April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Dark Days, Bright Nights, SP:17 [Swithin/Zanii]
Ives
 Posted: May 26 2017, 06:16 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks
Member Inventory: View

The shadow of a pale ghoul passed just beneath the surface of the water, Swithin's eyes following the form's every move as it made a wide circle in the lake. Finally it surfaced enough to exhale, the force of its breath causing a spray of water to shoot in front of it a few inches before it inhaled deeply and sunk back under the water's cover. Shaking his head he leaned his head back against the cluster of rocks her was perched on. A few more minutes passed before the ghoul surfaced again to exhale and draw in fresh air. Without looking Swithin called out, "Might want to call it good for now, you're likely to blow a lung pushing yourself like that."

Rather than turn to shore the blue continued his circling, though he had to surface more frequently for air. "I told you, you're no spring wherry. Give it a rest!" Eventually the wher relented and turned towards the shore, pulling out of the water and flopping onto the soft soil there in a way that looked more like he had collapsed. If not for their bond Swithin might have been concerned when he finally leaned his head forward once more and opened his eyes, "Lazy, couldn't even make it up here?" Humor laced through his words before he settled his head against the rock, turning so he could look around their side of the weyrbowl. Spotting a figure making its way from the candidate's barracks he narrowed his eyes - was someone sneaking out of the barracks?

Rukbat had been down for some time and while he knew there were some wher candidates left he figured they'd all be well engrossed in chores at this point. Hopping up he began a brisk walk towards the barracks where he'd seen the movement in the dim light provided by glowbaskets around the bowl. "You there!"

@Leo

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: Jun 5 2017, 02:36 AM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

457 Posts
4059 Marks

A soft smile decorated Zanii's face as she stepped out from the candidate barracks into the light of the glows. She found herself humming an old tune that had popped into her head out of nowhere, something that was distinctly familiar, but she couldn't quite place why. She paused two steps from the door as if that would help her remember. At her heels, her shadow in the form of a slender black wher also paused. His green eyes swiveled from the edge of the bowl to Zanii's pursued lips, taking careful note of each minute adjustment to her features. Hmmm...nope, nothing! 'Zansk remembers.' The woman's face crinkled at this question within an admission. 'Oooh, don't tell me! Is it- wait...I know, the spring song!' She clapped her hands together as she beamed down at her wher. It was an old favorite at gathers if she remembered correctly. "I love spring," she sighed which ended her humming in the process, although she had resumed her walk away from the barracks. "However, I can't say I'm used to how warm it is here!"

The candidatemaster had dressed herself in a short-sleeved tunic and and trousers that day, both a brilliant scarlet red in color, but now she couldn't help but wonder if a light shift would have been more appropriate to wear. Shells, if this was Dalibor in the spring, what would the summer season be like? Very warm - that was for sure! Of course, that wasn't to say it would be awful, just that it would take a northern native like her some time to get used to. "Do you think-" You there! Zanii tensed. Who would be talking in that tone of voice...to her? Admittedly, she was was not big on titles, but nevertheless not many dared to speak down to a Candidatemaster. A sharp growl ripped itself from Zansk's throat as he placed himself between his handler and the imposing man making his way to their position. He knew a threat when he saw one and he was ready to die for Zanii if such was his fate. The woman's first wher had done no less for their love. The black spread his wings - torn as they were - in order to make himself look bigger. 'Stay back,' he hissed.

The woman herself had her hands curled into loose fists and rested them lightly against her hips. She didn't know who this man was, but she wasn't about to be intimidated, not by his words or by his bulk. Even when she had to move her chin up in order to meet his eyes he would find himself greeted with a wry smile. Zanii was rarely bothered by her height anymore. If anything, it made her laugh when someone suggested it could make her weak. Tsk tsk, looks were deceiving. Apparently her naysayers hadn't had the privilege of a good teacher to tell them that. Yes, she was short, but she was also a handler and handlers knew how to take care of themselves. Plus, she had Zansk. With her black by her side, what was there to fear in the world? Even well-muscled strangers were only something to raise an eyebrow at. "Yes, love? Did you need something from me?"

@Ivy
PM
^
Ives
 Posted: Jun 5 2017, 05:08 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks

In his defense she was so small, especially from a distance. It was not until he was upon her that he realized just who it was he had hollered at. Shards, didn’t he look like a fool? Before he could open his mouth he found that Swisk was at his side, having stood and made his way over when he heard His call out to someone. Offering a low warble of greeting he sought to cut through the tensions that had arisen thanks to a case of mistaken identity. ”Oh. It’s you. Thought one of the little ones was out of bed when they ought not to be.”

Ask Swisk and Swisk tell you. But noooo. No good making friends here. Swisk nearly cringed as His spoke to Zansk’s, he seemed to know that so far things weren’t going well even if Swithin was none the wiser. Bumping against the man’s legs he settled back on his twig like haunches as he peered at the other handler and her wher. Hello! Nice be meeting you. Swisk., the greeting was extended to both the black wher and the diminutive woman before them.

It suddenly occurred to the handler exactly what he had said and how it may have been taken - or how it likely was taken since there were other ways she could have taken it. Clearing his throat he rolled his shoulders in a small shrug, no use in fretting over it. Not like she could slap him from way down there. A lopsided smirk played at his lips as he jerked a thumb back towards the dining hall’s entry across the bowl. ”Going for klah, join me? I’m Swithin by the way. Swisk here thinks I need to meet people. Don’t know many around these parts yet.”

@Leo

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: Aug 7 2017, 04:38 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

457 Posts
4059 Marks

Zansk lowered his shredded wings after Swisk's soft greeting, the slivers of yellow and red in his eyes melting back into deep green. It was like nothing had ever happened. 'Good meeting you, Swisk. I be Zansk.' The black wher tucked in all of his limbs as he took a seat on the ground, intending to find a comfortable position in case this conversation ran long. 'Swisk be new to Dali-bor?' He didn't remember seeing the blue before, although it was possible he had just missed the other wher. He also had to consider that he himself was still a fresh wherry in the grand scheme of things; residents were always coming and going in an active Weyr like Dalibor. However, their stories remained, and it was Swisk's past that Zansk was most interested in.

"Yes, it is only little old me," the woman giggled, with sharp emphasis put on the word 'only.' "Zanii, Wher Candidatemaster, at your service." She dropped into a little curtsy under the other handler's brown eyes before straightening. "That said, thank you for being so concerned for my babies! They can be oh-so naughty sometimes." She winked, gesturing back to the barracks as if one would appear any moment now. "And hello to you too, Swisk! I do love making new friends." It was obvious from the smile that tugged at her lips that Zanii wasn't perturbed by Swithin's words in the least. If anything, she was even more amused. "Mmm, I love klah! Don't mind if I do, Swithin, thank you for asking."

She positioned herself alongside Swithin with Zansk following at her heels. Her short legs would have to work hard if the blue handler set a fast pace, but she would utter no words of protest. If a relaxed pace was set, Zanii would take the time to chat, eager to learn more about her new companion while also taking into consideration Swisk and Zansk's words. "I haven't been Candidatemaster here for very long, so don't you worry about a thing. And I've been so busy with the candidates, I can't say I've met too many others either! I guess one could say we're in the same boat, huh?" She made a rowing motion with her clasped arms, laughing as she did so.

@Ivy
PM
^
Ives
 Posted: Aug 14 2017, 09:37 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks

Be new, yes. Come Dal-i-bor from Tel-gar. Beaming proudly Swisk gathered himself up to his full height and size, though it wasn’t much to look at. Sickly and wraith-like his wide eyes peered at the black amidst pinched pale hide; if one were to only give a glance at the blue he would appear to be a skeleton more so than a wher. His wings, short and bony protrusions that were never capable of flying, shifted against his sides as he regarded Zansk’s and His. At least she didn’t seem as put off by His as most people were - it was a good start if nothing else.

”Ah so you’re the one who beat me out for Candidatemaster then.” A flat tone delivered the words - there was no malice nor any teasing note to his voice. It was simply a fact that she was in the position he had been vying for when he transferred. Being nice. Swisk gently reminded His and Swithin responded in kind by smiling, or at least it was supposed to be a smile, the expression coming across as tense rather than genuine. Meeting new people was not among the reasons he came to Dalibor but he knew it couldn’t hurt. These were people he would likely run into time and time again throughout his time living there, however long that may be. He watched as she looked at Swisk and was equal parts relieved and surprised when she did not seem put off by his appearance. Those he knew back in Telgar were a mixed bag - some accepted Swisk for who and how he was while others would have seen him culled at his hatching so Swithin could bond to a stronger wher. Not knowing how others would react left him guarded when it came to his blue; Zanii seemed neither repulsed nor driven to sympathy by Swisk and the man’s shoulders visibly softened.

With the woman accepting his invitation he began towards the dining hall at a relaxed pace - where once he might have been the type to rush about Swisk’s injuries forced the man to slow things down. Following behind the handlers and alongside the black Swisk kept up well considering the loping limp his injuries forced him to take. ”I hear Dalibor has some of the top dragonhealers, if only I’d been here rather than in Telgar when that heavy fall hit.” A very soft hint of regret and sorrow colored his words, upon learning more about the Weyr he now resided in he had heard of a redrider who was proficient with dragons and whers. Would she have been able to preserve Swisk’s mobility had they been here rather than Telgar when thread fell upon him eating into flesh and bone? It was a question that bored into his mind and festered there despite Swisk not minding his slower pace. At times he ached but the blue was not one to complain.

Am fine. Swisk’s be too worry.

Shrugging he peered over at the slight woman with a bit of his smirk returning - the default expression for when he didn’t know what else to do with his face. ”Where did you transfer from?”

@Leo

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 07:57 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

457 Posts
4059 Marks

'Tel-gar?' Green eyes widened slightly as the wher digested this piece of information. 'Zansk from north too.' He had been born to High Reaches Weyr instead. While the two Weyrs were entirely different entities, they had a shared heritage of cold and valuable minerals, and that was enough for Zansk to draw connections between the two. How interesting that Dalibor had managed to attract two handlers from the north for the very same Candidatemaster position...or perhaps, it wasn't so curious after all.

"Oh? Is that why you transferred?" Zanii's voice didn't falter, remaining the same joyful tone she had started with. The woman was a little surprised to hear him bring the topic up - in her experience, most people avoided talking about their perceived failures - but she had no reason to feel guilty or defensive for receiving the position and he wouldn't have brought it up if he didn't want to talk about it. "I've never been one to turn away a helping hand, if you're interested." She didn't mean to be consolatory; it was the truth. However, her smile did drop at the corners at the mere mention of the disastrous threadfall of the past. They had all lost too much that day...herself included. "We can't change the past, unfortunately, only the future. Of which, the candidates are our future. No wonder the Candidatemaster position is so coveted, hmm?" Her lips lifted once again.

"Why, I'm from High Reaches Weyr, the one and only." While Dalibor was her home now, High Reaches would always hold a special place in Zanii's heart. It was where she found herself again and where she gained her lifelong companion in Zansk. She didn't see anything wrong with having a little pride for her old Weyr alongside her new one. "Though, I have to say, the rumors about Dalibor being a breeding ground for disorder are greatly exaggerated...everything is just as I hoped it would be!" Zansk hummed his agreement. 'Baby can-di-dates same, Dali-bor, High-Reach-es. Still need Zansk, still not think like wher.'

@Ivy
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil