April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Spring, 19th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Wonder

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Ingoth

The Expedition of the previous season proved to be far less dangerous than possibly any before, with a handful of newly discovered species, and plenty of wealth in the way of resources. As the snow melts, the cold retreats, and bright green buds of Spring burst forth, Dalibor sets its sights on the future as Red Ingoth lays her first clutch upon the sands of the Hatching Ground and the Weyr prepares for another hatching full of possibilities.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Candidate Lesson: The Stands, {Everyone, even non-Candidates}
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 23 2018, 02:10 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

916 Posts
3802 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Jaquin hadn't heard of Toreyo, but that wasn't necessarily surprising. He hadn't met many riders unless they'd come into the infirmary while he was on duty. He didn't think there was anything wrong with being little known though. Being well known seemed to come with a boat load of problems he would rather not deal with personally. Besides, anyone strong enough to be a rider and fight thread was something special in his book. "She still must be something, going out to fight thread and all," he told Torena with a smile.

He was a little surprised to hear Torena had been a candidate for that long. It wasn't unusually necessarily, he was just surprised someone like her hadn't Impressed yet. There were a lot of eggs out there, though, so maybe this time would be lucky for both of them. "Yeah, it's my first time standing for whers," he admitted, rubbing his neck nervously. He still had doubts that was a very good idea, but since both the clutches were together, he figured he might as well try it. "I've been to a lot of hatchings and only seem to get bumps and bruises for my trouble," he explained in a laughing tone. Sometimes he got a lot worse than bruises, but he didn't want to scare or worry her. "So I thought it might not hurt to increase my chances a little. Dragon or wher hardly matters to me. Long as I can still work with the Healers."

@Ree
PM
^
Ree
 Posted: Apr 25 2018, 02:33 AM
Candidate

N/A

40 Posts
355 Marks

”Yeah, I think so.” She giggled at his response. Being a rider at all was really impressive, and the only true thing she wanted to do with her life. She wondered if she’d feel that way if she’d known her father better, or if her mother had been anyone else. People from all walks of life really seemed to admire dragon riders, so maybe she’d be just the same? Or maybe the thought of going into something like beastcraft would be a bit more palatable. Either way, it didn’t really matter. She wanted a dragon, and she was going to prove herself worthy of one of the dragonets in one of those eggs. She could feel it in her blood – her time had to be coming soon! ”But then, I’m biased. What about your family, though?” They’d talked a bit about hers – at least, about her mother – but she couldn’t remember anything that had been said about his. She hoped it wasn’t a touchy subject…

He admitted that it was his first time standing for whers, and she nodded, frowning when he said he’d been to hatchings but none of them had worked out for him. ”I think I can understand that. It’s tough facing disappointment, but I guess not everyone can Impress at every hatching. From what I’m told, they purposely get a lot more candidates than eggs to make sure as many dragons as possible survive. Not sure how things are for whers. That’s a good outlook, though. Maybe I should try my hand at a craft or two to see if anything calls to me beyond this.” But that would take up what little free time she had, and she wasn’t sure how well she could handle that added stress.
@Rowana

PM
^
Aerona
 Posted: Apr 25 2018, 02:37 AM
Jr. Weyrleader

N/A

158 Posts
2050 Marks

"Yeah, and some of 'em will do anything to get to the one they're attached to." Emeron made a face. "Though seeing the armor come around made it a lot less scary." He said. "But I'm to the point of eh, if I die out there then so be it." He gave a shrug. Maybe this was why he had never impressed, he just didn't think it could happen. Maybe they sensed that. "I cared a lot more, when I was little and dumb, thinking I'd impress a dragon any second. But I got over that real quick." He frowned. "Who knows what I'm tied to, maybe even a beast that has never or will not ever grace the sands. But I just gotta keep on goin'." He paused. "Not much else I can do, I've got no real good skills, I break everything I try to fix, I'm bad at healing and can't figure out herbs, pretty much stuck at this point." He shrugged again. "But for a moment, when those eggs start rocking, I get a little bit of hope."

He looked ahead. "And then it's crushed." Maybe he could be good as a Harper, he was kind of poetic in a way. A sad way that no one wanted to listen to, he was sure.

"If it's a literal bite that leads to something bonding to me that isn't an ancient dog, I'll take it." Emeron said with a look back at her. He did smile though, as pessimistic as he was, he was truly a good natured person. If she was bad at conversation, Emeron didn't seem to notice it, or maybe he seemed to not even question it. He just smiled at her. "Don't go getting my hopes up, I can't be expecting anything if I wanna come out of this with my little bit of heart still in tact." He could talk to anyone and for days and says it seemed.

Emeron gave a heavy sigh and made a face. "Oh yeah, was too worried about the chaos of two queens on the sands to even think about that." Way to bring him down further. "I hope there's not too many, we've got a lot of good candidates this time that deserve these beasts." He waved a hand over. He clearly was not one of the deserving ones, but others, of course they needed them! He wasn't going to jinx any of them with his own doubts.

A few blinks were made as she became cold as the frosts of that horrible storm and he put his hands up in a placating way. "I was just teasing, no real mean to actually pry." Ugh, he deserved that though.

She calmed, though the damage was done, and he hung his head a little. He turned his eyes again from her and to the eggs. "I'd be happy to get anything." He said, wistfully. "My entire family are a bunch of riders, and the youngest is a candidate out here too." He sighed heavily. "I don't care at all what I get, I just want one. I want that closeness, a bond, the love I hear you feel." It hurt, to think that his sibling might even impress here a dragon, when he couldn't even get a Wher. "I think Whers are just as good as dragons, even if they can't really fly."

@Blot

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 25 2018, 08:28 AM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

916 Posts
3802 Marks

“Oh, ah,” Jaq scratched his head, looking a little embarrassed at the question. He wasn’t very comfortable talking about his past or his family, but it seemed only fair since Torena had shared hers. “My folks weren’t anything special, but I’d like to think they’d be proud if they could see me now,” he said, with a touch of sadness. He could barely remember them so the loss didn’t hit him that hard, but he sometimes wondered if his life might have been different if they were still around. “Pretty sure my uncle was glad to be rid of me though. We haven’t spoken since I left for the Healers.” He shrugged to show he really didn’t mind that. It wasn’t like they had ever been that close.

He was glad of a change of subject away from him. “True enough,” he agreed with a nod. “We need as many riders as we can get these days.” His thoughts drifted back to the terrible threadfall that had brought him to Ista in the first place. “Never hurts to try new things, but I’m sure you’ll Impress soon,” he added with an encouraging smile. Of course he had no way of knowing, but he did hope so. He wanted Torena to get to live her dream.

@Ree

PM
^
Ree
 Posted: Apr 25 2018, 09:06 PM
Candidate

N/A

40 Posts
355 Marks

She’d made things awkward. At least, she seemed to have embarrassed him. She wondered if she should apologize and move on, but then he started answering her. He seemed so sad, too. Something must have happened to them all. She wanted to know what to see if she could help in any way, but she knew better. Some things were best left alone.

”I bet they all think you’re amazing, and if your uncle is different then it’s his own loss and not yours. They may not be king or queen riders or anything, but any family is special as long as they treat people decently.” She’d drop the topic after that, though. She wanted to make a friend, not cause pain.

He responded to her comment about the eggs, and she found herself grinning again. ”We do. The more capable wings we have out there, the less chance thread has to damage anything. Or everything.” He seemed to encourage her to try new things, but assured her that she’d Impress soon. That was incredibly sweet, and she found a measure of her confidence returning. ”Thanks. I bet you’ll be getting something this time around, too! I’d love it if we were both in the next weyrling class together.”
@Rowana

PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 28 2018, 03:08 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

745 Posts
195 Marks

Embry wasn't an avid reader--in fact, he didn't read at all. He had never been on a quest for knowledge, especially as a child. He was content to play on his own, at whatever he was given to do, while everyone else around him worried about their futures. It was only now, now that he realized there was nowhere that he really belonged, that he was beginning to worry. The young man listened as Vianna mentioned that candidates could also take up crafts. A part of him wanted to ask what someone like him would even do for a craft, but he refrained. It was somewhat of a relief to hear that there was someone else who also didn't quite have post-candidacy figured out. "I think you'll impress," he told her honestly, looking upon the girl as he spoke. Dragons didn't ignore people like Vianna, not in his opinion least ways.

So many things in his life had changed that he hadn't possessed a spare moment to face his fears. It had all changed so quickly, quicker than he had expected even. He supposed, likely when he least expected it, that it could all change again. Would he be ready for it when it did? "I guess so," he mumbled, hesitant to call anyone a friend. He knew a fair bit about Vianna already, because she wasn't afraid to open up to people; or maybe it was just that the girl was brave. "Yeah..." he trailed off, not wanting to admit that he'd be thinking of her during the hatching. "You should... do what's good for you I mean. What's the point otherwise?" Thanks to Vianna he was sounding all optimistic and shit... At least his optimism was aimed at another person, making the whole thing feel slightly less awkward.

Then she was calling him a good guy, and he could no longer compute. "Yes but..." he began reluctantly, not wanting her to go getting any wild ideas. "That's because of you, not me." Who really thought that he was a good guy? All that meant was that she, like most others, didn't really know him. "I don't do 'good.' That's not me. Sorry to disappoint." Would she believe him if he told her that he'd hurt someone before? Would she believe him if he told her that someone was dead because of him? Would she still be laughing, and smiling, if she knew? Embry peered down at his hands before awkwardly lacing his fingers together.

Then the girl was uttering the words "she's dead," and for a moment he didn't think she was talking about the girl on the sands. "I know," he replied reflexively. Of course he knew, he'd been there, he'd seen it happen. "If it's worth that, well... I have yet to see how." How could anything be worth dying for, unless someone was trying to escape something? "Nothing makes sense now," he argued.

She was going on about how she would be thinking of them--of him, when hatching day rolled around. It was his turn to laugh, though he had done his best to fight the urge. What a strange girl indeed. There she went again, calling him things that made him sigh. His cheeks were flushed, and his thoughts were a jumble. "I don't know about that, but I hope that you get everything you're looking for Vianna." The girl deserved to be happy, and he truly hoped that she would be. "I can't imagine why not," he heard himself say, sure that she would ignore his teasing tone. The boy pressed his thumb against the inside of his palm as he began to imagine, possibly for the first time, how hatch-day would go.

@Ruin
PM
^
Mopsy93
 Posted: Apr 28 2018, 03:43 PM
Pridesecond

N/A

1447 Posts
1450 Marks

It was interesting looking down at the Queen Dragon and wher from the vantage point of the stands, something that along with a whole host of things would be new for her though might not be for other more experienced Candidates. Of course this privilege could be just as easily taken away if someone did something foolish while in the stands, and at least Garenta took it completely seriously. Garenta at least at first decided to take up a position about the middle of the stands for now taking in just what going on down there in the sands not as interested in starting a conversation with the other Candidates.

Garenta didn’t know whether or not it would be appropriate to bring along Bekara so she had left the Cyan firelizard to her own devices outside of the Hatching sands not that Bekara was prone to doing anything that would get herself intentionally in trouble anyways. Well okay maybe she would but as long as someone tried to interfere with her getting what she thinks she needs to get done or tell Garenta that she was wrong Bekara was probably going to be fine. There was a first time for everything and Bekara could sometimes surprise Garenta with what the striped Cyan got up to when left alone.

Open for tagging

PM
^
Lynn
 Posted: Apr 30 2018, 04:43 PM
Apprentice

N/A

55 Posts
0 Marks

There was a new face in the Stands, watching the two Queens with quiet curiosity and longing. The longing was reserved for when cobalt eyes fell on the eggs resting against and around the lovely Copper dragon, the curiosity for the Copper Wher herself. Glances were given to Laanasuth and to Zelsk's eggs, but they were nothing more than that. Mere glances. A soft sigh sounded, along with the sound of gentle scratching as woefully underskilled artistry was applied to empty page. This was no artist, after all, merely a Herder who happened to enjoy drawing creatures that interested her.

And Zelsk definitely interested her. She was no herdbeast or runner, of course, no burdenbeast. But she was still fascinating to this one who watched her. Why? was the question running through quick mind. Why had it taken so long for the Copper mutation to appear in the Whers? It had been present in the dragons and the fire-lizards for quite some time already. And why a Wild Queen's clutch not a Bonded one? Were there more Copper Queens out there, roaming unseen, unknown to any but their wild kin? Had the mutation appeared, but being wild was unknown? She wondered, and wanted very much to know. But she was careful, knowing that dragons and whers, and flits to an extent as well, did not like being questioned unless it was invited or for some other reason.

So she watched. She, who should have been repulsed by the meaning within this Cavern. Who should have been avoiding them due to the heartbreak, the disappointment, she'd been through. She who was no hopeful, watching those eggs and wondering if one held her lifemate. No. She'd been through that. 7 Turns of it. Her time had come and gone.

But she was still here. She was not repulsed. She did not hate the dragonkin for getting her hopes up and then dashing them. She did wonder what had been missing from her that she was left Standing all those times. She questioned why she had been Searched, and then never chosen as her brother had. But she did not hate. To the contrary. She adored the dragonkin. And though she could not view Laanasuth's eggs without remembered pain and heartbreak, remembered sadness, she did not let that bar her from being here now. From sating her curiosity about Zelsk the only way she politely could...

@Rii @Catsitta (Mention of your Copper Ladies)

Kerita: Journeyman Herder (Beasthealer) / Dalibor Weyr
Silvyre: Apprentice Baker / Dalibor Weyr
PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Apr 30 2018, 11:12 PM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

425 Posts
2437 Marks

"Yeah," Odinara nodded, returning her attention back to the eggs that fascinated her. "I know they're big full grown, but... Being this close to them. It's a little overwhelming, isn't it?" Maybe not for those that had been Standing for turns, but this was her first time and she was overwhelmed. The onslaught of lessons, the looming coppers, the repeated warnings of blood and death and more blood and more lessons, then sitting here and watching the eggs like they were a harper meant to entertain them.

"I'm Odinara," she offered. She didn't doubt if everyone knew her - It felt like everyone did, but she'd always felt like everyone was staring at her. But that didn't mean she didn't know everyone else. She seemed she was at a disadvantage for such things, but that didn't mean manners were suddenly gone. She could be polite even when clueless. She'd done it before.

"Thanks for talking to me," she added as an after thought. "I don't really know anyone yet." She hadn't been here all that long and despite the blue's insistence that she'd "help him win" she didn't feel like she'd Impress. It was hard to feel confident in something like that when you didn't feel comfortable in your own skin.

But she wasn't going to tell him that. She'd only just met him!

@Harbinger

PM
^
Leo
 Posted: May 2 2018, 07:54 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

457 Posts
4059 Marks

With the other candidate's permission, Nisair took the space next to Xavinyra. She placed one leg over the other until she was comfortable and leaned back on her hands in order to better study the eggs. "Oh, that's right- you're a dual candidate, huh? I can't imagine how difficult that must be considering I'm exhausted as it is. Hopefully the eggs hatch sooner rather than later...for many reasons." Another smile worked its way onto the girl's face. She had real sympathy for the beastcrafter although she couldn't understand why anyone would bother standing for dragons when they could stand for whers. She simply didn't know how to comprehend a dragon's loyalty like she could a wher's. Not to mention, most of them seemed to be too bubbly for their own good and there wasn't even blood to bond them together!

"Rivath's hatching?" Nisair's hesitation was apparent from the way she voiced the question. She was loath to broach the topic knowing that much pain had been involved even though she hadn't been there. "I don't know..." Her voice faltered as she followed Xavinyra's gaze to the wher eggs. All thirteen (fourteen?) of them. She didn't know why she felt the need to defend them - maybe because her father's wher wasn't exactly the most peaceful - but she did. "Whers can be violent, sure, but they are our guardians! I've never felt safer than under a Daliborian wher's protection and I would be so proud to have one by my side." For a moment, the girl straightened and raised her head high, but she quickly resumed her former leaning position after a moment of thought. "I mean...the personality of the individual dragon or wher is really going to be what determines how they act. Much like us, I guess." Hopefully she hadn't annoyed her newfound companion with her words. That would be very uncomfortable for the both of them.

@Harbinger (Xavinyra)
PM
^
Harbinger
 Posted: May 3 2018, 11:22 AM
Priderunner

N/A

168 Posts
6905 Marks

"A little bit," Caelen conceded with a nod. Getting close to hatchlings... that certainly was overwhelming when one considered that they were that close to potentially Impressing. He had lost count on how many times that had happened to himself. Not that counting failures was a very fun subject.

"Oh! I'm Caelen," the candidate said with some surprise, amazed at himself that he would forget something as simple and important as introducing himself. He offered a hand to shake, straightening up slightly. Now he was feeling self-conscious and wanted to look presentable. Not that it mattered, considering he was talking to one of his peers, but he didn't want Odinara thinking he was some slouch or something.

"You're welcome," he then said with a gentle smile. "It can be easy to get lost in this crowd." He gestured vaguely to indicate all the candidates. "Trust me."

@Captain

"Yeah, I am," Xavinyra confirmed with a nod, glancing over to the lounging candidate next to her. She felt some surge of pride when Nisair admitted her own exhaustion, feeling that buoyancy of knowing she was doing thrice the work and still getting on just fine. Take that, average people! "It shouldn't be much longer. It's been how many 'heated weeks' now?" Xavinyra wracked her brain to remember just how long ago it was that the eggs had been laid. She shrugged in answer to her own question.

"Oh yeah, real bloodbath." Xavinyra smirked, more because Nisair was squirming than because she actually approved of Akashath's actions. Blood didn't bother Xavinyra, though her smile faded at the thought of being injured. What would she do, then? Lay around until she got better? The idea almost made her shudder. The beastcrafter's gaze returned to Nisair when she started getting preachy, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. And then she looked away and rolled her eyes.

"Well, of course. Dalibor wouldn't be near what it is without the whers. I didn't say they were useless, they just don't take dung from anyone." Mostly. Some were quite kind, as Nisair then pointed out. Each hatchling would be their own individual. Some said like dragon, like rider, but they were still two different beings. Similar, sure, but not identical. "We'll just have to see," Xavinyra concluded.

@Leo

user posted image
Harbinger's Hoard
Come plot with me!
PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr