April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Until Dawn Breaks, WI:17 {Norla/Zel}
Catsitta
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 12:15 AM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks
Member Inventory: View

'Healer says rest. SmartMine not resting.'

'I will go to our room soon. I just want to eat first. They gave me permission to go to the dining hall to eat. I'm all better and ready for real food.'

'We should go to our room. You rest. Others bring SmartMine food. Mine deserves best!'

"No," Zel said aloud, chuckling and shaking her head. "I am going to the dining hall." The copper never left her side since she fell ill. After dragging Zel from bed and calling for Ijo, she remained a constant guardian as the plague ravaged the weyr. The worry and anger radiating from the queen when her fever broke was the strongest she ever felt from Zelsk. Loathing to feel helpless and ready to drag healers to her bedside until they woke her up, the copper worried herself into a strange state during those touch-and-go days in the infirmary. She cared deeply for Hers. And this snotty attitude came with that caring. At least awake Zel could temper that pushiness and soothe the agitation that had yet to fade entirely from the wher's mind. She would calm down once she knew Zel was fully recovered and truly safe. Until then...

If you fall flat on face, I will drag SmartMine back to healers den.

A small smile was Zel's only response. With her brother and classmates sent back to their quarters and the quarantine deemed done, her focus was on getting better. She needed to recuperate and chase away the tiredness that weighted her muscles. Only sleep and a proper meal could do that.

The weyrling turned a corner, almost at her destination, and paused. Coming away from the dining hall and right towards her was Alphahandler Norla. She hadn't encountered the woman in a one-on-one fashion since their 'interview' almost a Turn ago. When Zel had just arrived at the weyr in search of her brother, and was questioned about whether she planned to remain at Dalibor if she were to Impress. Sitting in that room, she never dared dream the gilded egg would contain her future partner.

Yet here she was...

My how the seasons passed.

She changed since then. Though whether the Alphahandler remembered her well enough from before to note the differences in posture and presence.

Zelsk, in her trademark fashion, stepped ahead of Zel to approach the pair. She exchanged pleasantries with the Weyrwoman when she was just a hatchling. Why should she balk at speaking with their esteemed Alphahandler? One had to make connections and alliances, and to do so, proper diplomacy was required. Dipping her head with respect, the copper offered a proper greeting to the higher ranking pair. Zel, realizing that she was just standing there like a dimglow, stepped forward to join her partner, giving the expected signals of respect.

Look well, Norsk. How are you and Yours?

Zel slid her gaze between the bronze and his handler. The easy way Zelsk just talked to others amazed her some days. She swallowed and met the older woman's eyes, "I hope we aren't in your way, Alphahandler." Her voice was soft but steady, a little edged from the coughing she did earlier in the sevenday.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 10:07 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

Leaving the dining hall she was thinking of all those she still needed to see in order to check up on them. Some of the newer wherlings as well as some of the older ones had fallen ill, those feeling better were first on her list. While she was aware Ijo was wholly on top of things she - and Norsk - felt it was part of their duty to follow up. Keeping up appearances and having an open door for all the handlers, wherlings, and candidates was high on her agenda. It hardly mattered to her that she hadn’t slept well since returning to Dalibor and she felt just as worn out as many of those she’d spoken to already; there was time for rest later. Norsk was resting well and eating normally again, she would make sure to take care of herself when there was time. Happy circumstance put her in the corridor at the same time as the copper wherling, who was one of the names on her list. A half smile tugged the right corner of her mouth upward, ”If you were in my way there’s more than enough room to walk around. Going for food? I’ll join you if you don’t mind.”

Zelsk do well? Eat well, be oiled when need? Hear Zelsk’s was sick, Nor-la was sick when in south. Good now. Tired. Zelsk’s good now? Canting his head to the left the bronze looked the copper over curiously to ensure she looked in good health. Content with what he saw he gave a low grumble of appreciation for the queen; when she was fully grown she would be even more magnificent than she was now and the bronze was eager to see her all grown up. Shifting her gaze briefly from the wherling to her bronze Norla arched a brow, Here you were lecturing me just the other day about being proper.

Always proper Norsk. Admire queen is good. No matter if new queen or old queen. Queens lay eggs, clutch new whers. Norsk’s wings shifted against his back and his stance shifted as if he was squaring himself up. His tone was slightly defensive but His didn’t have to worry, his interests for now lay only in ensuring the copper was healthy. Whatever other interests he may come to have in her would come later when it was more appropriate.

Turning around Norla began towards the dining hall again, though she had just eaten more klah couldn’t hurt matters any. ”How are you and your wher faring with all the illness spreading about? You were recently ill yourself, weren’t you?” Flourishing a hand she offered the lead to Zel and her copper. ”After you.”

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 11:22 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

"Yes. I was finally given leave to eat normally," Zel laid a hand on Zelsk's shoulder, absently skimming her metallic hide with the edges of blunted nails. She drew in a sharp, little breath at the Alphahandler asking to join her, but otherwise did not betray her surprise. "Of course, I do not mind at all. It's an honor." She thanked her mother for the one thing she did right when bringing up her and her siblings. She made sure they all had a proper education through the ballads, so that despite their station, they could speak clearly and were literate. In moments like these, she felt small. So very small. Wondering if she would ever hold the awe and respect of those around her...if she wanted to be watched with that kind of expectation. Then again, Zelsk had big dreams. Even now, not quite fully grown, she watched Norsk with calculated interest.

A faceted eye fixed on her and Zel let her breath escape in a soft sigh. One day she would be all that Zelsk needed her to be. The fact that she needed to grow some more was okay. One didn't turn from dutiful daughter of drudges to a leader over night. For now Zelsk would have to be satisfied with their position was prideseconds of their class. Come graduation, the real test of how far they came would begin.

SmartMine take good care of Zelsk, the copper preened.
Need to rest more. I say sleep. She walks to food. Zel fought against the urge to roll her eyes. I am glad Yours well now. No more sick-ness for Yours or Mine. Best that way. Too young to concern herself with the matters of mates or clutches, Zelsk admired the bronze that stood before her. He was a high ranked King. Important. Loyal. She did not know him well enough to make proper observations on his intelligence or attitude. These were things one needed to know when choosing the best way to gain their favor. It would be foolish and alarming to attempt any kind of push, because she had neither the size nor the standing to overcome him and demand his respect. And why use force when words worked wonders?

A chance to talk to him would be ideal indeed.

'Careful, Zelsk,' Zel warned. This wasn't a classmate. She doubted Norsk would be impressed by her simply existing as a Queen like some did.

'Always careful. Unlike you.'

'Sassy today, aren't you?'

"We are fairing well, considering," Zel said, starting to walk again towards the dining hall. "I...from what I was told, I was one of the luckier ones." She didn't progress past stage 2 and recalled nothing between laying down for a nap because she was feeling feverish and waking up in the infirmary to the knowledge she survived some kind of plague...Amongst the survivors, she was fortunate indeed. "Someone also mentioned that this one here was a bit of a handful when I was ill." The copper, who was keeping pace with her, huffed, head lifted high. She only growled a little...She kept her composure and did not drag one of them across the infirmary by the back of their trousers.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Dec 12 2017, 04:36 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

Food good for building strength. Zelsk’s smart like Zelsk smart. Food then rest. Both done, have feeling better in no time. Norsk offered as he paused in order to allow the copper and the wherling with her the lead position. Entering the dining hall he waited until Zelsk had chosen a place to settle before he picked a spot nearby where he could rest on his haunches without being in the way. Norla did the same with the young woman bonded to the copper, letting her pick the table and taking a seat once Zel had done so. Nodding her head as she recounted her time being ill Norla piped up, ”All of those who survived are counted among the lucky ones. We lost a fair amount of good people to… well whatever it was. I’ve heard some of the healers whisper about it being a plague but they’ve yet to give it an official name. I didn’t return from the south until recently as I was waiting to be cleared. At least we can both rest easy knowing we cannot catch it again - they seemed fairly confident in that when I was with the healers at Grove.”

A pitcher of klah was set on the table in front of her and she cast a knowing smile at the woman who had brought it. Perhaps she needed to consider drinking something else from time to time, so as not to be so predictable to the kitchenstaff. Pouring herself a mug full she offered to pour some for Zel as well, ”And your brother… forgive me but his name escapes me. Did he also get sick?” She knew the candidate only from their interview two seasons before when he had joined the sands in hopes of Impressing a wher from the wild clutch. Rather than Impressing he had been left standing, while his sister Impressed a formerly unseen color. Glancing over at the copper Norla grinned, ”I can’t imagine her being a handful at all. From all accounts I’ve heard she’s been nothing but a true lady.” Winking her grin drew into more of a smirk which disappeared behind the rim of her mug as she took a long drink of klah.

”Well then, now that we’ve revisited recent events how are wherling lessons going?” Reports came in from Ijo about the class but they were of course only his reports. It was likely some of his students felt slightly differently about how things were going, about their place in the Weyr, and it was important to Norla to know this. Especially in regards to the Weyr’s young queen wher. ”Have you made plans for when you graduate next turn?”

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Dec 16 2017, 07:49 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

Norsk agrees with me. Zelsk was quick to point out. Hers may not want to admit to it, but she had a stubborn streak herself. Beneath the quietness and obedience was a rigid strength that the copper reveled in revealing. Hers could bend, and adaptability was a good trait, but that ability to stand her ground when pushed was a marvelous thing to see. And she would keep pressing until Hers' realized that she would be better for it if she pursued her dreams with the same tenacity that she protected her beliefs. He is good King.

Zel refrained from sassing the queen, 'He is. Or he and His would not be the Alphahandler pair.' To her surprise, said pair allowed them to take the lead to the dining hall. It reminded her of her encounter with Rayna. Even after all this time, walking ahead of leadership did not settle well in her stomach. Old habits made her hands twitch and her shoulders ache, her thoughts skittering back-and-forth, demanding that she respect her superiors by conceding to them in all matters. Save for a flicker of uncertainty that crossed her features when Norla could not see her face, Zel pressed ahead, as if this was normal. As if she didn't feel the creeping compulsion to join the kitchen staff and drudgeworkers that flittered around the room. Zelsk, of course, had no such qualms. She nodded her respect and thanks to Norsk and plucked ahead of the group, striding into the dining hall as if she owned the weyr itself.

The copperwherling pair both gravitated towards a table near the entryway. Zelsk found a spot close by where she could sit or sprawl and not impede the staff. She watched the bronzepair and Hers with overt interest. Why hide the fact that she was observing them? Zel sat down and did her best to do the opposite. She focused entirely on Norla. Straight-backed with her hands folded on her lap, she waited for the older woman to join her. Green eyes widened at the mention of the Alphahandler being one of those in the South. "You were part of the expedition?" Then again, it made sense. Being on the front lines like that, seeing the illness start and ravage the people around you, no one aware of how it started or if it would end...it had to be terrifying. Even more so than for those that contracted the illness in the weyr, alerted by the survivors of the expedition that you would either live or die once you contracted it. And a flip of a mark could predict your survival.

She broke her stare at Norla when a pitcher of klah was set on the table. A cup would not hurt. It might just be what she needed to chase the lingering weariness out of her bones. So Zel accepted the drink when offered, sipping the steaming cup. "Hm?" She paused. Her brother? She set the cup on the table and held it betwixt her palms, "Zaephor. He...he did get sick as well. Though he has recovered, thankfully." Zelsk made an audible noise that earned her an arched brow from Zel. The copper had an interesting opinion of her brother. One that likely stemmed from her not wanting to share Zel's attention with him...at all. At least, not until he was less 'unhappy and selfish', as she called him. He would only hold Zel back as he was right now.

"That she is. A little lady holder," Zel replied, smiling slyly down at her klah. Zelsk knew that Hers was teasing her, but did not balk at the implication. Lady Holders got what they wanted and people did what they said. Nothing wrong with that! "Lessons? I believe we are performing adequately. Our wherlingmaster had expressed to us no complaints."

Zel and Zelsk best in class! Seconds with Syrsk and His.

Humility. What was that?

"Zelsk is a touch more confident in our progress." Zel sipped a little more of her klah, glad that the uneasiness in her gut had settled. "But, I do hope that when we graduate, we can do our part in the Prides." She didn't know why, but she added quietly, as if it were a secret that she never dared share before, "I know that Zelsk wants to do more than be a priderunner. I...I believe she will always be happiest pursuing more in life. So...so I think we will be trying our hardest to become Seconds of a Pride some day, and not just of our class." And after that, they'd pursue becoming Firsts and whatever laid beyond that. Zel would be fine as a priderunner. But even she could not deny the desire to achieve, to serve her weyr in any capacity that she could. She liked responsibility. As did Zelsk.

Suddenly, her stomach growled.

Perhaps it was time to ask about that food.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 07:27 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

”Yes, Norsk and I went to assist Grove Weyr in their endeavor to map out the jungles around them. We found plenty of useful resources but also must have disturbed something in the overgrown jungle that led to so many of us falling ill. I recovered well enough.” It had never been touch and go for the bronzehandler, not in the sense it had been for one of the Prideleaders that had joined them in the expedition south. Vessa had been one of the first to nearly die - a troublesome thought. Though she had few friends she was fond of the greenhandler in her own way, it would have hurt to lose her. As the copperwherling continued on Norla settled in and listened while sipping her klah idly.

There was something different about the younger woman, assuming Norla’s recollection from the interview she’d sat for turns before was correct. While she couldn’t put her finger on it entirely she contemplated the change while listening intently. A sip of hot klah led to another as she nodded along to the woman’s words. Finally she set her mug down, cradling it between her hands as she looked thoughtful, ”I’m sure you’ll both be happy to know there is always room for eager priderunners within the program. With enough rigor I daresay you’ll both make fine seconds as well; perhaps even prideleaders with enough time under your belts.” Not that time was a strict requirement - some had the gumption to lead while others did not. It became apparent through drills and falls, she knew a greenhandler who had barely arrived at Dalibor before being promoted to second and now she was leading her own Pride.

Zelsk and Hers do good in lessons. Be good seconds? Norsk was far from the type who liked to boast about himself and his own accomplishments, but he had found over the turns that females - particularly those whose birth ranked them higher than others - were quite fond of it. They enjoyed discussing things they were good at, and he was happy to oblige them.

Tapping her fingers against her mug Norla arched a brow, ”Have you given much thought to how your wher will do with a clutch? There are few who have no real maternal instincts, so to speak.” In no way meaning to imply she thought the copper would fail as a clutch mother she simply was trying to gauge the other woman’s thoughts on the matter. Thankfully she would never know the frustrations of dealing with a sometimes moody female while she grew a clutch within her belly. Then to have to stay on the sands while it hardened until they hatched - Norla was eternally grateful she had impressed a male rather than a female. ”She is critically important to the future of the wher program, the fighters would never be able to lay a clutch as large as we expect she might as a queen.” With so many lost to the plague and transfers they needed a large clutch or two to bolster their numbers.

One of the kitchenworkers clearing a table nearby stopped over to ask about food. ”A meatroll or two would be nice,” though she had just eaten she had taken the habit of not turning down food when it came - a holdover from her life on the isles she might never fully outgrow. Looking to Zel she smiled, ”If you’re hungry for a proper meal don’t hold back on my account.”

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 08:25 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

"T-thank you."

'Why act surprised? It true.'

'You are lucky Norsk is humoring you and that Norla isn't laughing in our faces.'

'If they laugh at duty and ambi-tion...they not good Alphapair. They good pair.' The Copper curled her foreclaws and tilted her snout up, preferring to revel in Norsk's praise than lingering in Hers' silly doubts, I think so. Norsk think too? Make good Seconds.

As the wherling was trying to keep a straight face, Norla asked about her feelings on the queen's primary duty as a metallic female.

Zelsk as a clutchmother. Zel had to admit, she never thought too long on the subject. Runs and eggs were a part of a Queen's biology, but as Norla stated, not all had a mothering nature. She stared at the cooling klah, thinking, considering. And then, she nodded. "I have little reason to believe Zelsk will do poorly with a clutch. She is too possessive to let something that is hers be left neglected." Zel twisted the mug and skimmed a fingertip along the lip, her mouth thin with thought. Possessive and perfectionistic. Neither were traits that one could call maternal in nature. But given how much she demanded of others and herself, Zel suspected that the copper would want to excel at this duty as well. A queen's ire one might see if they doubted her ability to do whatever it was she strove to do.

'What is Mine is Mine. Clutchsibs. Allies. Mates. Children. MINE.' Zel chuckled softly at the gruff declaration from her bonded. The copper seemed to soften as she added, 'Always mine.' There was deep respect and fondness for those that were encircled by her sense of duty and respect. Ollisk and Ollivander, Syrene and Syrsk--they were closest to her, beloved and greedily possessed. Lysask bore her curiosity and she sought to guide him in return for his favor, even if His was unlikely to trust her and Hers. Beyond them were the handlers, riders and crafters they met and interacted with. Ijo and Isk especially were looked to with deep trust, and likely always would be given their mentorship from hatchday onwards. She saw them all as Hers in some manner. Whether they knew it, wanted it or accepted it. She didn't care. Because it was part of her duty to do all that could to garner their favor, be it through adoration or fear.

"Hm. A small amendment to that. I think she would try to eat anything that stood between her and attending her clutch."

Zel laid the cup firmly on the table. She was well aware that Zelsk would clutch more than any fighter could hope to bear. The 4 healthy wherets bore by a cyan earlier in the Turn was the best situation one could hope for with a fighter. Subqueens tended to do better. But it was likely Zelsk would clutch twice that, if not more.

The arrival of a worker made her look up. Food. Right. She came here for a filling meal, much to the Copper's annoyance. Quietly, she gave her order, requesting a scattering of different foods, including meatrolls, tubers and whatever type of stew they had brewing in the pot today. She'd figure out what would settle best in her stomach through a little trial and error.

"Um...Alphahandler..." Zel tapped a nail on the edge of the table. "Do you have an idea of how long I might have after graduation before Zelsk will run?" Every wher was different, some running often and others rarely at all. But queens clutched each time they ran, and she had a creeping feeling that with the numbers so low after the plague that instinct might kick in rather early, which meant this conversation would be relevant quite soon. Of course, her asking this question earned a curious look from the copper. She didn't think it mattered. If her ichor bid her to Run, she would Run. No need to think to deeply on the matter.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Jan 28 2018, 12:18 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

Jostling his head up and down in a slow nod Norsk gave a soft grunt, Sure be good for many things. Strong wher. Strong queen. Settling more he laid his head upon his forelegs, still keeping an eye upon the copper but in a far more relaxed position. Should the need arise for him to jump into action he would be ready but for now things were quiet and calm. If Zelsk wished to speak to him he had no doubts in his mind that she would, and of course he would oblige her.

Conversation between the wherling and handler shifted to clutches and Runs - both of which interested the bronze but he was hardly a crass individual. There were seasons between now and when it would truly matter to the bronze; others might try and warm the female up to them ahead of time but he was respectful of her age and current rank. When it was time he doubted he would have issues proving himself to the queen and even if she chose another the Weyr would still be better for it. Flexing his claws against the stone floor he glanced up at Norla before settling again.

”It is good to hear she will do well with a clutch, not that I’m entirely surprised to hear it.” Fingers played against her mug as she spoke, lifting it briefly to take another sip before resting it once more on the table. To the wherling’s question she offered a soft smile followed by a sympathetic shrug, ”There’s yet to be a wher that I’ve heard of, especially a queen, that’s reached maturity before eighteenth months so at least you know she’ll be chaste until your graduation day. Wouldn’t that be something if she decided to Run during your graduation feast?” Some light teasing - it was highly unlikely the copper would do so; though it was not outside of the realm of possibilities she supposed. ”Outside of that I’ve really no clue. Some whers go weeks, months, even turns before feeling the urge to mate. If you’re afraid that you won’t be ready for all that comes with a Run and you’ve a strong bond with her she likely won’t feel pressed to Run until you can handle it.” Reassuring the younger woman she sat back some when the kitchen worker arrived with their food.

Taking a bite from one of the meatrolls she slowly chewed and swallowed before continuing, ”One of the whers to Run in the past season was eight turns old. Of course the way I hear it she just didn’t fancy Running sooner, had nothing to do with her handler.” Another few bites were taken of her meatroll before she put it down in favor of her klah. Finishing off the mug she poured another cup full for herself and peered across the table at Zel. ”How do you think you will handle caring for her as she’s watching over a clutch? Does her eventual first Run concern you?”

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Jan 28 2018, 01:33 AM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

Run during the graduation feast? Oh Faranth, that would be embarrassing! Zel understood and accepted what weyr life entailed for people who Impressed shortly after she accepted the Search. She wasn't a terrified, wilting flower or a naive little girl. Nor did she have romantic fantasies of a committed relationship with a spouse and a bushel of kids. She just...was't quite sure exactly how a Run would effect her. Her thoughts flickered, memories of old lectures and lessons trickling through. Some people arranged partners for Runs and Flights, be they friends or lovers. Others locked themselves away and waited it out. Though many, she heard, simply let instincts lead the way, taking to bed the bonded of the winner. She had no one she was inclined to make arrangements with and wasn't overly disturbed by the prospect of simply letting nature take its course and kicking out her bedmate the next day. She wasn't a part of a Hold anymore. It wasn't taboo.

However, all that considered, she did not want to celebrate graduation by hopping into bed with some handler she didn't know. Or--her eyes flicked to the bronze Zelsk was chattering with, before returning to Norla--someone she did know. Hopefully the copper would have the good sense to wait at least a day.

'I could help find SmartMine good King to keep.'

'Good King? Wait. No. No you're not. Drop that idea right now.' Last thing she needed was for her wher to start accessing the suitability of Zel's 'prospective mates'. Because with her luck, around graduation time, she would have a list of faces and names and offer to bespeak them on her behalf in order to produce optimal offspring. And kids were something she wasn't planning on having any time soon.

'If you want best, demand best.' Zelsk returned her attention to the bronze as if she just stated the most obvious thing in the world.

Zel swallowed a mouthful of klah to wet her throat, "I...I can hope she chooses a better day than Graduation. That'd be quite the...scene." Except the queen liked being in the center of attention. "But I do not think there is anything that would stop Zelsk from running. However long she waits is up to her own readiness." Maturity was still a ways away for the copper, so for now her concerns around Kings was mostly social as opposed to reproductive. They were important to impress and curry favor with, their shining hides a hint at ambitions they might share with her. It was always good to know important creatures (human and dragonkin alike).

She began to pick apart her food when Norla directed their talk back to the theoretical clutching itself. "Me? I think I will be the only one who can tolerate her when she has a clutch on the Sands," Zel said, a light hint of humor gracing her words. She could picture it now, the copper sending her off across the weyr to meet some ridiculous demand, only to be scolded for leaving the Sands at all. She cleared her throat, sobering from that moment of levity. "It'd be a lie to say that her first run doesn't concern me. Much can go wrong between when her hide starts to glow and the wherets bond. Better to be prepared and informed than aimless."

Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best. Expect life to hand you something in the middle.

Not the most optimistic outlook, but a realistic one.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Feb 19 2018, 08:54 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

Content to enjoy her meatroll and klah the bronzehandler listened as the copperwherling spoke, nodding slowly at a few key points. Norsk looked over the copper when she spoke to him once more and snorted softly, Be best and inspire best from others. Way Norsk tries be. Zelsk be good at inspiring too, Norsk thinks so. As she finished off her mug of klah Norla pressed her lips together in a thin line. ”Yes, there is plenty that can go wrong. There will of course be a number of whers on guard duty to help ensure the clutch is safe.”

Looking at the copper her expression softened slightly, ”Not to say Zelsk would not do a fine job of that herself.” Lifting her eyes back to the young woman she continued, ”But things can, and have, happened in the past. We take these things very seriously. Surely you recall seeing extra patrols for the clutch you Impressed from. She looks healthy, well cared for. As she grows with eggs, whenever that may be, extra washing and oiling will keep her hide in good shape. It is prudent to have some worries but I would not worry too much now. It could be turns away before she Runs.

Finishing off her meatroll she rolled her shoulders in a circle, stretching slightly as she regarded the woman and her wher. ”Whers have been Running and laying clutches for turns and turns. I have no doubt you will both do well when it is your time. I look forward to seeing her hatchlings whenever her time comes to lay a clutch.”

@Catsitta

PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Feb 19 2018, 10:26 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

"How could I forget?" It wasn't every day one was interrogated by the Alphahandler at an odd hour of the night. Many people flooded in the weyr in the wake of a queen egg, and it was Norla's duty to make sure everyone in that hatching cavern would stay put should they bond. Losing the wild queen to someone who planned on Transferring away at their first chance would have been detrimental. On top of that, there were whispers of...less savory reasons for extra security. Dalibor lost dragon eggs to Traditionalists, from what she heard, and keeping those six unhatched whers safe was key to bolstering the waning strength of the prides. The foundation of Grove hit hard.

Zel nodded as she ate. Right. Norla was right. Despite her worries, it could be Turns before Zelsk ever considered Running. Just because she reached maturity didn't mean she would dive right into clutch laying. And when she did decide it was time, there were plenty of people looking to keep her offspring safe. "I...Thank you, Alphahandler. I hope to prove your faith in us well founded." She too was a hint curious about the kind of wherets Zelsk might mother. Would they be unmitigated terrors upon the sand or as calm as her own siblings? She hoped for calm.

Norsk speak true. Act best if want best, so others want to be best. It is important.

Act best, if want best eh? Lead by demonstration. Norsk had a good head between his shoulders. Zelsk was mercilessly clever. Zel was almost certain that if they left the pair to their own devices, they could figure out how to topple Lords from their stations. Theoretically.

@Ivy

PMEmail
^
Ives
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 11:09 AM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1418 Posts
1180 Marks

Studying the younger queenhandler as she ate Norla continued to nurse her mug of klah until a soft pop nearby alerted her to Renly’s presence. The blue perched along the back of her right shoulder, nuzzling in close so he could chatter something meant just for her. Along with his chattering came a number of images - again just for Norla. Nodding her lips pressed together in a thin line as her face fell into a mask of thoughtfulness. A few moments passed before she nudged the blue with her cheek in order to see him airborne once more and her eyes fell back upon Zel. ”There’s no reason to thank me for speaking the truth. I’m sure you’ll both do just fine.”

Though it was obvious that her firelizard had come to share something important with her she continued to drink from her mug. No point in letting good klah go to waste. Norsk stood and shuffled some as he stretched, bowing his head to the copper. Look forward to see Zelsk again. Need be going now. Ah, that must be her cue. Draining her mug of its contents she set it down on the table while moving to stand. ”I’m sorry to cut our talk short, something has come up that requires my attention.” A half smile followed as she looked between the wherling and her wher, ”If you have any more questions you know where to find me. Enjoy the rest of your meal and then get some rest, no sense pushing yourself too hard too soon.” With that they were on their way out of the dining hall, not in a rush though certainly not dragging their feet either with the bronze leading the way.

@Catsitta

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil