April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

In The Evening Shade, WI:17 (Rii) N'mor/Arisa
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 23 2017, 11:55 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks
Member Inventory: View

It had been several turns since he'd been gone. Dalibor had been too full of memories, too many people departed that he couldn't deal with being away from. Friends that he'd made, and lost, just as quickly. It had been a transfer back to High Reaches, to try and reconnect with life as a whole and get the murder of his sister taken care of.

It hadn't been, ultimately, but at least they'd taken him seriously and things had started to roll forwards. N'mor had found solace in the dragon he'd felt too sorry to keep, and Kanayath had slowly begun to understand why Hers thought the way he did. It had been good for him, and good for them as a pair. Things were of course still rocky, as they would probably always be until they'd had more time to sort themselves, but life wasn't quite so hard as it once had been.

He'd gone looking for her, when he'd come back. Home, really, as High Reaches had been, hadn't been where he wanted to be. He'd figured that out with time, too. News that Arsonyk had died hadn't fared well on him - it meant that Arisa was without parents, and as such he knew the girl would ultimately be fine, but they'd grown reasonably close in his time there. Certainly not as any share of relationship beyond friends, for certain, but he considered her perhaps the closest to a little sister as he could still entertain.

Like him, she was an 'odd one', and people generally didn't know how to take her. N'mor did. N'mor had for some time, and letters, while they couldn't do his presence any justice, would hopefully have told her she wasn't alone.

But as he knew more than probably anyone, to say one wasn't alone, and to actually BE alone, were two different turns of phase. Something one word couldn't change in any prospect, and it was because of her, largely, that he'd come back. Her, and a desire to never leave anything completely unfinished.

And so, in the snow that blanketed the Bowl, he'd quietly notified Nia of his reasoning. Kanayath had alighted behind the Barracks, then quietly - as quiet as a Green could - tread her way around to one side of the building and settled to wait. He welcomed the Weyrlingmaster's Pink to watch, if she wished; he'd been both a Candidate and a Weyrling before, he knew the rules.

His beloved cello settled against his thigh, he angled it so that the sound would be resonant and subtle outside Arisa's room, but not quite loud enough to bother the other Weyrlings. After all, he was nameless to them, and it wasn't their attention he was looking for. Boots up to his knees protected his feet from the chill, his slacks warm. His shirt and vest were thickly-woven in kind to protect his torso, his hands gloved with hide so thin he could feel the frets easily, but not too thin to keep the cold at bay. His coat was warm, furred and more than capable of blocking out the snow and ice; a scarf loosely wrapped his neck, by which Lumi peeped from within. All of it was black as the ace of spades, and matched his eyes and his hair.

Poe had been left in his weyr, because her penchant for impromptu noise would ruin his element of surprise. After all, the low-tone chukchukchuk of her sounds were a dead giveaway.

Lumi opted in the aires of cold, that it was too much for him, and thus abandoned His' position in order to snuggle with the Brundle Whersport amid N'mor's pillows.

N'mor looked to his Green, easily visible from where he sat; she blinked at him, before he could feel the warmth of her presence in his chest.

With that, he positioned his fingers and his bow, closed his eyes, and slid the rosined length across the strings in a melody that was kept quieter than he would usually play, in order to keep the others from being unsettled or otherwise woken abruptly.

He waited. There was no telling what her reaction would be, but he was probably ready for most anything. Time would tell.

@Rii

PM
^
Rii
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 01:18 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

Broken.

Not broken.

Different.

Different wasn't necessarily wrong.

Dangerous. Freak.

Was she?

Arisa gave Swath's wing one more gentle swipe with a cloth, looking up at him. She still marveled, a little, at how much a dragon grew in a turn and a half. Swath wasn't even a turn old, and he was already big enough to carry her in flight, at least briefly. Soon they'd be moving out of the barracks and into their own weyrs. She appreciated that.

"Is that better, Swath?"

Yes. It no longer itches. Bending his long, graceful neck, he tapped her lightly on the head with his pointed muzzle. Thank you.

"You're welcome." She busied herself with putting away oil and cloth from their evening patch-job of the itchiest places. It might have been an expected task of any weyrling, but it was one she enjoyed. Being there with Swath, touching him, talking to him.

He was, after all, all she had left here.

She wasn't unhappy, at all. It didn't occur to her to be. She had her lessons, and her work, and her drawings, she had Swath - which was more than Father had ever predicted for her. Life was adequately full. The Weyrlingmaster was fair, even if they didn't always agree on the approach to different problems. Arisa didn't have very good luck in finding people who were willing to be fair with her. She didn't mind being disagreed with or even punished - but it had to be fair.

But she was lonely, sometimes. No one could fill in the place Father had left empty, the first person she'd cared for. It had been such a short list - Father and Arsonysk, her poppo Azrin, her firelizard Diaval, and N'mor. Swath had, of course, added himself, but by that time the list had already shrank.

For a moment, she thought that it was because she was thinking of N'mor, that she heard the music. But she'd never been particularly fanciful. That meant the music was real. Abandoning her intents to draw for a while before she went to bed, she shoved her feet into boots and snatched up a coat, walking down the hall as she pulled it on, not even stopping to button it up as she went outside and rounded the corner, seeking out the source of the music.

When she found it, she halted dead in her tracks, mud-brown eyes widening in surprise.

"N'mor?"

@RhiaBlack

PMAIM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 31 2017, 01:21 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

He was lingered there in the snow, the brunt of it drifting down around his shoulders and clinging to the fur around his neck and face as he drew the bow across the strings. N'mor found little comfort in much anymore, and his music had once again become the mainstay of his de-stressing attempts.

There was movement from within the Barracks; he could hear something rustling, the shift of a door before Kanayath shifted her own weight where she lingered. Her head lowered, and she inspected the not-so-little girl, now very much a young woman, coming around the corner.

When Arisa stopped, when she said his name, it brought a smile to his lips. His eyes stayed closed, fingers still working the frets quietly as the notes petered out to nothingness in the air around them. He rose, spinning the cello away from him only for it to be caught by Kanayath's tail.

He settled into a sturdy sort of stance; Arisa had always been atypical of most people he'd known in his life, and he didn't expect her to be the sort to rush him and throw her arms around him as most children and young people did when those they'd been without so long, returned to them. He didn't even know if she'd missed him, he'd been so lost to his own grief and despair that the truth of whether or not life had changed so much, that she hadn't had the time to think about him was unknown.

He knew she'd Impressed, that much was clear to him. A Black, Swath, who rumors said was as graceful and well-mannered as any similar-colored brethren he'd encountered. It was no small thing, for her to have attracted a mindmate. For those who'd called her emotionless, broken, too different to be healthy as a Rider, it was a slap in the face that no, there was nothing wrong with her. She was as capable as any of them, and it made N'mor proud.

"It's me, it's true, I stand here now, you see me, don't you, never again to depart I vow." A somewhat slight grin, the bow draped through one of Kanayath's tailforks before N'mor ran his gloved hands along his thighs to warm the tops of them.

"My mind was ill, I profess. It left me still and quite a mess. Though I suspect I've been made whole if slightly less." He licked his lips slightly. "I heard you've Impressed, yourself, and I'm curious quite considerably if I must confess. Is he as fantastic as they say, no less?"

@Rii

PM
^
Rii
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 10:18 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

"You came back." She studied him. The last time she'd seen him, he was still confined to the infirmary after having almost died. He hadn't rhymed. He'd barely wanted to see her at all. He'd barely existed at all, he certainly hadn't been living. "You sound better than you were."

The blackweyrling folded her hands together, the skin on skin helping keep her fingers warm. It seemed almost impassive, how she looked at him, like he was just another person, another trundlebug scuttling here and there under her gaze. She knew, in a vague kind of way, that other younglings would have been highly upset at someone close to them leaving so abruptly. But, it was something she was also used to. Mother, Father, Father's weyrmate, N'mor, everyone she knew, left. N'mor was simply the only one that had ever come back.

Abruptly, the corners of her mouth turned up. Not a full-out smile, but a pleased expression. She offered him a hand, palm-up in greeting. "I missed you." Missed. No better word for the hollow, dull ache she'd felt with N'mor gone and her father dead.

"I did. No one Searched me." Once, they'd wondered if Kanayath would. But she hadn't been there to find out. "Swath found me in the stands."

As if summoned by the words, the black popped his head around the corner of the barracks, then the rest of him followed. His long tail wagged back and forth a couple of beats, before he hop-flutter-pounced a dragonlength forward, landing neatly just behind Arisa and folding his wings. Extending his neck over Arisa's head, he examined the rider and green.

So you are N'mor and Kanayath. I see. He dipped his head. Welcome home.

The not-quite-a-smile didn't fade, in fact widening slightly until it could be called a true smile, if a small one. Reaching up, Arisa caressed Swath's slender neck. "Swath is ideal."

I seek to be ideal, he corrected precisely. However, 'ideal' is an adaptive concept, rather than an endpoint. I will adapt with it. He craned his neck. What brought you back to Dalibor, if I may ask?

@RhiaBlack

PMAIM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jan 26 2018, 10:34 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

"I am better than I was," he sighed, though the sound wasn't unfortunate or disheartened, but relieved. "Much better than I was, because...upon my venture to High Reaches, a land of cold and ice, not beaches...the one that murdered my sister has been found, and now eaten by Threadscore, no longer around. A great and wonderful relief, no doubt."

His sister's death had been a horrible weight on the Greenrider's mind; to now have that terrible, Faranth-accursed unfortunate situation corrected, was a relief by every means. To finally put her memory to rest, it had done not only a great deal to help N'mor physically and mentally, but had also helped him to grow a little bit closer to Kanayath as well. It was evident in the way that he no longer recoiled so sharply from her contact, though there was still the apprehension.

He had noticeably not transferred with another, and with Endellion gone, he could only assume that his reputation meant that he would find himself still largely alone, when it came to relationships. That was all right. In some ways, his friendship with Arisa was all he really needed, as far as social interactions went - she was an 'odd duck', so they claimed, but he believed it more the product of who her father was, than anything else. And with Swath there alongside her, it spoke more for a positive of her state of existence than any mere word ever could.

But even his eyes widened slightly at the admission she'd missed him.
Nobody ever missed him, that was the whole point of him trying to take his own life.
Nobody would ever miss him.

The fact that someone had, however, was a new kind of revelation indeed.

"I needed a moment to collect my thoughts, reflect on all that life had wrought. So it was back to the snow, the dark, to settle low and park, to find the peace I've...long since sought. But now I have it all, I've found. Merely need to set my feet back down. Settle in and be around."

He looked the Black over as he emerged from his not-so-hidey-type-hiding-place, appreciative of his rather gorgeous features and smooth lines. He was elegant, and frankly N'mor was quite obviously impressed. He was no half-put-together dragon by any means. He almost envied Arisa, Blacks had quite the reputation for being very smooth, graceful flyers, in every sense of the word.

Something Kanayath didn't particularly lack, but was by no means as seamless as Swath probably was.

The pair of you are ideal, Kanayath crooned. An ideal dragon for an ideal Rider. A little girl, you are no longer, my dear. I am very pleased to see what you have grown into, and very proud. My N'mor, he was happy, I dare say, to return home. It pained both of us dearly, to have had to leave. But it was necessary, I do not think that we would have done so well, had we not returned where we needed to be. But now, we are needed here. And it is here, we will stay.

"Necessity, good sir," N'mor rubbed his chin slightly, before placing his hand in Arisa's to draw himself to his feet. The cello was taken by his Green back up to their weyr, where it was settled very, very carefully on Hers' bed with her tail. Kanayath knew that N'mor valued his instruments beyond anything else. She returned several moments later, of course, but by then N'mor had wandered off with Arisa where-ever the Blackrider had decided to draw them.

"Many have left these large, stone walls, answering the Southern call. Transfers from every side, near and far, and far and wide. So naturally there was need to balance sides. Once Evermor's death was solved, my duties to High Reaches were absolved. So thus I return, where we're most needed - perhaps much spurned."

He shrugged faintly. He knew people knew what had happened. It was spoken in hushed voices, where they thought he couldn't hear, among the Weyrfolk upon his return. The one who looked to leave his dragon, they said. The drowned man. The one who sought separation rather than suffering. It didn't bother him as much as it once had.

It probably never would, again.

"How long have you to graduation? Perhaps the greatest of anticipations? To wear one's knots in celebration?"

He knew her well enough to know she'd probably celebrate her graduating class as he had; subtly, with not much fanfare at all. Or perhaps, maybe, Swath would seek something greater than the sum of how her life had been before him. One could never tell. Arisa, after all, was hardly the predicable sort.

@Rii

PM
^
Rii
 Posted: Mar 24 2018, 12:27 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2443 Posts
2562 Marks

They could claim it was all because of how her father raised her if they wanted, but Arisa had been innately rather creepy long before she'd met him, as certain kitchen workers and drudges from Western could still attest. It was thanks to Arsonyk - and N'mor himself, not that the greenrider seemed to realize it - that made her a little less so. One from teaching her ways to conceal the worst of it, the other from simply accepting the best of it.

She'd missed N'mor. That she actually gave a damn about his existence, had been proven when she'd come to see him after he'd tried to end his life. There were only two people in the world that she'd willingly hugged, and one of them was dead. The other was standing in front of her now.

There were so few people that she formed any kind of bond with, it left a rather big hole when she lost one.

The blackweyrling lifted an eyebrow. "Are you?" she inquired bluntly. "Happy to be back, I mean? Or is it just necessity." There was a difference between feeling one had a duty to be somewhere or do something, and actually liking it when one did it. Ask her how she knew. Hint: it was because she was doing the former constantly.

An odd little smile traced across her lips as they walked along the side of the weyrling barracks, Swath trailing after them with little hops. "Not until next autumn. Almost a full Turn yet." She indicated the dragon following them. "They still think I'm going to kill him, you know." They, being the same people who called her creepy, broken, strange, monstrous. "The Weyrlingmaster knows better, Swath knows better, and I know better, so it's... amusing."

They expected me to vanish forever because she failed to cuddle and coo over me like a mother with a baby, Swath put in with a tone of superior scorn. Perhaps some require that, but I do not. I need a partner, and I have that.

"Will you come to our graduation?" It was still quite far away, but N'mor was the only one she had to ask. And she found that she rather wanted him to be there.

@RhiaBlack

PMAIM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 09:13 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

N'mor operated with the understanding that he wasn't normal. He would never be normal - most normal people didn't try to drown themselves in the Lake because they thought their dragon was too good for them. Kanayath had spent turns upon turns, now, trying to make Hers understand that N'mor was exactly who she needed most. He was the quirky side of her, the mindset that balanced out her ever-present, often nagging do-gooder nature. And on the other half of it, she was the empathy and gentleness, the motherly nature that in losing his Twin, he'd been so helpless without.

They were slowly settling into place, bit by bit. They would never be the same level some other pairs were, but N'mor had accepted that. Kanayath would always be better than him, she was what brought him value, and without her, he was useless beyond his music and spoken words. Without him, she couldn't exist, and because of that necessity, they continued to be here.

"Yes and no, it is so-so. Here is home, but where I roam, this is the place I choose to go." He shrugged gently, smoothing his hands along his pants. "What's done is done, and so I come to chase the sun, to see what new life might have begun."

And it was, very much, a new life. A new start for a man whose reputation would always proceed him, but it was what it was. He wasn't terribly worried about anything but the Falls he took part in, and the occasional times Kanayath decided to Rise. It happened, though much more sparingly, and N'mor usually spent most of that time dealing with it himself. It was just easier that way, and to date, nobody had come to his weyr looking to...assist him with that small problem. Most people knew him. They knew is reputation, they knew who he was to some degree, and what he'd done. They were either usually disgusted with him, or simply thought him too self-dissolved to bother with the attention.

He was fine with it. It was more pleasant than having suitors show up on his door looking to pity him, or use his body for their own desires. A lot less humiliating.

"The walls have ears, the floors have eyes, and all talk, talk, talk, weyr-to-weyr, sundown to rise. They've nothing more to interest their lives. It's all they do, they make-believe, more fantastical tales than even I can weave. Like cloth their rumors all combine, to stretch all truths made worse with wine." He shook his head. "I ignore them hard as it is, there's more to track than I can list."

They said much the same of myself and my N'mor. Because we were not love-at-first-hatch as so many seem to be. It is all about respect, they seem to forget this more often than not. Sad as it may be. I see many who think because you do not automatically love your Hatchling, or even your bonded, that somehow the bond was chosen poorly and you are destined for heartache. I like to think these bonds, those like yours, like mine, they are made stronger for the fire we have had to walk through for Ours. Let them talk. They will regardless, Mine believes that as long as it is about those of us who are used to it, who can handle it, then this is all for the better. It keeps the commentary off those who may not be so strong as we.

"Of course, of course."

@Rii

PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr