April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Dark Side, AU:17 {Ruri/Ivy}
Ruriko
 Posted: Aug 18 2017, 12:21 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

624 Posts
260 Marks
Member Inventory: View

@Ivy

Time had ceased to matter. Days blended into one another, mornings and nights,
nights and mornings. Half the time, she had to be reminded to eat. She didn't bathe as often as she'd used to, and when she did, she sat in the bathing pool for candlemarks, not wanting to get out again. Her firelizards, Navi and Sin, were the reason she remembered things like eating, bathing, and taking care of herself. They were literally the reason she pushed forward.
That, and she didn't feel like she could give up, because Sin would not have wanted it. The letters from her older sister helped, some. Still, her parents hadn't sent one. They probably wanted nothing to do with her. Blamed her, even. She knew they did.

She had been trying hard to bathe at least a twice a sevenday. She knew it was important to take care of herself, and yet she was mostly depressed and down. She hadn't become close to anyone, and was painfully lonely. The cyan and blue helped, again. Yet she felt like people didn't know what to say to her, because she didn't feel much like talking. She'd been encouraged to see the Weyr's Mindhealer. Told she could talk to the Weyrwoman whenever she needed to. She did neither. Instead, she spent all her candlemarks alone, with Navi and Sin, when she wasn't at lessons or doing chores. She preferred having something to do, admittedly. When she did, at least she wasn't thinking. She'd taken to reading as much as she could, and was trying to get back into drawing and writing. That did not come easily. She struggled to want to do anything at all. Even now, she sat with a sketch pad and charcoal stick. It had nothing on it at all. She just held it, staring out over the water, thinking about absolutely nothing at all.

Her mind began to wander. Back to when she'd lived at Crescent Hold with Sin and her parents. She was recalling the night before they'd left. It had been her idea. To get Sin 'free' and able to live life as her truest self. She'd sworn she'd protect her and that they'd have the life they'd always dreamed of. Free of judgment, restrictions and unhappiness.
So much for that promise...as she became lost in her memories, she didn't see or hear anyone approaching...
PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Oct 9 2017, 11:36 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks

Wandering through the weyrbowl wide-eyed was how Orissa had spent the first two days of her time in Dalibor and how she was spending her time now. Fort had been an impressive Hold but she’d never visited the Weyr they were beholden to, only heard secondhand stories about it and seen crudely drawn images scratched into the dirt by tall tale telling holdbrats. Then it had all seemed like a dream too good to be true. Too big to be true even, but now she was here within the walls of a Weyr in awe of everything she saw. To think that Dalibor wasn’t even the largest Weyr that Pern had to offer very well nearly blew her young mind. S’vor had not seen her since dropping her off at the candidate barracks with her papers and his name. While some may have thought the man was avoiding his newfound daughter she was wholly convinced he was simply a busy man. Of course he was - saving Pern was a hard job and surely kept him busy.

In time she’d no doubt hear the rumors that undoubtedly circled about the Weyr of her father jumping from bed to bed; for now she was content in her ignorance. Coming upon the lake she looked around and thought of tossing a rock in, only stopping when she noticed pillies wandering in and out of the lake. Oh! Right! She didn’t want to risk hitting one of the interesting, if not slightly eerie, scuttling creatures. They had done nothing wrong so she dropped the rock she’d picked up - only then noticing someone else was there with her. ”Oh hello! It’s nice out today isn’t it? Not too cold, not too hot.” Stepping closer she realized the girl was also a candidate, she recognized her from the one lesson she’d attended since arriving, ”You’re a candidate too! Dragons or whers? Or maybe both? I’m going to try for both! I’m not sure what my luck will be, my father’s a dragonrider. Just met him actually! How are you?” On closer inspection her brows furrowed together, the other girl looked as though something was wrong. Suddenly she doubted her presence was wanted and she paused, rocking on the balls of her feet and tapping her heels together as she fidgeted. ”I’m Orissa.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 10:29 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

624 Posts
260 Marks

@Ivy

The voice startled her, though she tried not to let that show. She glanced up to see a blond girl, and for a moment, the fact she looked a little like Siinari was not lost on the brunette teen. Yet it was only a little, and Kat was used to seeing her sister in at least half the blond haired girls about the Weyr. The conversational tone, the friendly, open expression--that was not Siin-like at all. Nor was it, in fact, very like most people who actually knew her by face or name about the Weyr. No one had really bothered with her outside sympathetic gestures and looks that were not at all wanted. She didn't need or want sympathy. The only thing she wanted, she could not have: her sister back.

She said nothing while the girl spoke, Ignorant bliss must have been nice. The thought was rather cold, for her, but once she had been so brightly optimistic as that. This girl hadn't, clearly, been at the hatching where her sister had died. From the way she spoke, she was a brand spanking new candidate, who thought Impression and hatchings to be the most wonderful thing there was on all of Pern. Well, she might soon find out just what a hatching could be like. People got hurt. People could die. Her sister had. She wanted to tell the girl who introduced herself as 'Orissa' to let her alone. Yet the whole reason she'd been avoiding people was for their sake. Being rude and snarky was not her style in the least, nor in her nature. She'd isolated and it was taking a bit of a toll, admittedly. This girl didn't know any better. She was just being friendly, and she was as excited as Kat herself had been when she'd arrived. She'd find out soon enough the reality of things. For now, her ignorance was likely as blissful as her own had been. Lessons would tell her that the armor was there for a reason, and hopefully she'd have the sense to get out of the way if a dragon came rampaging in her direction.

"Dragon," she replied, pausing as she tried to consider how to nicely answer just 'how she was'. How should she respond? Well, there was always the easy lie. She'd gotten used to saying 'I'm fine' so no one would need to know she was a mess. Yet it was tiresome, so she simply said, "I've been better. Your father?" She didn't really want to talk about herself, or how she was doing. Still, perhaps as much because it was polite as because she'd been raised with manners, she added, "I'm Kat." Maybe Orissa would hear about her, or even in the two days she'd been here, had heard the name mentioned? She knew that some of the candidates had taken to walking on glass around her. Like she might break. She was already broken, but she was still here. Still alive, still living as a candidate...if one could call the existence she led living. She wasn't in a great place emotionally. Yet if she was going to break more than she had, she'd have already done it. She had decided to stay a candidate, and to keep Standing. It was what Siinari would have wanted for her. She didn't know if her sister would have kept Standing herself, but she had always been the one to take the lead, hadn't she? If she didn't Stand, then she reasoned Sin's death had been for nothing. Neither of them would Impress if that was the case. It wasn't like she had a life to go back to. This was her life, for better or worse. She needed to keep on going, even if it was hard.
PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 02:26 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks

Fidgeting slightly while waiting for the other girl to reply she took to looking around the weyrbowl; staring at the other girl likely felt as awkward for her as it did Orissa. When she finally spoke up Orissa’s head canted slightly to the right as it was wont to do when she was focused on listening intently. There was definitely more to the girl’s current state than ’I’ve been better’ but as this was their first meeting and she hadn’t yet put two and two together - yes she’d definitely heard about the girl who lost her life on the Sands and it was dreadfully sad but she hadn’t heard about the lost girl’s sister - she decided it would be rude to pry. Instead she seized upon the girl’s inquiry about her father, ”His name’s S’vor, I doubt you’ve heard of him since you’re a candidate but if you were a rider… or handler… or crafter… or weyfolk…”, her face twisted into a somewhat disgusted look for a moment as she considered just how many people did know her father and for what reasons, ”then you’d likely have heard of him. He met my mother back at Fort Hold and then he Impressed and well… now I’m here at Dalibor. He brought me back.”

It wasn’t the full story but it wasn’t as if she were about to unload turns worth of emotional baggage on a complete stranger. ‘Hi I’m Orissa and my mum’s dead, dad chases all the women and probably men that exist, and I have huge abandonment issues’ just didn’t quite have a nice ring to it. Especially not when she so desperately wished to make new friends here. She’d had so many back at Fort and she’d left them all behind for the chance to get to know her father - not that he had spent much time with her since she arrived at the Weyr. This was new to both of them; she’d spent turns planning everything out and he had never even known she existed. It was hard to be understanding but she was trying, it’s all she could really do at this point. At least she had lessons to distract her - so many things to learn and see! The Weyr was different than the hold had been, though she found comfort in familiar things like doing chores. Those weren’t much different at all and they felt like home to the girl who had grown up a drudge for half her life. ”Kat is a pretty name. Are you weyrbred or from one of the holds? This is my first time at the Weyr… any Weyr actually.” Eyes lifted up towards the giant stone walls all around them. Fort’s walls were large with most of the rooms built into a great cliff face but this was large on an entirely different scale. Overhead a green and black dragon flew by and she rocked back on her heels slightly, eyes wide in awe, ”Definitely didn’t see this many dragons back home.”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 01:39 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

624 Posts
260 Marks

@Ivy

Kat would have been more aware of the awkwardness of the lingering silence had she not been lost in her own thoughts. As it was, she merely focused on when the girl spoke in reply to her query about her father. Now, it could never be said that the teen was not perceptive. She heard the inflections in the words that Orissa was speaking, and very quickly caught on to their meaning. She was looking at the girl's face at the time, and the way it twisted in an expression that was clearly recognized as 'disgust'...well, that meaning she'd guessed must have been right. She actually nearly let a laugh escape. Oh my. So, the man was like that, was he? Yet since coming here, she'd been downright shocked at how free many of the dragonriders--and others--were with whom they bedded. Perhaps she should not have, and yet the words slipped loose before she had time to even think how they would be received. Orissa had, to be fair, given her cause for them.

"Is he so much worse than many of them are?" Then, quick to explain, "with all the flights and runs, it's apparently really commonplace for those not weyrmated or in some kind of more permanent relationship to just bed whomever is amicable to it. Is he simply that kind of guy, who does that when there's flights and runs and whatnot? Because believe it or not--and I didn't, at first--that's considered pretty normal, here." She had been downright horrified to discover just what happened when dragons rose, whers ran, and even some stronger firelizard bonds had their flights. She certainly didn't want to be part of that kind of thing...she hadn't even...well, that was personal. Yet she was sixteen, raised in a very strict upbringing, and Hold born. She had not, and did not want to end up, and didn't even want to think about it right now. She didn't realize what was happening. It was the first time holding any sort of conversation that wasn't lesson related queries from the candidatemaster. She was, somehow, falling easily enough into it. The blond girl was only a couple turns older than her younger sister had been. Same hair color. Same eye color. If she reflected on it at all later, it would be easy to see how she fell into talking to Orissa so quickly, where she'd tried not to speak much to others--mostly out of selflessness.

Orissa would have been surprised to find that they both had a lot of emotional baggage. Kat's parents had been beyond traditional and strict. Her upbringing had been unpleasant, to say the least. Her relationship with her parents was...nonexistent, really. She was sure they blamed her for Siinari's death. Her older sister still wrote. In her last letter, she had stated that she was trying to acquire a gift for her that would be difficult to get, but would be a huge surprise and hopefully add some light to her life. Yet she'd stated it would take some time. Kat was curious, but her sister wasn't spoiling it. She was sure that her older sister just wanted to give her mind something else to think about. She loved her for it, but she was half afraid Krystin blamed her somewhat, too. She knew it was unfair to assume, but how could she not? Krystin and she had always been super close because they were closer in age. Yet they were supposed to protect their younger sister--that was something they'd both agreed on. She had failed to do that. Failed in the worst imaginable way. Sometimes, she had even wished it was her who'd been killed, not Siin. At least then...even if she was afraid to die, it meant Siin wouldn't have. Siin had been her parent's favorite. Not for anything she'd ever done. Simply because her mother was convinced that Siin would turn out the exact way she wanted, whereas Kat and Krystin had not. Well, it had come as a huge surprise--though it shouldn't have, if they knew anything about their daughter at all--that Siin was even less the person they wanted their daughters to be than Kat or Krystin. Yet while Kat and Krystin were poorly treated, Siin was favored. And so it was that all the blame for what had happened fell upon Kat.

At the compliment to her name, Kat actually colored a bit. Even though part of her was sure it was just being nice, compliments were not something the girl was used to receiving. She certainly paid enough of them--and she was no flatterer, so they were all sincerely meant--but she couldn't recall the last time she'd received one. "Thank you," she said softly, and then, "so is Orissa." Then, in regards to her questions, she replied, "It's my first time, too. I'm from Crescent Hold. I'd never seen a Weyr before here. At first it was really overwhelming. This place...it looks like something out of dreams I used to have. Siin and I--" she swallowed, words cut short. She'd been about to tell this girl that her sister and she had always dreamed of a Weyr like this. Still...she hadn't exactly talked about her sister at all. Could it hurt? She wasn't looking for pity, after all. She knew some did--pitied her. Felt sorry for her. Yet she could only blame herself for what had happened. She hadn't acted fast enough. She was supposed to have protected her little sister. She had failed, again, horribly. Still, even though her voice had a strain to it, like the words were hard for her to speak--and they were--she spoke them. "Siin and I used to talk of our dreams...coming to a place like this Weyr. Impressing dragons. Being dragonriders. It was all..." a pause, and a shaky breath, "It was all we ever wanted." If what had happened had not, things would be so different. All she could think was 'why Siin'? Why had it happened to her sister? Not that she thought it should happen to anyone. Yet the twelve turn old girl hadn't even lived. Sure, back home she was coddled and spoiled. Yet she was trapped, unable to be who she was, and unable to really live her life any more than Kat. They were so happy having come here, even despite Siin's anxieties. Now it was a totally different story. Kat just tried to make it through each day, and to not be unable to sleep most of the night because she was afraid she'd either have nightmares about that day, or dream of Siin and wake up a mess.

She smiled wryly and nodded. "Dragons, no...not back at Crescent, either..." Dragons. They'd been everything, to her. Even having not one, but two firelizards was a miracle enough to the girl. She'd always wanted one. The cyan and blue were amazing. What must a dragon be like? "Which Hold do you come from? Do you have siblings back home?" She wasn't the kind of person who centered on herself, and always tried to draw out the other person--or had been. It had been many sevendays, and this was familiar but new to her. She had no friends here. Just her firelizards. It was painfully lonely, even if she did attend lessons with others; did chores with others. It was just her and her 'lizards, she felt. Talking to Orissa was therapeutic. It wasn't a thought Kat had, it just simply was.
PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Dec 12 2017, 09:20 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1432 Posts
1070 Marks

Listening intently she rolled her shoulders in a shrug, ”From how he was when we finally met… I’d wager it isn’t just runs and flights. I don’t know him all that well though, so I can’t really say for sure.” Lips pursed slightly as she admitted to having no relationship with her father - since he’d brought her to Dalibor with him they hadn’t even had a meal together. While she tried her hardest not to blame him for being standoffish she desperately wanted to be a bigger part of his life. The fact he’d brought her with him meant, to her at least, that he wanted her to be some part of his life too. It would take time and after having spent her whole life waiting to meet him she was exceedingly patient. Someday they’d be close, she just knew it.

As Kat answered her questions Orissa listened intently, smiling until the girl’s tone changed. There was a hitch in her voice and she seemed to pause, hesitate even, before continuing. Siin. The name sounded familiar to her for some reason but she couldn’t recall why - she’d met so many people in the past few days and was still rather overwhelmed by how much her life had changed. Tilting her head slightly to the left, a habit of hers when she was curious or thoughtful, she perked up some, ”It’s a good dream to have, I think. I never really had it even though I knew my father was a dragonrider… guess it never occured to me I could be one too.” It made sense to her, though S’vor had seemed confused by it, that she had only planned on staying in the Hold for the rest of her days. They’d clothed and fed her, in exchange for work but it was still more than her own flesh and blood had been willing to do after her mother’s death. ”Is it still what you want? It’s just…”, then it was her turn to pause as she mulled it over. Was she prying too much if she asked? Oh but it was too late to wonder about that now - she’d already done it, ”it doesn’t sound like you’re that enthusiastic about it even though it was your dream.”

Kicking a rock she leaned her head back so she could take in the sight of the towering Weyr walls teeming with life. Dragons flying from this ledge to that, passing overhead, firelizards all over the place. ”I’m from Fort, so I’m a long ways away from home. No siblings that I know of, then again my father didn’t even know I existed so there’s a fair chance I might have some out there somewhere.” Letting her gaze fall back on Kat she smiled, ”You’re from Crescent you said, any brothers or sisters?”

@Ruriko

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 06:15 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

624 Posts
260 Marks

@Ivy

There was no judgment on Kat's face as she listened to Orissa speak of her father. She didn't miss that her fellow candidate didn't seem to be certain about which it was. The dark-haired girl didn't take it as any indication that Orissa didn't know her father that well. It wouldn't be expected that the man's daughter be privy to his bedroom habits, after all, beyond the very obvious. She had no real relationship of the nature she would have wanted with her own parents...and now worse than none. Things between her older sister and herself had been strained, in her own mind. She blamed herself for Siin's death, so how could her parents and older sister not? She never should have convinced her to come. Rationality was not the winning factor when she was at war with such a thing as guilt. Siin may have wanted to be there, but she'd never have done it if her older sister hadn't promised her a better, freer life where she could truly be herself. Yes...blaming herself was not something she could simply overcome so easily--it wasn't as if there was another voice of reason to tell her it hadn't been her fault, either.

There was a flash of genuine surprise that crossed Kat's features as Orissa said she had never thought she might be a dragonrider herself, with her father being one. It was quite common knowledge that if you were born a child of a dragonrider, that it was your right to Stand. Still, the teen was never the sort to judge, and it wouldn't start now. She was analytical, and her mind immediately decided there was probably a reason for it. Perhaps her life had not permitted her to give it much thought? It wasn't really her right to pry, and she didn't want to be rude in asking, no matter that she might have wanted to know 'why not'. Instead, she accepted it, and merely gave a thoughtful nod. Besides, the next question took her aback. Her blue-grey eyes seemed to have more green in them when she was thinking, like she was now. They met Orissa's, and her mouth opened as though to make a reply, but then closed. No one had asked her that. Not one single person had questioned whether or not she still wanted to Stand.

There was a long pause as Kat simply stared at the other girl, her eyes seeming almost to search the other's for the answer she sought. Then, exhaling deeply, she replied, slowly, carefully, now looking out over the stillness of the lake.

"It was our dream. Mine and Siinari's. I don't think she would have wanted me to give up on it, despite...it was my fault. I killed her as surely as that viridian did. If not for me, she'd never have come. So...I want it. Maybe more than before." Her eyes flitted briefly back to the younger girl's face a moment, harder, a ferocity in them that was a far cry from the sad, placid expression that had become commonly seen on her face. The expression was fleeting, before it softened again, and she said, more quietly, "I have to Impress, now. If not...I fail her in every way possible. And...I need this. It's all I have to hold on to. I won't say that it will change anything, or make what happened right in any way. Nothing can do that. There's no meaning in what happened. I know that. But..." Here another pause, and a deep, steadying breath, "but it will mean I went on to live our dream. I have to believe it counts for something." There were other reasons, she supposed. She really did still want to Impress. She didn't want to be alone. She needed a reason to keep fighting. Right now, her dragon--the dragon that might be, someday--was it.

Then it was Orissa's turn to speak again, and Kat listened. She nodded once more--that was a large possibility. Often dragonriders had a few children that were the products of flightlust. She was curious as to the tone in Orissa's voice...did she feel the man had wronged her in some way? By not knowing? She knew that it children born to riders in the Weyr went to the creche. But what about those that were born at Holds? Was their life harder for not having a father...? She merely replied honestly, "you may...but if he doesn't know, then I suppose it's hard to say." Twice in one day she was caught off guard by the girl. First by the query of whether it was still what she wanted, to Impress, and now a different kind of surprise--did she really not know? She was new, but...Kat assumed most people, especially fellow candidates, knew about what happened to her sister on the sands.

She swallowed back a knot in her throat, as she replied flatly, "one, now...the other...Siinari...I killed her." It was tinged with bitterness, and self loathing, that last. It startled even herself. She blinked, realizing how that must have sounded. She didn't want Orissa to take it literally. Yet she felt, in that moment, she deserved any judgment she got. No one could blame her more than she blamed herself. "She came here with me...because I convinced her to. She was killed on the sands at the last hatching. I was the one who told her we would Impress. We were Searched together when we came here. She wouldn't have come though--not if I hadn't promised her a better life here, and all that talk of dreams and becoming dragonriders..." There was bitterness in the words. She wasn't looking at Orissa, but sideways and at the ground. Let the other girl judge away, it was all true. It was her fault.
PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil