it? They went between, and hides cracked quickly while growing. It was forming a habit, just like with dragons. If they were exactly the same as dragons, once every two or three days would suffice when they grew, and always before a Fall. The answer was one he was fairly certain of, though not one hundred percent. That was fine. She could correct him if he was wrong, for all he cared.

He glanced at Norsk, blue-grey eyes somber but observant. Did he want a bronze? Oh, he knew he could handle one. He had that confidence, even if he imagined it wouldn't be an easy task. Yet did he want one? What happened if he bonded to gold, even? Did he want that? It was a possibility. You only knew what you got once chosen by it. He supposed it would certainly give his life a larger meaning. Yet couldn't any wher do that? He wasn't certain. Responsibility...he understood it. Yet it was another thing altogether when you stood there, overlooking that precipice, and were feeling confident...and someone pushed you off the edge. He wondered how many of the candidates would fly rather than fall. It was a life-changing experience. He knew, deep down, that he wouldn't be here if he wasn't ready for that kind of thing. He could back out, and no one would stop him. Go pursue a craft, go live his life in a different manner. Still, he didn't want that. He wanted this, deep down, in that place no one saw but himself. Even then, he rarely looked there. He'd had time, since coming here, to ponder what being here might mean. It was easy to be responsible for oneself. Easy to even be responsible for one wher. Yet responsibility at the higher positions...that wasn't easy. He never claimed he was the most intellectual when it came to lessons or books. Still, he supposed he had his experiences. Diplomatic? He wasn't sure. Still, he wondered if anyone came into that ready. Didn't they all learn through the human experience? His gaze rested back on Norla. Likely this was only the beginning of the questioning.

"Were you ready for it? Him, I mean?" A slight motion of his head towards Norsk, hands holding the edges of the seat, slightly gripping, though not tensely. Loosely, thoughtfully. She didn't seem the sort that would take offense to that question. Still, it was prying, a bit. It was asking a question not about whers, necessarily, but about her. She must have been capable, because here she was. Yet people changed. Bonding changed a person. Being thrown into a position where you had to become a leader--assuming you weren't the personality type that was already prepared for it--that changed a person. He had wanted change, hadn't he? Well, he supposed the only way to find out if you were ready for it was to live it. You could say you were, and it might really be how you felt, at the time. Yet were you really...? Well, her answer would interest him, if she was so inclined to give it.
PMEmail
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 12:13 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

Zel wasn't surprised when she was called in to meet the Alphahandler. With a queen egg on the sands, the transfers flooding in, and Dalibor's rocky history--she had every right to be paranoid and severe. Thus she mutely followed the call and obediently sat down in Norla's office. Hands folded before her, she listened as the older woman spoke, taking that time to gather her thoughts. Should she impress a wher here, she would need to stay here. The freedom to leave no longer existed, meaning that if Zeaphor left, then she would be duty bound to Dalibor, and once more separated from him. She smoothed her hands over her lap then glanced up at Norla.

"That is correct. However, my transfers are not due to wanderlust, ma'am," she replied, her tone clear but polite. It had the glassy fragility of someone who was used to not speaking often and being ignored when she did bother. However, Zel had drawn her gaze up from the ground to meet the Alphahandler's, her expression one of determination. "In fact, when I made my choice to come here, it was before I even knew of the clutch on the sands. As you likely are aware, my brother is a dragon candidate here, and I followed him..." She sighed. "However, duty is more important than desires. If I impress, my duty will be to Dalibor...and should my brother leave, I will remain." As she had done those Turns ago when she was first Searched. She sent Zeaphor off to find a better life and stayed behind to take care of their younger siblings. Only their father's hurtful rejection and essential disownment sundered her from her assumed obligation.

"I swear it."

He was just about to drift into dreamland when he had a rather rude awakening. Zaephor muttered and grumbled, agitated by the call, but he wasn't hesitant in answering. Tugging on his shirt and boots, he staggered to his destination, a little dazed and drowsy. In his lethargy, he almost forgot to grab his gloves. Almost. Even in a doze, his discomfort reared its ugly head, reminding him of the ugly, awful scars from being maimed by a dragonet. He absently flexed the stiff muscles in his hand beneath the soft leather as he entered the Alphahandler's office. Zaephor wordlessly accepted the offered drink and tipped it back. He would need it if he was going to coherently have this conversation.

He blinked, a small frown between his brows as she spoke, then it hit him. Ah, she thought he was Queen chasing did she? That he was going to up and leave if he impressed her and take her to another weyr. What would she say if he told her that he would have stood for the clutch even if it's been one, miserable runt of an egg, simply because it was self-imposed therapy advised by a mind healer? That he hoped that by standing for whers he could help ease his remaining fear and anxiety around hatchings. Because whers were known for being more volatile than dragons. if he could get through this hatching without getting attacked, he might garner enough courage to face the Sands without a Candidatemaster breathing down his neck.

Too tired to feel distressed by this meeting, Zaephor shrugged and tapped the ends of his fingers against the side of the mug, "Standing because it's allowed...encouraged, one might even say." The thicker scar on his palm throbbed. It always did when he first woke up. He clenched his hand into a ball and flexed it out, dropping it from the cup and laying sprawled fingers on his thigh. "But of course I have my reasons that are my own. Rest assured I'm not inclined to run off if I Impress a wher. I haven't a want. Not with my sister here now."

He was thankful for her presence. It had been so long since they'd been together, and even now, they rarely saw one another.

"As for a decision I didn't agree with and how I handled it..."

Poorly. Can one say poorly? Because he knew very well his confrontation skills were lacking. he didn't like confrontation. He avoided it like the plague. He'd been called childish due to his outright avoiding situations that weren't turning out in his favor. Zaephor felt more alert and uncomfortable. He slumped a little in his chair, head turning away, leg bouncing. Unbidden, one memory did bleed through.

"...When I was Searched, my little sister was as well. She was only ten turns at the time, barely old enough to be considered, especially for someone not weyrbred," Zaephor began, lowering the cup to his lap. "It was our chance to get out. To be...something." He recalled his father's dismissal of his female children and bitter disapproval of his then sickly and accident prone son. A chance to be away from him was a dream come true. "She rejected the Search. Stayed back to take care of our sisters because she knew they needed her. Well, us, really. I didn't want her to stay. A part of me wanted to drag her with me onto the back of that Blue so that she wasn't stuck there...but I knew...I knew my sister. She'd rather sacrifice her happiness for others...mine, our sisters'...So I did nothing. Not a single thing. Barely a word. Just a goodbye. And I hated it."

Zaephor glanced again at the Alphahandler, "Seems that we only delayed the inevitable."

That likely wasn't the answer she was looking for, but he couldn't find it in him to care. She had her little story. Maybe he could go to bed now.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 04:06 PM
Wingrider

N/A

285 Posts
423 Marks

Kidanyr was prompt when she got the summons, after all, this was no time to be late. She would, as usual, leave care of Quince and Quinzel in Quintin’s capaable feelers as she made her way down to the Wer handler quarters. Knocking lightly, she would announce her presence.

“Good Evening Alphahandler, Norsk.” She would bow to the pair, paying them the same amount of respect she would the Weyrwoman. After all, wasn’t the Alphahandler the same rank? She wasn’t sure, most of her interaction had been with lower ranked handlers.
“Yes Ma’am, my mother transferred when I was only two turns old. Maybe younger? I was so young I don’t really remember anyplace else. Dalibor is my home, and I always try to do right by it.”

Her brows would furrow a bit as she brought up the fact that Kidanyr was a dual candidate.
“I completely understand your worries. But I promise you, no matter if I impress a Wher or a Dragon, I will treat them no different. I grew up around Whers, and they became an integral part of my life. I don’t see them as below a dragon, or some kind of secondary prize. Whers have helped save me and others more than enough to prove that a handler is just as strong as a rider. If you would like me to stay off the sands, though, I understand. You can’t risk disloyalty, especially with a queen on the line.”

Truthfully, Kidanyr hoped she would still be allowed to stand. She didn’t know how to express how she felt. To her, she would adore her bonded no matter what. It wasn’t just getting a new friend, but she felt she would get another piece of her soul, someone who could understand her better than anyone else.

“I pride myself on being helpful for everyone, not just candidates. When it comes down to it, the Wery is only as strong as it’s community. So as someone who lives here, I see it’s my duty to help others. And really? I enjoy it quite a bit. I just feel it’s in my blood. I’ve lived here basically all my life, so I am glad to help and impart the knowledge I’ve learned. Short cuts, whom to go to for which questions, which dragons and rider pairs are good for learning how to oil a hide, things like that. I’m always glad to lend a hand where I may.” She hoped she was as concise as she could be. She knew her ability to stand for the wild clutch was in her hands. But she hoped she made a good impression. If not? Well, Kidanyr would be in the stands, cheering for their new handlers! She wasn’t one to give in to sour grapes.

@Ivy

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Leo
 Posted: Apr 19 2017, 09:44 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

439 Posts
4044 Marks

'Kaiz-re.' In response to the unfamiliar voice that slipped into his mind, Kaizre stumbled. For a moment, brief as it was, his eyes couldn't recognize the short distance between his eye sockets and the ground below. It was at that moment, his mind thought it was staring death in the face. He could hear the pounding of his heart in his ears as his sense of balance was lost, certain that it wasn't just Norsk calling his name anymore, but that the cold dark of between had caught him in its grasp. Then his instincts kicked in and his body righted itself until it was standing on two legs again. Haaa, Kaizre exhaled. Safe. The boy's features were immediately reassembled back into a cast of iron as he surveyed his immediate surroundings for signs of life. Good, it didn't appear that anyone else had seen his mistake. Besides, it was dark, and he was just another candidate hopeful in a Weyr of many.

Kaizre sighed. All the same, he could just imagine what people might have thought had they seen the expression of fear that had flashed across his face because he had believed he was going to fall to his death after tripping on solid ground. Shells, at this rate, he was more likely to die of a heart attack than by actually falling off of some rider's ledge. The candidate bit his lip angrily. Stupid, stupid, stupid! He had to stay in control. He needed to be strong, especially when he faced the Alphahandler. Still berating himself, the candidate left the kennels and the beastcrafters who had requested his assistance behind in exchange for the relative comfort of the lower caverns. It took a little longer than he would have liked to reach the Alphahandler's quarters, being more used to Benden Weyr's layout than Dalibor's, but he made good time all the same.

Kaizre paused for a moment outside the entrance in order to gather himself. He made sure to comb his slightly mussed-up hair down with his fingers, gently smoothing the dirty blonde strands into the best semblance of style he could manage without a view of his reflection. He proceeded to check his tunic and trousers next, noting the canine fur stuck to him with displeasure. Unfortunately, there was no time to go back to the barracks to change his clothes out for clean ones; he would just have to present himself as he was. Alright, Kaizre. Remember that you're strong and assured. Strong and assured. The boy continued to repeat this mantra to himself as he stepped into the room, with his shoulders pulled back and face composed into an expression of neutrality. He was used to this presentation of traditional masculinity having perfected it over the turns, but there was always something worrisome about being questioned by figures of authority. He couldn't help but wonder, would his masquerade hold up under those inquisitive eyes?

The candidate took the seat that was offered to him, albeit reluctantly, having realized that Norla had no intention of sitting down. It didn't seem right for him to be sitting while she was standing. He wanted to ask after her health: was she getting enough sleep? Was she pacing in order to keep herself awake? Did she want him to get her anything? But he didn't say anything. Not until he had time to ponder her questions first. "Riders may be the protectors of Pern, but Handlers are the protectors of the protectors." He allowed himself a small smile after those first few words, feeling it was appropriate in this case. "I hope to preserve the peace and happiness of this Weyr as it currently stands, including the well-being of my sometimes...impulsive brother." He paused then to better compose his answer to her second question.

"No," he breathed out at last, making the word sharp and clear, as if the truth didn't bother him. As if the relationship he had with his brother was fine as it was. "We aren't close. But that doesn't mean I don't care for him." Kaizre crossed his arms in order to better position himself as a man of confidence. "Like I said before, he's part of this Weyr now, as I am. Protecting this Weyr means protecting him too." His hazel eyes locked onto her blue ones. He wasn't lying about this. He wanted this life, to be a handler, because he believed that this was the best way for him to do right by the world. He didn't want anyone to suffer under his watch.

@Ivy
PM
^
Ives
 Posted: Apr 25 2017, 02:57 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

{Basiliare}
Norla watched the girl curiously as she arrived and took the offered seat as well as the juice. Norsk seemed to beam as the girl bowed respectfully to him, already he liked her quite a bit. I wasn't aware I had impressed a preening orange. Norla kept her face neutral even though the desire to smirk was there - she enjoyed teasing the bronze when she could. As the girl spoke she listened carefully, at first she had wanted to take notes but ultimately decided against it. It may make the candidates more nervous than they needed to be and influence their responses; besides, anything worth jotting down would be memorable and she could make a note of it later.

Nodding she smiled, "I am glad to hear you are not downtrodden over not impressing at the previous hatchings. For some a wher comes immediately. Others wait a long time. Others still never impress - but that is no reason to be discouraged or give up." As the girl described her reasons for leaving Benden the woman cracked a wider smile, it was good to have someone who recognized their own weaknesses. Someone who strove to improve upon them as well rather than just accepting them, "Well, you are quite mature for your age to realize you needed to be your own person. I admire that."

Looking a tad more serious Norla leaned back in her chair some, "So tell me, should you impress the queen what do you think your duties will entail? Overall how do you feel you would fit into the lifestyle of being a wherhandler?" Sitting straight again she sipped her klah as she awaited the younger girl's answers.

{Lykaios}
Though she noted the way his eyes darted around before settling on her face she said nothing, meeting his gaze without wilting under it. A test - she recognized it now that she had a moment to study him further. He reminded her a bit of Arles and as he spoke she understood why. Leaning forward with her elbows on her knees she clicked her tongue lightly against the roof of her mouth, "I assure you, responsibility for a baby wher is far different from personal responsibility. You don't need to delve into the details of surviving threadfall and the wilds; not everyone here was born within the comfort of stone walls." A tinge of annoyance colored her tone but as she sat up and drew a sip from her mug she gave a smile, setting the mug back down.

She couldn't blame him really, she knew all too well the awkwardness of trying to integrate into a place that one felt they didn't fully belong. Surrounded by people who had friendships and relationships that she'd never really had. Though she'd had the comfort of her family it was still not an easy life growing up in the wilds. Still if she could make the adjustment then she had faith he could as well - even if she did pick up just a touch of arrogance in the man. "Tell me, will you stand for future clutches if you are left wanting at this one? Why not stand for dragons? There will likely be a clutch before you are out of the age range for dragons." It may have sounded like she was simply being nosy but she needed to know the intentions of those who were wanting to stand for this clutch. Wishy-washy candidates were not ones she wanted, though this one at least seemed to want something more than his previous life offered. Stability.

{Malika}
Chuckling as she answered the question with an honesty that Norla did not fully expect the handler nodded lightly, "Well I can't say I blame you. I'm not entirely a fan of the heights dragons reach. When I was brought to Dalibor on dragon back going between was entirely new to me; not something I wished to relive a milliion times over." Taking a seat she motioned to the woman to do the same if she wished to while she listened further to her answers.

"Your grandfather sounds like a wise man indeed," Norla replied as she picked up a mug of juice and offered it to the other woman. Perhaps some day she would be able to share wine with her and some of the other candidates - should they impress and go on to become full handlers. For now though juice was the best she could offer and as the woman spoke further she pressed her lips together in thought, "A temper and a wher may be a recipe for disaster, depending on the wher you impress. It is good that you recognize this is something you need to work on. Should you impress a wher you'll find yourself having to work closely with others during lessons as well as in your pride when you graduate. There will be others that will test your patience, no one is perfect and though not everyone will become your friend it is important that you can hold your temper back in times when you disagree with others."

When it came time to talk about her craft Norla offered a soft smile, "Though it is my recommendation that wherlings attend lessons and keep up with chores, the wherlingmaster is able to excuse you from chores to practice your craft. It is entirely up to the wherlingmaster as well as your performance in lessons. You do not have to pick one over the other, there are crafters at Dalibor who upon graduation opt to continue their craft as if nothing has changed. I simply expect those who are wishing to find a wher to take candidacy seriously, and should you impress I expect that your wher is taken seriously. Though from the sound of it that will not be a problem with you." Setting her hands in her lap Norla raised both brows as she met the other woman's gaze, "Do you have any questions for me?"

{Nym}
Norla's gaze fixated on the young girl as she took a seat, watching as she admired Norsk for awhile until the handler got around to asking her questions. Clearly she was used to her age being an issue and she seemed to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder for it. Wishing to be honest with the girl Norla gave a soft smile as she answered, "Yes. Your age concerns me. I would be foolish to not be concerned about all of the younger candidates though. Whers are not known for being gentle creatures. They are dangerous to others and even to those they are bonded to. I'm sure I do not need to remind you that a wher does not need a bond to survive like a dragon does. While that does not make them any less loyal as a whole, it does offer less comfort. Should you impress to a selfish wher it may not hesitate to put you in harms way if it means getting what it wants. Even as hatchlings they are dangerous without always meaning to be. Teeth and claws attached to beings that are intelligent but not always graceful, or capable of handling emotions." Pausing she took a sip of her klah, noting the girl didn't eat the treat she had offered though she took no offense. Setting her mug back down she cleared her throat, "There is more to age than a number, I am afraid. While I have no doubt you find yourself perfectly capable there is also the question of you being ready in other ways. Should you impress a wher it will be ready to participate in mating runs upon graduation; do you feel you will be capable of handling the emotional and physical consequences that come with a wher's run?"

Another pause was given as Norsk raised his head slightly - while the Alpha was fully aware whers and dragons typically waited until their bondeds were ready for such a thing it was still a valid point to bring up. "Not to mention at your age I recall going through a change, physically and emotionally. It is different for everyone but again I must consider how a newly hatched wherling would weather the emotional storm you might find yourself thrust into."

Sipping from her mug Norla once more offered a soft smile to the spirited youth, "So Nymeria please understand my concerns about your age are not personal at all. I am not meaning to call into doubt your ability to stand - you seem passionate and reasonable enough. While it is admirable you stand up for others I will remind you that physical fighting is prohibited as long as you intend to be a candidate. There are plenty of other ways to diffuse a situation. Now," setting her mug down she clasped her hands together enthusiastically, "what do you think you'll struggle with the most should you impress a wher from this clutch?"

{Shaedryn}
If the girl thought she was doing a good job of concealing her contempt she was sorely mistaken as Norsk fixed his gaze on her, his eyes tinging a mixture of yellows and oranges. Still Norla listened with a smile on her face as though she hadn't picked up on the girl's sarcasm as she spoke, nodding when she posed a question. "In addition to those things, as you have clearly been paying attention in your lessons, I presume you also know about your duties during Threadfall. Yet you mentioned nothing about that. Perhaps you do not believe that Thread is a threat to handlers? Burrows can destroy crops and life for dragonslengths around if they are allowed to go unchecked. And while I'm sure patrolling sounds boring to you I assure you that there are many things outside of these walls that would love the chance to tear you and every other person in this Weyr apart."

Inhaling slowly Norla made another pass through her room before she motioned to the mug of juice she'd left out, "If you're thirsty." Norsk laid his head back down as Norla offered a comforting press of her hand against his head, the girl was just a typical teen; there was no real harm in it at the moment. "Should you find yourself bonded to a female wher you will also find yourself at some point helping to care for a clutch. If you are lucky enough to be bonded to the queen you may also some day be asked to transfer to another Weyr where a queen is needed, how do you feel about that?" It was unlikely but still a possibility, especially a few turns from now once they had bolstered their own numbers. Cove Weyr had been passed up in favor of Dalibor for being the recipients of the wild clutch, eventually they may come calling for help from Dalibor's whers to add fresh bloodlines and more eggs to their sands. "You are standing for dragons as well, as I understand it. If you had to choose right now which you'd rather stand for - which would you choose? It is pointless to say 'whers' simply to appease me by the way, Norsk is more than capable of telling when people are lying."

{Dhiren}
The young man entered and immediately she felt more at ease with him than she had been with some of the others. So tense, defensive, insulting even - yet he seemed oddly calm and laid back. If nothing else this would be an interesting meeting, perhaps lacking the tension of some of the previous conversations had offered. She certainly would appreciate it going smoothly as tired as she was. Sitting across from him she drew a sip from her mug as he offered an answer as to why he left Bitra, "You hope that Dalibor will be your home then? I am simply curious to know if you intend on staying - especially if you find yourself bonded to a wher. I'd rather not be a pit stop for someone to come, impress one of my whers, and then leave." Her whers she had called them, but despite the fact it was not her clutch in a way they were hers. As Alpha she was in charge of all the Weyr's whers, even those still within their shells.

His question caught her off guard and it showed on her face, albiet briefly. Chuckling some she shook her head - there was no point in being dishonest with the man, "No, I was decidedly not ready for Norsk."

Nor-la no see she best. Norsk sees. Norsk choose best, take care of all good whers with Nor-la. The bronze offered to the man as he sat up straighter and puffed out his chest slightly. He was proud of his choice and always would be, he had known who she was even when she had her own doubts. Doubts she still had from time to time.

"I grew up Holdless.", a brief answer but one that needed no further explaination - much as his answer for why he left Bitra didn't need one. "Whers were terrifying but less so than dragons at the time, I threw myself into dual candidacy simply to try and figure out why I was here. My brother was a dragonrider though I didn't even know that until after I graduated wherlinghood. Norsk found me at the first hatching I attended, waited until all his brothers had chosen first. I wasn't ready to be responsible for another being yet I suddenly was. We did well as wherlings, those turns helped solidify our bond even more." Another soft chuckle from the handler, "I'm not even sure anyone that impresses is truly ready, despite what they may think. Why, do you find yourself ready?"

@Ruriko

-------------------------------------------------------

{Zel}
Taking a long drink from her mug of klah she motioned to the mug of juice she'd put out fresh for the girl before she arrived. "It is good to hear you intend to stay should you bond to a wher. We need people willing to set roots in Dalibor, rather than taking off at the first opportunity." Though she had not outright said as much, Norla was none too impressed by those who had transferred to Cove Weyr. She understood the desire for something new and the chance to be a part of building a new Weyr but she had far more respect for those that stayed. At the mention of her brother Norla nodded some, "Zaephor, yes. He is on my list of candidates to speak to as well. He spoke to Al'dr about standing for the wher clutch despite being primarily interested in dragons. Why is it you chose to stand for whers and not dragons with your brother? Are you close to him? I ask because should you impress a wher and he a dragon your relationship will likely be strained."

Something she knew from experience, though she was not eager to share all the details of her life with the girl. It was late and she wanted to be done with the candidates sooner rather than later. Still she needed to do her due diligence with all of them, "What do you feel will be your greatest challenge should you impress a wher from this, or any other, clutch?"

{Zaephor}
"You look tired." Though only stating the obvious the handler did have a tinge of sympathy in her voice. It wasn't as if she enjoyed waking him up in any way but it was necessary. The clutch was only getting closer to hatching with each day that passed and she needed to make sure those on the sands were serious about the responsibility they were signing up for. "Should you impress and your sister does not, how will that make you feel? Alternatively, should she impress but you are left standing?"

It was tricky, she was told, when there were siblings involved. Having been spared the knowledge that V'es was at the Weyr upon her arrival and impression she didn't have any conflicting emotions about her brother. There was no competition between them regarding the hatching since he had been a rider long before she even came to Dalibor. Still with those who were close there was something to it and the relationship had to be considered. It wouldn't do to have wherlets conflicted over who to chose due to sibling rivalry or the chance that the impression would upset their bonded because of a sibling. "If you are left standing do you intend to stand for other wher clutches? If not - should you impress a dragon how do you feel that will affect your relationship with your sister?"

Refilling his mug with klah she set the pitcher down before sipping from her own mug, "Do you have any questions for me?"

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 25 2017, 01:23 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

Zel nodded, her gaze darting down again. She had no plans on leaving if she bonded. Stability and a place to call home was important to her. Transferring was grand when you were a Crafter wanting to further your training or a candidate seeking out family or a chance to impress. But seemed almost...wrong to leave the place you met your bonded. Weyrs like Dalibor were small enough without people leaving as soon as they Impressed, taking precious numbers with them.

The candidate bit her lip and shrugged, "I have stood for dragons before. And if I do not impress a wher at this clutch, I could do so in the future. But...I met handlers after I was Searched and because of them, I sought out the chance to stand for whers. I think I would prefer to impress whers, actually." Less attention. Less focus. People looked to the dragons for guidance and leadership. They were the ones that took to the skies and fought the thread midair. Whers were more about guarding and order from what she observed. She rather liked the idea of patrolling the night, keeping everyone safe. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "As for why my brother chose to stand for this clutch...I cannot make assumptions. We were separated for a number of Turns after he was Searched. But I would like to think we are...were...close. And even should we Impress differently, it doesn't bother me. He is my brother. That doesn't change."

Not used to talking this much, but aware that she needed to answer properly so as to avoid confusion, Zel cleared her throat.

"My greatest challenge?" She tilted her head thoughtfully. "I think will depend on the temperament of the wher. If they are especially aggressive, controlling that tendency would be a great trial for me. I'm not...I've never been good with controlling aggressive situations." In short, a violent wher with a habit of throwing malicious fits would be her idea of misery. She would try to rise to the occasion, but she wasn't one to deal with things emotionally. She liked calm and logic. Understanding the pure emotional need of a creature like that would be hard.

He looked tired did he? Obviously...

Zaephor ran a hand through his hair and blew an especially curly lock out of his face, "How would I feel if she impressed and not I?" Relieved. He would feel relieved. Unless of course, he was maimed at the event. Then he'd probably be feeling pain. "...happy?" He hadn't meant for it to come out as a question. "The other way around...I know she would feel no ill will for me. Perhaps a little...disappointed? No...that's not right....To be honest, I don't quite know." Zel was the one who stood for whers and dragons both. He was already too shy around dragon clutches to desire risking whers on a frequent basis. With his luck, even with armor, the tiny little hatchlings would find some way through if he tested his luck too often. His leg bounced as he considered his feelings. Zaephor tried to avoid doing that too often. Always ended with him losing his temper over something ridiculous. "As for if I am left standing...I guess it will depend on how the hatching goes if I seek to continue standing. This has been my first opportunity, after all. And if I later go on to impress a dragon and my sister a wher, I can only assume our relationship will change, but she isn't the jealous sort, so I doubt she will have any resentment." After all, she was the one that sent him off with the Bluerider and stayed behind. She already explained to him that she could never resent him for leaving, it was the best thing for him to do.

Though there was a tiny niggling in his gut that whispered about that queen egg. What if Zel impressed it? Would be be jealous then? Zaephor did have a bad habit of wanting what other people had. He pushed away that thought. No. He wouldn't care. Not at all!

"Questions? Ah, the whole blond bond thing. How does that usually go..."

He knew about the knife, but he needed assurance that the voluntary cut was the norm and not wherets chomping on whatever fleshy bits they could find. Nervously, he sipped his refresh Klah.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 03:10 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Ivy

Basiliare

Well, she was not 'downtrodden', but it wasn't easy to walk of the sands, for anyone, without a bonded time after time. Still, despite the let down of it each time, she picked herself back up and kept right on persisting. That was the important thing. To not let it effect her for longer than a couple of days, if that, and even then to remind herself that the right match was worth the wait, no matter how long that wait might be. She tried to hide the faint rise of color in her cheeks as the woman said she admired that she recognized she needed to be her own person. It wasn't worth the admiration, it was merely a fact. Still, she did appreciate Norla saying that, even if she simply gave a polite nod of recognition to the words and kept her expression from showing it too much. Instead, a quiet, 'thank you' was given after the woman was through speaking, before the questions began again.

"They haven't covered that in lessons," the girl said at first, and then was silent a moment, clearly thinking. "I don't imagine a queenhandler's duties to be too much different from an Alphahandler's, outside of the runs and clutch duties," she finally went on, adding, "patrolling, guarding, fighting to protect the Weyr if necessary, leading a pride, taking on more responsibility than the fighters or even sub-queens do. Diplomacy, perhaps more involvement in the political side of the Weyr, setting a good example for others, perhaps becoming a betahandler or Alphahandler someday..." She wasn't entirely sure how much more to it there was than that. It was basically being a handler, with more responsibilities and leadership. There were clutches, but that was obvious. Any queen or sub-queen had to worry about that. "I'd be pleased to know of anything else I've missed, Alphahandler," she finished. More knowledge was always better. What if she did bond the queen? It wasn't entirely impossible. It could happen to any one of the candidates that the queen decided to choose. "My lifestyle as is is not too far off from that of a wherhandler's. The only difference is I imagine the bond will come with its own challenges. I know whers can be difficult to control. Especially a red or more high strung wher, or a bronze, gold, and so forth. Training, patrolling, guarding...I have studied what handlers do, and feel I could do this, and do it well. My duty and responsibility lies first to the Weyr. I want to protect it, and its people. Even more, I have wanted a wher bond for as long as I can remember." She had not really ever imagined herself with a dragon. Others did not understand it, but that was simply how it was.

Kaios

He watched her, gaze intense, noting that unlike some, she didn't seem quick to look away. Her words were listened to, and mulled over. She wasn't wrong. He was able to care for himself quite easily. He'd even cared for another human being for over a turn. Yet a wher would be different. He knew that. Still, he was sharp enough to catch that last bit. Not everyone?

"Not you." It was a statement more than a question. He was quick to pick up on things, and this was no exception. So, if she was not born in 'stone walls', what did that make her? A trader? Holdless? Up to her if she wanted to divulge that information. It would tell him a bit more about her, but he didn't really need to know. It wasn't imperative to him in any way to know, no matter that he would have been a little surprised if she'd been Holdless. Common ground, though she'd probably had more than just herself there--most Holdless had family, or friends, or someone. He'd had himself, and his firelizards.

"I have no interest in dragons. That bond isn't what I want. I've survived this long, and I have no desire to want to die or for my bonded to die just because I do." His tone was hard, adamant. No, that life, of a dragonrider, wasn't for him. "Most dragons are...tame." He added that last, the word 'tame' sounding like something foreign in his mouth. Dragons weren't warriors, unless you counted a battle against Thread. They weren't prone to fighting, or violence, unless it was a red or you got one that was less than stable. Whers were warriors, protectors, survivors. Dragons...he just didn't feel like he could relate as well to them. "I'll stay. However long it takes." Again, sharp, adamant, no doubt in his voice as his eyes held hers. He wasn't going anywhere. He had no where else to go. His lifestyle as a candidate even allowed for him to pursue his hunting and spend his free time alone. This Weyr was small, and it was better here.

Malika

"That cold place is fit for no one such as me," Malika agreed with an inward shudder. She had been there, too, and was not able to understand how it was so tolerated time and again. She was no coward, and yet it was the most terrifying experience! No, she would not wish for it to happen again, unless out of absolute necessity. At mention of her grandfather, the young woman's face softened, though there was a look of pride. "He is the wisest man I know," she agreed, quite more pleased at the compliment paid to the man who she respected and admired most than even one paid to herself. When the mug was offered, she took it with a small smile. "Thanks to you, Alphahanlder," she said, giving the mug a little raise in the woman's direction before taking a drink. The juice was good, and appreciated. She preferred fruit juices to all other drinks.

The young woman listened to Norla solemnly. It was nothing she did not know, but it was all truth, and she appreciated the woman being so candid with her. "Your words are heard," she said, when Norla was through speaking. She paused to consider, dark eyes staring momentarily at the floor in front of her. When the seat was offered, she shook her head, but said, "Thank you, but I am restless and wish to stand." She felt like pacing, while she thought, but kept herself planted where she was, and took another sip of the juice. It was cold and refreshing, and allowed her a moment of clarity. "I will work hard, I promise this. I do not wish to be a burden or fail my wher, or my Weyr. It is my load to bear, and I will bear it as best I may and not put it upon any but me." She accepted her temper would be a problem if not controlled--she knew it to be so. She was steeled to do her best, and she did not think a temper was something that went away...it had to be worked on, and so she would.

The words spoken next were not known to Malika, and with each sentence, her eyes grew just a little wider. She was able to do both? She did not have to give it up? Of course she would take her wher seriously--Norla was correct in that she did not have to worry about it with the young woman. She took everything seriously, all responsibilities she chose to undertake were given due diligence. She had to resist the urge to clap her hands in delight--not only was it childish and unseemly to do so, but she was holding a drink. Instead, her eyes were alight with her clear pleasure in hearing this, and she said, "This is welcome news indeed! I have deep love for my craft, and while I spoke no untruth and would give it up if needs be, I do not, in my heart, wish that to happen. I will speak with the wherlingmaster should I make the bond. I will do right by my wher and my lessons, and see to it that this is possible." Her heart soared in her chest, and she could not wait to tell the news to her grandparents. She would send a letter to them the moment she was through here. Did she have questions...she supposed one or two.

"I know of the dragon flights. Are whers to be the same? I have no great love of men, Alphahandler. Yet I have heard tell that there is little to be done for it. I have not been with woman or man in that regard. Will I have no choice in the matter? I would rather be prepared for such a thing, than to go in with ignorance of it." It was not something she was comfortable with. Yet, if it were part of her duties...there might be something else she had to accept, and would, if need be, and it came down to this.

Nym

Nym listened to the woman, really listened. Same as she listened to everyone who might have something useful to say. Her green eyes watched Norla carefully, as though she was perhaps deciding something. Sincerity got a lot further with the girl than anything, when it came to adults. She didn't like to be talked down to, or spoken to like she was a child. Yet it wasn't as if Norla was insulting her. No, quite the opposite. She was just being honest, and Nym knew it from the way she spoke. It might have irritated her deep down, where she didn't want her age to be against her. Yet when you were right, you were right. Much as she wanted to just retort back that she could handle it, and Norla shouldn't be concerned, there was that bit of common sense there that told her Norla was right, even if she didn't like it. Then they got to the next part, and Nym, who had been watching Norsk again, a moment, turned again to face the Alphahandler. Was this some kind of a test? She had loads of people she knew, having grown up in a Weyr, that had bonded or Impressed young. Their whers and dragons never rose until they were a bit older. Norla must have known that though. Why the question, then? She went from contemplating the woman's honesty, to wondering at her motives for bringing something irrelevant to her in particular up. Okay, well, she'd started with honesty, so she wasn't going to play dumb. She could have. But she chose not to.

"Not gonna' happen," she said back, voice flat. "I got plenty of people I know that get Impressed young. None of 'em had to deal with it, 'cause their dragons or whatever waited for 'em. Mine'll wait, too, I bet." Still, she had a feeling there was more to the question than that. She wondered if this woman actually cared, or was just acting like it because she had to. She didn't get a bad feel from her. Still, adults were the best at acting like they cared, even if they didn't give a shard about you. Which one was this lady? She supposed she would find out, wouldn't she? "Yeah, they're pretty dangerous. Still, lots of weyrbrats still Impress. I'm not any different...dunno' about that changes stuff, though." As mature as she might have been considered by many, for her age, Nym had never had anyone to talk to about things of this nature. One would think that it would have been covered. Yet with how she'd skipped out on lessons all the time, it was something she'd never spoken to anyone about, or heard much about. Kids would giggle about love or sex, sure. She'd heard a bit about both, but she wasn't into listening to that sort of thing much. Changes? Physically and emotionally? Well, she knew girls around her age were starting to grow a pair of something up there. Plus they had their moon time and all. She had started hers last turn. Was that what she meant? She took a moment to lightly bite the inside of her cheek, and look at Norla, debating.

"Don't much care 'bout boys nor girls right now. I know lots that do, but I'm not interested. Waste of my time. Still, you mean bleedin' once a month and being real moody-like? Or growing places? Dunno' 'bout any other changes. Seems maybe I missed out on 'em." She shrugged, but she really was curious and kind of hoping Norla would offer up some answers to what she'd meant about these changes. Then, she listened again as the Alphahandler spoke to her. Nothing personal...well, she didn't get the feeling it was personal. Just an adult doing what an adult did--or in this case, maybe had to do. That was her job, right?

"I never said I was gonna' go around hittin' anybody," she clarified, adding, "don't need that kinda' trouble. Gotta' keep my nose clean, and 'sides, I never needed to hit anyone to come out on top of anything." Here there was a faint hint of a smirk as she looked at the woman, a knowing look in her eyes. Words were all it took to win anything, and being fast, and smart enough to outwit whoever you were up against. If they tried to hit her, they wouldn't find she was there to hit. Then Norla asked her a question she wasn't even sure how to answer. She wasn't thinking she would struggle at all, really. She just had a certain amount of over-confidence in herself and wasn't very good at seeing herself as weak. So, she defaulted to what she'd been told by others. "Probably I don't get on with people none too well. I like to do things on my own, or be the one in charge. Don't much care for bein' bossed around. I'm better at protecting someone else than letting anyone do the same." She could care less if Norla had a problem with that. She'd always been alone, that was how she did best. She knew she'd be forced into teamwork, but she always had done best fending for herself, and didn't trust other people to do a thing right, or to have her back. So, "I do right by me, by myself. Don't trust no one else to do it for me. No one has my back like I've got my back." There was a fierceness to this statement, because it had been something she'd lived her life by, and found to be true. People were really quick to turn on you once you didn't have what they wanted, or if they decided they didn't like you for some reason. She always kept up with the gossip, always watched and listened. The things people could and did do to one another were pretty crappy. People were selfish, and while she looked out for those who couldn't do for themselves, for some reason she didn't understand, she more often than not looked out for herself.

Shae

Shae tried to hide the mild irritation she felt that it had been pointed out she forgot Threadfall. So what? That was for dragonriders, mostly. They were on the ground doing stuff with the flamers. Not as big a deal to mention as fighting from the skies, in her opinion. She listened absentmindedly, despite looking like she was paying attention. What was the point of this meeting, anyhow? To try and impress this woman enough to be allowed to Stand? She didn't get why this woman got to make that call, really. She might have been Alphahandler, but wasn't it the wher or dragon that picked? Wasn't that who she needed to be impressing, was some wher or dragon? Shards, but this was tedious.

"Patrolling is one of the few things that sounds interesting, actually," she said back, keeping her tone level, and then, "something might actually happen, and I'd like to be there for it, doing something about it, instead of hiding under my covers." The fact that it would be an adrenaline rush for her, she didn't mention. Let the woman simply think she had guts--and she did, so she figured no one should doubt it. "No, I did not mention Threadfall. Doesn't mean I'm not aware of it. Simply I didn't think it was necessary to list off every last thing. Most of the Weyr fights Thread from the grounds in crews. Not just handlers." Oh yes, this was typical teenage angst at its 'finest'. The girl was not about to admit she was wrong, and quite eager to 'win' in any situation, including debating whether or not she recalled Threadfall, or realized that she'd be fighting it. She was, for her part, trying to keep a respectful, level tone. It wasn't easy when you were bored to tears, but she was managing, she figured.

She glanced at the cup of juice, and then back at Norla, at least not foolish enough to be notably rude to someone who was in charge, whether she liked it or not. "Thanks," she said simply, only debating a moment before she picked the cup up and drained it, before putting it back down again. The next question caught her off guard, a little. Still, she didn't care where she lived. She had no attachments to anyone here. Here was just here, and anywhere else was just as well. "As far as I know, that won't happen with any of the whers from this particular clutch. Still, if I do bond a queen, I don't care where I'm sent. It hardly makes any difference whether I'm here or somewhere else. I'll stay where I'm needed." As long as she had something, like a wher or dragon, what did she care about anything else? A wher or dragon ensured she was able to have a life of some kind. A life where she had some set purpose, and something to do. Plus, maybe she'd even have prestige and rank of some kind. Wouldn't that be nice? "It's no big deal to care for a bunch of eggs. They don't move. I can handle that just fine. I won't let anything happen to them," she said, meaning, at least, to reassure Norla that under her care, they'd be fine. She figured that bit was easy. Why worry about caring for a clutch? The queen whose clutch it was did most of the work. She just had to make sure nothing befell them from outside troubles. She could handle that just fine, as she said.

She didn't believe for a moment that the bronze could tell if she lied. Whers and dragons were not mind-readers. Otherwise no one would get away with anything at all. She saw no reason to lie, but she definitely took offense to the fact that Norla suggested she was going to. "Are you suggesting I would lie about something so trivial?" She kept her voice polite, careful at how she said it. No reason to make the woman think it was an accusation, no matter that she'd taken offense to the woman's sounding like she had been accusing her. "I don't care what I Stand for. I have no preference--at all. I just want a partner and the life that comes with them. If I could pick one, I couldn't. That's why I didn't. Whichever wants me can have me." Was that answer satisfactory? It was the truth. She wasn't sure, still, why the woman would think anyone would lie to appease her. Honestly, did anyone even bother to do that? She really must have thought herself something special, that people lied about stupid shaffit just to make nice with her. Well, that wasn't Shae. If she thought she really had to appease her, there were other ways, less sharding obvious ones, of doing it.

Dhiren

"That I do," he replied easily, and then with a disarming smile, "I won't run away with your wher. Cross my heart, hope to--well, not actually. But you understand, I'm sure." The smile turned to a near-teasing smirk. He understood her concerns, and the meeting was serious, so he added, "that's a 'don't worry'. I have no intentions of bonding and taking off on you." He looked amused at her reply. A no, was it? Well, it was an honest answer, and he wasn't caught by surprise by it, not at all. Sometimes, you went into a situation and didn't expect the outcome of it. Life worked like that. So, if she'd gone in there not expecting perhaps to even bond--let alone a bronze--that would have been quite the life altering moment for her.

When Norsk addressed him, he turned to the wher, and then raised an eyebrow at the Alphahandler. "That's the way of it most times, isn't it? Those who think they're least capable, end up Impressing or bonding and finding out the truth of it." To Norsk, he said amicably, "You made a good choice, Norsk. Clearly you knew best," and here a little wink to Norla, and a stretch as he leaned forward, elbows on knees, watching the young woman as she spoke to explain what had happened.

"Interesting. I hardly imagine Holdless being an easy life. Everyone's got a story though." That last, there was almost like there should have been more to. Yet he had no reason to share his, and nothing really in common with hers. At her question, he sat up again, and replied without hesitation, "I think I'm as ready as you were, or anyone is. You go out on those sands, and anything can happen. I'm just accepting that, and I'll take it as it comes. I'll rise to the occasion when that moment arrives." He had thought of it all. If he bonded a black, blue or green. A sub-king or sub-queen. Or a queen or king. "At the end of the day, no one is ready." It was the truth, how he saw it. They could prepare, learn as much as they could, do whatever they thought was necessary to be ready. Yet was anyone, when that moment arrived? Usually what they planned for went all awry. Look at Norla. She'd not been ready for Norsk, and yet she'd bonded, done what she had to, and was now Alphahandler. So, he didn't expect he was any more ready than she was. Only bravado would have him state otherwise, and she hadn't used any--why should he?

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Apr 30 2017, 10:53 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

{Kidanyr}
Norla sat with her mug of klah in one hand, taking sips occasionally as the other young woman spoke. In the back of her mind she wondered why the Weyr had seen fit to elevate her to a place where she was judging others in such a manner - especially those her age or even older. Norsk shifted so he could press his head against her legs as she took a drink of her klah. Obviously he was the reason, while he was not as forceful a presence as other whers he was strong and respected. Others listened to him because it was obvious he cared first for the Weyr and others; his own needs were secondary. Reaching her free hand down she scritched against his headknobs gently.

Nodding slightly, "You have a lot of wisdom, but you don't need to worry. As long as you will be dedicated to your wher should you bond to one I will not bar you from the sands. Honestly there are only a few that will not be permitted to stand; I trust our candidatemasters to know who is fit for a wher and who isn't. I'm more of the last line of defense for the clutch."

Offering Kidanyr a soft smile she offered her some juice, or klah if she preferred. "So do you have any questions about being a wherhandler? Whers in general? Perhaps about what your duties would be if you bonded the queen? I do not wish to keep you too long, but while I have you it would be prudent to ask any questions you might have."

@Blot

-------------------------------------------------------

{Kaizre}
Watching his face carefully as she asked her questions she was satisfied enough by his answers, "So tell me, how are you liking Dalibor compared to Benden?" His duty may be to the Weyr but was it to this one? How was she to know he wouldn't be going back to Benden if he bonded to a wher? Especially if he bonded to the queen in the clutch, she couldn't have him leave with her. Dalibor needed that queen to ensure the success of their wher program. Smiling she paused at the desk to pour herself more klah, raising a brow as she motioned to the juice she left out for him. "Was it a difficult decision to leave?"

Regardless of how he answered her questions she would pause before continuing on, "How long were you a part of the wher program there before you transferred? Do you have any questions about your duties should you become a handler?"

Finally she took a seat across from him as she settled in to drink her klah interested to see how he would respond to her new questions.

@Leo

PM
^
Blot
 Posted: May 4 2017, 05:06 PM
Wingrider

N/A

285 Posts
423 Marks

“Oh wonderful, I hope to make the candidatemasters and the Weyr proud.”
Kidanyr relaxed a bit in relief. Not that she would argue if she were barred from the sands. But still. Pouring herself a mug of Klah, she took a sip and let the warms course through her.

Norsk was a handsome bronze, she noted. His coloring was interesting, as was his markings, and it was obvious he was well cared for.
“Oh yes, I was wondering what it’s like to do patrols at night. I’ve never been allowed to tag along, but I understand why. I just don’t have as good an idea of what it is like to patrol, as I do what it’s like to perform drills as a dragonrider.” She would fold her hands in her lap.

“ And I hope this isn’t too personal, but what’s it like? To be bonded to a wher, that is. I’ve heard some dragons can be overwhelming. Even my mother was overwhelmed by her pink at times. Are Whers the same? Or are they a bit more apt to be quiet?” She didn’t know what it was supposed to be like. Quince was the closest she had to a dragon or wher, and though the little green was a handful, she was still just a firelizard.

@Ivy

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Ives
 Posted: May 8 2017, 09:29 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

{Zel}
Nodding as the candidate spoke Norla listened carefully for not only the words the girl used but her tone as well. She counted herself lucky that she had not been interrogated by the Alphahandler when she stood for her first wher clutch - yet it had to be done for this one. Especially considering how many new candidates they had in the program now. As Zel answered Norla nodded more, ”Yes, some whers are quite confrontational beings. Others are not so much. Norsk has a thick skull but is not prone to violence and heavy aggression so I feel I lucked out with him. I’m certain should you find a wher in the clutch it will be no more than you can handle.”

Taking another sip of her klah Norla fought back a yawn as she looked the girl over, ”Enough questions from me. Do you have any questions for me? I do not intend to keep you here all night, I’m sure you have chores or lessons to see to still.”

----

{Zaephor}
It was interesting listening to him talk. How would she have felt if she had come to the Weyr at the same time as V’es? Would she have stood for dragons alongside him only to be jealous when he found his bonded and she did not? If she and her brother had come to Dalibor together would they have been closer and thus more impacted by her bonding to a wher while he was a rider? She wasn’t certain - and in the end it didn’t matter very much. V’es was gone and as far as she knew she was all that was left of her family. Shoulders lifted and fell as she let loose a soft sigh before she answered his question. ”It depends.”

Not that she was speaking much from experience as she had not been to every wher hatching ever but she heard about them. That had to count for something at least, ”You will have a knife so you can give yourself a shallow cut and allow the wher to drink. That helps cement the bond. Some whers are not as patient though, there have been some that latched on to get to their bonded’s blood themselves. Not ideal but it works.”

Taking a sip from her klah she gave a soft, but tired smile. ”If you have no further questions for me then you are free to go. My office is always open if something comes up before the hatching. I see no reason for you to not stand, if only in support of your sister.” He could make a fine wherhandler if he found himself in that situation, of that she had little doubt even if the young man seemed far less convinced.

@Catsitta
----

{Basiliare}
A nod was offered at the girl’s summary of a queen handler’s duties, ”You’ve covered most of it. There is a bit more pressure overall to ensure your wher is healthy and more stable because as a queenhandler your wher would lay the largest clutches. Outside of that you’re spot on.” It was nice to know there was at least one eager and astute candidate on the sands. ”It seems as though you have given all of this a great deal of thought, even before I asked you here.”

Picking up her mug she took a sip before peering over the rim at the candidate, ”Do you have any questions for me? If not you are free to go, I have many others to talk to yet and I would hate to take up all of your evening. You are a fine wher candidate and I wish you the best of luck on the sands.”

----

{Lykaios}
This one was different from the others, yet she did not find him as offputting as someone who came from a differing background might. ”Correct. I grew up on the western ring isles.” There was no shame in her voice as she revealed this to him, she was not proud of her past but she also found no shame in where she came from either. If anything she just proved that a person’s past did not define them unless they let it. As he explained why he was not standing for dragons she cracked a grin, ”I found the trip between terrifying and dragons seem to do it far more frequently. Thus I stood for whers.”

Eyes narrowed briefly as she looked him over. There was something she couldn’t quite but her finger on but she dismissed it, ”Do you have questions for me about the wher program? Do you have questions for me about the Weyr? It is different in these walls than it is outside of them. The adjustment can be hard.” Pausing a moment she added, ”I have heard you enjoy hunting, to the dismay of the handlers that must babysit you outside of the Weyr’s walls I’m sure. Norsk and I would be happy to join you in hunting some time if you’re not opposed.”

It had been a long time since she had been on a proper hunt without her wher doing most of the work. Part of her even missed being more self reliant; Weyr life had softened her rougher edges.

----

{Malika}
Norla found herself quite liking the young woman. Easy going yet not so much that she was foolish enough to let her guard completely down or to allow herself seem anything less than dedicated to becoming a wher handler. Smiling as she took the juice the handler nodded and tipped her own mug, full of klah rather than juice, up in a deep drink. When it came to the woman’s question Norla did her best to keep the color from creeping into her cheeks as she thought. Finally she offered a response, ”Yes and no. A wher will have a ‘run’ rather than a flight, since very few whers are capable of becoming airborne. The concept is the same though. If you have a female wher when she is of age to mate she will feel the urge, it will lead her to run and choose a mate. Because of your bond you will be heavily swayed by your wher’s emotions… including her lust. If you have a male he will give chase when he is of age, and his lust will be an influence as well. There are some handlers that have arrangements with a close friend or lover so they know who they are bedding with each run. Others simply pick the handler of the wher that wins - assuming the winning wher has a handler. Wild whers are known to give chase from time to time. All of that being said it is important for you to know that your wher will not run or give chase if you are not ready. Still they cannot wait forever, so if that is something you feel will be a hang up I suggest you find a close friend within the Weyr that you feel safe and comfortable with so once you are a full handler you are not stuck waking from a run-induced haze next to a stranger.”

Though she had not expected that to be one of the questions asked tonight she was glad that Malika had asked. It showed she was considering the bond from all levels and took it seriously, she appreciated that about the girl.

----

{Nymeria}
Of course the young girl was correct in the assumption her wher would not run until she was ready to handle it on all fronts. It was good that she knew that, it meant she paid attention to things going on around her - and to lessons as well, Norla ventured a guess. Nodding to let Nymeria know she was right she listened as the girl began to talk again, commenting on something she had mentioned. She was mid-sip of her klah when the girl rather bluntly talked about more of the physical changes Norla had elluded to earlier and she struggled to not choke on it. Swallowing after a moment she set her mug down and looked at the young candidate. The girl certainly seemed like a little spitfire. ”Yes, those changes as well as becoming more reflective. Many young people, especially young women, find themselves not only moody but overall far more emotional. It is hard to explain but suffice to say it can be a very confusing time in a young person’s life and my main concern is how a wher would adjust to that.”

Once more the girl was speaking and Norla listened intently. It was only fair to listen to what she had to say after Nymeria had listened to her drone on over her concerns. Though she was young it was obvious she was a bright young girl and Norla was honestly a tad impressed to hear her response to what she would struggle most with. ”Teamwork is an important part of being a wher handler, though should you impress you will have more time than others to adjust and work on this because you will not be able to join any prides until you are of the proper age.”

Folding her hands in her lap she smiled softly, ”Do you have any questions for me?”

----

{Shaedryn}
Hands clasped together in her lap, for if they were free she feared she would begin rubbing her temples or pinching the bridge of her nose. Every time the young woman opened her mouth the handler found herself eternally grateful she had grown up with ‘brothers’ rather than sisters. Were all teenaged girls like this? The thinly veiled snark was enough to make Norla want to dismiss her entirely from the clutch, but the girl had technically not said anything wrong. No, she was careful with her words and for that at least Norla was pleased. Should the queen end up bonding with this one at least she had enough sense about her to play nice when she didn’t want to. That was something better than some of the others. Inhaling slowly the handler spent time drinking from her mug and regarding the young woman before she finally nodded. ”Alright then. You are free to go, unless you have any questions for me?”

Norla highly doubted she did, if only because the teen seemed the prideful type who wouldn’t want to seem ignorant to something.

----

{Dhiren}
”I like you.” Norla admitted after he’d spoken. He seemed rather open and honest, though there was really no reason for him not to be. Still she liked that he didn’t seem nervous or as if he were putting on airs in order to try and impress her. ”You’ll do fine with a wher. I wish you luck for the upcoming clutch. If you have any questions for me this is the time to ask them.”

Taking a long drink from her mug of klah she nodded some, ”If you have no other questions you’re free to return to chores or lessons. I have many others still to meet with before the night is over. It was a pleasure meeting you.”

@Ruriko
----

{Kidanyr}
”Patrols aren’t all that interesting for the most part but they are needed. Generally handlers patrol in pairs if not more, criss crossing paths so they know things are okay. If you would like to tag along with a handler on patrol I’m sure I could arrange that, I have no problem helping others learn about what it is like to be a handler.” Norla took a moment to sip from her own mug before she continued, ”Threadfall patrols are different, more of a pride formation versus on your own, looking for burrows to burn them before any stray Thread can get too deep.”

To the young woman’s question she shrugged with a soft smile, ”It is different for everyone… Norsk has never been overwhelming though. A pain from time to time as he pushed me to see my own inner strength and potential, somewhat of a nag, but never overwhelming. I feel his emotions same as I would a dragon’s I suspect. Some claim that whers never really bond as closely to theirs as a dragon does, but since I’ve never been anything but a handler I can’t say how true that is. Norsk isn’t the type who is quick to anger so we’ve yet to be in a situation that he might feel strongly enough that I could become overwhelmed.” She hoped her answer was helpful for the young woman, she enjoyed when candidates had something thoughtful to question her about. ”Do you have any other questions? If not then you are free to go, I don’t want to keep you up too late.”

@Blot

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: May 8 2017, 11:36 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Ivy

Lia

She was honestly grateful for the Alphahandler's kind words. She was free with her praise, but Lia got the feeling that she did not flatter, and only spoke where praise was actually due. Otherwise, it would not have made her glad to hear it as it did. She gave a small nod, and said a polite, "Thank you," in response, but listened carefully to Norla's words about ensuring a queen wher would be more healthy and stable. It made sense...a lot rested on the shoulders of a queen and her handler. It was quite important. Stability, she knew, did not come as easily with whers as it did with dragons, oftentimes.

She had paid close attention and asked many questions of other handlers, and so did not really have any questions for Norla. She thought that the young woman looked like she could use a rest herself--likely she had a lot of work to do between candidates and her other duties with the clutch. So, she gave a small smile and shook her head, thanking Norla again. "I think I have most questions covered, but thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to see me." With this said, she stood, and wishing Norla a good evening, exited. She would think about this visit some, and speculate on Norla's words.

.exit.

Kaios

While his face was usually dark and brooding--some might equate it to resting Bitran face, on a male--there was a slight show of interest at Norla's telling him where she was from. The way she said it, she wasn't ashamed of it. As well she should not be. Her past had nothing to do with who she was, and was no more controllable than his own. He knew this better than most.

She was honest, this one. He raised an eyebrow slightly when she told him why she had preferred whers. It was a good reason. He said so. "Don't blame you..." He wasn't much one for words, but he could at least let her know he agreed with that--and quite wholeheartedly, even if it didn't sound so wholehearted. He tended to be a bit gruff when he spoke, or sound serious. Then she was asking him if he had questions. Truth was, he probably did, but he wasn't comfortable asking questions of someone, even if the offer was given. But she hit a chord with him, mentioning hunting.

"Who babysits who, I wonder," he replied, but there was an expression on his face, just for a moment, that wasn't gruff or broody. It was the closest he came these days to cracking a bit of a joke--or half joke, anyways. He didn't need the handlers to babysit him. It was, of course, required. "Not opposed," he replied, surprising even himself that there wasn't any hesitation in those words. Wasn't he? He was the kind of hunter who was normally held back by others. Yet he thought perhaps he would not be, in this instance. If she'd grown up Holdless, she'd need to be taught such a skill. He immediately questioned himself on why he would answer so freely. He could have told her no. He wasn't the sort who cared what rank she was at. If he wasn't comfortable he was saying so, and she'd given him the out to do so. Only he hadn't. Well, it didn't matter, because he found that he wasn't actually all that uncomfortable about it. Just curious. A hunting partner...well, he'd never had that. Just his firelizards, to keep watch--especially for wild felines and whers.

"Opposite gender, is it...strange?" He jerked his head slightly in Norsk's direction. Both his firelizards were male. He was male. Yet she was a woman bonded to a bronze. He might bond a female, and he wasn't sure what that might be like. Women and men were different, in many ways--at least he thought so. Women were more emotional, he'd found. More sensitive. He was neither of those things. He felt emotions, but they were more like wild, raging, unpredictable things--and that thought alone would have made any woman who heard it laugh, because that was exactly what most men thought women were. Still, he had been trying to wrap his mind around the idea of bonding a female. He didn't care about the sex and all that. That bothered him not at all. That was the only kind he'd had--the lust, the passion, the fire. He could care less about that. It was simply the mind that would be shared with his own. Would it feel strange if it were female? He wasn't sure.

Malika

Malika stood, glad for her dark skin so that the color rising in her cheeks should not be visible. She was no young thing, to be blushing at this sort of talk. She had asked, because it was important to know all things. It was better to be prepared than to rush into things like a fool, and this was important and valuable information that was being imparted. She listened very closely, keeping her face calm like the stillness of the lake on a calm day. She didn't wish to seem she was being immature by letting any of her nervousness show. Finally, when Norla was done, she spoke herself.

"I thank you for your helpful explanation, Alphahandler Norla. I will reflect on this and when the time comes, I will do what needs be done to make this as best it can be." A friend? She had no friends here. Plus, she preferred women. Weyrs were more lenient than Holds in that regard. There must have been women who would be amicable...perhaps some in a similar situation. Still, it made her face heat again to even think of it. She had time. She might not bond, and wherling classes, if she did, she hoped she might meet a person who would be willing...for now, she would simply take making friends among her fellow candidates more seriously, and perhaps even some younger wherhandlers. It was not something she wished to be forced into, and she understood that while her wher would wait, it would not be forever. She wished to make things easier on the both of them, and to do that, she needed to take Norla's advice.

"Your wher has chased?" It was a touch shyly asked, but she kept her voice strong and certain as she could. She was wondering if perhaps Norla, who did not look too much older than she was herself, had had a difficult time with it. If it had been unpleasant. It was a bit of a personal question, and yet there was simply no one else to ask. No question was a foolish question, her grandfather had said. The only way one would find an answer was to ask. His words were helpful, in all areas of her life. She shifted her feet a little, the only sign of any discomfort at all.

Nym

Nym hadn't noticed if Norla had nearly choked on her drink due to her words, because she was curiously looking at Norsk at the moment--fortunately, perhaps. Still, once Norla was speaking once more, she turned back to look at the young woman, head tilted just a little to one side, curiously. Was she more moody and emotional? She did find she was a little more given to letting her thoughts slip...a little more prone to feeling things she didn't want to feel about things she didn't care to--most to do with other people. Norla might have latched on to something there. She wasn't sure how a wher would adjust to it, and still, they let people Stand for whers and dragons at her age. So it made sense, to her, that her wher would adjust okay, if it picked her.

"Don't know' bout how it'll adjust, but I bet it will. If they didn't--adjust, I mean--then don't think I'd be allowed to Stand for 'em. Plus they can pick, right? Guessing the one that picks me is gonna' know I'm for it, and be okay with me having my own growing to do." It was clear she was thinking on it, by her words. It didn't make sense to her that they'd let her Stand if that wasn't how it was going to go. "Plus dragons go an' Impress ten turn olds. That's way younger'n'me." It was a bit of an exaggeration, since she was only three turns older. Still, to a thirteen turn old, that actually was 'way younger'.

She rather liked the answer she got. Well, if she was too young to join a pride, and had more time to work on it...it should go a lot easier for her. She nodded thoughtfully. It was something she hadn't known. Maybe there was more stuff she didn't know...that they hadn't told her in lessons. Still, she figured they'd learn it, and so she replied, "Think I'm probably gonna' learn anything I wanna' know in lessons, an' you look like you've had a long go of it. So thanks, an' you too, Norsk. I'll keep what you said in here," she finished, tapping the side of her temple with a smirk. She slid off the chair and walked past the desk. As she did, she swiped the treat that had been offered before up in a smooth motion, not even pausing, holding it up and saying over a shoulder, "Thanks for this, too."" The woman wasn't so bad. She was a good sort, Nym figured. Made her wonder, again, what her own mom was like. She figured she'd never know the answer to that, though...

.exit.

Shae

Norla's assumption was bang on. With Shae's pride, it didn't do to go admitting there were things you didn't know. The teen made her own assumption that anything she wanted to learn, she was going to learn in lessons--boring and dull as they were, they were at least informative, until they repeated themselves, like the candidates were dull enough that they needed reminders of things they'd already heard. Well, probably some of them were...but not her.

"No, thanks. I'll just go now." She did indeed at least have the sense to play nice, and keep it polite where respect was due to someone, even if she was bad at veiling her feelings from some intuitive people who noticed things such as her snark. Shae, obviously, had no clue that Norla noticed at all, and thought she was being clever about keeping polite. With that, she practically stalked out of the room, glad to be done with the boring 'interrogation'.

.exit.

Dhiren

Dhiren was a little surprised by her frankness, but it didn't bother him any, and he replied easily. "Well, thank you. I like me too--and you're all right too, of course," this with a lopsided smirk. Clearly he jested. Her opinion was probably a good one, considering who she was and the wher she herself had Impressed. Ren figured she knew a whole lot more about whers than he did, and while her words didn't change how he felt about his chances, since he figured it was just that--up to chance. Yet if she thought he'd do well, that was likely a good indicator.

"My thanks, Norla--may I call you Norla? I can't imagine you always enjoy 'Alphahandler'. If you'd prefer, of course, I can keep just calling you by your title," this with a bit of an upturn at the corner of his mouth, amusement, likely. He knew people who insisted on simply calling people by titles due to formality. Yet even if he were in some position like that, it would get old, and awkward. "Just one question: you free for Klah at some point? I'm sure you're busy as a vtol and questions can wait." He paused, and then, raising a finger, "purely platonic of course. Candidate," he said with a shrug, and a small smirk. Besides, she'd be sorely mistaken if she thought he was the kind of person who was so easily interested in anyone. Ego might do that to some, but he had a feeling not to this one. She looked around his own age, and he didn't really know anyone here, and preferred one on one. Plus, in her position, she was likely a good person to know. Truth was that he was a care-or-less type who only got attached to people he developed emotional connections with. That took time, and what he could have used in the here and now was a couple of people to call friends.
PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: May 15 2017, 08:52 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

{Lykaois}

Lifting her mug of klah up in a motion that was becoming second nature she listened as he answered her questions and then again as he asked one of his own, ”It is all I know.” Perhaps not the answer he was hoping to get from her - but really how could she know if it was strange or not? ”I grew up with brothers so whatever differences there are I’m fairly accustomed to.” Not to mention the fact she had grown up masquerading as a boy. It wasn’t until she arrived in Dalibor she had begun to embrace being a girl at all - even still she retained a number of boyish mannerisms; Norla was neither too masculine nor too feminine. She could pull off soft and sentimental if needed but that wasn’t really who she was at the core. Caring without being too open, it was a fine line that she had settled upon. ”Norsk has yet to participate in a Run. I suppose that has the potential to be strange but otherwise no, it is different but feels as though he is what I needed. Even if I didn’t know I needed anything at all.”

Another long draw from her mug before she glanced towards the door of her office, ”It is late. I think you will be a fine candidate Lykaois. Try to remember that the Weyr is a very large community and should you bond to a wher you’ll be an even bigger part of that community. If you have any further questions or issues my door is always open.”

----

{Malika}

”It is different…” Norla offered gently. The other woman had not offered any true signs of discomfort regarding the topic yet she seemed slightly more tense now than she had been before. Norla understood on some level - growing up she had been paraded around as if she were a strapping young lad and thus she had never formed any real romantic relationships. Physical relationships had been completely off limits, for fear if she was found out terrible things would befall her. There had been no real desire since leaving the isles to get close emotionally or physically with someone else. Perhaps a few fleeting moments of attraction but nothing she had seen fit to delve deeper into. ”Norsk has not given Chase yet.”

Shaking her head she shrugged lightly, ”I’m unsure if he senses I am not ready or if he is not ready himself. It is something I too have to think more of.” Though she was good at giving advice it seemed she needed to take her own advice as well. ”Did you have any other questions?”

----

{Dhiren}

”Norla is fine, yes.” It was refreshing to have someone treat her more like a real person versus just the Alphahandler, not that she didn’t appreciate her position or the importance of it. Stifling a yawn behind her hand she gave a long blink at the candidate’s question. Though she was not offended she was caught off guard. Questions about whers she had anticipated. Runs, yes she’d had other candidates ask her about that as well. Perhaps even questions about the gold egg and what it held, what responsibilities might befall the handler once the queen hatched out. Being asked to have klah sometime was not among the questions she was planning to field. After some careful thought she nodded slowly, ”I will be free at some point, yes. Unfortunately I fear it will likely be after the hatching that I will have more free time.”

Smiling she arched a brow slightly, ”By that time you will likely be busy with wherling lessons.” Optimistic perhaps but it was better to offer hope than try and discourage those she thought would do well within the wher program. ”Perhaps we can find time though, if you find you have more questions then.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: May 17 2017, 05:19 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

439 Posts
4044 Marks

Kaizre took a sip of the juice she had offered to him as he mulled over her latest question. How did he like Dalibor compared to Benden? Well, the answer to that question was a little more complicated and personal than he would like to admit. Certainly, he had a lot more freedom here at Dalibor than at Benden. He could finally relax without his father watching over him and judging every action he took. Not to mention he was able to be open about what he wanted to be, a wherhandler, and not a dragon rider like his family expected him to be. "It's...welcoming." He wiped at the corner of his mouth with one hand, thinking there was perhaps some wetness left behind from the juice there. "I'm glad to be here." Kai hoped that was enough to convey his feelings without giving away too much personal information. Still, the questions continued.

"I didn't mind leaving Benden." Not really. Not as long as his father stayed there. "I- my mother." The words slipped out before he could stop them. "I'll miss my mother. A moment of weakness. His hazel eyes hardened as he contemplated his next words. "Course she begged me to send her letters every day. You know mums." He tried to sound casual about it, like he hadn't messed up. But in his head, he was begging for the next question. "Not long. Few weeks before I left." The candidate didn't mind admitting to this particular truth. "My parents are both riders, and I thought that was what I was going to be too. Turns out I wanted something different." His gaze didn't waver as the Alphahandler finally took a seat. Good. All of these candidate interviews had to be exhausting for the woman.

Kaizre reclined back a little further as he searched for any questions he might have that weren't too revealing in nature. At last, "You got a hard job, being Alphahandler. Do you feel like the riders appreciate what you do?" Admittedly, he wasn't asking this question for himself. If the riders thought they were high and mighty because they fought thread in the air, while he was stuck on the ground, so be it. Rank was just a title in the end. Now, respect meant something. From what he had seen, Norla was worthy of her position, but did the riders recognize that?

@Ivy
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: May 17 2017, 07:19 PM
Wingrider

N/A

285 Posts
423 Marks

Kidanyr brightened up a bit at her offer.
“Oh that would be wonderful! Even if I don’t end up impressing, more knowledge can’t hurt. I’d be glad to be an extra pair of eyes.” A patrol! She could actually go on a patrol! That would be neat. Not only would she be able to learn, but she would be able to help.

She listened intently to what Norla said next, though. The young woman was someone to look up to. She seemed to calm and collected. Kida was glad to hear that Norsk wasn’t overpowering. She didn’t know what she would do if she impressed to someone who tried to overpower her own thoughts.
“I see, thank you for letting me know. I am trying to learn all I can before I impress. I’d rather go in having lots of experiences to draw from. Those are all my questions for now. Thank you for your time, Alphahandler Norla. May you have a good night.”

She had given Kidanyr much to think about, and standing, the girl would bow to both Norla and Norsk, before making her way back to her room. Her thoughts were abuzz with patrols and the idea of a wher mind sitting alongside her own. And these thoughts would stick for quite some time, even as she took to her chores the next day.

@Ivy

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 21 2017, 06:11 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"Questions?" Zel gave the alphahandler a considering look. She wasn't unfamiliar with the wher program. She knew the basics of standing, bonding and care. Learning more would come with time and experience. If she impressed a wher, no doubt her wherlingmaster would guide her class through the rest of the nuances. A small part of her begged to ask about being an alphahandler and the responsibilities that entailed. But she refrained. No need to get ahead of herself. Those questions could come later if the situation arose. For now, she was content with what she knew. "No. I have none at this time. Thank you, Alphahandler."

Standing, she offered a polite bow. She was not comfortable with the appraisal of the bronze handler. It was like she was looking for something. Judging. Of course, that was part of her duties. Making judgements. With Dalibor's spotty history, a keen eye could be the difference between keeping a weyr safe and losing hatchlings to murderers. Had Zel passed her test? Whatever subconscious checklist of qualities that made a person worthy of another's time and energy. People easily dismissed Zel. She didn't seek to stand out. She only desired to serve her purpose and to do so well. She would hold any responsibility on her back with grace and without complaint.

And she would stand up for her beliefs with a lifted chin and fire in her usually downcast eyes.

"I presume I am dismissed?"

So they did bite! Zaephor's mouth thinned at the prospect. The knife was bad enough, but he could imagine one of the wher's gnawing his leg off. It didn't matter that they were an armful at hatching, they could very well rip of his limbs if they wanted! He glanced away from Norla, attempting to mask his discomfort. Wher or dragon, he doubted he would ever be comfortable at hatchings. Bonded hatchlings were fine. Fully grown dragons and whers did not phase him in the least, no matter how big. It was the unbonded ones that made him shiver in fear, because they could easily wreck havoc before they impressed.

"Ah, many thanks, Alphahandler. I appreciate this opportunity to Stand, a rarity for a dragon candidate like myself," he said, rising to his feet and placing the half-empty cup of klah on her desk. "Zel will be glad to hear the news." Zaephor flashed a charming smile and dipped into a bow, flourishing his arm like a harper after a grand performance. As he turned and left the office, he wondered if she would have said anything different if she knew that he wasn't standing because of Zel...but for himself. For his own sake. To try and heal from the fear inside his head that he couldn't chase away.

-exit-

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: May 22 2017, 07:05 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

“Yes, you may go. I appreciate you being open and honest with your answers this evening. I hope that whatever it is you seek you find it on the sands.” Norla was tired and it was showing on her face, much as she tried to hide it. Standing as well she politely bowed her head to the candidate as she dismissed her. Eyes followed the girl as she made her way from her office and once she was gone she set to work cleaning up and setting out a new mug of klah. The next candidate would be in soon and the questions would start again.

-End.-

@Catsitta

----

Listening to the candidate’s answer she did her best to hide the frown that threatened to pull across her features. In the end she was successful in staving off most of the expression, though there was a dimple that formed between her eyebrows in lieu of a full furrow. ’You know mums’[/b]. Certainly he expected her to but how could she? There was no meaningless worry over staying in contact via letters for those who grew up on the isles. There was only survival and being more clever than the next person. Still how was he to know all of this? Offering a strained smile and shrug she forced a soft chuckle at the notion. ”Yes, mothers.”

When it came to his question for her she considered it for a long moment, filling the time with sips of klah. ”That is a difficult question to answer. I would love to say yes but really what do the riders even know of what I do?”, this time her chuckle was not forced. ”They sleep the nights away while I am up and about. The Weyrwoman at least will entertain my council if I offer but I suspect a woman far more experienced than I is unlikely to [i]truly
put much merit behind my words.” A smile tugged her lips, ”It doesn’t matter to me if they appreciate my work though. I do not seek their approval, my work is important to the Weyr.”

@Leo

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: May 22 2017, 11:34 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

439 Posts
4044 Marks

Kaizre was a master of his face. If nothing else, he could hide away the emotions that came bubbling up to the surface which would otherwise overwhelm him. Others had less training as was the case for Norla. Oh, she was good, there was no doubt of that, but even the slightest strain was obvious to one such as he. Dimglow, he chided himself. He hadn't meant to assume that she had a mother who doted on her and sent her letters and the like, he just, he just- what was he trying to say?! Argh, he was so disappointed in himself for making her feel bad. That was the last thing he wanted to do. He could say something, but that had the potential of only making her feel worse. So Kai pretended like he hadn't noticed her lie. It was better this way. This way they could move on.

"That is a very admirable attitude to have, Alphahandler." He could be polite even if his words were still pitched low and harsh. "I think that's all I have to ask. Thank you for your time." While maybe she had perked up a bit thanks to all the klah she had been drinking during their conversation, he doubted she was feeling very energetic right about now. He was happy to leave her to rest, even if it was only for a few moments before her meeting with the next candidate, it would still be something.

@Ivy
PM
^
Ives
 Posted: May 24 2017, 07:40 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

Tending to her notes she pulled out a drawer only to let loose a loud groan as she realized she was not done with the candidates. More files had been tucked away somehow and she pulled them free, slamming the drawer closed a bit harder than was necessary. Norsk lifted his head in surprise at the loud sound, grunting softly as he peered over at his handler. More to call? He inquired gently as he knew she was weary and upset. With a curt nod she offered him a brief image of the two still left - she had taken time to observe the candidates during lessons and memorized their names and faces so it wasn't hard. It had been important to remember people so you knew who you could and could not trust out on the isle, it was proving equally useful here as well.

Eryonthi - @Rowana
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Er-yon-thi come to Nor-la's office please. Gaius blinked from between near the girl and he trilled a soft greeting to her. He could show her how to get there, since he wasn't certain the large furry beast the girl relied on to help lead her around would know where to go. Norla had gone to the barracks to meet the girl from the north when she applied to join the wher program so the would have no frame of reference to lead herself the distance. Thus the burgundy firelizard would play shepherd, a task he took to happily despite it pulling him away from the meatroll he had been enjoying.

Eventually they made it and though Norsk was wary of the icehowler he made no threatening moves towards it; given that it could behave as well. Pulling a chair out Norla nodded to it before realizing that her body language may not be that useful now. Clearing her throat she started, "Do you need assistance with finding your seat?" If so she would help the girl, otherwise she would take her own seat. "Would you like something to drink?" Juice was ready if she wished to have something to sip on. "So, Eryonthi, we spoke briefly before when you first arrived and decided to join the wher program. Now that there is a clutch, one with a queen in it, I find myself in a position where all those wishing to stand must be vetted once more. I assure you that you are far from the first to be called to my office," the last thing she wanted was to make the young woman feel singled out; be it because she was from the north or because she was blind, "nor will you be the last. So tell me how are you finding Dalibor?"

It was hard for the woman to strike a balance - she needed to fulfill her duties by thoroughly vetting these candidates, needed to be polite, and needed to hurry. So much was expected of her. "As I said the clutch that Lady Irohvyne gifted us has a queen in it. How familiar are you with the care of whers?" More importantly she needed to decide if the girl would be a good queenhandler, should the egg's inhabitant choose her. A lack of sight was not all that hard a barrier to overcome, Oreanda had done just fine with using Osk's eyes. It was more the girl's origins that had her worried it might be too much for her.

Finally the candidate left and Norla's eyes fell over the next name, Go ahead and call her in so we can be done with it. Norsk gave a brief nod of his wide head, watching His for a moment as she drained a mug of klah and refilled it before he did just that.

Riven - @Zane
Spoiler (Show/Hide)
Ri-ven. Nor-la waits., he announced to the candidate before settling back down on the stone floor. Norla had ensured her office was very clean, sweeping and even scrubbing some areas before she had begun calling people to see her earlier in the evening. The candlemarks had slipped away and she wondered if she might find sleep before Rukbat reached her zenith. When the young woman entered, Norla glanced at the hide that held all of her information briefly. She wasn't much younger than the Alphahandler was and that fact amused her for some reason; likely her weariness was finally getting to her. Cracking a wide smile she nodded to the empty seat across from her. "Riven. There is juice if you would like some," a pause to help the girl with the mug if needed, if not she would continue on just the same, "I'm certain you've heard about the wher clutch on the sands. That is why I have called you to my office. There is a queen nestled in that clutch and I must make sure you are ready for that, should you stand and impress to her. Do you feel you are ready for a queen wher? Have you had much experiences with whers overall?"

The girl wasn't Weyrbred as far as she could recall. Something about the sea? Everything was beginning to blur together in her mind and she took a sip of her klah in hopes it would help keep her alert enough for this meeting. "We cannot risk someone who would fail at their duties bonding to any of the wherlets, much less the queen. Walk me through the day to day life of a wherling, as best as you know."

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Aug 13 2017, 07:38 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Ivy

Lykaios

He listened to her until she was done speaking in entirety. He supposed, from her explanation, that it would be something he would find acceptable once it had happened. The wher chose the handler. Should his wher be female...well, then he supposed it was what he needed, odd as that notion seemed to him. Perhaps she would be a less effeminate creature...there was really no telling.

Didn't think she needed anything at all...did he think that? In some regard, yes. In others, no. He was here because he was missing something, and knew it. Even if he could not place that, it was true, if he was willing to search himself. So, he gave a nod, silent, and looking pensive. Well, he might not bond at all this go around. He had plenty of time to think on it, as he spent more time thinking than he did talking to anyone, anyhow. "Understood," he finally said, and he did, and was thankful she'd given him what explanation she could. It might not be something he thought suited him, to bond a female...but if he did, at least it would be because it was the right thing for him.

He missed nothing, and so the glance at the door was not missed. She had other people to see and a long night ahead of her, he was sure. In a smooth, fluid motion, he was up out of the seat and gave her another nod--acknowledgment. He was not sure what to say upon leaving, but settled on, "I'll remember that," and it could have been about the first, or about her door always being open--that was left entirely to her interpretation. "Thanks," was the other word spoken, a little more gruffly. As though the notion of the word was a bit foreign to him. In truth, he rarely had cause to thank a person, and was not entirely always comfortable doing so. It seemed like the thing to say, considering she'd given of her time, made an offer, and said what she had about her thoughts on him 'making a good candidate'. With that, he glanced at Norsk, gave the wher a brief inclination of his head--respect, in his terms--and strode lithely from the room.

.exit.

Malika

At her answer, Malika merely looked thoughtful and gave a curt nod. It made sense if Norsk had yet to chase, that there would be no real answers to be had here. That was as it may be, and there was no helping that. Norla gave the best answer she could, and Malika appreciated it. She looked to Norsk, dark eyes resting on the bronze wher as though she was trying to read his mind, almost.

"I do think he cares much for you, alphahandler. Only the wher knows the truth of it, methinks." It would be nice, that. To have a partner who could be that considerate of you. They could share in their strengths and build each other up where they were weak. She sincerely hoped she might be so fortunate as to bond this clutch, though if not, she would have much time to consider things, and to grow and strengthen her own self. There was nothing wrong with that, and she was eager to meet her match, one day.

"I will not keep you, but you have my thanks for your time." She had taken enough of it, she was sure. There were others to attend to, and she would of course hold it in her mind that if she had more questions, she had this offer to ask them of the alphahandler. "Thanks to you as well, great bronze," she spoke to Norsk, giving a bow and then adding, "best of luck to you both. May the night pass swiftly so you may rest and be strong for the next day." With that, she took her leave, left once more to her own thoughts.

.exit.

Dhiren

Dhiren noted the yawn and opted to say nothing. She'd probably been through a bunch of candidates already by this point, and had more to go. Positions of rank didn't unnerve him like it might some, or make him treat anyone any differently than if they were a regular individual with no rank. Sure, there was the whole respect aspect that people of rank expected...but surely there was some leeway with that. They had friends and were people just the same as those who didn't. He watched her when she responded, tilting his head a little, reading her expression as much as her words. Standing, he said in a voice that was clearly teasing,

"I look forward to it. Don't go forgetting, hmm? I'm sure you're busy so if you do, I'll forgive you," he added with a grin. If she forgot, it would be from being busy, and as she spoke again, he chuckled lightly. Well, he might be busy too, for all he knew. He didn't count his eggs before they hatched. Never had. It could go any which way, and he might still be a candidate as easily as he might be a wherling. Time would be the teller. "Time's a funny thing. Always have it, until you don't." With that, he turned to go, though he did pause to look back over his shoulder and bid her and Norsk farewell. "Pleasure meeting both of you, Norla, Norsk."

.exit.
PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr