Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

Hearts of Gold, WI:14 {TreasureTrackers Hatching Feast}
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 26 2016, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

"Here!" the Weyrlingmaster mumbled to various new Weyrlings as he scuttled around their table, throwing rings of flowers over their heads. The Southern blossoms wrote their colors in multiple layers across spearhead petals, orange or pink bases partitioned from green or blue tips by white bands. Golden stalks unfurled from the center of each bud and fanned out against the open air like whiskers. When he tossed one such flower ring on, a disoriented juvenile snyt flipped up from beneath one of the petals and whizzed in a circle above the table, then zipped towards the exit to the kitchens, where there was both warmth and the scent of fruit. "Fresh from the Southern Continent! I picked them myself!" Apparently sometime between the Hatching and this lunchtime feast. "Don't they smell wonderful!"

Swift as a snyt himself, the Weyrlingmaster rushed over to the Weyrleaders' table as soon as the newbies had been appropriately festooned. The TreasureTrackers, as they would soon be recognized, had a rare center front position directly across from Dalibor's many leaders, including the burgundyrider that represented their dragon's father, and the Weyrwoman-mother. Dan too had a special place. Lunch had been served, and he had spent it gnawing on a wherry wing directly beside Weyrleader G'len, so fast it seemed he might choke, though he never did.

He waited for an audience of full bellies to speak: "Welcome to our little TreasureTrackers, subjects of the coming two turns of study and seclusion! My name is Dan'lusian, I and pink Pipperith-"

You are all my babies now, a pink voice haunted the dragonets.

"-are your Weyrlingmasters! We are very experienced, and have managed one entire class before yours!" Dan held up his finger and wagged it, grinning proudly. "Please take the following..." He leaned forward, trying to ascertain the peek of sunlight down the Dining Hall's rocky throat. "...twenty minutes to socialize, then we will be moving you back to the Barracks for another round of oiling and chores. After that it will be time for dinner, then bed. Think of yourselves like centenarians! Welcome, baby old people! Someday you will age in reverse and become beautiful spirits of youth! For right now though, all you want is your meal and sleep. Yes, glorious sleep... Ah-h, now you only have nineteen minutes to socialize! I suppose I should stop talking and let you to it."

The pinkrider trotted back down from his invisible podium. The harpers at the corners, who had been looking on uncertainly, now felt confident to strike up a tune that would guide various persons to the same spot where Dan had been speaking: the dance floor.

Dan proceeded to the Weyrlings' table and sat down at the head of it. He poured himself a mug of water from the pitcher on the table, sipped it, then smiled at his new students. "Nice to meet you!" he chirped. Socializing, see?
^
Rowana
 Posted: Jul 27 2016, 02:31 PM
Jr. Weyrleader

809 Posts
347 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Ly'on had spent most of the time after the Hatching taking care of his new dragon. Feeding him while the dragonhealers saw to his leg. Then cleaning him up and a fresh oiling before getting ready to go to the feast. Ly'on could still hardly believe he was doing this. Taking care of his very own dragon! He had never imagined this would happen so soon. Everyone he talked to had said to wait until he was twelve, probably longer. But here he was, a weyrling! And Gruyeth was a great dragon too. Ly'on wanted to learn more about his new partner. He knew each dragon was different and his seemed very different from any other he'd met. Gruyeth spent most of the time this morning alternating between wicked, almost mean, jokes and fond, honest comments. Ly'on knew he still had much to learn and not all of it would be in lessons.

Ly'on arrived at the Dining Hall, face still beaming with joy and adjusting his new weyrling knots proudly. He'd barely gotten inside before someone caught him from behind and hugged him fiercely.

"I'm so very, very proud of you!" His mother, Galya, was saying an dshe hugged him tight.

Ly'on smiled wide. He was glad his mother wasn't mad. He knew his wanting a dragon worried her and he'd been concerned this would worry her even more. As the hug went on though, he could hear Gruyeth laughing in his head. Momma's boy, eh? he accused jovially. Ly'on turned pink and tried to wriggle out of his mother's grasp. Had any of the other weyrlings seen?

Galya let him go, still beaming, eyes stinging a little. Gask bounced next to her, goggles unable to hide the happy wher grin on her face. Hatchling fly! she exclaimed with delight. Take Gask someday! Explore the sky! Oh yes, think of the adventures to be had out in the sky!

Ly'on grinned and nodded. "Sure, Gask," he told her with a fond head rub. What? Gruyeth growled sulkily. Who says I'll ferry little whers around on field trips? I am a dragon! Not a rowboat! Please, Gruyeth? Ly'on begged sweetly. Just one little wher? Gruyeth didn't answer, though Ly'on had a feeling he was debating it. Maybe by the time he could fly, Ly'on could convince him.

Galya smiled down at her son, trying to hide the tears of happiness. "Go on and see your classmates now," she urged, nodding to where the new weyrling table was set up. "Gask and I need to get back if we're to get any sleep today." She started to walk away, then turned back with a little wink. "No wine now!"

"Mom!" Ly'on gave an embarrassed look. Did she think he would drink at his age? Galya and Gruyeth had matching chuckles as his mother left.

Ly'on shook his head and went to go take his seat. He glanced around the table, feeling suddenly very nervous. The other weyrlings were a lot older than he was. Would they even get along? He didn't want them to treat him like a kid, though he supposed that's really what he was. His thoughts were interupted by the arrival of flowers and their Weyrlingmaster. Ly'on hid a giggle. Dan'lusian seemed like a funny man. Maybe lessons would be fun too?

Ly'on gave Dan'lusian a shy smile when the man sat down. "Nice to meet you, sir," he answered politely. He wasn't really sure what else to say yet. Everything was just happening so fast.

@Azhdarchid
PM
^
Orchid
 Posted: Jul 27 2016, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Láska, Perenelle's pink fire lizard, made a lot of rapid-fire chatter-like noises while sending in pictures and emotions at the same pace. The lizard was almost sending the information faster than she could be understood, but Perry had been dealing with the chatterbox for a few years now and had quickly picked up on the language of the Láska. She had to snort at the general message though, she hadn't even had time to process the jabber properly.

She reached up and bopped the nose of the flying reptile, "sweetling, I need a chance to process your language." She said, sugary sweet tone covering the sarcasm in the words. She had planned on talking to the candidates in the hall anyways but she couldn't even get the words out before her ear was being chatted off. Her pet huffed unhappily and landed on her head, sitting elegantly.

She couldn't help the snort she gave at the pink's sassiness, but proceeded to walk towards a few of the people in the hall. "Does this make you happy, dear?" She asked sarcastically to which the lizard gave another huff in acknowledgement.
^
Phryne
 Posted: Jul 27 2016, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Calina was definitely not used to all this hubbub, especially being in the middle of it, and most especially for something good. She shifted uncomfortably as she sensed people looking at her, then squeaked loudly as C'lon swooped her up in a hug. "Congratulations, my little weyrling," he boomed, and her cheeks bloomed pink, knowing his outburst would attract more attention. She clenched her left arm tighter to her side, where a certain flying shoe was currently ensconced.

"Daaaaa," she half-whined with a grin, gently swatting his shoulder. "Put me down!" With a last squeeze, resulting in another squeak from Callie, he complied.

"Oh, my girl, you're getting so big," he sighed, ruffling her hair. Given that he still stood head and shoulders above her, the comment was met with an exasperated look from his daughter. He slung an arm around her shoulders and his smile was touched with regret. "Inzie'd be proud of you too, you know."

A sharp intake of breath was Callie's reaction, then she burrowed into C'lon's side as she gave him a hug. "I know. Thank you." She clung to the man for another moment, then pulled away and shook herself, squaring her shoulders. "It would be my honor for you to meet Gouth, sir." After a moment, she relaxed a bit and smiled. "Well, when he wakes up." She readjusted the shoe, which had begun to slip.

C'lon waved the addition away with a grin. "Of course, of course. There's no rush, and you'll have your hands full for quite some time. I'd be honored to meet him when the opportunity arises." The greenrider glanced over at the weyrlingmaster and chuckled. "Looks like you'll be in good hands, anyway. I mean, he's managed a whole class before!" But there was no malice or doubt in his voice; if the leaders had confidence in the man, C'lon was satisfied, even if there was a tiny thrill of worry. After all, Dan would be responsible for his baby, who was a handful herself. And... did she have a security shoe? She'd always been a little odd, but most people preferred something a little softer to snuggle.

Callie didn't notice the worry. She laughed in response to C'lon's quip, though, and added, "Baby old people? At least he seems like he has a sense of humor." That personality trait was important to her, although she wasn't foolish enough to assume that it extended to duties. "Shells, nineteen minutes! I have to go, Da... I have to track down Ryli and the owner of this amazing flying shoe. I'll see you as soon as I can, though, ok?" Without waiting for an answer, she gave him a quick one-armed hug and darted away into the crowd, craning her neck as she searched high (for Ryli) and low (for the right-sized foot).
^
Mopsy93
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 08:12 PM
Pridesecond

1337 Posts
1709 Marks

Higat, Tigah, and Shiff were happy to be together again with Kiveena though the eldest two of the pets were disappointed in the fact that Kiveena hadn’t Impressed and would have to wait for a yet unknown amount of time for the next Hatching. Of course the sole pillie was more interested in finding something suspicious with the smallest details that weren’t even that threatening in the slightest. With that in mind Kiveena had also disallowed Shiff from accompanying her to the newest Weyrling class’s Hatching Feast after quickly changing out of her robes and armor that were standard for a Hatching.

The introduction of the new class was pretty shandard, it wasn’t like this was the first time standing for a Queen Hatching with this being her second time really though last time it was a good deal larger even with the death of several eggs. Though in all fairness that Hatching was from a Queen that was transferred in much to some’s annoyance with the events leading up to the Copper and her rider’s transfer to Dalibor and two of Dalibor’s Queens transferring out just before and shortly after not helping in the slightest. Despite all of that Kiveena was still happy for the Candidates that had Impressed and those that had Impressed from the stands.

PM
^
Lark
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Calina had impressed. The information ran through Amarylia's mind countless times as she tried to understand the full ramifications of what had happened. Her friend, her newest friend that she had made, had impressed. The girl had come in through her life like a summer's breeze; witty and exciting, and then gone in another breath of air. Would they still be friends now that Callie had her burgundy to take care of? She was going to lead such a different life now, one that would be primarily focused around Thread and dragons.

I'm being so selfish! Ryli wanted to cry out at herself in scolding remarks about how unfair it was for her to be thinking of how she was going to be handling this. Calina had impressed! That was good news. It was fantastic news! Honestly, she really did try to feel happy for the other girl without also experiencing any of the guilt or even jealousy that came with the emotion. It's alright to feel bad. Even the candidatemaster told us that. Okay, so it may not have been exactly what the rider had told them all after the hatching had come to a close, but it had been fairly obvious that none of the candidates left standing should feel bad about it.

Their bondmate just hadn't been there on the sands. That was all. Right? The red haired weaver bite at the inside of her cheek with a huff as she slipped into proper clothes again, shoes included. At least she had a token to remember the hatching by. The oversized shoe was pressed against her chest by arms wrapped tightly around it as Amarylia walked to the dining hall for the lunchtime feast. She'd have to find who it belonged to. Keeping it wouldn't be right, even if the events leading up to the shoe had been funny to say the least. Maybe if she had been younger, or more inclined to true selfishness, the weaver would have held onto her 'treasure' with all the fervor and audacity of a true pirate.

Perhaps that was why the dragonets hadn't wanted her this time? Was that something bad to say about her friend though... oh, Faranth sometimes this contemplation thing was difficult. A pout formed along the candidate's lips as Ryli wove her way through the growing crowd, her fingers clutching at the shoe as if it were some prize she wasn't ready to give up yet. It was a memory. If nothing else, it would always be a memory. Amarylia just hoped that it wouldn't be the last memory she would make with her friend, or on the sands. Why would it be though, all of that was her choice, wasn't it? Even staying friends with the newly made weyrling was still a choice she had a part in making.

The only reason why she wouldn't wanna stay friends is if I completely went and disappeared. The girl forced herself to remember that as she stepped over to the familiar form of a weyrling being attack-hugged by a larger man. Her feet skittered to a halt as she blinked wide-eyed at the scene playing out, cheeks flushed as she began to realize that she had probably stepped into a personal situation. By the few words that she picked up, Amarylia was able to tell that the man was Calina's father, and an odd pang shot through Ryli. Was her uncle somewhere around here? Her aunt, or her cousins? Had her father come back from sea in time to watch the hatching? No. The weaver doubted some of that, and she knew it shouldn't matter anyway.

Amarylia had only known her birth family so well because of her aunt's job as a creche worker. If it hadn't been for that, the weaver knew, she may not have cared about this at all. The fact remained however, that she did care. Awkward was a familiar look for the girl at least. So, there was that. I won't be seeming out of the ordinary. Small favors and all that. It wasn't until Calina's head began bobbing about like a wherry that Amarylia realized she was being looked for. "Callie! I'm over here." The weyrlingmaster had said that they only had so much time, but Ryli figured a few minutes wouldn't hurt much as she shuffled over to where the burgundyrider stood. "Congratulations, by the way. Uh...oh! Oh! You still have the shoe! I got mine too! ...well, not mine, mine, but you know." And yes, that shoe was held up and shaken with a sudden wave of excitement.

@Phryne (Calina)
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 30 2016, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

His soft brown eyes had already melted to a waxy, glazed consistency, but several minutes after his last bite of wherry roast Qaelis squinched his eyelids down till the color in his gaze had almost vanished beneath short black eyelashes. He rested his hands on his blue dress shirt, above the seam written by a crimson sash. In-between the Hatching and lunch, he had found some articles to wear beyond his heavy Winter coat, and travel between creche and Dining Hall was indoors anyway. He flattened his palms against his stomach, flopped his tongue against the corner of his mouth, then thinned out his lips till his face entire resembled some little reptiloid's waiting for a vtol.

"I ate too much," he announced drowsily a few minutes- he thought it was a few minutes -later, when an upbeat sitar chord roused him from digestion. He allowed his eyes open a crack: most of the other brats had gone, there were a few boys at the end of the table playing with bone shard cards and ignoring him. He had no audience. The young lump started to maneuver his legs over to the walking man's side of the bench, only to find a tall and fuzzy comrade blocking him. The feline even put a paw on his knee. "You found a path all the way here by yourself?" Qaelis wondered at his pet.

The wild hybrid stuck his whiskered snout closer, pink nose flexing at Qaelis, then canting toward the tabletop. Qaelis noticed an as-yet plate of wherry roast scraps and juices, and all endearment left his face. "Oh." He picked up the plate, looked around for drudges, then slipped it under the table. His feline slipped down off the bench, not to be seen again but perhaps heard whenever his muzzle brushed the knife resting on the plate.

@Raining
^
C'tal
 Posted: Jul 31 2016, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Carintal sat alone at a table eating quietly. He had imagined the Hatching to be more. Instead, he'd stood in the hot sand like an idiot and watched as others Impressed. What did they have that he didn't, he wondered. Or perhaps, the dragonrider who took him here was wrong and that he never had any qualities a dragon wanted in the first place.

Sabine chipped in protect, sending Carintal a wave of affection through their link. He smiled and stroked his fire-lizard lovingly, at least he had Sabine. She cocked her head to look him in the eye and made another chirp. Her eyes whirred with bright colors and she stared intently at him, a wave of encouragement came over Carintal. Sabine was reminding him that he would Impress someday.

As Carintal stood, he put away his disks and began to walk out to do whatever he had to. Suddenly, Sabine darted off deeper into the room, forcing Carintal to follow after her. He spied Sabine dancing around a pink fire-lizard squeaking happily. Apparently Sabine was introducing herself. Carintal scooped up Sabine and smiled apologetically to a girl he barely knew, Perenelle "Sorry about that, Sabine tends to get excited around other fire-lizards a bit too much. She didn't meet that many back home, so now she goes overboard. Again, my apologizes." With that, Carintal turned to leave.
^
Raining
 Posted: Jul 31 2016, 05:36 PM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks

They put her in a dress.

It was a Feast, they said. Little ladies wore dresses they said.

Well what they ended up with was a very unhappy little girl in something more dressy than she normally tended to wear. What she didn't let her part with was her too-big hat, which clashed considerably with the pale yellow of her dress. The dress was a hand-me-over, because Serlie didn't own any "nice/formal" clothing that fit her anymore. Now that she was living full time in the creche... she was pretty much their responsibility.

Her shoes were a little above ankle high and were black, so they clicked against the stone as she was paraded into the hatching feast, grumbling a 'no I don't want food' and then uttering a 'fine' as a plate was put into her hands anyway. The green eyed girl ignored most of the other kids... due to her own slight shyness and also mainly due to the fact that she had found her target friend to sit with.

The girl slid into a seat next to him and set her plate of unwanted food in front of her. "I like your shirt," she said as she used her fork to push around some of her vegetables. Blue happened to be one of her favorite colors after all, even if her favorite blue was now gone... But that was re-pushed from her mind in favor of smiling a little at Qaelis' kitten. "Have you named him yet? I haven't heard you call him by name," she added, before fiddling with her hat.

@Azhdarchid

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 31 2016, 06:55 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Qaelis looked at the shirt in question, then smiled at Serlie. After examining the vegetables on her plate, he stole a clean knife from a passing drudge's plate and ran a few of the questionable colored plantforms through. He helped Serlie clear her plate as such, popping cauliflower and greensprout into his mouth and leaving only the more flavorful and colorful beet and carrot.

"No," he issued as he popped the tip of the dough-knife from his mouth. His eyebrows lifted for a few seconds, then he let his hand down to relax his wrist against the tabletop. "His name is Kitten. Or Tom. That is what I call him when I need him. He is still a kitten." His hips shifted from side to side, and he grimaced briefly. "They forced you to wear that," he announced upon recovering, wagging the knifetip at her dress. His eyes rose pointedly to her oversized hat, then he grinned. "Why?" he wondered at her, glancing at some of the crecheminders observing the kids' table from the back of the Hall, his focus back on the dress proper. "It makes you look too much a girl."

The hybrid feline under the table finished off the scrap plate in record time, and took a few steps away from Qaelis to sniff Serlie's black shoes, and the hem of her dress. He walked out under the bench between them, yowling at the two brats, only to shrink back under the table when a drudge came bustling past with an extra knife to replace the one that had been stolen.

@Raining
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Aug 1 2016, 08:48 PM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

Ylva didn't know what to think.

The teen had gone to the Hatching that morning to see who the six newest riders were to be, and see if any were likely to wind up in the Queen's Wing later. That the majority of the clutch went to people in the Stands didn't surprise her; that was par for the course for such things. It was the choice of a certain spectator that threw her off.

It was the re-Impression of Vadi that had her rattled. Vadivananthan, who was once Blueweyrling V'iva alongside herself and A'yeena (who had long since transfered away). V'iva, who (supposedly) had such a strong sex drive that he couldn't wait the last three months before twining tails with some random fool he found at that one Feast, and lost poor Morth forever.

Vadi, who spent the last few turns doing simple drudge work and putting his broken soul back together, unable to be anything else again. Vadi, who attended this morning's Hatching at the invitation of Valeath, Morth's mother, who sometimes did things for reasons not ever her rider understood, let alone anyone else. Vadi, who was chosen by another Blue over those who were supposed to be the chosen, and who was now...sitting at the Weyrling table and using some other name than just Vadi.

Ylva was torn by the whole matter. On the one hand, she didn't want her former classmate to spend the rest of his life in that bottomless pit of loss that everyone said was the existence of the dragonless. On the other, well, it was Vadi's own stupidity that led to the death of Morth to begin with. He shouldn't be allowed to return to the ranks of dragonriders again, not when there were so many others who were waiting for Theirs instead.

If Vadi was indeed fated to get a new bonded, then the new one should have been a wher instead; she had heard that the 'feeling' of the bond between the two species was just different enough that the human mind could adjust to it better. Or something like that; she didn't quite understand it, and honestly didn't want first-hand experience with that idea.

For the moment, though, Ylva decided to leave her thoughts on the matter alone, given that she had no way of resolving any of it. It wasn't her responsibility in the end, after all; that now rested with the Weyrlingmaster, Dan'lusian, to make sure Vadi wasn't stupid again and betweened this new Blue fellow, or somehow betweened his classmates too.

What she wanted to do now was eat her lunch and get on with her duties for the rest of the day. Which the teen did, sitting right where she could get a good view of the Weryling table, watching the newest riders eat their meals, and get used to their new mindmates. Three of them were men, she noted, the same age as Vadi. The other two were a girl close to her own age, and a boy barely young enough to Stand, let alone Impress. Perhaps she and Path could talk to them later? She hadn't been much older than the boy when the Tan chose her, and she was around the girl's age now. Perhaps she could help them adjust to their new duties sometime.

After they've had their first few lessons, of course.

The shiny little baby snyt zipping towards the kitchens didn't go unnoticed. A certain Cyan firelizard spotted the flying little jewel and took off after it, leaving her fair behind for a bit. Mystique always had a nose for finding shiny things to bring back to her territory, and the little snyt was right up her alley. She wasn't going to let this little shiny thing escape her, no she wasn't. Not if she had any say in the matter.

Meanwhile, her human Lerian had other, more important things on her mind. Like the fact that her slightly older cousin now had a DRAGON! A big bright green one! A Viridian, if she recalled her lessons right (which she always did). She knew Lyo always wanted on since coming to the Weyr; and now he had a ranking one even!

The minute the Weyrlingmaster said the new Weyrlings could have visitors for a few minutes, the girl was out of her seat like a shot, headed straight for her cousin. "LyolyoLYO!!!" she cried as she all but tackled the boy in his seat. "What'shisnameishenicecanIpethim canhehaveanyofthefoodontheplatescanyoucomelivewithusbackinDaddy'sweyr Zeuthwon'tmindhavingsomeonetokeephimcompany andit'srightabovewheretheWeyrlingslivesoyouwon'tmissclassesany andyouandyourdragoncanstillcomehaveadventureswithme-" she only stopped when an adult hand landed on her shoulder.

"Lerain! That's enough. Let him up." It had taken G'len a few moments to get from his seat at the Weyrleaders table to where his nephew was now sitting. "Don't overwhelm him, or you might hurt his dragon." He didn't go into what lethal things that hurt could drive the baby dragon into doing; he didn't want his little girl saddled with unbearable guilt over a might've been involving her family.

Once the almost-8 turn-old got herself under control and off her cousin, G'len turned his attention back his nephew. "Congratulations, Lyo!. He's a fine looking fellow, your Viridian. He'll be an asset to whatever Wing he's assigned to when you both graduate." He clapped the boy on the shoulder, before giving him a hug. "You did well, my boy," he told him quietly.

Taking a seat next to the newest Viridianrider, G'len looked over the rest of the new Weyrlings at the table, taking note of one in particular, the new Burgundyrider. Or more specifically, the prize(s) she and her Candidate friend held in their hands yet/still. Specifically, the shoes that that young Blue stole off his feet and tossed onto the Sands that morning, and which wound up in the possession of the two girls now talking with relatives. If he played his cards right, he could get his shoes back and not have anyone publicly embarrassed by the earlier incident, once they realized whose shoes they were holding.

Looking at the girl still a Candidate - Amarylia, he though her name was - and smiled a friendly smile at her and her friend (Calina, he thought). "Nice shoes," was his opener. "Are they yours?"

@Phryne, @Lark, @Rowana
PMEmail
^
Phryne
 Posted: Aug 1 2016, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Calina heard her name and turned so fast she almost fell over. "Ryli!" She bounded over with a huge grin and her free arm open for a hug. "Thank you! I wish yours had been on the Sands. Oh, you have to come meet him sometime!" There was a shadow of guilt in her face, but then she laughed in response to the shoe-flapping and continued, "I do! And so do you! I figured the feast would be a good time to find the owner." There was a wealth of emotion behind her words, worry the strongest. Would Amarylia still want to be friends? After all, she'd been a Candidate for much longer, but Gouth had picked Callie; in Ryli's place, Callie wasn't sure how well she'd deal with a situation like that. I hope she does still want to be friends, but I can understand why she might not. Oh, this whole "having friends" thing is hard! Callie was somewhat reassured by the fact that Ryli had gotten her attention, but it was so hard to trust that good things weren't tempered by equally bad things. A dragon in exchange for a friend didn't seem fair, but then again, in a way, it almost did.

Speaking of the owner of the shoes... Callie overheard G'len's comment and glanced at him, blushing. "They are lovely shoes, but I think they were a temporary loan. Do you happen to..." She glanced at his feet, and then his smile, and giggled. "They wouldn't happen to be yours originally, would they?" He seemed to be important, judging by his shoes, at least, and she wasn't quite sure how to address him.

@Lark, @Tigersilk
^
Rowana
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 08:10 PM
Jr. Weyrleader

809 Posts
347 Marks

Ly'on nearly choked on bite of food he'd been about to eat when he was tackled in his seat. He grinned wide at Lerian. Her excitement was infectious, not that he needed much encouragement. He almost couldn't understand any of her string of questions, but he could guess most of them. "Thanks, Lerian..." he started.

Before he could answer any questions though, a dry cackle sounded in his head. She yours, Ly'on boy? I didn't think ye were man enough! Ly'on turned bright red. His growing connection with his dragon's thoughts meant that he understood the implication. She's my COUSIN! he shot back, almost too embarrassed and shocked to think straight. Maybe dragons didn't care about that kind of thing, but he did! Heck, he didn't think of any girls that way yet. They were just...girls. Gruyeth just laughed more. To each his own, boy, the dragon said wickedly.

Ly'on was glad he was spared the rest of that conversation by the timely arrival of his Uncle. He staightened up proudly at the praise. That's right, he was a rider now! He didn't want anyone to say he was too young anymore. Well, still young enough for hugs though. He was happy to give his uncle one in return. "Thanks, Uncle G'len!" he beamed through giddy happiness. "I'll make you proud, you'll see!"

While G'len took his seat and spoke to one of the other weyrlings, Ly'on turned back to his cousin. "His name is Gruyeth," he told her excitedly. He wasn't speaking as fast as she had, but it was hard to hold back now that he had gotten started. "He's nice in a way," Ly'on paused, not sure how to explain about Gruyeth's rather crude jokes. Maybe best not to. "He likes to be pet behind his headnobs," he went on. Oi! Don't ye give away all my weaknesses! Ly'on grinned, especially when Gruyeth poked his head up so Lerian could do just that. Who didn't like a little pampering by a pretty lady?

"I dunno if he can have any of my food," he went on, glancing down at Dan'lusian and wondering if he should ask. He didn't know enough to know which foods were safe. Gruyeth answered that by snorted at him. I ate plenty. You need fattening up! Yer far too skinny. Ly'on smiled at him. Having two conversations at once was going to take getting used to. He grinned at Lerian again. "Sorry, he keeps talking," he explained all the pauses. It was hard to describe how strange and wonderful that experience was. He couldn't wait for Lerian to get a dragon of her own too!

"I dunno about staying with you still," he admitted apoligetically. He hadn't really thought about it. He knew the weyrlings usually stayed in their own rooms together. But he was younger than all of them. Maybe they would make an exception? Then again, he didn't think he wanted special treatment just because he was young. And Uncle G'len had told him all about how important it was for the bond to be strong the first couple months after his mother had gotten Gask. Probably it would be just him and Gruyeth for a while.

"Don't worry!" he pipped up quickly. "We'll have adventures soon! And I can take you flying!" That would be so much fun! He could barely contain his excitement at the idea. Though Gruyeth could apparently contain his as he muttered about how his life was becoming a ferry service.

@Tigersilk
PM
^
Lark
 Posted: Aug 3 2016, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

It only took the exuberant expression on her friend's features to tell Amarylia that all would be well. This was a matter of how she herself would handle the fallout of having not impressed. Calina seemed plenty happy to have found her friend again no matter what had changed, and that came at least as a relief to Ryli as she grinned back. The curve of her lips made her cheeks sore with the glee they took in playing over her expression as she nodded her head emphatically.

"No, no! It's alright. When it is meant to happen, it will happen. I have faith in that Calina. You impressed though, and how wonderful that is!"

She wouldn't let it get to her. She wouldn't let it ruin her friend's day. Amarylia was determined in that as she stepped into the offered space for an arm to wind around her slender figure, her own arms reaching out to encompass Callie in kind. Too quickly were both the redhead and the weyrling distracted however, Ryli jumping back with excitement at the realization that they both had something left to share between them from their last moments together in candidacy. "Right. I was thinking that too! We just have to-"

Quiet cut into her stream of words as she caught sight of who was coming closer, and with polite sincerity, the weaver tipped her head down in greeting. The Weyrleader, after all, wasn't just someone you ignored. Heat flushed her cheeks and swept across to the tips of her ears where they grew almost unbearable as her hands clasped tighter around the shoe in her grasp. At least Calina was able to jump in with no problem to try and answer the man, although the girl wondered if that was only because her friend had not yet realized whose shoes they had 'taken'.

A giggle caught her attention as the copper haired girl finally picked up her gaze shyly from where it had been inspecting a spot on the ground to the Weyrleader and Calina. He was...smiling, and Calina was laughing? Confusion crossed the grey of her eyes before it was replaced with a softer mirth than showed in the weyrling as Ryli bit her lower lip to keep back the laughter that had begun to grow inside her at the infectious sound of her friend. "Weyrleader G'len, we found these and thought it best to hold onto them in case one of the hatchlings decided to make off with them again. Do you know who they may belong to? It'd be a relief if they could find their owner."

@Phryne (Calina) @Tigersilk (G'len)
^
Kisha-Ra
 Posted: Aug 4 2016, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

If asked Handler would tell the asker that she was nothing but happy for the new weyrlings, and both Handler and the theoretical asker would know that it was kind of a lie, but it was also what you were supposed to say in this situation. Besides, she told herself, she was happy for them, she’d just have been happier if she was one of them. It had been frustrating to watch hatchling after hatchling climb into the stands, although it had been amusing to see the reactions, one of the new weyrlings didn’t seem happy with her surprise dragon at all. She wondered what they all made of the weyrlingmaster, he seemed a cheery sort.

Disappointment aside Handler was not the sort to miss a feast, especially one where special dishes might be served. She’d already polished off a plate of roast meat, getting more than one type of roast on there too, tubers, vegetables, thick gravy and crusty bread. Now she was wondering if she should have cake or pie, or maybe hold off a bit and see if any of those sweet spiced nuts would be coming out. So many foods, so little time. On the table next to the girl’s empty plate Dragon snoozed, full of scraps and smeared with gravy, the pink firelizard had been very enthusiastic about taking part in the feast, so much so that she hadn’t even groomed herself before falling asleep with her chin on the handle of a fork. Wher shot her offspring a few looks but the green evidently decided that Dragon was a grown ‘lizard and responsible for herself.

M’yal was very proud of his latest work, and where better to show it off than a hatching feast. Particulary since this hatching had gone off pretty well. Except for half the babies climbing into the audience, but that was just part of the normal drama of Dalibor hatchings. No one was maimed or killed so this was entirely a happy feast, at least from M’yal’s point of view, he never had to endure the disappointment of being left standing on the sands, so any bitterness on the part of those who were still candidates was alien to the bluerider.

The bluerider had eaten carefully to avoid dropping anything on his fine clothes, which would be a disaster since he really wanted to show them off. The stark white of his shirt and the simple yet elegant black pants had been chosen specially to show off the upper garment, a deep blue sleeveless vest that fell to M’yal’s mid calf and buttoned down the front. What made it special (aside from the stunning colour, he was really proud of how deep and even the dye had come out) was that the lower portion was nearly as full as a lady’s skirt. M’yal just knew he’d look stunning when the dancing started, and it was all he could do to resist getting up and fluttering around just to feel it swish around him.
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Aug 6 2016, 08:36 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

"Stop staring at him," a broad-shouldered figure adjacent to the tanrider said. It was another member of the Queen's Wing, a black dress coat over his back, the crimson inner lining appearing in hints only where his body met the stone bench. "Evaluating why monsters choose monsters as their mates is folly." His own head turned, gazing up at the leadership table where their Wingleader resided, along with the new Jr. Weyrleader. "As is guessing why they turned out abominations in the first place."

But Q'sis discovered too how easy it was to gaze from the Queen's table to the Weyrlings'. He had already finished his food, wiped his lips, but as he made to rise V'di was again in sight, ahead of him as he flattened his palms on the tabletop. "If only he were not Valeath's favorite, he might have drowned himself and spared the Weyr. Not all dragons are like the one he had before. All he had to do was understand the creature."

He was standing now. He stuck out his hand into Ylva's view, the left one with all the fingers intact, though the back of it was still blending into the scar tissue of his wrist. He had a ring over almost every finger, and something golden sliding just past the hem of his sleeve. The hand itself was large enough to challenge the diameter of some of the plates on the table before them. "Dance with me," he ordered.

@Tigersilk
^
Raining
 Posted: Aug 8 2016, 10:10 PM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks

Serlie listened to Qaelis' explanation as to why his kitten didn't have a proper name, she sucked in a quiet breath to still her own argumentative thoughts. Afterall, her flit was named Eldy, she couldn't exactly harp on him too much. "Tom. Okay, its a name. But thats how kittens and other animals get used to things. You call them a name their whole life they'll recognize it. It will be harder to rename him later on, I think. But Tom is nice." There. She had positives in there alongside her own opinion, that was okay right? That's how that worked?

She scowled as soon as attention was brought to her dress and she pulled at the hem of it a bit, "I know!" she paused, "there's nothing wrong with looking like a girl. But I don't hafta wear a dress to look nice,' she pouted as she picked up her fork and stabbed it into one of the veggies. "I look nice in my own clothes.. but I guess they're getting a little small. Still." She peered up at her hat, which as if on cue, fell into her eyes. "I wouldn't let them take this though," she smiled finally before pushing it back up, and popping one of the remaining veggies in her mouth.

The feline's noise was enough to earn Serlie's attention, even as if he cowered away from the drudge. "All I got left are veggies, lil Tom, you wouldn't like it," she told him as if the kitten would understand and sit on every word.

@Azhdarchid

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Aug 9 2016, 07:35 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

"Mmmmm," Qaelis appeared to be firming up for debate on the matter of pet understanding, but wisdom got the better of him as he just stuck another vegetable in his mouth. A more visible displacement from his own thoughts happened as a noise very like a crecheworker's scolding emerged from Serlie's lips. Qaelis chewed on his vegetable and stared wide-eyed at the table till his apprehension dissipated.

It did not take long: "The aunties complain about me getting too big all the time, so I just grab the stuff from the kids a couple turns up." He paused to observe Serlie's reaction to this factoid before pressing on. "Though Father buys me things and has his Weaver tailor them for me. He does not seem to mind that I grow out of them too fast." Another searching pause. "I am glad they let you keep your hat. Um, and that they dressed you up. You are right, it is okay to look like a girl sometimes."

Tom chose that moment to slither through the gap between him and the table and apply himself to Qaelis's lap. Qaelis was still reacting to the manifestation of the giant hybrid when Tom's head ticked forward and brushed a fuzzy brow against the boy's cheek. The boy put an arm around his pet, and Tom rested his chin on Qaelis's shoulder, gazing slit-eyed and half-lidded at nothing in particular.

Qaelis had to peep around him back at Serlie. "You're...are not going to leave, are you? Because your clothes are getting too small, I mean- because you are getting older. Old enough to Apprentice or get your dragon or something. You do not have to go. A dragon will find you even on the bench. The rest of it is just a big ceremony for the Holders." His other arm wound against Tom's smooth back and he hugged the kitten as if he were only an especially large and stripey doll.

@Raining
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Aug 16 2016, 07:51 PM
Wingleader

1073 Posts
885 Marks

"If it could be figured out what creates "monsters" to begin with, then they can be prevented from happening. Or maybe controlled somehow, to make them serve the good of all. That might be useful to know, how to do that," Ylva told her wingmate evenly. She knew Q'sis' rep, both among some of her other wingmates and among the rest of the Weyr's denizens; basically he was a man a young girl like herself should avoid getting too involved with if she wanted to keep her innocent happiness, such as it was.

"Then again, it also depends on what you think makes up a monster, too. What is monstrous to one, is virtuous to another, from what I've seen of things," things as shown to her by her dragon with the strange universal worldview. But for all that, I don't wish him dead for his crimes. Just that his new partner be something other than another dragon is all" Though she did scoff inwardly a bit at the idea of just 'understanding' a dragon in order to keep it under control. She had been with Path three turns by now, and she really couldn't say she truly understood her Tan any better now than she did then. She just knew enough to do their job; the rest would likely come after more turns of living and growing up and see what life had to offer her, was all.

The request - no, order - for a dance made the girl bristle. Awfully rude of him, making demands like he owned the place. She ought to just tell him 'no' for that, except she didn't think she could do so without retaliation of some type. The older man struck her as just the type to do that, if someone refused his orders.

"Oh, okay," was what she told him, in a bland tone of voice as she took the other Tanrider's hand, wondering if she could get a better -and discrete - look at all the rings and things. "But nothing else. Don't want anything else." While she was interested in the story behind the scars on his hand (and arm? And body?), she could figure out pretty well what activity would likely be required of her to find out their story. And that activity was one she didn't ever want to do, at least for a good long time. Nopenopenope. OF course, that assumed she figured correctly what else a man in his thirties did want with a girl in her teens; she could be wrong about that.

Though if push came to shove, she figured she could always have one of her flitters find a tunnel snake and drop it on him, to give her time to escape the situation. That could work, she thought.

@Azhdarchid

G'len grinned at the words of the two young teens before him. They had indeed guessed correctly who owned the shoes, though he wasn't going to confirm it in front of the others present. Not really, anyway. "I do know who owns them, yes. And I can make sure they get back to where they belong later today, if you let me have them," he said pleasantly as he reached for the shoes. "I'll have a drudge take them to my spot at the headtable and I'll return them to their proper places later, after the feast."

His smile made it clear that he wasn't offended in the least at the matter of the girls wearing his shoes while sandal-less on the Sands earlier. Heck, he'd have done the same in their position, he was sure of it. IF something like that had happened the night he got Zeuth, that was.

@Lark, @Phryne

"Gruyeth," Lerian repeated the name. "He's pretty," said as she gave the little dragon scratches behind his headknobs. While she didn't know what exactly the dragon said to her cousin to make him turn red like that, she figured it was something off-color, like adults sometimes liked to say to each other. In other words, stuff she wasn't interested in at her age. "Hi, Gruyeth. Like it out here so far?"

She giggled at Lyo's comment about two conversations going at once. "I'm used to it; Daddy does it all the time with Zeuth." Her face brightened at the idea of adventures on dragonback. She clapped her hands together in delight. "That's a good idea. Gruyeth can ask Zeuth for places to see, once he can go between and back again. He knows where all the good places are to hunt and explore and things are. He'll share with Gruyeth, I'm sure. I can ask him too, once you're cleared to go on adventures with me." That said adventures would also require the permission - and presence - of her father went unsaid; she was sure she could get the Bronze to do what she wanted without the human half saying anything.

@Rowana
PMEmail
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Aug 19 2016, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

"Talking does you no credit. Put your hand up." And he wrapped his bejeweled fingers over hers thumb along the width of her palm. It was more cup than interlock, the trunk of each digit making the latter pose potentially uncomfortable for his fellow tanrider. He spread his other hand against the small of her back, pressed his fingertips into her clothes, and his swarthy face raised curtain on a flashy smile. "That is better." A couple turns, a quartet of steps in, and Q'sis was looking awfully bright.

The pressure at Ylva's back did not abate, but the older rider canted his head away from the crowds playing accompaniment to their movement, and toward her. He raised his eyebrows. "Though you do not seem to have grown at all since Impression. You look a child." He allowed her arm down, as the dance required, but rather than perching his shoulder she might have had to settle for the breast of his coat, alongside the golden and pale brown fibers of his wing knots.

Light traced watery reflections over the sleeves of his jacket, some coating or leathery architecture prompting an illusion of the ocean's diamond surface. Of course given the jacket's color, it would be a black sea, turning and refracting beneath a storm. "Now there is nothing to talk about," he proposed, voice warm with satisfaction. He leaned closer. "There is a lift coming. You must hold your body like a board in the center. I will not drop you, but there is a chance that in your inexperience you may drop yourself."

@Tigersilk
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates