April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

A Kooky (Wo)Bath, AU:17 (Cat/Blot)
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 12 2017, 06:03 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Free time was rarely ever free time when one was a weyrling. A'dran did not have class for a couple candlemarks, but instead of taking a moment to just revel in the cool autumn air, he had his trouser legs rolled up and was knee deep in the lake. Why? Because his ever growing Brown needed a bath and oiling. He wasn't the most vocal when he was uncomfortable. Complaining wasn't in his nature. Sure, he was particular about how A'dran tended his hide, but only because he was a creature of habit. One did not go about oiling from tail tip to snout, if one did it the opposite way the day before. Which meant that he could not rely on Wobath to tell him if something was wrong. A'dran had to read into the signals his body felt as well as stick to a strict routine for his care.

He liked routine. Candidacy taught him that about himself. After so much uncertainty and upheaval in his life, it was nice to know exactly what he would be doing from day-to-day. If there was one thing about weyrlinghood that niggled at him, it was the expectation of building working relations with his classmates. He wasn't outgoing. Some days he wasn't even polite. But since arriving at Dalibor, he forced himself to at least try.

Trying was exhausting.

A flicker of cyan and copper flashed in his peripherals. His two flits, Wish and Wonder were flickering about, eventually choosing to land on Wobath. A'dran shook his head, unable to fight the smile creeping on his lips. The recently hatched queen was bossily assuming whichever perch she deemed the best as her fully-grown fairmate curled up between the Brown's wings.

"You're both gonna get wet if you stay there," A'dran quipped as he picked up a scrub brush. His pillie, Kadir, scuttled up the Brown's tail to sit half-way out of the water. The green always enjoyed bath time. He let out a sigh and started to wash Wobath, who was content to silently enjoy the attentions of His and His' slowly growing family of pets.

Neither noticed the arrival of one of their classmates.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 12 2017, 08:58 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Freetime was more elusive than a golden snyt. Classes took up most of their time, and then the time they were left with usually meant that they had to tend to their dragons. Not that Kidanyr minded. She had been looking forward to this ever since she was a wee little weyrbrat. She used to look forward to helping her mother wash Zabelith, spending more time splashing around in the water than actually washing. But now? Now it wasn’t as fun… Not that Kookath didn’t try to make it fun.

But bathing was important. As important as all her other dueties when it came to caring for the resplendant yellow at her side. So she didn’t mind. Plus it gave Quince and Quintin some time to splash around. Quince flew ahead of them, the brightly marked green honking, though the cool winds stole most of the power from her honks. And for once, the day was free of Kookath’s usual cackle. Mostly because he was singing. Kidanyr had decided to teach him some of the sea shanties she had heard while hanging about near the docks. For better or for worse.

Oh the times were hard an’ the wages low! He called, his mindvoice audible for those around.
“Leave her Johnni, leave her!” Kidanyr sang in turn. A bucket slunked against her leg as she walked, holding a few differing brushes and clothes.
An’ the tucker was bad an’ the gales did blow!
“And it’s time for us to leave her!” Kidanyr was no harper, but she didn’t sound too bad. Maybe a little warbly here and there. She wasn’t good at high notes, her voice too neutral for that.

Kookath didn’t continue the song though as he spotted someone.
Wobath! Good ta see ya mate! The yellow wasted no time in heading into the water with a splash, cackling a bit as he did. Kidanyr waved at A’dran with her free hand, a wry smile on her lips.
“Hello, hello, good to see you both.”

Quince made a point of circling Kidanyr, her eyes whirling as she honked threateningly. No silly queens or cyans were going to get near her human! Lifting a hand, Kidanyr waved her away, and she sulkily took a spot on Kookath’s expansive back. The pillies trundled into the lake water after Kida, content to bask in the water and maybe snag a fish or two to eat.

“Bathing Wobath?” She asked, though it was a rhetorical question. Kidanyr had eyes after all!

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 12 2017, 11:08 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

A'dran startled at the greeting. So consumed was he in his headspace that he hadn't noticed the pair's outrageous singing as they walked to the shoreline. Shoulders tensing, his head jerked to the side, grey eyes fixing on the newcomers. Pillies and a yellow splashed into the water, a girl following behind. Kidanyr and Kookath. The yellow was a hard dragon to forget after the scene he made with Koath at the hatching, narrating the whole event at the top of his voice. And he wasn't really ever that quiet during class. Where Wobath was quiet, the yellow was noisy. Faranth was he glad that Wobath was the one that chose him. He learned to go with the Brown's bizarre need to walk Path's and other peculiarities, but he would have gone insane if His was prone to constant chatter.

Then again, Dragon's were supposed to be like finding the other half of your soul. Compatibility was why the bond was made in the first place.

"Hello..." A'dran gave the girl a wary stare, his brow arching incredulously at her statement of the obvious. He bit back the urge to snip at her. They were supposed to be making friends with each other. Or something. "Yes...you as well?" His question was strained. He wasn't too good at this, but he did learn manners. When a little more prepared he could be polite and knew the basics of being amicable. But he knew next to nothing about the yellow pair and wasn't inclined towards chatter.

Wobath, however, had no qualms about greeting his clutchbrother. He offered a friendly hello to Kookath as he lifted his head from where it laid on the water's surface. The firelizards using him as perch were eyeing the hissy intruder, but remained where they perched. Wonder, for all her tininess, wouldn't stand for what was Hers being imposed upon. She would protect her fair and all those in her domain.

@Blot (not pretty, but brain being blah. lol)

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 14 2017, 10:27 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kidanyr liked to think she was pretty good with people. But her approach was always too familiar, and too cheery, so to some it was quite the plight. A’dran seemed to be one of those people. She threw an arm around Kookath’s neck hugging him close as she nodded.
“A’yup.” She responded excitedly. Truth be told, Kida didn’t even notice his response was strained. She wasn’t used to watching out for that. But she did note the silence as Kookath made his way into the watter. The yellow was having quite a time. He laughed and bowed his head to Wobath before mostly submerging himself in the lake.

Kida herself leaned over and started to roll the hem of her pants up.
“So, A’dran, how’s weyrlinghood been for you?” Kida herself knew she was having a blast. But there was no way she wouldn’t be having one. After all, Kidanyr had been looking forward to this moment for turns. The brownrider, on the other had, might be having a different experience.

Kookath took to circling behind his brother, trying his best to be sneaky. Though his super bright hide tended to curb that from happening. He was going to try and splash Wobath, though. And that became apparent as he turned and used that tail of his to slap the water. Even though he didn’t have an especiazlly thick tail, it still sent water cascading over them.
Gotcha mate came the cheeky reply. If he could have winked, he surely would have.

Kida herself had her arms over her head to try and keep the brunt of water from hitting her but she laughed.
“Kookath come on, we came to get you clean, not to tease your brother!” She waded into the water and motioned for the yellow to come closer. And Kookath complied, slithering through the water to get closer to his rider.
“Sorry ‘bout that. He’s been itching to try a prank all day.”

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 15 2017, 09:09 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"It's been well," A'dran continued to watch Kidanyr as she rolled up her pants, Kookath slipped into the lake. She was one of those peppy types. No wonder she Impressed a yellow. Too much happy. He blinked when Wobath nudged him, reminding the weyrling what he had been doing. Bath. Right. Suddenly, he was dripping wet and his flits were back in the air, chattering in protest. He whipped around to see Kookath behind Wobath, looking much too pleased with himself. As the yellow swam to His, A'dran blew wet locks out of his face. "I see…and why were we his chosen victims?"

Wobath of course chose now to chime in, We were both in the water. Easiest to surprise me. The brown gave his own tail a flick, sending a scatter of droplets at the yellowpair. I was not very surprised. But you did prank Mine sucessfully. There was approval in his tone. Traitor. The brown had few qualms with the yellow or his antics, as if all that time sharing a clutch with each other made him agreeable to any nonsense Kookath could think up.

A'dran huffed and went back to scrubbing. He was soaked. No need to be careful about getting wet anymore. His fair of two eventually settled, both choosing him as their roost. He probably looked ridiculous, dripping wet with a scowl on his face and with a flitter on his shoulder and another perched on his head.

"Yeah, well, I wasn't looking to be soaked through." It wasn't exactly warm out and he would need to oil Wobath before he could change his clothes. Of course, he wasn't mad, just a hint frustrated. People had a habit if making his life excessively difficult simply by existing. Especially if they were a fellow former Trader named Embry.

@Blot (my boyo can be a grump. Sorry not sorry.)

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 15 2017, 06:17 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kookath’s raucous laughter filled the air as Wobath spoke. His brother was smart! Kidanyr tsked softly. They were supposed to be making friends, and A’dran did not seem too pleased.
“I think it was because you were here.” She chimed in, though not all that helpful. She patted Kookath’s snout and glanced to A’dran.
“As an apology I can help you wash Wobath and oil him after. I’ve been doing this for turns so I’ve got pretty quick.”

The brush was pulled from her bucket and she started to work on scrubbing down the yellow who instantly calmed under the ministrations.
’S my fault, sorry ‘bout that. Figured it would just be a lil harmless fun. He wasn’t against apologizing for when a prank went wrong. He had really only meant it in fun, after all, they were already in the water.

“Don’t worry,” Kidanyr piped up.
“We’ll find a way to make it up to you.” That was… Somewhat ominous. Especially since he probably did not have the best impression of the yellow pair. Kida kept scrubbing Kookath, though, getting under his chin and making the yellow let out a low chirp. Kida smiled softly and continued to scrub lightly at the dragon’s smooth hide.

“I see you have copper flit! My ma had a copper. Her name was Satin, she was an empirical lil thing. Loved to make my Ma’s life difficult.” She laughed softly, fondly remembering Lyr and her fair.
“I’ve only got Quince there, though I want more flits in the future.” Hearing her name, the green alighted on Kookath’s head and honked, receiving a light scratch from Kida.
“What’s their names?” She asked, tilting her head a bit. Pets were always a good topic for Kida, especially since she had such experience with them.

@Catsitta
{Heh, it's fine. Kida is usually quite chipper.}

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 15 2017, 06:54 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"That isn't necessary," A'dran interjected when Kidanyr offered to help bathe and oil Wobath. The brown was paticular about how his routines. With his luck, the brown would insist he start over if the other weyrling scrubbed him at the wrong time or something. Though her adding that she'd make it up to him somehow was of utterly no comfort. Helpful people could be the worst! He swallowed a retort and continued to bath Wobath. Maybe if he said nothing and ignored her she would just go away and…nope. No luck.

Though she was talking about Wonder. He could talk about his pets. That was easier. Much easier. A'dran relaxed some, his shoulders losing the tension knotting between them. "Ah, the baby copper is Wonder. The grown cyan trying to climb down my shirt is Wish." A'dran said, using his free hand to gently pull Wish back onto his shoulder. Clingy creature. Wonder, of course, trilled upon hearing her name. She was queen of the roost and happy to make it obvious. Everything of Hers was hers as well. And when one of her subjects displeased her, it was up to A'dran to make it better. "Wonder here is one of Aura's." He figured most would know the queen flit whose clutch was loosed in the dining hall earlier in the season. "She can be…paticular."

He ran a hand over Wobath's hide, "Hope to get her a proper fair to lead one day."

A'dran coughed and tensed up, realizing how much he'd spoken. Wasn't he irked at Kookath?

@Blot (she found his weakness!)

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 15 2017, 11:19 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kida merely shrugged when her offer of help was declined. That was fine. For all she knew Wobath didn’t like to be touched by other people. She returned to scrubbing Kookath, letting him speak. See, pets were always a good subject.
“Wonder eh? What a beautiful name. She’s pretty, and I’m guessing she’s as much of a handful as coppers tend to be.” She laughed softly. She knew what it was like to have firelizards that were a handful. She had Quince after all, the green tended to get in fights often.
“Wish and Wonder, a pair of lovely ladies. I’m sure you’ll end up with a fine fair for her.” She nodded a bit.

“I’d offer to let you know if Quince ever clutches but uh… She’s kind of loud.” She wrinkled her nose a bit.
“I fear anything she lays will be just as annoying as she is.” Not that Kidanyr minded. Quince’s honking had grown on her.
“I think I like pillies a bit more than firelizards in the end though. I’m biased though. Quintin, the gray one over there has been with me since I was a weyrbrat.” She cast a fond glance to the gray who waved an antennae her way.
“Careful with the green though. She tends to ah… Get attached to folks quick.” She figured she might as well warn him.

Thankfully Quinzel and Quince were focused on chasing after small fish in the water.
Falls in love is what she does. Kida merely rolled her eyes. She had argued with this Kookath. Pillies didn’t fall in love.

@Catsitta {Ha, it's Kida's soft spot too.}

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 11:21 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"Ah, thanks?" A'dran mumbled, pointedly not looking at Kida. Wobath extended a wing. Right, those were next. The weyrling would be in this lake for a good while given how big the brown was already. He couldn't imagine doing this when he was fully grown! No wonder riders often recruited candidates into helping if Theirs would tolerate others touching them. "She...she can be, but that's fine..." At the offer to be told about the green's clutch should she have one, he paused. Offspring often did reflect the parent. Would he want a flit that spent its time making ridiculous noises? He tried saying no, but a larger part of him just preened at the idea of a chatty little fighter flit. A'dran didn't mind the controlled chaos that were his pets. It was rare for one to be consciously malicious and so he found it hard to hate them. They were innocent little creatures.

His gaze trailed away from Wobath at the mention of pillies. She had a grey and a green.

"Kadir is my first pet," he said, motioning to the pillie still perched on Wobath's tail. "She's my little protector." The green wasn't especially brave but she could fake courage with the best of them. Almost as clingy of Wish, she rarely left A'dran's person until she was too big to fit on his shoulder. With age she calmed, enjoying the pan of water he kept under his bed for her to rest in while he was away.

Falls in love? asked the brown. He was curious exactly how a pillie 'fell in love' and how one could tell if they did. Kadir didn't display a wide array of telling signs that he understood, unlike the firelizards. But maybe Kookath knew something he didn't.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 20 2017, 02:23 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kida couldn’t help but crack a smile at that.
“I bet she is super brave. I’ve seen all kinds of greens, and they’re never quite the same. It’s impressive. Firelizards, pillies, you gotta wonder just how smart they really are. But then again, I’ve seen Quince try to eat a hunk of meat almost as big as she was when she was a lil’un. Not the brightest.” Kida laughed softly. Quince, upon hearing her name, let out a honk and took wing.

The green firelizard spiralled around them before landing on Kidanyr’s shoulder and affectionately nibbling at her ear.
“Let’s see. Quintin is the gray, she’s been with me since I was like, four turns old? Maybe a smidge older? I don’t quite remember. But she’s been my constant companion. Almost like a second mom, in a weird buggy sort of way.” Kidanyr seemed like the type who would call a bug ‘Mom’. There was just something weird about the girl.

You know Wobath, in love. It’s a gent’s intuition. Even you gotta know when a lady’s got her eye on somethin’. If the yellow had eyebrows they would be waggling. There was mirth swirling in his eyes, though, likely another playful joke.
Someday you’ll find a lady who swoons after you like Quinzel swwons over… Well everything!

The yellow arched his neck a bit as Kida took to scrubbing under it, carefully paying attention to any folds and wrinkles on the yellow’s form.
“Oh shoosh Kookath, like you know anything about the ladies. Have you even talked to any of them?” Kookath balked with faux shock.
Strewth Kida that’s harsh. Have you seen the ladies around here? Most are scarier than threadfall!

She glanced at A’dran and smiled. Though he seemed fairly prickly, he wasn’t a bad guy. And he at least had put up with Kookath’s jokes so far.
“Wobath seems far more sensible. Though I guess he’s uh, set in his ways, no?” She asked, remembering how he seemed adament on going a certain way back at the hatching.

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 20 2017, 09:12 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

A'dran made a noncommittal noise. His green wasn't brave as much as she had bravado. She tried to act big and tough, but unless the threat was terrified of bugs or was a fish, she wasn't much of a danger. But he could empathize with Kida's thoughts on the grey being like a second mother. Kadir was his first pet, and as such, his first devoted companion. He was greatly attached to her for that reason. And after she chose him, A'dran found his inkling to get a pet became a strong desire to surround himself in them. He wanted to fill the hollowness in his life with unconditional affection. He struggled to get along with people, but animals were different. He could be vulnerable around them and they never took advantage. Their needing him, relying on him, amplified the nurturing side of his spirit. When he bonded Wish, that want to care for something small became realized, because she needed him even more than Kadir. So much so that she didn't even fly until she was simply too big to stay on him all the time. There was a reason he planned on attending as many hatchings as he could in the future.

Wobath decided to speak in A'dran's silence, Wonder sometimes makes awful noises when she wants something. It wasn't swooning, but he did recognize the copper's attempts to get her way. But being loud isn't what you mean, is it? A'dran pursed his lips at the brown's words. He tried not to be too flustered. Coppers were known for their bratty behavior. It was how Queens were. Even in the Wild, they were demanding, wanting their fairmates to provide them the very best of everything, and quibbling with them when they didn't get it. Bonded Queens simply had a human companion to pester into meeting their whims. And he was, unfortunately, inclined to spoil her.

Clearing his throat, A'dran nodded.

"Wobath has his patterns and Paths. I've learned to not fight it." And as a result, was late to class until he sorted the whole situation out. Nothing taught patience better than going through the same, plodding route every morning, and rescuing innocent bystanders that stepped into the dragonet's path. "I see that Kookath never stopped talking."

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Sep 23 2017, 09:32 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kidanyr laughed softly, not at A’dran’s plight with Wonder, but because she knew how it was. For Kida, animals were just a way of life. She had first impressed Quintin when she needed someone to watch out for her, when she was young and needing guidance. Since then, she just never stopped impressing. Quince had needed her, and had been unloved by her mother. Quinzel? Well she didn’t have the love she wanted returned. Now Kida made sure to shower the three in affection, and would likely seek out more.

“Coppers are like that, Wobath. And they never grow out of it. Satin, my mother’s, was a ladylike creature but she would still wail if not given exactly what she wanted when she wanted it.”
Not what I was thinkin’ mate. But close. Sometimes a lady’s love isn’t for a gent, but for somethin’ else. Kida just rolled her eyes a bit. Kookath wouldn’t know what to do with ‘The ladies’ if he had the chance to. She was already dreading when he took to chasing, and that was at least a turn away.

“Paths are good and fine. Always good to know where you’re going, how to do what you got to do, and such.” She liked Wobath, he was odd but in a sensible way.
“The day Kookath stops talking is the day the cold of between takes us, I’m sure of it. Well that or he’s sleeping. I’ve yet to hear him talk in his sleep.” And she was thankful for that. As much as she loved Kookath, even Kidanyr heeded quiet every now and then.

“So, you excited for flying? I’ve been on dragonback a few times, but I’m still a little nervous. Never had to do it myself, you know? It’s an excited kind of nervous though.” She lied. It wasn’t an excited kind of nervous. Just your average everyday kind of nervous. But Kidanyr wouldn’t say that. She never gave people reason to worry for her. She didn’t need that.

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Sep 24 2017, 03:20 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

I see... Wobath craned his neck to look at the copper perched on His' head. She had calmed down after her initial noise of protest when Kookath played his game. The copper made her affection for A'dran evident and was becoming fiercely protective of anything that she associated with him. That included Wobath, Wish and Kadir, as well as their room in the barracks. Everything that was his was hers. And yet, through all the demands, she seemed to be genuine in her adoration, often finding reasons to be near Hers. She also was far more helpful than Wish in certain aspects. She was too small to be a useful delivering messages or packages, but she would flit around the room and fetch small objects for him when asked. But like any of her color, if she wanted food and oiling, she would get it, when she wanted it, and expected A'dran to do so without any hints as to what it was she required.

All the brown could assume from these observations was this: females were strange.

Does Yours shriek when she wants a bath or food? A'dran snorted at Wobath's query.

"She isn't a firelizard."

I've seen human females shriek.

"Yeah, when you almost walked on them..."

There was also that one chasing after the children with a broom. She was loud, too. And she wanted food.

"She was pissed that the 'brats stole from the kitchens."

The brown hummed and looked to Kookath for confirmation. His brother said he knew more about the ladies. Maybe he had the answer to solve all of this. But he was pretty sure that human females were like firelizards, and possibly even dragons. He never heard a female dragon make an awful racket to get what she wanted, but if his theory was right, some did.

A'dran was less interested in the yellow's reply as he was in Kida's next question. He stared at Wobath's hide as he answered, not a hint of hesitation or worry, "Yes. That's the whole point of being a rider. Flying." And once he could fly and go between, the world became far smaller. He could at last look for his sister. He could finally make good on that promise he made himself when he allowed himself to be Searched.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 2 2017, 07:01 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

The protectiveness of the Copper queen made Kida smile. It was something she missed. Satin had always considered her ‘Hers’ as well and had been as protective as Wonder was. But then again, she had that now with quince. The green had landed on her shoulder and had taken to wrapping herself around her like a rich lady’s scarf. An angry, honking scarf. Wobath’s question earned a hearty round of rapid-fire laughter from his brother. The yellow seemed actually speechless, his wings slapping against his sides some as he stomped in the water sending up splashes.

You know it mate! If Kookath could have cried, there would be tears in his eye from laughing so hard. As it was he was still slapping his sides with his wings. Kida herself just threw herself against his side to keep him from knocking her over into the water, though she was plenty wet already. She rolled her eyes a bit and thunked him on the side with her fist.
“I do not! Well. Ok. Depends on how hungry I am, I’ve forgotten to eat for a day and when it finally hit me, I guess you could say I screeched.”

The Yellow looked at her with whirling eyes, his sides still heaving with mirth.
You shrieked when I tried to fly. He said calmly. Kida sighed.
“Well yea, you were nowhere near ready. You foolish thing.”
Anyways mate, I don’t think they shriek when hungry or want to be bathed. Humans are self sufficient, you know? If they can’t do it themselves, they find a pairbond who can. He said with a smart tone. Like he knew at all. The most Kookath knew about ladies was joking around with his sisters.

Kidanyr noticed the way he spoke and tilted her head a bit, mimicking her dragon unintentionally.
“Is it? I thought that was fighting thread.” Kidanyr was… Measurably excited for flight. There was always that thin thread of fear that they might do badly. But the idea of flying with Kookath was exciting, to say the least.

“I can’t wait, honestly. To watch them in their natural habitat will be… Beautiful I think.

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 4 2017, 04:58 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

Wobath fell into contemplative silence. He would think about Kookath's declarations. Humans were self-sufficient, but so were firelizards. He knew that both Wish and Wonder could take care of themselves in every way, yet remained glued to A'dran's side as if they were helpless without him. Wonder make noises to get what she wanted, while Wish protested when things didn't go her way. Neither were excessively noisy...usually. Except in those instance that he mentioned.

He would observe before making any final conclusions about the similiarity or lack thereof between females across the species.

"Hafta fly first," A'dran said. His thoughts drifted to Threadfighting. She was right that dragons were the primary front against the silver death. And he would serve in the wings as was expected of a rider. He just...had other plans to attend to as well. Under his breath he added, "...not sure how that is going to go with this one." Wobath just seemed so...land bound. Broad of build and wide of head, his wings tucked at his rounded sides, the brown lumbered awkwardly about the weyr. True, grace may come from actually getting in the air, his natural element, but it was hard to imagine the bulky dragon cutting through the sky.

Wobath grumbled and began moving, stepping onto the shore. Cleanliness needs satisfied, it was time for the long and rather messy process of oiling. A'dran joined the brown, spying Kadir scuttling down the dragon's tail until she disappeared into the lake. The green pillie wasn't done basking in the water.

'Moments like these, I'm glad you're not vain.'

It was common for prideful kings and queens to want their hides gleaming at all times, wanting daily oilings far beyond their time needing them. Then again, who ever heard of a shiny brown?

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 12:41 AM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kookath wunk into the water again until only the top of his head was visible, looking like some great water-bound lizard on the prowl. His tail lashed behind him, kicking up little waves of water that lapped at Kida’s legs. Kida could easily see Kookath in the air. The yellow looked like he was built for it. All sleekness and angles. She doubted she’d have a hard time getting him up there. It was getting him back down that worried her.

“Yup, we have to fly first.” She nodded and looked over Wobath. The brown seemed much more… Sedate. Where she could see Kookath in the air no problem. But Wobath? Well. She had a hard time seeing how his constant path-seeking could work in the skies. Especially when it came to flying thread. There was no path in the silver rain. There was only death and gflames. She bit the inside of her cheek though, rather than say any of this out loud. A’dran probably didn’t want to hear it. He seemed… Closed off. But Kidanyr was going to keep nudging him anyways. She was determined to be his friend.

Kookath seemed to be enjoying being the only one in the lake. He spread his wings out and floated, surprisingly serene. For once, he wasn’t laughing or talking. Just floating.
You almost done? She asked, prodding the yellow lightly. He just slapped his tail lightly against the water in response. Well fine. Kida waded out of the water and sat on the bank, breathing out softly. Quince came to join her, landing on her knee and perching there like a little sentinel.

“So A’dran. What do you do in your free time?”

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 03:17 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

A'dran drug a bucket of oil to his feet and started the long task that awaited. Every pass of the brush had to be done just so or the brown would insist that he hadn't done it right. Perhaps when he was older, he would relent on how particular he was about his oilings, but for now, no such luck. If he wanted to leave the lake, he must do this the right way. It wasn't too much longer before Kookath and Kida joined them on the shore. Apparently they were doing this chore together in its entirety, and he was the only one displeased with the affair. Wobath liked Kookath. Sure, his brother's hyperactive enthusiasm earned a few headshakes from the brown, but he enjoyed his company.

"Does it matter?" A'dran groused, dipping his brush a little too forcefully into the bucket. He withdrew his hand and found it covered in the goop. Whatever. It was easier to do this with his hands anyway. He could work the oil into the dips of muscles and joints. "Not like there is any time for it." A touch of an exaggeration. They did have free time. He was just inclined to spending it quietly resting, sitting in some shaded place to observe the others in the weyr. He could spend candlemarks just people watching. And his pets made sure he was never bored. Wish and Wonder both demanded his attention, and would probably continue to do so until they had a bigger fair. Hard to encourage independence in a social creature when you're the primary form of companionship.

Then again, he didn't mind their clinginess.

It was nice to feel wanted.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 07:44 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Kookath looked over to his brother as he got oiled and decided it was time for him to be oiled as well. The yellow pulled himself out of the water with a great sigh and Kida looked up to him with a soft laugh.
“You look like a soggy mess.”One wing lashed out and sprayed Kida with droplets of water, leaving the girl sputtering and wiping at her face.
“Oh you jerk!” Hands went to wipe water from her fast as the yellow smugly moved over to sit near Wobath.
Be sure to make me shine, Kida dearest. came the sassy little reply. She grabbed a bucket of her own and made her way over, getting to work at oiling the bright hide of her partner.

“Eh, well at least it’s not as bad as when they were littler. We barely got time to sleep. It was always feed them, bathe them, oil them, repeat. Now we get more time between the constant grind.” Surely, Kida thought, there was something that made A’dran happy. He seemed so grumpy, and it was kind of a downer. Kida was determined to help fix that. He seemed like he needed a friend, and Kida was a friend to all.

Hands smoothed over leathery hide, working oil in that way. She prefered it this way. It felt more hands on, even if it was messy.
“Did you have a craft before this?” She asked, keeping up the small talk.
“I had always wanted to take up a craft, but I could never decide what I wanted to do. So I sort of just became good at a lot of little tasks but never really mastered any.”

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 8 2017, 10:52 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

They did have more time now that the dragonets were half grown. Those first few months were exhausting trials in tedium. If nothing else could teach a man patience, raising a hatchling with deep set habits would do so, A'dran was constantly late to class until he learned Wobath's Path and timed his schedule around it appropriately. He hoped--prayed even--that when they moved into weyrs, that some of that 'walking' would desist. It was dangerous for a full grown brown with now spacial awareness to speak of, to go plodding around the bowl. He walked into people when he was smaller. A grown Wobath would hurt or even kill someone if he blithely trod upon the ignorant passerby.

A'dran patted Wobath's flank, and the brown laid down, making it easier for the teen to scale the subking to oil between his wings. For all his quirks, Wobath was...simple to understand. He wasn't loud or demanding. He didn't rush into things blindly. He could be insufferably stubborn, but he listened and watched before taking his stance. He didn't fight with His. He just...lived his life and A'dran was along for the ride. Strange how little he minded.

Both hands at work to oil the brown's back, brow slanted into a deep furrow, the weyrling was too physically occupied to look back at Kida. He was tempted to ignore her question. But he found himself replying anyway, "No. But I know how to sell you a pair of boots you didn't know you needed." Had his mother's secret never been spilled, he might have gone into smithcraft like his grandfather. Might have even made Journeyman in a Turn or two. But instead, he spent those early teen years in a trader's caravan, being taught the ways of the sale. Not exactly what someone of his disposition was meant to do, given his short temper led to him scaring off clients when they annoyed him. But he learned a lot about watching people, reading their ticks and mannerisms. And was perfectly aware of how to be a charming individual. He just didn't see the need to act that way unless faced with authority figures. The candidatemaster, weyrlingmaster and riders generally encountered a rather polite, though standoffish young man...who could be rather morbid or bitter if engaged in casual chatter too long. His peers...well, he was far less likely to hold back his opinions. Though ever since he bonded Wobath, A'dran had to admit, he was calmer and less inclined to lash out. The brown's presence in his mind was steadying and a constant reminder that there was something vulnerable he needed to protect from extremes in emotion.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 08:37 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Oil was smoothed over bright yellow and Kida took the time to admire Kookath’s markings. He really was a pretty dragon. She was sure he would be even more beautiful once he was flying. She followed the lines and dots of varying huse on his hide, vigorously applying oil with a serious determination usually left for problem solving. She was bent on making sure Kookath was covered.

A’dran’s reply surprised her a bit. She would have never in a hundren turns imagined he was a trader. Her brows rose a bit as she looked him over.
“I see. I would have never pegged you for a trader. Good work, though. I bet you got to see all kinds of places.” That was one thing Kidanyr was excited for. Travel. She wanted to travel, she wanted to see Pern. She didn’t remember much about her life before arriving at Dalibor as a toddler. But she wanted to see it all. Kookath enabled that. And she would get to save people while doing it.

“I’m envious,” she said as she painted oil over Kookath’s hide with one hand, while rubbing it in with the other.
“I arrived at Dalibor when I was very little. So I don’t really remember what life was like before. I’ve always wanted to travel and see all that Pern has to offer us. So I’m hoping I’ll get to do that once Kookath learns to fly.” She sighed wistfully.
Soon we’ll get to see it all. We’ll be sky high, up, up, and awaaaaay. Kida flashed Kookath a small smile.
“Yup. Like Whersports, we’ll be the biggest, brightest things out there.”

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 09:00 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"That's because I'm not Trader born," A'dran replied. He didn't even need to look at Kida to note her surprise. He could hear it in her voice. "Nor was I ever especially interested in pretending I am. As far as travel...there was that..." He saw much of the Continents in his time with the Traders. After growing up at Tillek Hold, where neither the land nor the people were especially hospitable, experiencing the various sites Pern had to offer was something he could appreciate. Though his focus was entirely on finding his sister, when it wasn't on bemoaning his unfortunate situation. A'dran wondered what his mother would think if he ever saw her again. Her son wandered off to go sneaking around the weyr when the Traders stopped for the evening, and never came back. If he returned to her on dragonback, no doubt she would have something to say.

Strange. He'd barely thought of his mother since he was Searched. Not that they had a very close bond after he found out the truth about his parentage.

"...It will be easier to see the world now."

Easier to find what was lost.

He continued to oil Wobath, thoughts wandering. Reminded that it had been a while since she got a proper pampering, Wonder fluttered down to Wobath's back and made a few chirping noises. Her chatter would become more persistent if he didn't spare her some attention. Wish remained where she sat, content to be the only flit perched on her human.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 10:27 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

“Oh, I see.” Kidanyr wasn’t sure what to say. She knew most traders were born traders, and it spoke a lot that he didn’t even pretend to be one. What had trade life been for him, she wondered. Was it a pleasent memory? Or a bad one? Kida just really couldn’t get a bead on A’dran. He was so standoffish, it was hard for her to understand. Why was he like this? Really, it wasn’t her place to ask. They were nothing to each other, not friends, barely acquaintances. But Kida was determined to change that somehow.

“You seem to like the idea of travelling,” she said, noting the way he seemed almost wistful about it.
“Is there someplace you want to go?” She didn’t know the minefield she was stepping in. Kookath let out a low croon as her oiling took her to his wings, and she lightly traced her fingers over the thin membrane. Soon, she thought. Soon they would be flying. Flight was what all dragonriders aspired to, she guessed. Without it, how would they protect Pern? But for some, it was more important than others.

“Is there someplace specific you want to see?” She asked, somewhat curious.
“I’ve always wanted to go to Southern, just to see the differences there, eat different foods, things like that.” In truth, she couldn’t wait until she could visit her mother. Lyr had transfered quite a while, and it had shocked her when Kidanyr decided not to go along with her. It had shocked Kida too. But Dalibor was her home. It was where she belonged.

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 13 2017, 11:05 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

"No," A'dran grunted, his fingers working oil along Wobath's wing joints. "I don't care about that." Her questions were making his thoughts travel to uncomfortable places. He had months left to weyrlinghood. It would be almost winter again before he could go properly Search for his sister. And even then, he was aware that she might never be found. High Reaches would be a good starting place. If it showed promise, he might even transfer up there to make it easier to look. Even if he found nothing, at least he could make good on his promise to try to find her. A'dran refused to break this personal oath.

However, Wobath wasn't as secretive as His. He was quiet. He listened well. And displayed a startlingly clear insight when it came to choosing when to speak and when to remain mute in debates. Mine looks for someone lost. Places do not matter much until he finds her. A'dran made an agitated noise. He sincerely wished that Wobath disliked talking to other humans in that very moment. He scowled at the brown's back, but he was more embarrassed than upset with his dragon, 'That wasn't for you to share, Wobath.'

'It is easier to find something if you have many eyes looking for it.'

'I am not asking her for help.'

'Why not?' Wobath stretched his wings, the unadorned sails gleaming damply.

The weyrling shook his head and continued to oil, fully aware that Kida was unlikely to drop the subject that his brown raised into the light.

@Blot

PMEmail
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 11:32 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Oh. Oh. She had no clue what she was walking into when she asked that question. At first it didn’t seem like much. A’dran was... Well he was A’dran. She was starting to get used to his non-answers. And as frustrating as it was, she couldn’t say anything about it. She wasn’t that kind of person. She was supposed to be easy going, willing to sacrifice herself for others. Kidanyr did not get angry at people. So when he responded, she quickly buried her frustrations beneath another smile.
“I see.” She wasn’t going to poke. She wasn’t going to prod. She would restrain herself.

Oh. Turns out she didn’t have to. Wobath’s voice invaded her mind and left her blinking. Looking for someone? Well… That was the kind of thing she could help with! Instantly Kookath put the kibosh on her excitement.
Approach it calmly Kida, he ain’t big on you’re questionin’ and proddin’. Play it cool. Oh. Yes, play it cool. Kidanyr could do that! Kida could certainly do that!

“Would you like if I kept an eye out for this someone? I won’t pry, but I figure it would not hurt to have an extra pair of eyes on the lookout.” She tried to say it as calmly as she could. Though inside she was thrumming with excitement. Yes! This was exactly the thing she loved to do! She loved to help people, make them feel better. All of it! Kookath affectionately bumped his head against her, his long elegant neck bending so he could face her eye to eye.
There we go. Sometimes we gotta reign it is, eh Kida? He was right. Who knew she impressed such a smart dragon?

@Catsitta

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Oct 16 2017, 12:07 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
170 Marks

It was good that Kida kept her excitement contained. Otherwise, she might have found herself face-to-face with A'dran's notorious temper. Her calm offer of assistance earned her a glare. He was a guarded individual and this was his mission. His secret. 'She could help.' Wobath repeated. He received no answer. The weyrling slid off the brown's back, fetching another pail of oil. His thinning tolerance made his reply sharp, "How about you--"

'Mine, mind your words.'

His teeth audibly clacked together. Grey eyes darted between the yellowpair and his dragon. He was not happy. 'You were the one who told her.'

'It needed saying.'

'She will make things worse.'

'No. That would be you.'

A'dran stiffened, then visibly slumped, as if the wind was kicked out of him, "Even if I told you, you wouldn't know what you're looking for." He wasn't sure if he'd recognize the girl if he saw her again. He just hoped that she was alive and that her face would spark with familiarity. She was nine turns old by now. No longer a toddling child. 'Then show her.' He blinked at the brown. Right. They could relay images through the mental link that all dragons possessed. But...

He went back to oiling Wobath, who was content to let His work through the conflicting emotions within him.

@Blot

PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr