April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Frost Incoming, {Rayna//Arlya} AU:18th 11th
Boo
 Posted: Apr 27 2018, 07:42 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3125 Posts
2570 Marks
Member Inventory: View

There was a clutch hardening on the sands. Two in fact. Every day the eggs looked closer and closer to hatching. There would also be another new arrival. She'd heard very little information about the Fighter riding Wingsecond that would be joining them beyond just that information. High Reaches had already interfered in their business once by sending Jali in the first place, it would not be unreasonable to think that they would be considering how they might best use this particular situation to their benefit. Rayna didn't like to think of herself as a paranoid individual but this whole situation wasn't helping. After all, the Weyrs had once descended on Dalibor and forced the retirement and transfer of Avalle, who was to say they wouldn't try something again? Elius padded before her, often accompanying her on her various tasks. The feline was rather affectionate and Rayna found that if she left him alone too long she was more likely to come back to a destroyed Weyr, reminiscent of the days when Couineth had thrown the odd tantrum or two.

Of course, the rational side of Rayna knew they'd done that in exceptional circumstances but the part most influenced by Couineth screamed in protest to the feeling of interference. They would be forced to accept this transfer and the only solace Rayna held was that the rider was not one High Reaches would have happily lost. No, they were a Wingsecond and that amounted to something she supposed. After checking on the stores, Rayna approved further days of numbweed preparations. They'd faced no issues with tithes at all since the Lord Holders of Pern had sent new blood to Crescent and Western. Until some disaster once again befell Dalibor, things were running fairly smoothly in spite of Laanasuth's flight.

It's time for my beauty treatment.
The gold rather unceremoniously landed in the lake, sending water splashing to the shore in a wave, something that rather excited some of the children hanging around the edges of the lake, their shrieks of laughter ringing across the Bowl.
I haven't forgotten.
Really? Then why were these left behind?
Rayna couldn't help but smile and look at the sweetsand, rags and Sherbie that Couineth was now carefully placing on the banks of the lake.
I was going to go back for them.

Rayna dressed herself down and then waded into the cool water. The chill of Autumn had not yet set in meaning that the warmth of the lake was not cancelled by the cold air. However, she would also be in the water for quite some time so, there was that. Sherbie got to work washing whilst Elius yawned and lay down in a warm spot, content to watch the movements of the pillie with his tail flicking back and forth. In moments like these, the worries that threatened to bubble up inside were quelled... If only a little. No doubt others would soon join, it was about time for riders to bathe their dragons. Rayna tried to do it at roughly the same time as others.

@Rowana

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 27 2018, 10:43 AM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

906 Posts
1537 Marks

If there was one thing to be said for stepping down in rank, Arlya now had more time for herself than she had had in some time. She still had Wingsecond duties, but those paled in comparison with all she had managed as Jr Weyrleader. Granted, much of it hadn’t been the most exciting. Updating records, managing wings and transfers, attending public functions; she wouldn’t say any of that had necessary been fun. But she and Xerocleth hadn’t pursued the position for fun. They had taken it as a matter of duty and pride to keep Dalibor safe.

But now that was done and Arlya wasn’t quite sure what to do with herself. She still added Z’dyn and Rayna as needed until her replacement arrived, but that wouldn’t last long. After that she was free to pursue whatever took her fancy. Being idle had never sat well with her and she did her best while working towards a goal. She could try for Wingleader when one opened up, but she found the need to drop down to a lower wing unappealing. Achieving Weyrleader again was unlikely too, giving Xerocleth’s adament refusal to chase Laanasuth again and Couineth had never shown any interest in fighters before.

So for the first time in a long time, Arlya found herself with nothing to strive for. It was an odd realization and almost unsettling. Maybe once the new Jr Weyrleader came that would change. They certainly had their work cut out for them. Arlya did not envy them and not was she feeling particularly welcoming or charitable. At least she shouldn’t be required to speak to them much. Unless the rumors of them being placed in Z’dyn’s wing turned out to be true.

This morning though, it was time to take advantage of the nice weather to give Xerocleth a good bath. He had been putting in extra training to work off his emotions and a bath was just the thing to relax him further. It was soon clear the weren’t the only ones with the idea though.

Arlya hesitated. She had grown to like Rayna in the four turns they had worked together. She had been accepting and welcoming and Arlya has found her surprising easy to talk to. But now Arlya wasn’t sure where they stood. Rayna was the Weyrwoman after all and Arlya took rank and formalities very seriously.

She and Xerocleth paused at the edge of the lake and the burgundy offered Couineth a polite bow of deference. Good morning, my queen. I trust this day finds you well?

Arlya looked to Rayna, pausing while she tried to decide if it was appropriate to still call her by first name. Old habits eventually won out. ”Good day, Weyrwoman. I trust we are not intruding?”

@Boo
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 27 2018, 09:28 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3125 Posts
2570 Marks

At the approach of the burgundy, Rayna looked over and saw Arlya approaching. She waved to the woman and stood for a moment surveying the work ahead of her. When the other woman spoke, a bemused expression passed over Rayna's face and she waved a dismissive hand.
"Arlya," she said, "Please call me Rayna. And intrude away. At least this way I'll have someone to distract me from the work I have ahead of me."

Couineth wasn't sure how she was, really. She had been going through days of feeling frustrated and then feeling content with what had happened. Both dragon and rider had been feeling one another's emotions and it was sometimes hard to separate the feelings each of them felt. Sometimes Couineth completely agreed with Laanasuth's choice and other times she felt furious. The gold couldn't tell whether they were her feelings or Rayna's.
It finds me as well as I can hope, Xerocleth. Rukbat is in the sky, there was no Threadfall this day and my Rider is here to make me look gorgeous. How are you? Couineth instead responded.

When Keth had first chosen the burgundy, Couineth had initially considered it a foolish choice but it had been Rayna that showed her otherwise. Xerocleth had been a staunch defender of the Weyr and a remarkable leader. He and Arlya worked hard to prove themselves and Couineth believed he had a lot to offer.

"I wanted to thank you for your continued help while... We wait." Rayna stated straight off the bat with a sigh. Everything would have been so much easier if Laanasuth had just chosen one of the dragons here. The thoughts threatened to creep into her mind and so Rayna pushed it aside.

@Rowana

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 30 2018, 12:40 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

906 Posts
1537 Marks

Arlya actually smiled a little and relaxed. It was nice to know some things didn't have to change, like being able to speak to Rayna like a normal person. Arlya hadn't really realized how nice it was to have someone besides Xerocleth to talk to. She knew she could often be short tempered and intimidating, so most of her interactions were typically less friendly. Maybe she was going soft, but having a few friends didn't seem like such a bad thing anymore.

"Thank you," she replied, a bit more openly. She slipped off her heavier clothing so she could wade into the lake and start scrubbing Xerocleth's hide. "Of course, we are always at your service. Thread still falls, no matter who the queen's choose." She made a small look of distaste. The whole affair was just a mess. Hopefully her replacement would prove competent, though she had her doubts. Though admittedly, those feelings might be as much Xerocleth's as hers.

"High Reaches does seem to be taking their time," she commented dryly. Truthfully, it wasn't that much of a surprise, but the waiting was starting to get annoying. At least she didn't mind the extra work to keep her busy for a few more days. She paused a moment, hesitant to speak about it more, but while she had Rayna alone she supposed she better get it out now. "Xerocleth has taken it hard," she began slowly. "He blames himself for not stopping it." She shook her head, eyes sparking in anger. She didn't think it was his fault at all, but he was incredibuly stubborn. "I did not expect he would win but this...this has been difficult to stomach." Hopefully Rayna would not take offense at her bold words, but she felt she'd been silent long enough for the sake of politics. She had feelings too, even if she rarely showed them.

Xerocleth rumbled appreciatively as Arlya began his bath. It did feel good after all that had gone on the past few days. He knew Arlya had been worried about him, but he was a grown dragon. He would weather the storm as he always did. He dipped his head to Couineth as she spoke and paused before answering her question. Well enough I suspect, he agreed. Could any of them truly be well with this dishonor hanging over their heads? At least Couineth was in no way at fault, yet she still head to deal with the consequences. He was tempted to say more, but he didn't want to appear complaining or burden his queen with his problems. She had enough to worry about, surely.

@Boo
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: May 1 2018, 06:44 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3125 Posts
2570 Marks

Rayna nodded her head slightly and turned to survey Couineth for a moment as Arlya spoke. Truly so many in the Weyr remained loyal even when she felt she had failed them. Even through all the trauma and suffering it only brought them closer. If Arlya had wanted to turn her back on the responsibilities, Rayna would not have blamed her. Yet there was one thing that would always remain true. Arlya had been one of the first ever riders of a fighter dragon that had won a Queen flight and a woman too. Her dragon had proven himself superior once and as far as Rayna was concerned the pair continued to prove their qualities.

When Arlya astutely mentioned High Reaches, Rayna let out something of an exasperated laugh.
"Yes, we've approved the transfers. I believe some other riders intend to transfer in solidarity of sorts for we received two more transfer requests from High Reaches. I am not sure on the details there. Or how much longer it might take. My suspicion is that they've been telling him what to expect as a Weyrleader... I barely know much else except he's a Wingsecond."
She paused for a moment, thinking. Would they teach him Dalibor's history? Or would he just accept the rumours that they were an unstable, failed Weyr in the West. The propaganda that had been spread around Pern. People still chose Dalibor in search of adventure and drama, it was Dalibor's calling card.

"Perhaps we should make sure our Weyrlings are taught more about being a Weyrleader... All of our Weyrlings." After all, this was now the second Dalibor Queen to choose a fighter. It was entirely probable that she might choose another in her next flight. Her scrubbing movements slowed as she looked at Couineth... Would she ever? If she knew the right dragon, and it was deemed the right time then maybe. Yet Rayna couldn't help but know in her heart that Couineth was somewhat traditional. She shrugged imperceptibly and continued washing.

"No. I know Couineth was confused by that. I believe she thought that it would make sense for him to be chosen again," Rayna said quietly as though trying to keep the thoughts from her dragon.

I just don't understand it. Why should she go to another Weyr to choose a dragon who is no doubt lesser? I understand that stupid fool angered her and so she should rightly BE angered but why couldn't she have stayed and chosen any one of you. I assure you, I think you are better than whomever has tricked our Laanasuth into choosing them.
Couineth hated the fact that the other Queens were probably gossiping about them all. Talking ill of the Dalibor dragons, of her children and Laanasuth's too. Didn't Laanasuth see that dishonour had fallen on their descendents as well??

@Rowana

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: May 13 2018, 04:26 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

906 Posts
1537 Marks

Arlya frowned thoughtfully. One rider from High Reaches was enough, but two more? True, they got transfers from various weyrs all the time, but this was sounding more like some kind of plot. Had they put that young burgundy up to this? No, that seemed...unlikely. Still, it bothered her to have so many strangers come to Dalibor like they owned it all of a sudden. "At least he has some leadership experience," she offered, unable to keep a slight bitter tone from her voice. She was a Wingsecond too, so they had that in common. "No doubt they will want to see if the rumors about Dalibor males are true." She knew the rumors were flying around the Weyrs now, that Dalibor males were weak or incompetant. She intended to prove them wrong.

She smiled a little as she caught Rayna's quiet compliment. "I am honored you think so," she said, feeling oddly pleased. She was used to getting what she wanted through her own initiative and not so used to compliments, even if it was more for Xerocleth than her.

The idea about weyrlings though gave her pause. It was a very good point. "I could..." she hesitated, then steeled herself and kept going. "...speak to the weyrlings on that subject," she offered. She wasn't sure she was the best choice necessarily. She didn't exactly like children and she knew many people found her cold and intimidating, even when she was trying to change that image. But she did know what it was like to have leadership suddenly thrust upon you and she now had more free time to speak at a few lessons.

Xerocleth waited patiently as Couineth finished her rank. He could not say he did not agree with much of what she said. I am honored you think so well of me, my queen, he replied and stood a little straighter with pride. I can not pretend to understand her actions. I am proud to fly for Dalibor. If this new male thinks he can come and do what he likes, he will answer to me. Truthfully, he was still struggling with his own anger on the matter. He would hold in his temper for the benefit of the Weyr and try to give them a fair chance. But if these new dragons tried anything untold towards his people or his queens, they had better be ready to face the consequences.

@Boo
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: May 15 2018, 06:59 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3125 Posts
2570 Marks

At Arlya's remark and the hint of bitterness in her tone, Rayna offered a grim smile. Yes at least he wasn't someone plucked from obscurity as it were. He had been recognised above all others in his Weyr for his ability. Rayna also felt she understood a part of Arlya's bitterness. She'd approved the transfers but at the same time, she did question all the transfers in some small way, wondering whether it was as innocuous as it seemed. They all knew D'lios had sent sympathetic candidates and people to the Weyr before he had made his perceived play for Weyrleadership.

"No doubt," Rayna agreed, "We'll just have to make sure that the rumours are proven false."
The Dalibor born dragons, those trained by the candidate and weyrlingmasters seemed to have their heads screwed on correctly. For the most part anyway. There were always difficult riders and dragons across the board. If Rayna had been the Weyrwoman when Couineth was born, she would have looked on the pairing with no small degree of concern. It was a wonder that Fajra and Avalle had been so understanding of Couineth over the turns, given Rayna time to figure it out on her own. She would always be thankful for the influence of the two Weyrwomen on her life.

It made her feel good that Arlya seemed pleased with the compliment. She watched as Sherbie moved out of the lake to begin assisting with Couineth's cleaning. Rayna should really look at getting more, especially now that Couineth saw the benefit of the bugs. She'd been watching Ganhaarth being cleaned by all An'del's pillies and admitted, albeit begrudgingly, that the pillies had their uses. She moved deeper into the lake to make a start on the work.

"That would honestly be perfect, Arlya. Not only to show that a fighter can be chosen but that a woman could become Weyrleader too. You have a very unique perspective on the matter that I think could really benefit the Weyrlings." Rayna answered, looking back at the younger woman.

I am pleased to hear it. Although Mine does warn me that we should not be the ones to throw the first stone. Instead, we should make sure that we greet him amicably and do all that we can to welcome him. But I think you would have no troubles doing that. I think all our dragons are far superior to any other Weyrs.
Couineth didn't much like the idea, would absolutely struggle to be civil but she understood Rayna. Furthermore, she trusted Rayna to make good decisions and even though she wished she could kick and scream, she would not. It would not be particularly helpful and now that she was Senior Queen, people paid more attention to her actions. Plus, she didn't like seeing Rayna stressed.

@Rowana

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil