April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Say What Now?, WI:17 {Blot/Zane}
Zane
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 04:53 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Winter had settled in, and Embry didn't mind in the least. Considering he had the tendency to overwork himself to the point of exhaustion, the cool air was welcome against his bare arms, and face. Taking a deep breath in, the young came to stop by the lakeside. He was a Turn older, and therefore no longer a boy. He was a man, but he didn't feel like one. Each Turn that passed filled him with dread. Being another Turn older held zero benefits. The older he got, the more responsibility he was forced to assume. He could hardly deny that he barely took care of himself most days. He didn't need the burden of being responsible for a pet, or, Faranth forbid, a child... He didn't want anyone to rely on him. Dragons, in his mind, were somehow different. He suspected, in some senses, his dragon would help to take care of him. He would never admit this, but he knew it to be true.

The lake water was cold, and he'd be crazy to venture in. So, he didn't. Not much of a fan of swimming anyways, Embry consented to enjoying the view. The young man sat himself down nearest the waters edge. If he wanted to, he could have hung his legs over and dangled his feet. He was bored, which was plain to see. His expression was flat, at best. As usual, he appeared as if he didn't have a friend in the world. He didn't, or so he thought. He had met a nice girl, named Rome, but girls were trouble. Embry worked hard to stay away from the Weyr's women. They were like tunnelsnakes, threatening to drag him deeper and deeper into their cave. Once they had him, he could scarcely break-free. (While the ex-Trader had the habit of being the initiator, it was often reciprocation that got him going).

As it was, he was alone here-for now. He was perfectly content to sit with his thoughts. His head was swimming, mostly with his fears regarding the hatching. He didn't want to be left Standing, not again. He just wanted for someone, something, to see him as worthwhile. What would it take, to have someone see past his rough exterior? People today lacked patience, and were selfish. Embry supposed that he was one such person, and so he couldn't expect anyone else to be any different. Even so, it would be nice...

@Blot - sorry it's so short, he's just been thinking these things for so long ;--;
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 05:44 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Winter came with snow and ice, and with it a chill that was decidedly unpleasant. With it came the promise of dragon hatchings, and also the turnday of a certain Harper turned Candidate. Said Harper turned Candidate was currently in her room. Though not for long. Puff had to be taken out, because she didn’t want him doing his business in the room she shared with another girl. That would be, well, quite frankly disgusting. Carefully she tied her leash to the thin leather collar around Puff’s neck and fixed his little scarf. Yes, scarf. Even Candi’s dog had a scarf. And it matched her own dark green one beautifully. He didn’t really need it, despite his size Puff had come from thick furred dogs up north. But she liked to match.

Really, she was used to worse. Dalibor wasn’t the end all of wintery places, and as long as there was no blizzard, Candi found herself to be fine. She strolled with little care in the world, whistling as she did, Puff prancing at her side like a little king. Both the Harper and her canine walked with a certain swagger, an air of confidence around them. Occasionally, Puff would rush forward and pull at his leash, yapping and barking at anything that moved. From firelizards to dragons, it didn’t matter to him. Nothing was too big to be barked at.

The edges of her scarf flapped lightly in the winds, when something happened. Puff was lunging at a firelizard when his leash came undone. Freed, the canine bolted after the flit, barking up a storm as he did. Until, of course, it betweened. Candi was made to scramble after him, but Puff didn’t seem to care that his name was being called. He had picked up a scent. He waddled as fast as his short legs would carry him to the lake, where his fugitive sat all contemplative. Standing his ground, the little scarfed canine barked at Embry, bouncing in the snow as he did.

Candi was hot on his trail, but when she spotted someone else, she slowed to a walk. Quickly she smoothed out her clothing and ran a finger through her bangs. The redhead had to look presentable, there was an audience now.
“Oh Puuuff~” she called out musically. When the dog did not answer, she sighed softly. Strolling over, she quickly scooped up the yappy little terror and smile brightly at Embry.
“Sorry about that. He gets… Well excited. He didn’t bite you, did he?” She looked down to the dog in her arms and put on a mock frown.
“Bad Puffums. You know you have to stay on your leash!”

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 07:04 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

Usually Embry could sniff danger out from a mile away. Generally he caused the danger, as unintentional as it may have been. This time, he was not at fault. This time, well, danger had come to him in the form of a small, fluffy, creature. The dog stopped a few yards away, yapping at him. The ball of fluff decided to jump up and down whilst making the worlds most annoying noise. "Hey-," Embry scowled, glaring in the canines direction. "Shut up you little-," and then a girl came running. She called after the fluff bucket, as if that was going to keep it from yapping away at him. Soon the girl was scooping the little menace up, and offering him an apology.

Embry gave the stink eye to the dog in her arms before fixing her with an equally dissatisfied stare. "He's still alive, isn't he?" There was that oh so friendly personality of his, rearing it's head. Given, he and the girl hadn't gotten off to the best start. Embry didn't like feeling threatened, even if it was by a hairball with legs. "What is that thing?" he snorted, angling away so that the dog wouldn't get any ideas. He didn't trust animals, mostly because they acted on instinct. Unlike people, animals could not rationalize and think things through. They were far more likely to cause him sudden harm and so, as a rule, he tended to keep far away from them.

What the shells had she called it? Puffums? What sort of a name was Puffums? Deciding that it might have been better to simply abandon the individual and her strange dog altogether, it was ultimately curiosity that kept the young man rooted in place. Was it him or did the girl look dementedly happy? Who was that happy? Strange... the pair of them. The girl. The dog. The whole situation. It was fishy.

Keeping his distance since, at the time, it felt advisable, Embry firmly rubbed the side of his face with an open palm. At least the powderpuff had stopped barking. Why did people feel the need to get pets at all? What purpose did they serve? No matter. He doubted the girl had an answer that would satisfy him, as to why she kept the yappy little rat around. So, rather than say anything more on the matter, he resumed his standoffish behaviour.

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 07:26 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

That was an… interesting way to start a conversation. Puff was indeed, alive, and Candi would have been very distraught if he wasn’t. She eyed the young man slightly, trying to figure out what kind of person he was based on that comment alone. Obviously not a very pleasant one. But that was ok, because Candi was pleasant enough for both of them.

“What is it?” She parroted back, with a soft laugh.
“Why he’s a canine! One of the smaller breeds though. I think they’re meant to catch small rodents and tunnelsnakes and the like. But Puff here does better at catching bubbly pie crusts.” She scratched under Puff’s chin, the don closing his eyes in sheer bliss as she did. It was probably for the best that he angled himself away. Puff was a known biter, and he tended to take offense easily. Well, that and Candi had gotten good at directing the tiny ball of rage at people she felt deserved it. The jury was still out on if this person deserved a bite.

If it wasn’t obvious from their matching scarfs, any reason Candi had for having Puff would surely be insipid. She looked at Embry, squinting her eyes a bit.
“Hey… You’re a candidate too, right? I think I saw you at some of my first lessons!” Hands clapped together, like she was congratulating herself for merely recognizing someone. But instead of letting him respond, she yammered on.
“Yea, I mean I don’t see you at them often now, since I’m a Wher candidate. But there were a few joint classes. Are you excited! There are eggs on the sands, right? I’m excited for y’all. Not a ton of eggs, but like, what eight? That’s excitin’!”

There was a twinkle in her eye, like she had an idea.
“Oh you know what, I think you’ll be My Candidate! I’ll sit in the stands a root for you, and get all excited when you impress. How’s that sound?” The question was purely rhetorical. She was going to do it no matter what.
“I’m Candi, by the way.” Her name fit, it was as bubbly and saccharine sounding as she seemed.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 07:56 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

Her laugh felt mocking, even if she hadn't intended for it to be; Embry took it as such. The young mans brows furrowed. His blue eyes, once having bore a twinkle of curiosity, now held little more than the spark of irritation. He felt like saying "okay, but why?" How could a dog that small be useful? All he'd have to do was step on it to kill it, not that he'd ever do something so cruel. Given the dogs nature, he doubted it was welcome in public settings. "So he's a nuisance then," Embry offered rudely, reaching a hand up to ruffle his unkempt strands of hair. There was a brief flash of defiance that wove it's way into his expression whilst he rolled his shoulders.

The girl was then squinting her eyes at him, giving him the urge to put even more distance between them. "What?" he inquired, sounding semi concerned. He stared back at her, brow raising ever so slightly. Why were all girls so strange, and untrustworthy? "Uh... yeah." He decided that, for the time being, vague was best. It wasn't as if he was a conversationalist, after all. Why did she look so pleased? Why was his being a candidate such a big deal to her? Embry tried very, very, hard not to roll his eyes and call her a dimglow. "There are... yeah. Why would I be excited?" He realized, at that moment, that he truly wasn't. He was dreading the hatching, maybe even more than the last. "You can be excited all you want," he muttered, lightly smacking his forehead in a clear display of frustration.

He needed to try. Being mean to this girl wasn't going to get him anywhere. He found her voice, or at least its pitch, incredibly annoying. He suspected that, for extended periods of time, she grated on ones nerves. A quieter, more serious, individual, Embry rarely got on with people whom were excessively bubbly and outgoing.

"Your... what?" he exclaimed, his voice rising. What stupid idea had she gone and got into her head now? "I don't know you," he spat out, his anger becoming more and more apparent with each passing second. "I'm not going to impress, so don't waste your time-alright?" He was glaring at her now, as if her presence was a threat to him. Then she was introducing herself to him, as if he had even cared to know her name.

Why are you such a jerk? The thought assaulted his mind, and it pained him that he couldn't find an answer. "Okay..." he trailed off. He would prefer she didn't know his name, given she was likely to track him down later. He wanted to be left alone, couldn't she see that? Why did everyone try so hard to bother him? He studied the girls face carefully, trying to decide what it was she saw in him-if anything. He wouldn't blame her if she turned around and left. If she did she'd be doing them both a favour. He couldn't find it in his heart to be remorseful.

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 08:19 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Perhaps if Candi was anyone else she would be disillusioned with trying to talk to him. If she was anyone else, she might be offended. If it was anyone but Candi, they might had snapped when their pet was called a nuisance. But Candi only giggled and nodded.
“Well yea, he can be kind of annoying. He spends most of his time chasing firelizards, though they can always between away from him. So he’s not that bright.” She hefted the pup in her hands and pressed a kiss to it’s forehead, letting the little beast lick her nose after.

She was not phased by his change in attitude, instead only tilted her head to one side.
“Whaaaat? Yes you are! I know you are, you know why? Because I believe in you. And I’m like, the best person to have in your corner because I only pick the best. She set Puff down, the canine running after a few trundlebugs but otherwise staying within her sight. She stepped closer to him and set her hands on her hips.

“I’m going to tell you this right now. You’re going to impress, and you’re going to get someone amazing, and then you’ll be like ‘Oh Candi your magic worked!’ and I will just nod sagely as I do.” It seemed like the more he argued, the more he struggled, the more accepting she was. Candi rocked on her heels a bit.
“I’ve got a sense for these things, you know. I always knew who was going to get searched before they were searched back at Harper Hall, and I know when people are going to impress now.”

Candi struck a contemplative pose, one finger tapping lightly against her bottom lip as she thought it over.
“I’m not sure if it’ll be this one, since there’s only a small amount of eggs on the sands. But I know you’re going to impress.” Candi’s optimism was often infectious, but already she could tell it wasn’t going to work on him. He didn’t seem like the kind of person to be easily swayed like that.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 08:39 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

He came to sort of regret what he'd said about her yappy little dog. He eyed the dog a moment, as if it had three heads, and then continued to keep a close watch of Candi. He didn't trust her, at all. Who had sent her to come and talk to him? Was someone playing a nasty trick? He could have redeemed himself, or at least attempted to be more pleasant. He may have even, if she'd stopped talking at him. She was rambling on and on; it was driving him mental. He didn't understand why she was so bent on talking to him, or why she was saying any of what she was saying? Did she pity him or something? He didn't need, nor want, her pity. He needed to control himself, because it wasn't her fault. She didn't understand him, or why he preferred to be alone. It wouldn't do to project all of his anger onto her, not when things could go oh so terribly wrong.

He remained composed, something that was very hard for Embry to do. There were few times in his life when had actively chosen to still himself. This was one of those times, because he was already hurt enough. "You don't know me," he told her. Candi put her dog down, and Embry jumped a little when the thing went speeding off. He hated animals-really he did.

She stepped closer to him, and he moved back again. He hated, more than anything,
to have his space invaded. He was afraid to admit this fact to her, in case she chose to use it against him. "What are you on about? Don't you have someone else you can go and harass and feed your lies to?" Well, it seemed he had given up on trying. This girl was acting as if she knew him, and as if she cared, and none of that was even possible. "Are you a hears-all or something? Do you speak to the dragons? I highly doubt it." Even so, why would she have ever spoken to anyone about him? He was no one. The boy was practically yelling now, fighting to be heard over the girls boundless energy.

"Harper Hall?" Was she a harper then? That would explain why she was so over-the-top. "You don't know anything, so back off." His chest rose and fell with each strained breath. He was quickly bordering on livid, and blind rage. She needed to leave, now, before he really gave her a piece of his mind. She was pressing in on him, it felt like. Her words were confusing, and seemingly out of nowhere. He still couldn't help feeling that she had been put up to this by someone, maybe someone who had it out for him.

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 09:16 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

See, there was the problem. She didn’t know him. But by Faranth she was trying to! He was just making it difficult.
“Lies? Why would I lie?” She asked, though she knew she lied. A lot. Had he seen through her? No… Surely not. No one saw through Candi and her lies. She frowned at him, though the expression wasn’t all that genuine. Candi was not good at being sad. She wanted to say she was a Hear-All, just to get him to be quiet and accept her happy little story.

Candi wasn’t used to being yelled at, and it was obvious by the way her eyes got wide and wet. She wasn’t going to cry, she wasn’t going to get anything out of it if she did. And he was nothing as scary as thunder. Still, she cringed back, her mind racing to figure out what was going on. She had just been sharing her positivity with him. Why was he reacting like this?

“How am I supposed to know anything if you won’t let me? I’m trying to be friendly! You looked like you needed it, and well. I thought maybe we could be friends!” She pouted at him, her arms crossed. But there was a certain tension to her shoulders, and a look in her eyes that said the gloves were off.
“I guess if you want to sit here and stew in your own pessimism I can let you. But you know, I really was just trying to be friendly. I don’t know if this is how you treat everyone, or if this is just a bad day. But I’m sorry.”

She glanced to Puff who had turned with the yelling. The little dog was growling, which was ridiculous sounding given his small size. His stance was pure defensive, and he had moved to be standing next to Candi. She kept one hand held up slightly, stopping Puff from actually lunging to bite like he obviously wanted.
“You’re way to cute to be this angry, you know. I bet you’d be super handsome if you just smiled or something.” There was that pout again. If cheeriness wouldn’t work, then maybe flirting would. Not that she was lying. There was something about him that was pretty attractive. Maybe it was those eyes, eyes that looked like they could see straight through her. Shells, even flamed up with anger, they were pretty. Puff seemed to grow tired of the humans and their talking. It was time to take things into his own paws. Or in this case, teeth. The small ball of fur launched himself at Embry, teeth bared, and latched on to his ankle. With a growl he wrenched his head to one side, tearing into the skin some, even through his pants, and probably leaving a sizable lil bitemark.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 09:44 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

All girls were deceptive. He was now fully convinced. He didn't give in-didn't answer her. Nothing he said would make the situation any better, only worse. She wanted him to lash out, was that it? She was trying to piss him off, so she could be all dramatic and tell someone he had dome something he hadn't? Why was everyone trying to hurt him? What had he done? Maybe Dalibor, truly, wasn't the place for him...

The girl was taken aback when he raised his voice at her, and tears began to well in her eyes. She refused to let them free, and Embry, marginally, admired her for that. He hadn't made a move towards her, his posture stiff. He remained where he was, in the same position. His intent was not to scare her, merely to get her to piss off. Embry didn't want to scare anyone, or even make them cry. He wasn't a good person, he knew that, and so it only made sense that Candi knew it too.

"Why?" he asked her, the tension, and pent up aggression, still laced throughout his tone. He rested his hands against his pant legs, because he didn't know where else to put them. "Why are you here? What do you really want?" His paranoia was likely disconcerting, but Embry had been attacked far too many times to ever recognize a persons good intentions. She was yelling back at him, and so he leaned back a little. It was his turn to be chastised, and his response was much the same. While Embry's emotions rarely shone through unless in the most severe of circumstances, his blue eyes had gotten wider. There was a childish innocence that, once seen, was likely gone. She apologized, and made him consider her words. He did consider them, mostly because she was right. He hated it when other people were right.

He struggled to gather his thoughts, and put them into words. "Look... I didn't mean to offend you, or upset you. I'm not good at... this. You don't know me, really you don't. Nor do you want to know me-trust me. I'm not worth getting to know." He was being honest now, so what could possibly go wrong? The venom had seeped from his voice, and all that was left was a pitiful regret. He didn't look at her now, not directly. He wasn't sure what to focus on, mostly because he felt miserable. He was sure he looked about as sad as he felt on the inside. His jaw was no longer clenched, and his lips had come to twitch downward in a pained frown.

Then she was complimenting him. He barely had a moment to feel truly uncomfortable, because her dog rushed him. The small powderpuff sunk it's teeth into his leg and hung on. "For Faranth's sake!" At that he attempted to shake the damn thing off, reflexively kicking at the canine. Red stained his pant-leg, where the dog had bit him. "Control your stupid animal!" he hollered, blood rising to his face.

Shards, he hated everyone! He hated animals! He hated this entire sharding Weyr!

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 10:00 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Oh, she had been making a breakthrough! Things were working! Aaaand then Puff decided to ruin it all. The small canine wasn’t able to hold on when he kicked out his leg, and went tumbling through the snow. Candi was instantly torn on apologizing or going after the dog. She decided to do a mix of both.
“Sorry! So sorry! He doesn-” She moved to scoop up Puff only for the canine to growl and nip at her. She snapped her fingers in his face as a warning and snatched him up, cradling him to her chest. Sadly the canine’s little scarf fluttered away on the winds.She wasn’t sure if she should be mad at Puff or mad at Embry for effectively kicking her dog. She decided on both.

“You don’t know that. See, I’m willing to give you a chance. If it backfires on me, oh well. But I’m willing to get to know you.” Her tone was cool as she looked at him.
“As a Harper, we’re taught to read people, to an extent, and I don’t know what your problem is. But life might be better if you let people in.” It was the only piece of advice she was willing to give him.
“And sorry about Puff. He doesn’t like yelling and raised voices. Tension gets to him.” She scratched lightly behind the canine’s ear. Even though she hadn’t directed him to bite, she wasn’t angry.

“Now. Let’s try this again. Hello! My name is Candi. I’m a harper and a Wher candidate. I see there are eggs hardening on the sand, as a dragon candidate, are you excited?” Candi was willing to give him another shot.
“Have you ever done a touching? I heard they do that for Dragons sometimes. But I’ve never got to touch them. They don’t do that for Whers. I guess because they don’t bond as easily.”

Puff squirmed in her grasp, but Candi kept a tight hold of him. He had lost his down privileges for the time being. After all, that little scarf had been hard to find! And now due to his actions it was lost. Not that Puff seemed to mind. The canine was oddly proud of himself. He had defended his Human.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 14 2017, 10:27 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

Embry hissed as the dog went rolling away. He had in mind to step on the damned thing, but he would do no such thing. He was not cruel, even when he wanted to be. So, as the girl apologized, and seized her hot mess of an animal, he heard none of it. Her apology was lost to the breeze, because the young man was watching the dogs scarf escape. In the brief time he had spent flicking his gaze all about, it was the girls scarf he had noticed. Now, for possibly the first time, he was taking note of the dogs. It was an odd detail, and one that was ultimately inconsequential to him, but ever the same he felt the need to acknowledge it now that the canines scarf was blowing away.

Without saying a word, the boy gave chase. He left Candi in the middle of her now one-sided conversation, tripping over himself as he lunged for the piece of cloth. Gritting his teeth, the boy continued to run, no longer sure what his real aim was. It felt good, to move this fast. It wasn't as if he could outrun all of his problems, but at this moment the idea was appealing. Reaching out, Embry stretched his fingers, smirking when they closed around the dark green material. It was soft, and clearly made with care. The details of the scarf hardly mattered, and yet they were the reason why he'd gone to fetch it.

Rather than run again, Embry walked the possession back. He stared just past the girl and her dog so he wouldn't have to risk spotting whatever reaction Candi chose to have. Whether good, or bad, he didn't care. He only meant to return the scarf to her, and then, possibly, be on his way. The young man reached out, waiting for Candi to take her possession back.

The details she'd given him about her person rolled around his head. "Wher candidate" was the one that stuck in his mind. She was vying for something, just like he was. He knew very little about whers, but had heard that their hatchings were much the same. It required being chosen.

"Hey Candi," he breathed; his face red from the cold, and the exertion. Finally his blue eyes met hers, "I'm Embry."

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Oct 16 2017, 12:06 AM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

The wind was a capricious thing. It took the scarf and twirled it about like a bully taunting their prey. How scandalized it was when prize was so rudely grabbed by none other than the dog-kicker himself. Candi watched in slight surprise, harper schooling having taught her to keep her real emotions suppressed until she needed them. But brows still rose in grudging respect as he walked back with the scarf in hand. Had she been wrong? What was this boy, the callous one who snapped at her for being friendly? Or the one who was kind enough to chase after her little accessory. Smile tugged at her lips as she looked him over, appraising him with new eyes. Oh yes, she was still sure of his beauty, but she was seeing something else now. Something purer.

Lips parted in bright grin as he returned with the item in hand. Delicate fingers, musician’s fingers, plucked to cloth from his hands and she held it close, though not even looking at it. Her eyes were only focused on him.
“Embry?” She thought the name over for a moment before nodding, like she accepted it.
“It’s lovely to meet you, Embry.” That smile was back, the enigmatic one that sat on her lips oh so often, the little quirk that often read to most people like she didn’t have much going on upstairs. And the Weyr was just going to trust this woman with a wher?

“So. Dragons and whers, right? None of them seem to have the sense to find us perfect. Though I promise you we are.” She huffed softly.
“How long have you been here? I arrived right after that pretty little copper was hatched. A horrible thing to miss, you see, as a harper it’s my job to be around when history is made. But one of the Wher handlers, I think her name starts with an O? Let me see it through her wher’s eyes. A neat trick, that one.” Candi was content to prattle on, to relieve him of the duty of having to entertain her. Some saw it as self centered. Candi herself thought she was being kind.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Nov 10 2017, 05:52 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

He came on back with the little dogs scarf in hand. He felt bad for kicking the yappy-thing. He shouldn't have, but he'd gotten startled. It had been a reflex... So, he made amends in his own way. Reaching out, he handed the scarf back to the girl. She took it, and yet was staring at him. It was eerie, but he did his best not to shrink under her gaze. Okay, so maybe it wasn't all that eerie. She looked... appreciative. Embry sighed, because he was Embry, and awkwardly scratched at the side of his neck. He met her gaze once, and then again when she spoke his name. She sounded sincere, as if she was genuinely happy to have met him. How... strange.

"Uh... yeah." Yup, that was likely the best she was gonna get. Staring down and off to the side, with the same level of discomfort as usual, Embry couldn't help but make a face. Then she was speaking again, and he tried his best to look her in the eye. "Dragons, not whers," he corrected her. He then realized, a moment too late, she had been referring to the both of them. He merely blinked at her, not bothering to correct his mistake.

She asked him a question, but then carried on. He waited for her to finish, his face becoming more and more contorted the longer she prattled on. He didn't have much patience, that much was evident, but he was trying given what had come to pass. He hated to feel indebted to anyone, and he supposed that getting her little dogs scarf back made up for what had happened. Her dog had bit him after all. It wasn't as if he'd kicked it, and then it bit him...

"A while," he answered unhelpfully. "Over a turn I guess... coming on two..." Had it been two turns? Maybe it had already. He didn't know. The passage of time had always managed to escape him. Time passed too quickly, and he hated to waste more of it by giving it any real consideration. He would have asked her the same question back, but she had pretty well already answered it. "They're dumb, the pair of them," he stated rather rudely. "The copper seems pretty useless... I don't think you missed much." He crossed his arms over his chest, not caring at all that he was the one being rude--yet again. His brief meeting with Zel and Zelsk had not gone exceedingly well.

@Blot
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Jan 13 2018, 08:06 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

She arched a well manicured brow at his rudeness towards the budding queen and her handler. Had there been a tiff? Was there drama she was missing out on? Well that couldn’t be. As a Harper it was her job to know all the drama and gossip.
“I see. Well she certainly looked splendid. Such a cute little thing.” ‘Cute’ was probably not a word most would use to describe whers. They were considered the ugliest of dragonkin after all. But Candi was not everyone else. If she deemed it cute, there would be no changing her mind on the matter.

“Two turns hmm? Seen a lot in those times? I gotta admit, I’m kind of envious. I’ve always been stuck in a hold or harper hall. I never got to see any kind of hatching before here. Not even firelizard.” Her tone was almost aghast as she looked at him, like everyone should experience a hatching.

“Anyways, what kind of dragon do you want? Personality wise I mean. I don’t think color means too much, unless you want to nanny eggs all the time. Which frankly sounds terribly boring to me. I think you’d do well with something kind of hardy. Not a sweetheart, but someone who has the strength to support you.” She nodded a bit as she spoke, like she could read him. Who knows, maybe she could. Puff yapped in her arms and she lightly placed a hand on his muzzle, muffling the sounds.

“Not now Puff, Momma’s speaking. You can bark at whatever later.”
Embry was… Interesting she had to admit. He was intriguing, someone who she wanted to follow, to see. Just to see what he did. She wasn’t even all that mad he kicked her dog, though she should be. She was more interested in seeing how he reacted to things. Already she was pleased he grabbed Puff’s scarf for her. The piece of cloth was tucked under her arm with the pup, the wind tugging at it.

@Zane

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Jan 24 2018, 01:30 AM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

656 Posts
4930 Marks

If there was any information to divulge regarding his interactions with Zel and Zelsk, he was unlikely to give it. Embry was reserved, at best. While he didn't always know when to keep his mouth shut, the young man could sense that now was certainly not the time to go blabbing about the copperhandler. He had only just met Candi, and therefore she was not at all trustworthy. "Sure... why not," came his flat response. Though he hadn't said much, his perfunctory response indicated a level of disdain. Maybe, in future, Candi would find out what had come to pass between himself and the wherling-girl. For now, there was only silence.

"People die," he offered unhelpfully. Then he made a face, indicating his lack of appreciation in regards to being drilled. He felt as if he was being interviewed. Why was the girl so nosy? Idly he mused over kicking her instead, though he would do no such thing. Candi, for all she was a chatterbox, did not deserve his ire. "Firelizards are annoying," he mumbled. They were indeed. He would never own one. "You're not missing out on much..." he finished with. There was a shrug, and then little else.

Then... more questions. Embry sighed, rubbing the back of his neck as he pondered the girls question carefully. No one had bothered to ask him before--what he wanted that is. No one cared enough to ask. Maybe one person... once upon a time... He suspected that he and A'dran had probably discussed this a time or two over their time shared as candidates. Embry, choosing to block it out, attempted to focus on the wher-girl. Then she was giving him her opinion. He was tempted to tell her that she didn't know him--because she didn't. However, he had already relayed as much earlier. So, hoping to redeem himself in part, he settled for muttering obscenities under his breath. There was a strong urge to roll his eyes.

"Ah... I don't know? I'm not hoping for anything." Hide-color was all that mattered, didn't it? It was what solidified a persons position within the Weyr. What good would he be if he impressed a black, or a blue, when A'dran was on wings of brown? He didn't want to sound like a pompous ass, and so he refrained from relaying the information that was passing through his head.

When the girls dog set to barking, Embry only glared. What a nuisance that thing was. Why bother having it at all? Oh well, the little menace was the girls burden to bear. Frankly, he would have left such a creature with the beastcrafters. "That's all he's good for, isn't it?" he remarked dryly. He just couldn't help himself.

@Blot
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr