April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

A Change of Pace, SU:17 { Dreamdiners 1-3 Month Lesson }
Catsitta
 Posted: Jun 1 2017, 11:17 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks
Member Inventory: View

[This lesson takes place close to the end of the 1 month mark. There have been other off-screen classes before this one. Feel free to have non-weyrling characters pass through and interact. Just be aware that if they are disruptive, Nia will ask them to leave.]

Yo'vro suggested it. About a month after he first visited her office, Nia at last had all the arrangements made. She was quite proud of herself. With the summer upon them, it was the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors, and what better way than through camping? Today was a deviation from the normal classroom setting or structured lesson plan. Schedules were cleared of chores for today so that they could have a nice, extended experience as a class in the warmth of Rukbat's rays. She had so much planned for them to do! She practically vibrated with excitement. Learning, she believed, happened much easier when there was a strong feeling associated with it. Joy, sorrow, fear--as long as it was intense, it stuck stuff to the mind easier than boredom. Nia was determined to make sure that the skills they practiced today never left the weyrling's minds, simply because it would be, well, unforgettable!

Ever the optimist, Nia did not linger on the things that could potentially go awry. Instead she focused on making the good happen.

Once her class arrived in their typical room, she led them out to the lake. It wasn't a surprise that they were going camping in the weyrbowl. Nia not only told them, but had them building makeshift tents the previous day in preparation for the 'survival' aspect of the lesson. Some were more successful than others. She wasn't judging them on whether they actually made a shelter that didn't collapse with their group members or not. Just introduced them to the concept. Anyone who succeeded was invited to bring said 'tent' with them to the lake so that the class members could shelter from the heat if needed.

Nia observed her weyrlings with a buoyant smile. Her Pink, Koeneth, laid behind her, packs hung from her riding gear, her head tilted with quiet curiosity.

"Alright! As you all know, today we're having a bit of a change of pace compared to our usual
lessons. Today we will be exploring a couple of new skills that will come in handy for you later on, as well as testing you on the basics so I know where you all stand. As you all know, bathing and oiling your dragon is perhaps the most important aspect of caring for your dragon. They grow fast and without daily oiling, risk dry, cracked hides. Today, you will bathe and oil your dragon and I will inspect your work. You should have a firm grasp on this by now, so I'll be keeping an extra close eye on how well you all do. Koeneth will be asking your dragons how they feel you are doing as well, seeing if you understand their preferences. Communication is key, and knowing whether your partner likes being oiled from the snout to tail or from left-to-right is important. You share a mind link. Sensing and interpreting each other's emotions can prevent stress, and since some dragons are less prone to complaining, help you know when something is wrong and how to best amend it," Nia said, walking backwards towards her Pink. "I have brought the supplies you need with me. So we will soon start on that. But first, a little summary of what I have planned for today. Introduction to fishing and swimming after you tend to and feed your dragons, if you haven't fed them already this morning. Don't worry if you can't swim. I'm not going to throw you in the deep end. Just know we'll need to work on that. Swimming is a good skill to have and helps build muscle. If you guys catch anything, we will have a midday meal and a brief lesson on how to build a campfire. If not, we'll move onto flight formation and cover some basic tactics. Keep alert, I'll be asking questions and quizzing your knowledge through the day. Since this camping trip is just a daylight event, we will dismiss for the evening meal. Understood?"

She glanced around to make sure her class hadn't zoned out on her. Nia clapped her hands together and beamed, "Alright, let's start. I'll be providing any supplies you need, so just come over to Koeneth and I'll hand you brushes and buckets of whatever you need. Feel free to feed your dragonet's first if you would like, you will find food appropriate for your partner to Koeneth's left. And just so you know, I'm not the only set of eyes here. I've asked Weyrlingmaster R'en to assist. He is around, so don't think that if I'm not looking, that someone isn't. Don't wander off without express permission. Treat this camping trip as if we are actually in the wilds. Strolling off unprotected is a good way to get hurt or even killed." Her voice took a serious note. "I hope I am making myself clear. Now, go on. Set up tents if you brought one that actually stands up and get started!"

@Rowana @Zane @Ruriko @Rii @Ruin @Leo @Aftershock @Starbuck @Sakoru @Tobes @Lee @Blot

ooc// Aaaaand, lesson posted!

PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Jun 2 2017, 10:54 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

If A'ndel's eyes could roll any harder they'd be somewhere outside the Weyr by now, floating out to sea. Their Weyrlingmaster was making them camp right outside of a perfectly serviceable Barracks. He would be quite capable of hitting the side of the building with a stone from where she would be forcing them to sit by the lake pretending that everything was dangerous. Not to mention that anyone could simply walk in and then walk out again, but he...he would be stuck. Playing pretend. As if that was going to teach anyone anything at all. The boy was rifling through his chests, putting on his swimming shorts and picking out a tunic for if it got cold later. Soooo stupid he found himself whining internally.

She'd had them make tents the other day. Tents. Out of hide and fur like they were Wastewanderers. It wasn't as if they didn't have dragons and couldn't just between back to the Weyr. It wasn't like the whole world was full of caves or what-have-you. Did people actually camp? It was almost unbearable. He'd spent so many turns watching the Candidates and Weyrlings lesson; there'd been obstacle courses, timed trials, rescue missions, treasure hunting, and they got a brand new Weyrlingmaster and what did she want them to do? Sit a dragonslength outside the Barracks door and pretend they were somewhere else.

Arceus watched him from a short distance, his penetrating gaze never faltering from his boy; it would never occur to him that Arendel was now A'ndel, and that he had a dragon. Those things were not his things. His pack had grown in size, and even when the Viridian would grow to be forty-some feet long, it would never stop the Icehowler from feeling defensive over those he guarded.

He hadn't even bothered to make a tent yesterday, he'd arranged the sticks in a triangle and thrown a hide over it and called it good. Needless to say, he wouldn't be providing anything for anyone. Ganhaarth had been amused at his antics, if reproachful, and was already out in the lake swimming around and filling up on fish. And something else...you're in that cave again aren't you, the boy accused. A scaly sort of laugh filtered through his head and he sighed a long explosive breath of air. At least you'll enjoy this. He knew lessons were important, but only if they were actually lessons. He also knew that a lot of the Candidates could be Holdborn and wouldn't have half a clue about any of this, but at the very least Nia could have excused the rest of them.

He'd rather be doing chores than playing pretend.

Fishing out his cloth wide-brimmed hat and tugging it down over his head, A'ndel beat a begrudging retreat from his large room to the common area to mill around with the rest of Nia's victims while waiting for her to organize them. The Icehowler followed, answering a command that the boy gave without thinking. A'ndel dragged his feet on the way out and moved away from the others to go to the lake and splash his hands in it. Wasn't too long into her speech that his pillies started crawling out of the water to greet him. They certainly loved his new living area. There was always a constant stream of the thirteen creatures back and forth through the Barracks and out to the lake; seeing as how some of them were three feet tall, they weren't easy to miss. Aresk nearly bowled him over in her haste to greet him, and as they all slapped him with their antenna he received the distinct impression that they had also been up to no good.

You showed them the cave?

They collect the best treasures

What do you even consider a treasure?

All things

A'ndel crossed his eyes briefly before wrapping his arms around Aresk's shell and flipping her back against him so she couldn't easily wiggle away. Her legs flailed happily in the air as she brushed his face with her antenna. At least they got to be happy. And now it was time to suffer while the Weyrlingmaster taught the babies how to bathe their babies. The boy sighed and released his pillie so he could lope over to Koeneth and claim one of the long-handled hard bristled brushes and a vat of oil. It wasn't like she'd care if he told her he'd bathed Gan this morning, and that he'd not even left the water so he wasn't dirty anyway. A'ndel scanned the water for the Viridian's telltale bubbles, but he was already surfacing, a mouthful of squirming fish caught between his teeth.

He stalked onto the shoreline and spit his wiggling burden at Nia's feet before turning and stalking back into the water, slipping beneath the surface up to his eyeridges before quickly shooting over to where A'ndel was waiting. He must have run into another fish on the way, because all at once there was a great thrashing and spraying of water, his snout briefly appearing with a long silver fishtail slapping at his face. Both fish and dragon disappeared below, only ripples where they had once been. It was only a few heartbeats later that he popped up in front of his boy, inhaling a loud lungful of air to increase his buoyancy and push him up to the surface. A'ndel joined him in the water with a smile, walking in up to his waist, his toes holding tight to the slick rock beneath his feet.

He scrubbed the beast enthusiastically, scraping the bristles over each and every bump, every growing neck ridge, and the feathering of the ridges on his tail. Ganhaarth was a willing recipient, he lolled this way and that in the water like a fat sausage, eventually turning completely over so the boy could scrub his algae-slick underbelly. He'd have to get out to dry off eventually, wasn't much point trying to oil a water-logged hide, but he looked so comfortable. A'ndel threw the brush back to the rocky lake shore and pushed off of the bottom, swimming out to his dragon. His hands found the Viridian's open mouth first, wrapping around gums and teeth and using the dragon to pull himself closer. Affectionately he rubbed the bright blue tongue he found within, laughing as the forked tips wrapped around his fingers.

The pillies joined them merrily, swimming like small projectiles beneath the water, so stunningly fast in comparison to their awkward movements on land. This was bliss, he realized suddenly. Not pretend camping in the Bowl, but being with his dragon. His pillies. Arceus had settled down on the shore a distance from the water, his pink tongue lolling out as Rukbat beat down; eventually he too would dip into the water to cool off, but for now he simply watched his boy and the others. Looking for trouble. Looking for something to hunt. It was all the same for the Howler. A'ndel rolled over onto his back and let his body float, occasionally Gan's tail would brush against his fingertips and he would catch it in his hands, allowing the dragonet to pull him this way or that in the water. The Viridian kept them close to their class, otherwise the gentle current from the falls would have carried them eventually out of the lake, down the river, and out to the sea.

Now that would've been a good camping trip.

A'ndel is open for tags. I will add Xel later once I know how his Infirmary stay went!

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Leo
 Posted: Jun 14 2017, 09:23 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks

'...is it time yet?' "No." '...how about now?' "No." '...now?' Shells, did she really have to answer that? No, it wasn't time to meet the other weyrlings yet, and no, asking was not going to make time fly by faster! The camping trip was going to start when the camping trip started and nothing Tamanith did was going to change that. 'Mine, can we go? Can we go now?' Erochall's eyes rolled up to the heavens. "Alright, fine, fine! We can head over a little early. Just please stop asking me." The green dragonet's head raised from where it had been leaning against one of her forelegs to better focus on Ero's tilted head. 'Really? I mean, it's about sharding time!' The girl sighed. Should she be concerned that her dragonet knew how to cuss? Well, she was going to learn it eventually, so no matter.

Tamanith wiggled her haunches as Hers drew near, green eyes sparkling with excitement. 'We're going camping!' She launched herself at Erochall who only had enough time to release a startled, "Huh?" before she was brought down by the green's weight. "Oof," she hissed as they hit the floor. "Tamanith, give it another month, and you're going to squish me dead." The dragonet bared her teeth in a not-so-sorry grin. 'Woops, my bad.' It took time to extract dragon limbs from human limbs, but soon enough, both of them were back on their feet none the worse for wear. 'Come on MyEro! Let's gooo.' Erochall had never seen her green like this before; she almost seemed as if she were a completely different dragon. No one would connect the temperamental hatchling that had mauled someone on the sands to the explosion of energy that now led her through the Weyrlings' barrack. Each time she thought she knew everything there was to know about Tamanith, the green ended up surprising her. It was quite exciting actually. Who knew a simple trip outside could inspire so much energy?

The dragonet's joy was infectious through their bond and the green weyrling found herself smiling like a ninny as they entered the common room to wait for the Weyrlingmaster's instructions. Which was crazy because unlike Tamanith she was not at all excited for this trip. While Erochall was not against the idea of camping - in fact camping meant adventure and adventure was grand - camping in the bowl of all places seemed downright silly to her. Wasn't the point of camping to be out in the wild, far from home, where everything was new and strange? If all they were going to be doing was camping in the bowl, the girl would much rather be staying in her comparatively luxurious room at the barracks than in a tent in the bowl. Of course, it wasn't like they had a choice in the matter. This was a lesson, not an opportunity to see the sights. She would have to wait until they were cleared for flying to do some real exploration.

After Nia led them down to the lake, Tamanith found herself a spot alongside the water for basking. The dragonet made a pleased rumbling noise deep in her throat as she lay belly-down with her legs stretched out around her. 'Feed me,' she requested, her lids closed tight against Rukbat's light. Erochall spared a glance to the lake where a certain viridian was busy feeding himself without his weyrling having to so much as to lift a finger. 'Yes, your ladyship.' The girl sank into a deep curtsy before her dragon. 'But only if I get a turn at doing nothing as well.' One lid raised to reveal a speck of blue in otherwise green depths. 'Fine.' Ero hid a smile behind her hand, triumphant. Then it was off to Koeneth's side to retrieve a bucket of food, the usual herdbeast chunks it seemed, although there was a fresh pile of fish at Nia's feet as well courtesy of Ganhaarth. "Hope you don't mind." She snatched one of them up, ignoring its thrashing and the feel of its rough scales against her hand, not planning on holding it any longer than necessary.

She toted her prize back to Tamanith who hadn't moved a muscle since she had left. 'Come, eat with me,' the green called out to her clutchsiblings once both bucket and fish were laid out before her. 'Let us enjoy the fine spoils the day has brought to us.'
PM
^
Lee
 Posted: Jun 19 2017, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

If there was one thing their weyrlingmaster was, K’bi thought with a sort of glum reservation, it was an optimist. The woman was so…so very perky, she practically vibrated with glee at and during lessons. Quoth ate it up, her own pleasant nature much in tune with the other’s, and K’bi was happy as long as she was but…but oy. The makeshift tent had taken him no time at all.

It occurred to him, as he watched it, if he were J’mi, he’d think about how often they used to make them, back when they were a bad Fall away from holdless, eking out survival on the farthest edges of Western hold’s dominion.

He wasn’t J’mi, but it was habit to fall into the twin’s way of thinking when it occurred to him to do so, and there was still something itchy and uncomfortable with having to be himself all of the time. You may pretend to be him, if you like, I can pretend to be fooled. Her earnest desire to soothe his unease brought a smile to K’bi’s face, and he affectionately scratched her chin, brother’s way of thinking forgotten.

Distracted by their conversation, he realized he missed the instructions, and mumbled to another weyrlingAh-whoops, wasn’t paying attention. What were we s’posed to do again?

After he got an answer, he began rooting around his own and Nia’s provided materials, while Quoth watched in amusement from his side. It took him a bit, but the end of it, between rope and poles (one stolen from his tent, which he’d modified to accommodate) and he had…well, he had a thing. To the outside, it looked like an odd, disjointed contraption of brushes and ropes, leading to a single rotating lever that had, in a former life, belonged to a pot in the kitchens. Quoth had generously acquired it for him.

Quoth eyed the final product. …Well, we ought to try it, I suppose. Her tone was nothing but…cautiously supportive, but K’bi did not miss that her inner eyelids flipped over to protect her eyes.

Well, that was fair. He patted her foreleg comfortably and settled himself on the rock. “In you go.

While she hummed, good-naturedly, and splashed into the lake, K’bi rigged a fishing pole as he had a thousand times as a little, and left it be. K’bi then waded in after, trousers rolled up to his knees, and maneuvered the brushes so they were against her hide, and began rotating his lever. Sure enough, the other brushes began moving in sync, the lot of them rotating in circles, though Quoth was not suite large enough to accommodate all of them. She wriggled. That does feel nice! She turned her snout to investigate, and was whalloped by a brush for her trouble.

Ack!” K’bi stopped spinning his lever as Quoth eyed him mildly.

I do not like that part. K’bi grinned at her sheepishly, and content that her message had been received, she then rotated accordingly, and looked expectantly at Hers. Other side now, if you please!

Yeah, yeah.” There would be plenty of time to prove he knew his swim strokes as well as any seaholder after he got the kinks out of his new contraption.
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Jul 5 2017, 12:29 AM
Lady Holder

N/A

190 Posts
615 Marks

Cairenn and Ingoth sat near the back of the group, as they usually did to accommodate Ingoth's desire to be able to see all the entrances to an area, and be able to watch out for all her fellow hatchmates. She listened to the Weyrlingmaster speak, resisting the urge to roll her eyes... while she didn't enjoy the thought of camping out as a whole, and camping in the weyrbowl WOULD prevent her from having to deal with many of the things about camping she wasn't a fan of, it did feel like baby make-believe camping, which rubbed her the wrong way. Ah, well, nothing to be done about it, she might as well get it over with so she could get it behind her that much faster.

As Nia finished her speech and everyone began to move towards the exits, K'bi suddenly got Cairenn's attention... apparently he wasn't paying attention to Nia's instructions. "Um... short version, we're going to be bathing and oiling our dragons out in the Weyr Bowl, then we're swimming and fishing. It's some kind of simulated camping trip, so if you successfully made a tent, bring it with you to help out people like me who didn't," she told the pinkweyrling, suddenly remembering that the boy actually seemed to be pretty practiced at tent-building, and so perhaps she should keep an eye on him so she made less of a fool of herself in case he was equally good at other outdoorsy activities.

Following the group out to the Bowl, Cairenn waited until the changing tents had been erected, and used the female one to change into her swimming suit. Emerging, a slight blush on her cheeks from showing more skin than she was akin to in mixed company, she moved out into the water with Ingoth, who paddled into the lake like a winged canine. Separated from the others as she always was, Cairenn used one of the provided brushes to carefully scrub Ingoth's hide, using her link to the sensations of the dragon to make sure she got every part of the red dragonet, knowing she was being watched. Fun sat perched atop her thick hair, safe and dry, looking like nothing more than a dead animal that fell from the sky and landed on Cairenn's head.
PMEmail
^
Rii
 Posted: Jul 7 2017, 10:03 AM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2471 Posts
3157 Marks

It was, Arisa reflected, a little bit silly to play at camping when they could be really camping, but she supposed she understood it. The baby dragonets were still fragile.

I am not fragile.

Arisa favored her bonded with a long look and a slow blink. No words were needed.

Swath rocked back on his haunches, tail swaying back and forth. Very well. But do you think that this is an effective use of time?

Well, you have to be cared for anyway, we have to do swimming and formations and communications anyway. So what does it matter if we add in fishing and making campfires along the way?

A fair point, he conceded. Shall we, then?

Arisa inclined her head slightly. Yes. She swapped into the clothing she preferred for swimming and wrapped something more sensible for later up in her tent from the prior day. Yes, of course she'd been able to set up an acceptable tent. Survival was key. Her father had taught her about surviving on her own if she needed to, just in case things went sour and she wasn't welcome in Hold, Hall, or Weyr. But Arsonyk was gone.

For a moment, she stood still, then shook her head slightly. An occurrence from half a Turn ago was no reason to slow down in the day's tasks now.

Once Swath was fed, washed, and oiled, she took the requisite swim like the distasteful task that it was. She wasn't fond of swimming. She never forgot that N'mor had tried to drown himself, an ugly way to die. N'mor was also gone. Still alive, but gone. Once in a while she wrote to him. She figured that he was probably going to stop answering her soon. It was the way things seemed to go for her. No one stayed in her life for very long.

Except for me.

You haven't been in my life for very long, either.

But I'm staying.

Such is the plan.

Indeed.

Between having already been taught certain skills that others still might have needed to learn, and her natural standoffishness, Arisa appeared rather disinterested and detached from the lesson. In truth, she had little interest in the make-believe portion of the lesson - but getting an attitude about it was pointless and childish. She could derive what was needed, and discard what was not. And perhaps after they'd been dismissed for the evening meal, she could see if Master Jyderin needed some help processing and preserving hides, which would be a useful end to the day.

PMAIM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Jul 8 2017, 05:59 PM
Wingrider

N/A

199 Posts
3606 Marks

Aglaktii had been properly horrified to see the rest of her classmates in action. She could not say as much, but quiet asides to Kangath were becoming more frequent.
Did your siblings not know that they were choosing to be bonded to people who will not survive the Turn?
Is there any possibility of helping them, or are we better off letting the laws of nature choose the survivors, should we have any?
We are all doomed.

His response to such dire announcements had a steadying effect. He too struggled with the innate laziness of some of his clutchsiblings. It was likely that those prone to it were giving him a wide berth. He had already shown exactly what he thought slackers deserved—a swift kick to the chest and a verbal dressing-down to boot. But his love for community was tempering, and so he assured ‘Ti—We gotta get through this together mate, we’ll come out all right in the end, just gotta show ‘em how it’s done.

And so they did. Unsurprisingly, the Wastewanderer’s tent had gone up in about half the time as most of the others, and was clearly built with a mind for weathering a storm the Weyr would never see. Aglaktii spent the rest of her time wandering from campsite to campsite, assisting where the other weyrlings would let her, if not outright removing the reins from their hands and taking over fully. She clucked disapprovingly at what passed for a tent in A’ndel’s opinion, but something in the boy’s demeanor kept her reprimands at bay, at least for a time. Out of all of them, he was truly a child. A petulant, opinionated child, but his sins were less egregious than the harder-working adults who had barely managed anything better.

The next day she was even quicker to put up her tent, knowing by then the exact dimensions and give of the proffered materials. It was not the most traditional of structures, given its need to stay cool for this foreign season. But nothing in her life was especially traditional any more. She listened to their Nia with bowed head and an implacable expression. She could not help but feel a twinge of nervousness to know their real intentions for the lesson though.

My People do not swim. What good would come of freezing yourself to the bone for nothing? Kangath leaned back onto his haunches, giving his weyrling’s rib a comforting nudge with his snouth.

Don’t knock it till you try it, eh? She’ll be right, don’t ya worry, came the Burgundy’s now-familiar refrain. She had come to rely on him for his emotional steadiness more than she had ever expected. More even than Chinuk, who was already making a wide circle around the camp, his nose to the ground as he loped along. Kangath had risen with the sun as he always did, with breakfast following shortly after, so there was no need to feed him a second time so soon. So it was to be oiling, bathing, swimming and fishing, then. Swimming was what had her most worried—although she was no expert at fishing, as her people had spent most of their time on the tundra plains, she knew enough to at least copy the others.

Right, let’s get to it. Kangath hopped along in front as she went to the oil buckets, and even tried to help carry it along by the handle in one of his forepaws as they made their way down to the lakeshore. Aglaktii kneeled in a sandier patch, angling them both to soak up the sunlight while she worked. Koeneth’s questioning was met with firm approval from the little dragon—his rider was doing a fine job of taking care of him, not that he was particular fussy about it. It was a practical matter and he had chosen a practical partner, hadn’t he? When the oiling was finished they simply spent some time enjoying the warmth together, Aglaktii rubbing the oil deep in his leathery skin with her hands. By the time it had dried they were ready to cool themselves in the lake.

Kangath hopped right into the shallows as if he had done so every morning of his life. Aglaktii was clearly more cautious about the whole affair, and spent some minutes only dipping her toes in and making disapproving noises. She had not bothered to remove her clothes yet, hoping to gain some comfort with the shallows before actually putting her whole body in. Perhaps the Weyrlingmaster would not notice that she had skipped part of the assigned exercises and she would be able to practice on her own later, away from judgmental eyes.

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Jul 8 2017, 09:20 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1055 Posts
10 Marks

Nia pointedly ignored the lack of, ahem, enthusiasm from her weyrlings. They were children the lot of them, and no matter how grown up they thought they were, now was the time to enjoy a little of the innocence that remained in their lives. Her goal was to make sure they learned the lessons she taught--whether they appreciated how she did so did not matter. Losing her little ones because they were arrogant and foolish was not on the agenda. Thus was why she smiled at the class as they scattered to attend various tasks, be it feeding or bathing. Nia stepped over the fish dropped at her feet and assisted weyrlings as needed until they were all consumed with some task or another. Now was the time for her favorite part of the lesson to begin.

'Koeneth, MyDear, your turn.'

The pink lifted her head and gazed at the dragonets. Kangath already assured her that His was taking good care of him, but there was more to be asked. After all, Nia had not told the class all that would be asked. To each of the dragon half of the pairs, Koeneth inquired a curious question, after asking how Theirs was taking care of them. All answers were relayed to Nia so she could better understand, not only their current health but gain some insight into their personalities.

'Little One, between what is Just and what is Fair, which do you believe should guide your judgement and why?'

Knowing more about how the dragonets perceived the world would help later on when exploring tactics. The human half of the pair would be easier to understand, given that none of her class had problems talking. But she knew that some dragons would never talk to another human outside of Theirs unless absolutely need be. Hopefully they were all comfortable enough with Koeneth to respond to her favorably. They were young, but even small children had thoughts and opinions on more worldly issues beyond their understanding. Even if they were to reply 'is there a difference?', it was important insight.

As the pink made her mental rounds, Nia made physical ones, inspecting hides and gently offering advice whenever she saw places for improvement. She waded into the water without a hint of reluctance, though she didn't go further than knee deep. Her brown eyes were keen. Anyone who seemed discomforted by her earlier mention of swimming would be paid close attention to as the day progressed. There was no shame in not knowing something--it just meant they needed help. And her job was to do just that.

@Rowana @Zane @Ruriko @Rii @Ruin @Leo @Aftershock @Starbuck @Sakoru @Tobes @Lee @Blot

PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 02:03 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3350 Posts
20 Marks

Now she was asking questions.

A'ndel had known this was what Weyrlinghood was. A series of tasks and questions neverending until your dragon hit that invisible age where it was free. Silly. Beyond his understanding, really, but it buzzed somewhere out of view like a vtol. No less annoying.

At least these questions were for Gan, and that allowed him to roll over onto his stomach and crawl to the dragon's wingjoints where he bobbed in and out of the water as much as the dragon did, though the Virdian's high nostrils and eyeridges seemed to be the only thing guaranteed to be popping out at any one moment. The rest of his body seemed to sink down in an arc to the depths below leaving him quite disguised--save for the young boy now holding to the ridges of his neck to keep from slipping away.

To be just is to be fair the dragon hissed in measured reply to the Weyrlingmaster; though his reptilian voice was not aggressive in any way and the vibrations of his mindvoice seemed to wholly encompass him as a creature rather than any emotion. but that fairness is based on values of the self The dragon seemed to ponder futher the Pink's question before he replied. Or perhaps he had simply decided that it was not time to answer properly. Ripples splayed out from around his snout where he rose and fell, rose and fell, with the movement of the water around his growing body.

At long last his voice came again.

There is no morality in nature, so a thing cannot be just. And while there is a law and order in all things, to be fair is a construct of humans and there is little place for it in a world that cannot be equal

What then, did the beast stand for?

I choose order above either justness or fairness. It is neither just, nor fair, that a beast should be raised so that I may devour it, but it is the way of the world

At long last the Viridian fell silent, and the dragon and his boy continued to float in the lake as if nothing had transpired.

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Leo
 Posted: Sep 7 2017, 09:28 PM
Candidatemaster

The Dreamer

455 Posts
4109 Marks

Tamanith was not certain how she felt about being called "little one," but she did not take it as a compliment. Yes, she was small compared to a grown dragon such as Koeneth, but that did not mean she was incapable of making well-thought-out decisions. It seemed like she was just going to have to prove how capable she was on Hers behalf as well as her own. 'Just? Fair?' The green dragonet's lips peeled back from her teeth as she considered the question. Despite the question being asked only to Tamanith, bits of Ero seeped into the green's mind, and she picked at the pieces in the hope that they would help her. Her fiery tongue would do her no good here, but perhaps a little of the weyrling's charm could go a long way. 'Dear Koeneth, aren't they the same thing? To be just is to mete out what is due in a fair manner. To be fair is to be unbiased, and therefore, just.'

While Tamanith was satisfied with her response, it still felt...incomplete. What else did she have to say? 'Of course, we all have our own definitions of what is fair or just. For myself, I choose to listen to my heart over whatever some old - ehem - over aligning myself to another being's definition of fairness.' The answer was true to herself if phrased formally. Whatever Koeneth might add, Tamanith would never admit that her answer was wrong. She was right. Always right.
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil