April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

First Impressions, WI:17 {Ruri/Rii}
Ruriko
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 10:46 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks
Member Inventory: View

@Rii

'Was this what we envisioned when we spent all those nights awake, talking about what it might be like to Impress? Would you be proud of me, or would you look at her the same way I see so many others doing? She was so newly hatched, but she did such terrible things. I want to believe that it was only because she was new and that's what some dragonets do, but I don't. I really don't. She delights in pain, and causing it to others. I don't even know if she likes me, let alone loves me. Somehow I feel she needs me...and maybe that's all that keeps me going. That, and I love her. I didn't expect this. It isn't what I pictured at all. Yet when everyone said you love your partner, no matter what...they were right. Does that make me a bad person? To love her despite the fact I know she seeks to cause pain to others? That she can be so cruel and malicious? What does that say about me, Siin? I wish you were here...'

Akashath slept on the flat, warm rock beside the lake. Rukbat was at its highest point in the sky overhead. Many dragons came to enjoy the warmest part of the day, soaking up the sun's rays. So many days ahead would be bitterly cold, yet it was the beginning of winter and today only a light powder dusted the weyrbowl. She had brushed the soft white stuff away easily off of the surface of the rock, clearing it off for the red dragonet to sun in. The only time Kat found any kind of peace was while her dragonet slept. The rest of the time, she was battling for control, and keeping Akashath in check. Keeping her from doing the horrible, nasty things she wanted to do to those she saw. Kat had seen her toying with a trundlebug, ripping off its legs one by one, utterly fascinated and then questioning if it felt any pain. Kat had squished it, feeling guilt for killing it, but worried that it indeed did feel pain, even if it was an insect and she truly didn't know. Aka had been furious with her,
attempting to swipe her and narrowly missing doing so. She had then even snapped at her leg, but Kat again managed to pull it away in time. The red was capable of throwing a horrid temper tantrum--or what Kat perceived as one, but knew it was simply the dragonet lashing out in her displeasure. She didn't like when the pain she caused was ended or interfered with. What had happened on the sands to that poor Healer, Ivy, was evidence enough of that.

She wasn't sure how on Pern she was going to keep Akashath in control. She only knew she had to, or she risked losing her. The dragonet was so unpredictable and volatile, that she would simply fancy harming one person or another based on random things, and then attempt to act upon it. She would, too, if Kat wasn't right on top of her, stopping it happening. None of the other weyrlings had to deal with their dragonets being like Akashath. She had seen the love and ease with which they conferred and interacted with their partners, and she tried hard not to envy them, but she did. What had she ever done to deserve the kind of life that had been laid before her? Siin, of course, was worse off. She was dead, and had never Impressed. Her thoughts were so conflicted, and she'd no allowance to think them when her partner was awake, for fear of hurting the red--who seemed to care for her feelings not at all. What was she supposed to make of it all? What would Siin have suggested she do? Or Krystin, who didn't even know she'd Impressed, because she'd never told her? She hadn't told her parents either, of course. They'd only be more upset with her for it, she was sure. Siin had been their favorite, that much they'd always made painfully clear.

Her firelizards knew someone was approaching and alerted her. Navi by chirruping loudly, Sin quietly, turning his head to look in the direction of her fellow weyrling. She thought of simply not looking, and allowing whomever it was to pass. She got a fairly clear image from Navi and Sin combined. She recognized him--the young man who'd Impressed one of the two whites--and impulsively did turn to see where he and his dragonet would head off to. Aka stirred, and she felt her heart drop a little--both in guilt because she ought to have been happy her dragonet was awake, not dreading what trouble she'd cause--in concern.

PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: Nov 4 2017, 06:56 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

Sometimes, it didn't feel like the reality had sunk in yet. Impressed. He'd Impressed. He wasn't a candidate anymore. There was another mind bonded to his, and it was... well... more than he'd ever dreamed of. To be honest, he'd worried that in spite of having been Searched, he would never Impress with a mind full of every firelizard beknownst to the Weyr.

I would have found you, even if every single firelizard on the island was there that night. And I would have brought you home.

Where is home?

Here, Ioth answered, softly vocalizing a few chiming notes. With me.

Stopping in his tracks, T'tallon crouched down for a moment, resting his hand on the white's small wedge of a head. "As long as I'm with you, I'm okay." Although the minute during Impression when Ioth had telepathically blanked out everyone and everything around them from his bonded's head had not been repeated thus far, the young man knew it had happened - knew it was real - and thus, knew it was repeatable. It was something they could do again, if the need was really there.

He knew the moment he'd come in range of someone's firelizards, because the double-sent image overlaid his sense of everything he could see around him, making his vision fragment. He paused and blinked, giving a little headshake to chase away the two almost-the-same images of himself from the outside, and looked around to see where it had come from.

Ah. Aha. One of his fellow weyrlings; the one who'd Impressed the red that had clawed him up. Hesitating a moment, he changed his path, going to see her instead. "Hello," he offered shyly, oh, what was her name again? Ioth filled it in silently. "Kataya." Another uncertain pause. "There is trouble in your face. Is something wrong?"

@Ruriko

PMAIM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Nov 5 2017, 11:09 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Rii

When the whiteweyrling looked her way, she fully expected him to simply keep on going once recognition set in. Sure enough, there it was. The hesitation she expected was there. Then came the recollection: he was one of those who'd gotten mauled by her dragon. That doubly raised her expectations that he would continue on his way, if not make a point to give her a wide berth. She blamed him not one bit. If it was her, what would she have done? She wasn't sure, considering that it had not just been a wayward, accidental or blameless mauling. Akashath had quite purposely mauled him, and the others. She knew what she was doing. Would it be enough if she ever had the chance to apologize?

Just when she thought she could no longer be surprised with what life threw at her, he did the unexpected. He did not walk on, or away. He looked like he was purposely changing the direction he'd been headed in, and heading straight for them. Them. Herself, and the red dragon she had Impressed, that so far everyone seemed only to react in fear--or even looks of pity--in regards to. She felt a rising panic, wanting to tell him to not come this way. To go on with his beautiful little white, and that she was grateful he even considered coming over, but that it was not worth the risk to himself or the little white who, so far as she could tell, was the furthest thing from her own dragonet. Only she opened her mouth to let the words out, and then he was there, standing in front of her. Maybe he wanted to have words with her? Maybe he was displeased with the fact Aka had targeted him. She swallowed nervously, mind forming a very sincere apology, but then he spoke.

He was...asking if something was wrong? It was a question in her mind, because it took her so aback, she could hardly believe that he'd actually spoken the words at all. Since her Impression, no one had congratulated her. No one had seemed happy for her Impression, save that it meant the red would hopefully be under her control, and that it couldn't harm anyone else if it was. Pity. Fear. Maybe even anger or dislike. That was all she'd been able to see when she'd looked into the faces of others. Mind, this was likely full of bias. She saw this, because that's what she was expecting to see. The girl who was usually such a good judge of character, and read people very well--always looking for the good coloring it, perhaps, but nonetheless she saw the good when it was there--saw only negative emotions in the faces of people she looked at. She missed anything else entirely.

She was stunned, and his question brought rise to all the conflicted feelings so powerfully, that she shocked herself further by the hot tears that began to flow freely, streaking her cheeks. They were hot only a moment, before the chill in the air turned them cold. Akashath slept on, having only stirred. It was likely for the best, in that moment. She opened her mouth to speak, but all that came out was a choked sob. She hadn't cried in quite some time. Not after those first few sevendays after Siin had died, when she'd cried so much, she'd thought she never would again. Then she'd been numb, and simply trying to take one day at a time. Yet this was all new, and refreshed the old pain, along with adding the new. She managed to only shake her head. Something was wrong. Everything was wrong. Siin was dead. Her parents weren't speaking to her. Her sister wasn't really either. She couldn't even bring herself to tell her own sister or family she'd Impressed. She'd Impressed to a dragonet that she was in equal parts afraid to lose and afraid would hurt someone else. And so, when she did manage to get a word out, trying to not cry because she did not want to trouble the young man and his partner, it was just that sentiment,

"Everything...everything..." She felt so weak in that moment. She had tried being too strong for far too long now. She'd carried all this weight on her own, and it was simply too much, in this moment, to bear.
PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 08:02 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

To be fair, T'tallon hesitated before engaging a lot of people. It was hard to put names to faces, and when you were a harper, people expected Faranth-given skills of recall. Which he had - he rarely forgot faces or voices, lessons or songs - but somehow, names just seemed to slip through his mental fingers to vanish for all time between. It was a little embarrassing.

She looked so... surprised? No, alarmed, that he chose to go speak with her. That wasn't right at all. Flitting his hands softly, he rocked from heel to toe and back in a slow, gentle motion, waiting to see what she said.

And then the tears started.

T'tallon looked openly dismayed; whatever he'd expected, it wasn't for her to start crying. And he wasn't entirely sure how to make it better. Or even if it was possible to make it better. Yes, yes, in addition to not forgetting names, he was supposed to be socially adept at all sorts of situations but he was still an apprentice, alright, and avoiding people who probably thought poorly of him had been the norm for him rather than the exception.

Maybe they had that in common.

He reached out, awkwardly patting her shoulder. His brows drew together, head tilting to the side. "The hardest troubles, are the ones we think are too different to share," he offered finally. "The ones that have worn every spot on the skin of our spirits raw." He dusted the snow off of a rock near Akashath's, and half-leaned, half-sat against its edge. "Is it Akashath? Or is it that and something more?"

That the red contributed to this 'everything', he didn't really have any doubt. Impression was the greatest blessing of his life, but being a weyrling was demanding enough when your dragon was small and gentle and helpful. It had to be especially trying with a less pliable mindmate.

@Ruriko

PMAIM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Feb 7 2018, 05:59 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

582 Posts
60 Marks

@Rii

She hadn't meant to start crying. Yet once the floodgates were finally open, there was no swift closing of them. It was the product of someone who had tried to be too strong for too long. It could not be held back indefinitely. She didn't, fortunately, see the dismay on the whiteweyrling's face. If she had, she might have felt far more embarrassed, and sorry for troubling him. Her vision was blurred by tears. What she did notice was the hand on her shoulder, offering comfort that no one else had. Not her family, certainly. If anything, people had avoided her more since Sin's death, and then it would seem entirely, following her Impression to Akashath. Even the simple consolatory touch of hand to shoulder made the emotions pour forth all the stronger. Made her grateful beyond words.

When he spoke, she heard. Her mind took in the words, absorbed them, and clung to them as though they were her only port in this storm of raging emotions she could not control at this moment. There was something poetic about them...and oh so true. She was worn raw. So much so, with the wounds constantly being abraded by the way people reacted to her, and Akashath's continual unpredictable and volatile behavior. It was nearly abusive, the way the red spoke to and treated her rider. If only Kat could be sure the dragonet was not really and truly trying to hurt her--both physically, but mostly mentally and emotionally. The way the red reveled in the pain she caused was downright disturbing. Kat did not know how to battle that. How to temper it, like a Smith might temper stubborn steel that would not yield to the hammer or anvil, nor a gentler means of forging.

She stole a glance at the sleeping red, assuring herself that she was truly deeply asleep. Thankfully the intricately marked dragonet did not stir. The blood-red of her hide rose and fell, but did not awaken. She wiped her eyes, forcing herself to breathe. The tears were still flowing, but at least she was managing to nod, and to breathe once more. She could not reply for a few moments, but forced herself to calm enough that she might do so.

"First Siinari...then Akashath. My family..." She felt traitorous, speaking ill of her family, despite all the wrongs that her parents--for she did not hold her elder sister to blame for her confused feelings on what had happened with Sin--had done her. Still, she had to speak it, or else bottle it again. She didn't think she could handle holding it in any longer. "My family blames me. I was the one who made her leave. She'd never have done it if not for me. I arranged it all, and brought her here. Convinced her we'd have a better life. Convinced her to Stand. Then..." Her voice broke, and she cursed it for failing her before inhaling deeply again. "She wanted to be a dragonrider, too. Yet Sin couldn't have done it on her own. She wanted things, but I'm the one who pushed her to do them. My older sister...my parents...no one knows I've Impressed. Krystin--my sister--sends letters. They're just not the same as they used to be, and I can tell. I don't know what to write back. What do I say? That I Impressed? A red would be bad enough in their eyes. Yet Akashath..." She didn't want to speak badly of her own dragonet, either. Plus, there was another matter, one that brought more guilt than simply stating the truth of the nature of her dragon.

"I love her." In this admittance, she searched the whiteweyrling's expression to see i there was something to be read there. Disgust? Disdain? Disbelief? "I shouldn't, because she did such terrible things. She doesn't even think what she did was wrong, T'tallon. She enjoys causing pain to others--even me, to a lesser degree. I'm supposed to be her partner. I think she loves me, in some way, but I don't even know. And I love her, anyhow. Even though she's..." Evil? Was the red evil? She didn't know if that was the case, and could not put a word to it. She was certainly not good in Kat's mind. She was cruel and possessive, and liked to cause pain to everyone and everything. Kat had managed to control her when she'd meant to harm Navi and Sin, her firelizards, on more than one occasion. If she hadn't...maybe they'd be dead. She wasn't sure. Aka had snapped at them, swiped at them...they'd moved, but had it been in earnest? Would she really kill them if they hadn't? She didn't care for them, that was for certain. She was mostly indifferent to them, it seemed. Kat just didn't know. She felt she should have known. This was her dragon, her partner, her lifemate. Why didn't she know anything for certain?

"If I can love her the way she is...what kind of person does that make me? I can't even be sorry I Impressed her. Even with all she's done, and I fear she might someday do. Not even then." She gingerly wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve, the part that stuck out from beneath the hide jacket she wore. She felt it was unfair of her to load this all onto the boy. He'd not asked for it, and here she was, blathering at him. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "I didn't mean to unload this all on you. I haven't been able to talk about it at all. Maybe you'll understand why," she said wryly, sniffling and looking towards Ioth. She couldn't really allow herself be jealous, really. He deserved a nice partner. No one deserved to get saddled with a dragonet like hers, and she'd wish it on no one. Envious, maybe. A dragon like Ioth was all she'd ever wanted. A caring, sweet, dragon. She was sure they'd have their own hurdles. Everyone did. Yet at least they could work on them together. Not some one sided battle, fighting for control to stop one's dragonet from harming someone or something else...
PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: Apr 12 2018, 01:05 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

"It's not your fault, what happened to your sister." His gaze flicked sharply to the left for a moment, before he blinked and focused on her again. "She didn't have to say yes. She didn't have to go on the Sands that day. This is something, I think, that we risk and hope that the dust wherry doesn't come home to roost."

"There will always be someone who blames someone else, whether the blame is merited or not. Because in putting the blame on someone else," the whiteweyrling made a scooping gesture in front of himself, miming picking something up before turning and dumping the nothingness next to him, "they can absolve themselves of it. Blame doesn't exist for any purpose but to make a blamer feel better."

When she looked at him for his reaction, T'tallon simply bobbed his head. Of course she loved Akashath. Good, bad, or indifferent, the red was her dragon, and they were bonded for life by a closer tie than any non-dragonrider could fully understand. "Of course you should love her. Even if she doesn't care about others. She's still your dragon. You still have a bond."

And she loves you, whether she knows it or expresses it or not, Ioth put in softly, crooning a few songlike notes. These ties go both ways.

"It makes you stronger than someone who can't," T'tallon answered. "A difficult choice chose you, because you could handle the difficulties." He spread his hands. "Not alone. There are those here to help."

He smiled ruefully, looking down at the little white. "Well, sometimes the difficult choice chooses you, and sometimes you choose the difficult choice. Akashath did the former, and Ioth the latter." Reaching down, he scratched his bonded's eyeridges. "I'm the burden of our bond, not the other way around."

Fluting softly, Ioth reared up, stretching up-up-up like a cat to bring his head as close to T'tallon's face as he could. It is not a burden to need help, he told them both, although it was directed at his particular human. My gift was made for you.

@Ruriko

PMAIM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr