Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Helpful Helper?, WI:17 {A'dran/Inali}
Catsitta
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 10:43 PM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks
Member Inventory: View

It was official. Wobath was too big for A'dran to bathe and oil alone in a reasonable amount of time. He held off in seeking help as long as possible, but today was the day he admitted defeat. Hopefully whoever the candidatemaster assigned to help him would listen, or they'd end up wasting more time than if he'd just bathed the Brown alone. Toting buckets in both hands, he set his 'station' up on the lakeshore. There were brushes, oil and soapsand--ready to use and easy to grab. And if he needed anything, Wonder or Wish could fetch it. They were, after all, the only ones remotely large enough to carry anything.

As he checked over his work, Wobath completed his routine Path and arrived at the water's edge. It amazed him still that the lumbering brown took to the air so easily. But that was the nature of dragons, to fly. 'Today will be a bit different, Buddy. We'll have a Candidate helping out.' A'dran patted the brown's foreleg and watched as the bulky dragon wandered into the winter-chilled lake. Stark against his dark hide was a collection of colorful dots, some almost too tiny to see. Most of A'dran's firelizard fair rested on his head and neck, with their half-grown copper queen perched between Wobath's headknobs. Only three of his eleven did not sit on the dragon. One being a hatchling blue, Wander, who never landed for long, flickering wide circles in the air above the brownweyrling pair. The other two being a white, Winter, and a green, Warrior. Both of which were tucked into his hair, huddled together, the green protecting her frail sibling from the cold.

"Guess I might as well get started," he mumbled to himself, stripping off his riding jacket and tugging at his boots. As much as he did not want to get wet, he had to. Spring couldn't come fast enough. Left in rolled up trousers and an under tunic that was far more tight across the chest and shoulders than it was a Turn ago, he resigned himself to his fate. He picked up a brush and a bucket of soapsand, and stepped into the shallows of the lake. With luck, only his feet and calves would suffer.

@Captain

PMEmail
^
Captain
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 11:15 PM
Wherlingmaster

216 Posts
163 Marks

Inali wasn't a fan of the cold, but she stepped out without a coat, ready to suffer for the sake of learning. And spending time around a dragon. She didn't even care what dragon, she just liked being around them. She hit the lakeshore at a jog and paused long enough to kick her boots off and roll her pant legs up. "Sorry I'm late. Getting assigned took longer than it was supposed to."

She looked up from making sure her boots were well out of the way of the water and blinked. Okay. He was attractive. That changed nothing. Nor did the fact that the brown was big. She bobbed into a polite bow to the brown. "I'm Inali. Are all those yours?" She asked bluntly, eyeing the flits with a wide-eyed expression. She didn't have one and she wanted one badly. It seemed to be that she missed every opportunity. Maybe she needed to go hunting for them or something. She didn't know.

She waded in, biting back a yelp. Shivering, she continued on bravely, standing tall and putting on a serious face as though it didn't bother her at all. "W-where do you normally s-start?"

@Catsitta

Captain's Crew
Pressganged - Captain's Wanteds
Lady Holder Baria of Western
X'vir of Brown Oth | Ems of Blue Kapth | Wa'ut of Blue Qith |
L'ru of Green Syrath |Z'ant of Green Lyraleth |
Zaela of Pink Nektisuth | Qivi of Black Dekandaeth |
Vatalian of Orange Vatask | Pavir of Blue Pavisk | Setarii of Black Setask
Inali, Havenrute, Navenax, Felrin
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 11:47 PM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

A'dran was rounding on Wobath's forelegs and chest to start his bathing routine when his helper showed up. He peeked over his shoulder at the candidate, noting how she hurried her way into the lake, kicking off her boots in a rush. A delay in her assignment? Whatever. She was here now. With luck she knew how to follow instructions. He took a moment to wordlessly study her, noting the awe displayed upon spotting his Fair. Wander looped around her with a chirp of greeting, a spec compared to his future size. For now, everyone was cooperative and peaceful. Deciding that he would let the candidate show her nature through her work, A'dran decided to break his silent appraisal with an oh-so-charming scoff.

"Of course they're mine," he pointed at the supplies on the shore. "Now grab a brush and listen. Wobath must be bathed a certain way or we'll have to start over." Stubborn brown wouldn't leave the lake until he was ready. "I start with his chest and neck. Then his head. Follow by his left side, shoulder to haunch. His right side. Then his wings, and lastly, his tail. Oiling is from the top down, when we get there. Got it?" His words were clipped and his tone restrained. There was a watchfulness in his eyes that declared that he did not trust Inali to do a thing right.

Warrior decided that this moment of seriousness displayed by Hers, was just the perfect time to cuddle. She slipped out of his hair to sprawl against his neck and jaw, a low, affectionate hum in her throat. Hard to look aloof and stern with a finger-length flitter glued to your cheek.

As A'dran was assailed by his overly friendly green, Wobath tilted his head, having been watching her since she arrived. A few flits scattered off him as he moved, deciding to chase each other through the air before landing again, this time further down his back.

@Captain

PMEmail
^
Captain
 Posted: Nov 30 2017, 12:40 AM
Wherlingmaster

216 Posts
163 Marks

Inali listened, focused. "Chest, neck, head, left, right, wings tail. Oil top down. Circles or back and forth?" Apparently she at least had some idea of what she was doing, judging by the way she recited it back and gave him a moderately annoyed look. She didn't like his tone, but she was used to taking orders and being spoken down to. She could at least pretend it didn't drive her insane. "Will he speak up if there's a certain spot that bothers him or will that get relayed through you?"

She grabbed a brush and folded her arms over her chest, waiting for a response then diving in unprompted, keeping an eye on the brown. It was the firelizards that broke her stern expression and made her smile. She watched Wander curiously, waving back in greeting. "How many do you have?"

Scrubbing the brown's chest put them nearly side by side and Inali watched A'dran out of the corner of her eye whenever she dipped the brush. "Neck next, right? I don't want to start all over any more than you do."

@Catsitta

Captain's Crew
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Nov 30 2017, 01:02 AM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

"Either way is fine," A'dran grumbled, plucking the green from his face to settle her back on his shoulder. "And he will speak up." Eventually. Probably to inform them that they weren't done at the very end. Though true discomfort would be relayed through him, so A'dran would be able to circumvent any potential disasters. He turned away from Inali to start bathing the brown. She was annoyed with him, he saw it on her face, but he didn't care. People were harder to understand and trust than animals. While the girl did nothing to earn his ire, she had not earned any pleasantness either, nor did she have the rank to make him consider his words with care.

In truth, this was plain awkward for him. A stranger was helping him tend his dragon, an intimate task for someone who did this alone until now. He was not sociable either, though he was adapting to the structure of the weyr. Classmates and wingmates were simpler things to manage than friends.

He scrubbed Wobath's hide near his collarbone, "Neck first, yes." He caught the girl's smile at Wander's greeting. At least she liked firelizards. This would be intolerable if the assigned candidate flinched every time one neared him. "To answer your question, I've eleven." There was a hint of pride softening his voice. A'dran held a deep affection for his Fair. Every last troublemaking one of them. A flicker of pink and black drew his eye. Waif and Wraith joined Wander's circle. With the pink showing off her aerobatic skills with the blue, and the black keeping tabs on them, eyes whirling. Angry little thing. Despite being maimed at hatching and losing sight in one eye, Wraith was a constant guard over his sister. "Most of them are siblings."

A shriek of outrage made him sigh. Wrathful and Western were probably at it again. They'd calm down once Wonder glared at them. She quite liked her fair being in order. Because if they were in disarray, then they would distract from her. A'dran felt Winter flinch, tucking deeper into his hair. Hopefully when she was bigger and healthier she would be able to fly with her siblings without fear of injury.

@Captain

PMEmail
^
Captain
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 12:22 AM
Wherlingmaster

216 Posts
163 Marks

"Eleven? Shards..." Inali paused in her scrubbing to look up and try to count the fair as it darted and swirled, but that was a difficult task with them all moving. Plus, it was cold. She wanted this to be done as quickly as she could, so she dropped the attempt to count and focused on the scrubbing. "And a dragon. That's impressive, you know." She paid the compliment with a nod. It sounded sincere, at least.

"It seems everyone has one or two. I feel rather left out without at least one of my own." She sighed wistfully and shrugged it off. No time for that. "Would you mind giving me a leg up so I can reach your neck better?" She asked Wobath, stepping back to look up to him.

"It's easier than runners," she commented to A'dran as she returned to scrubbing. "Dragons can tell you where itches easier than they can. Plus: No hair." She still had runner hair in most of her clothes. It seemed to weave its way in and never leave fully. The fact that she retreated to the stables every chance she got didn't help.

She scrubbed in silence for a moment, carefully following the pre-assigned instructions and pausing now and then to inspect the hide carefully for any spots she might have missed. "Thank you for not treating me like I don't know what I'm doing. I mean, I'm still learning, of course... But you'll get some that act like because I'm holdborn I'm an idiot."

@Catsitta

Captain's Crew
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Dec 11 2017, 01:09 AM
Weyrlingmaster

783 Posts
0 Marks

Not quite used to compliments, particularly from the female species, A'dran pointedly looked away, ignoring the faint hint heating of his face. The chill in the air nipped at skin, masking any evident flush...he hoped. Was it impressive? He ran his thumb over a rough patch of skin that needing extra oiling. Becoming a rider in the wings would be an achievement, but what skill or trait made firelizards stick to him like bugs to sweetbread? Perhaps she meant the fair's size or variation. Plenty here at Dalibor had larger fairs and some boasted an array of colors as broad as him. The creatures were everywhere. Or maybe he was just overthinking this. Two Turns ago, his reaction might be similar to hers now. With less open admiration and less casual conversation.

'Mind lowering your neck closer to the water, Buddy?' The brown would have done so at the Candidate's request alone, but when A'dran bid him, he lowered himself so that his throat was submerged. 'Thanks, Wobath.'

'Be mindful, Mine. No need to hurry because you have a helper.'

'It is cold. We've had this conversation. Standing in the lake during winter is unpleasant.'

The brown chose not to comment.

"I didn't have even one firelizard myself until a Turn ago," A'dran said as he shifted along the brown's hide to make sure he did not miss any spots. And Wish was a clingy cyan if given half a chance. Only Wonder's presence kept the eldest flit from wrapping around his neck like a scarf during all the waking candlemarks of the day, and then sleeping on his face at night. In fact, he knew it would not be too long before she perched on him. It was rare that she didn't at least try to roost on his shoulder whenever he spoke to someone, as if to say, this one is mine.

Having only minimal experience with runners--primarily from Candidacy--he did not have much to say on the matter of caring for them. They were different. But they were also a fraction of the size of most dragons. So instead of replying, he shrugged and made a dismissive noise. Though Inali was determined to make conversation it seemed because she spoke again. This time, thanking him. A'dran cast a quizzical look at the Candidate, "Everyone's a sharding dimglow. You're no exception." Neither was he. People were just adept at being idiots. "And why would I care or know if you're holdborn?" He rolled his eyes at the thought of such things being written on their faces.

He could...understand where she was coming from.

As a holdborn himself, he spent the past few Turns of his life utterly out of depth. First when he dragged into the life of a Trader and then again when he had to adapt to a weyr. "All I care about is not having to stand in this lake until my legs fall off."

@Captain

PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates