April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (11) « First ... 9 10 11  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Tempest in a Teapot, AU:18 {Coppertop Hatch}
Rowana
 Posted: May 12 2018, 11:41 AM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

906 Posts
1537 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Jaq'n quickly started feeding Capellioth the smallest pieces of meat he could find, so she wouldn't choke. The little pink was definately tired, but happy and comfortable as she snuggled into him and concentrated on eating. He glanced at Torena as he worked, blushing a little with embarrasment. "I'm sorry," he said, sincerely, both to her and his dear dragon. He had let that red get to him and had lost focus on everything else. He should have done what he'd been trained and followed directions. Or at least stayed put on the off chance he needed to be found. It wasn't like the other Healer's hadn't been there to help. He'd probably get an earful late from his new Weyrlingmaster too.

Is alright, Capellioth crooned sleepily, still solidly munching. Found you, myHeart. That's what matters.

Then he shared a warm, grateful look to Torena as well. "Would you?" he replied to her generous offer. He still had his hands full with feeding and Capellioth was sandy from all her running around. "I think she'll be alright," he added, stroking the little dragon gently. "I think...I think she's just tired." He frowned a little worriedly. He had been trained in people Healing, not dragons. Maybe he aught to ask they're Weyrlingmaster over to check, just to be sure. He didn't want to risk anything happening to his dragon now that they were together.

Is alright, Capellioth crooned sleepily, still solidly munching. Found you, myHeart. That's what matters. Jaq'n relaxed and beamed at her. This was happening, he realized again. This was really happening. And she was more precious and beautiful than he could have imagined.

"I just..." he choked, looking back at Torena. "I can't believe this is happening. After all this time. She's so much more than I ever hoped for. And you too! You're dragon is beautiful." He smiled at Halenciath fondly. "What's her name? This little one is Capellioth."

@Ree
PM
^
Ree
 Posted: May 12 2018, 09:11 PM
Candidate

N/A

40 Posts
85 Marks

He seemed genuinely repentant. She’d already forgiven him of course – and come to the conclusion that there wasn’t really anything to forgive. Yes, he’d endangered himself and probably his dragon, but he couldn’t have known. It couldn’t be helped. So, when he spoke, she shook her head. ”It doesn’t matter now. You’re here. And we get to be in the same class – so there’s some more good to happen today.” She was sure that didn’t even come close to erasing the loss of the day, but that was simply life with dragons. Becoming a rider was a risk. Learning to be a rider was a risk. Being out there fighting thread was a risk. They could all die at any moment, and – while they could minimize their risks by being smart – it was a fact that they’d just have to accept about life now.

For now, though, those who remained were safe. Tired, possibly in pain, and possibly bloodied, but safe. There were healers, and then there’d be a feast…would they be moving to the weyrling barracks tonight or would they be allowed to sleep for one final night in their candidate quarters? This had all happened around bedtime, after all.

She pushed those thoughts out of her mind. She needed to focus on the present. S’vor would let them know what was to be done when it was time.

He accepted her offer of help, and Torena got started, rubbing the oil along her back and wings to start with. She didn’t want to work too close to the pink’s head, and possibly alter the flavor of her food. Meanwhile, Halenciath stepped forward to sniff at the pink. On any other day, she might take offense that Hers was paying so much attention to another dragon, but she could see and sense as well as anyone that her clutch-sister had taken too long to find Hers. Her situation may not be dire any longer, but this would still count as an emergency in her mind, and thus Torena’s focus on the pink would be deemed acceptable.

Now he expressed worry over his dragon, and she shook her head. ”Now that she has you, she’ll recover.” She had to – Jaquin was too compassionate to neglect her. “She’s eating, and I think that’s a good sign. If you want to take her to a dragon healer once we’re all released just to make sure she’ll be okay, that could only help. I’ll go with you, if you decide to do that.”

He spoke again, saying he couldn’t believe it was happening. She smiled, turning from him to Halenciath. ”Seems like we waited forever, but it was more than worth every moment. Our dragons are perfection.” Halenciath seemed to swell at that. She had every right to – Torena had seen at least most of the dragonets, and she’d lucked out by Impressing the prettiest. Of course, that pink was also lovely. Jaquin was lucky, too.

Then he asked her name, and she smiled. ”This is Halenciath.” She turned back to the boy. ”Your name’s been shortened now, right? What are you going by from now on?” It was weird that males got their names elided while females kept theirs intact…she might have liked her own rider name. She could reasonably guess at what it might have been, though (T’na? T’ena? Something along there…), so at least she wouldn’t be left wondering.
@Rowana

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: May 13 2018, 02:41 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

623 Posts
255 Marks

@Ruin, @Captain, @summerrain, @Jenn, @RhiaBlack, @Boo, @Harbinger, @Eric, @Catsitta, @Aerona, @Ives, @Zane, @Tobes, @Sakoru, @Ree, @Blot, @Rowana

S'vor

He didn't miss Orissa's bonding to the viridian wher, and when her eyes sought him out with his new weyrlings, she would find him looking back at her. He'd been keeping an eye out for her, regardless of his mixed feelings on who, precisely, she was in relation to him. He had expected her to Impress a dragon. Perhaps a green, like his own. Yet he had thought her worthy of a sub-queen, he found, when he thought on it. She had the spirit for it. He'd been surprised that his...daughter...had been chosen by a wher. Yet it was a sub-king color. Was he really so surprised? Life had a way of doing the unexpected, didn't it? He had never expected to Impress as he had. He had wondered at her decision to Stand for both dragons and whers. Yet it had been none of his business to suggest what she do. Her life, her choices. Still, he offered a tight smile, nonetheless. Was she disappointed? She had looked so taken aback by her Bonding, that perhaps she had not actually thought of the possibility a wher might actually choose her instead of a dragon. Life as a handler was very different from that as a rider. He hoped she wasn't disappointed...perhaps he would have a moment to speak to her at the hatching feast.

For now, the hatching had ended. The injured were being tended to, and he had twenty-six new Weyrlings. That was no small class for a newcomer Weyrlingmaster. Still, Absinth was pleased as punch and he wasn't phased. He knew that Nia currently had no class of her own--though she might, in a couple of seasons. There were plenty of experienced riders or newly graduated who had just been through weyrlinghood and might want to pass on their experiences and help out. He didn't necessarily need the help...or he might. Looking at each weyrling as they drew near and began to feed their dragons, the diversity of the crowd was quite apparent. Once every one of them that could be with him, was--he imagined his second bronzeweyrling would be laid up in the infirmary for quite some time, and he would visit him there after these ones were settled--he addressed his new class.

"Congratulations. You are now weyrlings. The next eighteen months will be a very important time in the lives of you and your new partners. Let me assure you: they will not be easy. I intend to see you all graduated at the end of your time as weyrlings--each and every one of you." He looked out over them, making sure to let them know he saw each and every single one of them, and they were all included. "Everything is decided in this next turn and a half. You'll have to work together with your dragons and your class. You're all equals here, from the smallest pinkweyrling to the largest ironweyrling. Thread doesn't discriminate. Nor do I, and nor should you. Don't forget that. Lives can and have been lost in weyrlinghood. You'll depend on each other, and will be seeing each other each and every day. You'll learn to trust one another--with your very lives--even if you don't necessarily like one another. You might even wish each other would go drown in a lake. Yet that doesn't change the truth of it." He paused, letting that sink in. He would be focusing heavily on teamwork, and watching to see how the weyrlings interacted with one another. By the end of it, they would be a team, all of them. He meant to see to it, come shells or high water.

"All right then! Those of you who need to finish feeding your dragons, get to that. When the last of you is done, I'll lead you to what will be your new rooms for the next turn and a half. Once there, you are to oil your dragonets, and then let them nap. We have a feast in your honor tonight, weyrlings! I expect to see all of you who can make it, there. It is for you it's held, after all." It would be their first etiquette lesson, essentially--and his first chance to have a look at them interacting with others, and with their dragonets. He would be watching each and every one of them like a hunting bird, making mental notes--and some physical--and seeing what he was working with. He expected challenges--and relished them--yet he would, he knew, need to get to know all of them quite intimately if he was to help them be the best they could be when they graduated. Strengths, weaknesses, the whole package.

Absinth looked out over the sands, and then watched the weyrlings. There were many of them. It was not a small class. The green looked towards where Orissa was, with her wher. She had not expected that, perhaps, either. Still, at least Hers would not be too focused on one weyrling in particular. Perhaps that was for the best, the dark green dragon mused.

'We have our work cut out for us.'

Inclining her wedge-shaped head, the green agreed.

Yes. Yet they will be the finest weyrlings to ever graduate when we are done with them.

'No need for exaggeration. There will hopefully be many classes in our future. Yet I can't say I'm displeased the first is so large, and presents so many opportunities to learn and challenges to be had.'

You may change your tune after a turn and a half with these ones. Some troublemakers, I am sure.

S'vor grinned, and ran a hand through his hair, shrugging. They'd just have to see, wouldn't they?

@Ree, @Rowana

Taylei

Though she knew things such as this happened at hatchings, it was still not easy for Tay to watch from the sidelines when people were being hurt. There had been one death, that she could tell. No one had died at Rivath or Sanarth's hatchings, and yet they'd been considerably smaller, and only dragons. It seemed the bronze who'd done the most damage, and the red who had done likewise, were not going to be permitted to continue harming people or their fellow clutchsiblings. Still, even though in her heart the cyanweyrling knew what both copper clutchmothers did was necessary, she couldn't help it when a hand flew to her mouth as Laanasuth culled the red. She'd never seen such a thing, done, and when the words reached her, her eyes stung in the heat of the sands with salty tears. How horrible! How painful must that decision have been? How difficult an action to take? Whers often culled their hatchlings, if need be. Yet a dragon...this was the first she'd heard of it. She couldn't imagine the great copper dragon's pain. She would have so many drawings and pieces of art to do after this was all said and done.

Tay turned to Torena and nodded, biting her lower lip and lightly worrying at it a moment before she nodded yet again. She was right, of course. They had healers and guards, and there wasn't a thing they could do. Besides, they had their dragonets to worry about, now.

"It's so awful...I wish this was never a part of hatchings at all," she said softly, even as Luruenth lightly nudged her, attempting to cheer Hers up.

Hey, Listen! You have me now, and wasn't I the bestest of the best part of this hatching?

Tay cracked a smile, and nodded. It was true. This was why they Stood. Why they risked life and limb--and it seemed quite painfully literal, that thought!--being out on the sands. It was probably harder for those who hadn't Impressed. Those who had at least walked away with a dragonet by their sides--or wheret--and it made it all worth it. She'd been lucky to be one of the first to Impress, and escape harm. Others, not so much. Still, the rest of the hatching was not eventful, blessedly so. No more dragonets and wherets hatched out who went on the attack. Impressions--some surprising, others not--were made, and one by one, the new weyrlings and wherlings joined their respective 'masters.

The last individuals to Impress were a boy to a purple, and another to a pink. The hatching was over on both wher and dragon side. Truly over. The boy joined them, and spoke to Torena. Tay offered a smile, and then, when there was a moment in between the pair of them talking, offered,

"Congratulations! Your pink is precious, what's her name?" And then, before she could give her own, or her dragonet's, Luruenth piped up,

I'm Luruenth, and Mine is Taylei! I know who Capellioth is, but who're YOU?

Tay gave Jaq'n an apologetic smile It looked like Luru was going to be just as talkative as she was! She was sure they'd get on wonderfully. As the Weyrlingmaster spoke, she grew quiet, though--both her and Luruenth. They would have new rooms, it was true. She had nearly forgotten they'd no longer be in the barracks, and listened as he spoke. Once he was done, she felt Luruenth's sleepiness, and stifled a yawn. It was a good idea to go back to their rooms for a nap, wasn't it? She could have used one herself, after all the chaos on the sands!

@Eric

D'eon

It would seem the boy he'd wished good luck to had Impressed. To a black, like himself, no less. Funny how things worked out, really.

"Congrats, man. Knew you had it in you," he welcomed him, and then, "don't believe we've met. Dax--er--guess it's D'eon, now." Then, jerking his head at Bicorth, he added, "that one's Bicorth."

"Biiiiiiii-coooooor." D'eon cut a look at the black.

"You have to do that? What did I tell you 'bout it? It's just unnatural!" The black merely seemed to cackle, in his odd, chortling caw of a way. D'eon sighed, and then shrugged and looked back to Um'al. "Don't know what his deal is, sorry. Seems he thinks trying to talk is some kind of game or something." Indeed, the black did. He was quite impressed with himself, too.

Bicorth was busied eating, still, when the weyrlingmaster began his speech. Well, that was life, wasn't it? He figured he'd have a varying crowd of folks to work with, considering how many of them there were. He spared a quick glance at the lot of them, but really, it was what it was. Didn't matter if he knew or liked any of them, it was true. So long as he graduated at the end of it, that was all that mattered. He didn't favor the idea of the long, restrictive turn and a half. Yet he knew he could cut it, and so would do what it took to get through it. Might not hurt to team up with one or two of them, though. He didn't know any of them well, and it might be time to make some effort to get to.

@OPEN

V'lane

It seemed that the boy he'd met in the lower caverns and the Harper they had antagonized a bit had both Impressed. More ironic was that the other viridian, the first, had chosen that same boy. The weyrbrat was, in a word, a brat. Weyrling, now, V'lane was willing to bet marks he had not matured so much that he wasn't going to give their new weyrlingmaster a hard time. Reminded him of himself at that age, somewhat. V'lane's gaze sought out the young man who'd Impressed the bronze, and the one who'd Impressed the iron. The other bronze had Impressed to the young man who'd lost his leg. V'lane wasn't sure how he felt about that. He had ever sought to take the measure of those who Impressed the kings in his life. Yet, there was no rhyme or reason to it. They chose individuals of all kinds--many unexpected. Young, older, all personalities and types. Yet never himself. He didn't feel disappointment, as he thought he would have done, for having Impressed something other than the kings. Polasith was not incorrect. Nor had anyone else who'd Impressed and told him, been: the dragons always knew who they meant to choose. If the bronze was not the right match, it would have been, in a word, useless to him for what he hoped to achieve.

Of course I am right. I do apologize you waited for me, and yet the reason you were never chosen by a bronze nor iron, or any other dragon, is that you were mine all along.

V'lane considered that a brief moment. Could that have been true? That the reason the people who Impressed much later in life did so, was because somehow, there was a dragonet meant to be hatched that was theirs? Fate...he didn't believe in such a thing. Yet for some reason, he could not shake the feeling that in this, perhaps there was some truth. No matter. In a moment, S'vor was speaking to them. Their weyrlingmaster for the next turn and a half. The man was perhaps an inch or so shorter than he was, also blond, and while older, the two looked as though they might have been relatives--distant, perhaps. Yet they both had blue eyes, blond hair, similar builds and height. A minor distracting thought. The question was: was this man someone who could earn his respect? He rode green. That might have lowered V'lane's approximation of him, a little. Less so perhaps now, than before.

You are doing it again. Hide color does not measure the worth of a dragon.

V'lane narrowed his eyes and cast a sideways look at the viridian, who was chewing slowly and methodically, looking right back at him.

'So you've said. We'll see about that.'

Is that a challenge, V'lane? A tilted head, and a sense of smugness from the dragonet. He knew himself able to rise to that, and then some. He knew His knew it, too. He was just unwilling to admit he was wrong aloud, as of yet. Yet Polasith knew.

'Make what you will of it,' came the reply. Polasith did not bother to reply, as he knew, and V'lane knew, and always would.

OOC: Will do replies for those who did not Impress/Bond, and Shae, just awaiting a post in between as this one is long enough!
PMEmail
^
Eric
 Posted: May 13 2018, 07:23 PM
Weyrling

N/A

31 Posts
225 Marks

Um'al ducked his head in acknowledgment to D'eon.

Go ahead and smile, Vellinuth told Um'al. As if on command, Um'al did so as D'eon introduced himself... and then so did Bicorth.

"That's uh... a neat trick he's got," Um'al said as politely as he could, staring at the little black.

Vellinuth meanwhile was chortling with high amusement. Maybe I should try that some time, the dragonet said to both Um'al and Bicorth.

"Uh, it's okay Vellinuth. You don't have to," Um'al quickly exclaimed. "But uh, yeah. Nice to meat you D'eon. I'm..."

Um'al.

"Um'al now," he finished after a brief hesitation. It wasn't that he had forgotten, it just felt weird to suddenly have a different name after fifteen turns. "And Vellinuth likes games, so maybe these two will get along just fine."

I suspect we will, don't you agree Bicorth my brother?

A short while later, the Weyrlingmaster gave his speech. Being one of the very last dragons to Impress, Vellinuth was really only just getting started. Um'al listened as well as he could but he was starting to get a headache from all the excitement. Vellinuth pressed his small, warm body against Um'al's legs for comfort as he ate voraciously from Um'al's hand, not unlike a very large canine might receive treats on a walk.

@Ruriko
PM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: May 13 2018, 11:33 PM
Lady Holder

N/A

190 Posts
615 Marks

Shuli kept her face buried in her husband's chest, all her Lady training forgotten temporarily as Callum's soft touches and words soothed her horrified mind. Slowly, she regained her composure, and finally pulled her face free from Callum's embrace as he mentioned a new color of dragon. Looking out over the Sands once more, delicately wiping away any remaining tears that hadn't soaked into her Lord's tunic, she watched a much more quiet and much less violent hatching continue, including (as was mentioned) three beautiful new indigo dragons. The worst that happened was a rowdy red dragon dragging a female Candidate around like a toy, but her mother was able to control her soon enough, and she too Impressed to a male Candidate. Looking back up at Callum at his kind words, she smiled and kissed him softly, murmuring, "Thank you, my husband. I was overwhelmed... the stories I heard of dragon hatchings from the Harpers who visited me growing up mentioned some violence, but never... never that. I was... unprepared. I apologize if my outburst caused you any public embarrassment."

Though her words were apologetic, she saw no upset or annoyance in his eyes... only kindness and affection. Ignoring public propriety, Shuli did not sit up into her seat as her lessons told her a proper Lady should, instead lacing her fingers into Callum's and leaning over to nestle against his arm, her head leaning on his shoulder like a pair of young lovers instead of the Lord and Lady of a Hold. Maybe, thought Shuli, her dreams of true love weren't so out of her reach, after all...

@Ives

Max watched the hatching with concern, continuing to follow Oreanda and Osk as they fulfilled their duties. "I have heard the Harpers speak such, true, but I have never attended a dragon hatching before, nor have I ever met a red dragon, I have only seen them from a distance. Red whers are vicious and violent, true, but it is generally a more savage, wild violence... I have never before seen the violence of unbonded red dragons. It feels... more wicked, somehow. More deliberate." He shrugged, then, not able to truly put his feelings into words any better than that.

The rest of the hatching was almost a blur... so many dragons and whers moving to and fro across the sand among so many Candidates, it was hard to keep track, especially when he knew none of them personally. Then, a new dragon color... indigo. Well, there went the progress of whers catching up, the Miner thought with a wry smile. Suddenly, a massive blue wher had appeared nearby, and jumped into Oreanda's lap. He was not privy to the mental conversations that occurred between bronzehandler, bronze, and blue, but then... were those Impression rainbows in the blue's eyes? Impressed to who? Max felt nothing, and Oreanda already had a bronze... but then, she was gone, chasing the blue down to the feeding station. Had... had she just Impressed ANOTHER wher? Abandoned for the moment while the betahandler took care of her new ward, Max sat down and marveled... this woman was certainly full of surprises, wasn't she?

@Ruin

PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Pages: (11) « First ... 9 10 11 
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil