April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:

Upcoming Hatchings:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

With two clutches hardening on the Hatching Sands the big question seemed to be: which will hatch first?

The answer came in short order with Copper Zelsk's clutch breaking shell moments before Copper Laanasuth's. With so many eggs surely the dual hatching offers hope to the numerous Candidates who fill Dalibor's ranks. Only time will show who will come away with a lifemate of their very own...

... and who will forfeit their life in hopes of Impression.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

Napping Buddies, AU 18: Jaq'n / Z'iro
Rowana
 Posted: May 10 2018, 10:07 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

903 Posts
1522 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Afternoon was the best time for naps, Capellioth was certain. After a morning of breakfast, baths, and fun weyrling lessons, afternoon was a good time for a break. She was a growing dragon after all! The little pink wandered into the weyrling common area to look for a good spot. With so many brothers and sisters it was often very noisy. She loved it, but it wasn't the best for napping. Fortunately, it looked like most of the other weyrlings were elsewhere today. She did see one of her sisters though.

In fact, Siadeth looked so comfortable with her head on her bonded's lap while he snoozed on the table. Capellioth felt pleasantly tired just looking at them. Yawning, she trotted over and snuggled in on Z'iro's other side and curled around to stick her nose into her foreclaws. Perfect, she sighed contendedly. Naps were always better with friends.

Moments later, Jaq'n came in looking flustered. He barely registered that Z'iro was sleeping and probably wouldn't want to be woken up. "Hey, have you seen...Cappy!" he sighed with relief at the adorable sight of his dragon. "There you are. Sorry about that," he apologized sheepishly. Really, he'd only been a weyrling for a week and he was already making mistakes!

@Catsitta
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 10 2018, 10:20 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1049 Posts
40 Marks

Lessons were over and Z'iro, ever the workaholic, was sneaking some time to write before they were inevitably shuffled into their rooms. The commons weren't private but he just had to sit down and put to words a song that had been bugging him all day. What the Journeyman Harper turned unexpected weyrling did not expect was to fall asleep. Sure, he passed out in odd spots all the time before Impression, but he hadn't even been staying up late! It seemed that Siadeth needed a nap and the inclination was enough to pull Hers into a stupor as well. One moment he was writing with her head on his lap, and the next, he was blinking awake to the sound of someone shouting.

"Hm, Cappy?" he rubbed his eyes. Oh, there was certainly not a pink cuddled to his leg when he was awake last. "Hello there, Jaq'n is it? Looks like your little lady needed a nap too." Z'iro stretched, mindful of the dragonets. He didn't want to wake Siadeth if she were still weary. A woman required her beauty rest and he'd not deny his lovely lady her sleep. "It's strange. She is tired, I am tired. If she is hungry, I am hungry. I do hope I manage to differentiate between my needs and hers soon or else I fear we'll sleep the days away."

@Rowana

PMEmail
^
Rowana
 Posted: May 10 2018, 11:02 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

903 Posts
1522 Marks

Jaq'n nodded, looking at his dragon fondly. He still could hardly believe she was really his. He had seen so many hatchings that disappointment was almost second nature to him. He had been beginning to doubt Impressing was even possible at all. Yet here she was. She had chosen him. Out of all the candidates, she had loved him best of all. Bless her dear heart.

"You can all me Jaq," he offered with a smile, keeping his voice quiet. He carefully took a seat next to Z'iro on the other side of his snoozing dragon. She looked so precious and adorable. To think she would be large enough to fly with him by next turn. "You're Z'iro, right? Your lady is lovely," he offered, looking at Siadeth. "I know if Capellioth isn't hungry, she's usually sleepy," he agreed with amusement. He could certainly understand where Z'iro was coming from. He had felt some of that from Lucky when he'd first bonded to the flit, but certainly not like this. "I don't think I would mind a nap myself. Caring for baby dragons is exhausting!" Not that he minded. He'd do it all and more to make sure Capellioth grew up happy and healthy.

@Catsitta
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 10 2018, 11:25 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1049 Posts
40 Marks

"Jaq then." Z'iro stroked a finger between Siadeth's headknobs. "Indeed, I am! Thank you. Still getting used to that. Never thought I'd see the day where a dragon would be shouting 'zero' in my head and it turn out to be my name." Come to think of it, he got the impression of his name being shortened with an 'i' by his bonded instead of to the literal number, which could have been accomplished. Perhaps there was something in that he could work into his account of the copper hatch. He blinked, stirring from his wandering thoughts. "They are quite tiring. I'm used to less sleep to quite honest. All this sporadic napping and snacking is strange."

He absently smoothed his hair and clothes. The healers would probably be thankful they'd see less of him in the infirmary now, given that he tended to end up there every so often feeling ill. Usually required a proper night's sleep and a full meal as the cure. Siadeth didn't allow such lapses in inattention. If she was hungry, he had to feed her. If she was telling him she was hungry, and he just fed her, then he ate.

"Hm. I vaguely recall seeing you before I Impressed," he said, squinting at Jaq'n, not realizing that the weyrling was an apprentice healer. No doubt he saw the boy in passing at some point, whether at a meal or during one of his naps at the infirmary. Z'iro shrugged it off. No matter. There were many people at the weyr.

@Rowana

PMEmail
^
Rowana
 Posted: May 10 2018, 11:59 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

903 Posts
1522 Marks

Jaq'n had to chuckle at that. Z'iro made an amusing point about the name. It was rather funny when you thought about it. He was still getting used to his own shortened name, but at least it was close to his nickname anyway. Z'iro's could almost be an insult depending on how you said it, but he doubted the little cyan saw it that way. No doubt she loved the harper as much Capellioth loved him. "They have some pretty funny ideas about names, don't they?" he agreed readily.

"I can only imagine when they get bigger and there's more of them to oil," he went on, shaking his head. And he had a small dragon. Imagine the bigger ones, like Em'ry's red. Now they had a lot of work ahead of them. Even his little pink seemed to eat her weight in meat at least three times a day.

He paused a moment to looked at Zi'ro more closely at his comment. He'd met a lot of people since coming to Dalibor and candidates in particular, but he didn't think Zi'ro had been a candidate. He had certainly seen him somewhere though. Then it hit him, and he grinned. "Wait, aren't you that harper who always ends up in the infirmary? Overwork or something like that?"

@Catsitta
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 11 2018, 12:12 AM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1049 Posts
40 Marks

Funny way about names indeed! At least plenty of things rhymed with Z'iro, like hero. Because he did rescue the damsel in distress when she came wandering up the stands and got stuck. Poor dear didn't like squishing between all those people. He utterly adored his cyan beloved, but he wondered how well he would have responded to their bond had she been differently minded. Less helpless and in need of saving. "It's quite a trial already. I don't know how riders do it, but I suppose I'll simply find out the hard way. Should have listened to Ren more." His thoughts flickered to his elder sibling. Always restless and moving. She was here as a weyrlingmaster for a time before transferring away. At least he could send letters.

Noticing Jaq'n's inspection of him, the harper flashed a smile.

"Guilty. I hesitate to say it was all the time. Just often enough no one was surprised when I showed up." Even if he himself was confused on his condition. Forgetting to eat and sleep led to things such as disorientation. He thought himself fine until someone told him we wasn't. "Sleeping and eating escaped me when I got caught up in my work. I presume you were an actual Candidate? Do chores in the infirmary often or an apprentice?"

@Rowana

PMEmail
^
Rowana
 Posted: May 12 2018, 02:31 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

903 Posts
1522 Marks

"Is Ren a friend of yours?" Jaq'n asked curiously. He was trying to remember if he'd met a Ren here at some point but was coming up empty. Could be one of the riders or handlers. He didn't know all of them that well. He supposed that might change now. Heck, just learning all his classmates names would be a lot. "Sounds like they know dragons."

Jaq'n grinned and chuckled. "Well, I guess it'll be harder to forget now with her," he nodded towards Siadeth. Capellioth was always hungry too. He guessed that he was going to have to take better care of himself now as well. If neglecting his own health put his dragon in danger, it wasnt something he wanted to risk. She was too important to take chances with.

"And you got me. I'm an apprentice and a candidate. Well, weyrling now." He smiled happily at Capellioth. "They said it'll be difficult to keep up my craft now with her. But we need Healers, so I'm going to keep at it." Besides, he didn't think his dragon wanted him to give it up. She wanted to help people as much as he did. "Are you going to keep doing Harpering?" He imagined it would be a hard thing to give up after working at it long enough to be a Journeyman. Besides, the world needed Harpers too.

@Catsitta
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 12 2018, 03:57 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1049 Posts
40 Marks

"Ren? Ah, yes, you are unlikely to have known her. My oldest sister, Rilorden, was weyrlingmaster here for a time. Bit of a wandering spirit that one. Her blue, Gabranth, kept trying to Search me every time they visited home. Quite tiresome..." There was a touch of sadness tinting the fondness in his voice. "So one could say, yes, they did indeed know their dragons. I simply didn't listen. Too busy. She was off at the weyr being a rider and I was happy with my studies. We're all harpers in the family, you see, and I never thought I'd deviate from that path."

I'm a harper.

He practically ran away from searchers for Turns. He was so sure that as a Journeyman that his path was set in stone. No dragon would look his way because he was so single-mindedly focused on his craft. He didn't stand. Never considered it. Was skittish around both dragons and whers, not out of fear, but simply to avoid the inevitable awkwardness that would follow should they think he'd make a fine candidate.

"Healing is a respectable craft. I'm sure you will find the means to keep studying if you really want to be a healer." Z'iro said, his smile fading a degree when Jaq'n asked if he'd continue with his craft. He tried hard not to think about the logistics. How one of the main reasons he never considered candidacy was because he wanted to be a proper Harper. To make his parents and peers proud. Letting all those Turns slips through his fingers was unimaginable! "Of course! My work will be slower going but as long as I've muse, I will write." He motioned to the hides he'd been scribbling on before his nap. "There are dragon riding harpers here, it looks like I'll simply join their ranks."

@Rowana

PMEmail
^
Rowana
 Posted: May 13 2018, 04:47 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

903 Posts
1522 Marks

Jaq'n nodded in understanding, smiling at the image of the dragon constantly trying to convice Zi'ro to be a candidate. He had jumped at the chance himself, but he could also understand why someone would refuse, even to a sibling. It was a hard life full of risks. Candidates died, weyrlings died, and riders died. It had been worth the risk to him, but not everyone felt the same way. Especially if they had a craft or other career to pursue. "Ah well, I would have liked to meet her," he replied with a shrug. "I'll admit, I jumped at the chance to be a rider. It just took a long time for Capellioth to come along."

His smile widened to a grin as Z'iro proclaimed his desire to still be a Harper. "That's right!" he agreed readily. "We need harpers too, to record and teach and remind us why we're riders in the first place." At least that's what he imagined. He would admit he didn't know that much about Harpers, but he knew it was more than just singing songs. Harpers were some of the smartest, most politically minded crafters on Pern, after all. The Weyr probably needed them as much as Healers these days. "What are you writing now?" he asked, unable to hold back his curiosity.

@Catsitta
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: May 13 2018, 07:39 PM
Weyrlingmaster

Eeveelution Trainer

1049 Posts
40 Marks

"It's an honor to Stand. The weyrs always need riders to face Thread. But...it...it wasn't a life I wanted," Z'iro stroked a hand along Siadeth's back. He loved the cyan with a terrifying intensity, more than music and the very dreams he chased for so long. With their bond now stable, he was at ease with her choice in him. But what awaited in the future was uncertain and intimidating. He was holdborn and a harper. What did he know of dragon rider life beyond the stories? He hadn't the preparation or the training of the candidates nor the an upbringing in the creche. What if he failed? What if his lack of knowledge ended with him getting himself and his little lady killed? Weyrlings died. They died in lessons, they died from ignorance, they died from mistakes. Some riders died in their first Fall. He was desperately out of depth, trying to keep his head up amongst peers that actually wanted this life.

Z'iro smiled at Jaq, thankful for the change in subject.

"This and that. I finished organizing my notes and recollections of the hatch and was drafting a story. With luck it will become a song worth passing along to share what happened that day. It's quite strange, y'know, to go from an observer to an active participant to what you are bearing witness."

@Rowana

PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr