April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

A Storm of Four Colors, AU:14 {PLOT}{OPEN TO ALL}
Ruin
 Posted: Jul 4 2016, 08:47 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3414 Posts
10 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Oh! Valeath snorted in surprise when she came out to peer down into the Bowl only to find Geth's head snaking out from the odd swoop in his weyrledge. You can take that one, Irohvyne had told her long-time friend. I fear I might slip and fall out of it. Wasn't that the truth. Hello, Geth! Valeath squeaked before turning her attention down to the Bowl. Hello, everyone! Hello...oooh...odd shaped...what...what are they Geth? Are they friends? Oh, they look friendly! Actually, due to the natural poor vision of a dragon at night, Valeath couldn't really make them out at all, but she wanted to! I-iroh, i-roh, there are new friends in the bowl, they...they look like your felines...oh oh but fatter. Like the fer-ret! Pleased with this comparison, she had to get a second opinion.

Oh, oh, Uuunaaaath, look, looook what's in the Bowl. New friends, yes, I want to go, I want to go... Irohvyne was heaving open the door to her weyr. It had been Ko'a's idea, an actual door. She had absolutely no idea how they'd managed to seat it into the stone, but the deed had been done. "No one is going to try to kill me, I don't have any..." she trailed off, her expression souring, before she turned and fled for the weyr's ledge. "If you move one paw off that weyr ledge so help me," she hissed at her dragon, one fair hand reaching out to land firmly on the squirming tail. Caught in the act, Valeath honked and returned her lifted talons to the stone. "Those are not friends, you will stay right here. You wouldn't want Geth to be lonely, would you?" Valeath's eyes flashed a concerned yellow as her delicate head swung back to the pebble-hued hide of her companion.

Oh no, of course not, oh Geth, I wouldn't leave you! She practically bounced from her weyr ledge to his, just a short hop for a dragon, and came in for a crash landing into his midsection where she immediately began clambering her way to the top. Remember, remember when you carried me? I don't, but my Iroh does so I do too, oh I wouldn't leave you! Maybe we'll get to meet them later, our new friends The last, she tried to whisper, but as she was quite incapable of speaking on a personal level, everyone within mental range heard it. The Lady sighed.

She say I need keep you safe, Osk confided. Oreanda felt her cheeks flushing. I have a friend, Osk, I think I forgot to tell you about her. I know. Saw in your head, very easy. Needed time for just us. She followed Ijo's words carefully; turns of juggling the voices of dragons had made her adept at balancing all of the incoming communication, but it was her face that would always betray her. She could not see, how could she ever understand the subtleties of expression. How did you know she wouldn't mind? Didn't. Just way it had to be for us. She accept or she does not, important is us. Like Ijo say. But, she accept, so after this we go find her and say hello for first time. Together. Together. Her heart faltered and then took off in a sprint.

She should have been terrorized by what was happening, but she wasn't. She had been concerned for Akke, but Endellion would never let harm come to the pod. She had chosen Dolphineering over being a Wherhandler. It was a choice that Oreanda admired, but would probably be conflicted about in the future. That was for then. Now...she did have duties. Couineth was in her head; a Queen could fill up every space and leave little room for others, but Oreanda shifted the input just enough that she could still hear Isk. Osk turned his head to the 'Master and spoke for her.

She call dragons first thing, not try to be in danger where need me to protect, only supply information for them... I asked Endellion to ring the bell, she would not fail to do that. The pod will have gathered down at the docks outside the Weyr... we have been bad example. Accept punishment. Work hard, and learn. Can make no promise of giving example... the river opens up there. They can use their echolocation to scout the river mouth and make sure nothing escapes... she is talking to Couineth, not wanting to make big scene. Instead sit quiet and try to look not busy... my Queen. Dolphins are intelligent, but traditional. They serve because that is their part of the Contract. They will protect this Weyr, but will do so out of duty.

We understand they thought as one merged consciousness only to Isk, Oreanda slipping away from Couineth's enormous presence to give both of them some space to concentrate. She couldn't help but sigh, as if she'd forgotten to breathe through the exchange. Maybe she had. Rolling her neck until it popped, she leaned back into the cool stone of the Barracks wall. Osk wiggled closer across her lap, his wings and tail curling off onto the floor. She continued to listen, not only to her Wherlingmaster, but to the dragons outside. This was out of her hands now, but she trusted Endellion, she trusted their Queen, she even trusted Ijo--even if she probably would live up to his expectation of being the problem child.

@Lan @Azhdarchid @Boo @RhiaBlack

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Raining
 Posted: Jul 4 2016, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Da'on...
I see, Roi. Do they need a Healer

Roiath had peered from his ledge to see Tauth bring His down and the blue rumbled something incoherently, No, it appears Tauth's is heading down.
Tau- can she even walk?

Roiath ignored that, Should we head down too,
No. If we're needed they will call us. She's quite capable on her own. Just... keep an eye out.

Tauth. If Yours needs Mine to assist with Healing the injured, call and we will come.
Did I not say she was fine on her own?

The blue groaned, worriedly and hung his paws off of Ket's ledge, his head up and neck arched as he watched the 'bowl with a critical eye. Da'on had left his intended's side to join his Blue on the ledge. His hand went to the dark blue hide to try and soothe his drake some. He couldn't even find it in him to make a light hearted comment. A couple of disasters ago he would have quipped with 'another day in Dalibor'. But... he no longer wished to leave. This was his home.

@Kiran

---------------------------

Serlie lifted her head when her name was called, she didn't know what was going on as the crecheleaders were very busy trying to get all of them organized. But her name called out of nowhere by a voice she'd come to recognize pulled her out of the mess of the creche. What she saw when she peered around someone was a big tan and her friend there waiting. A bright smile crossed her face and she peeled across the room, as fast as her legs could carry her.

"Hi!" She greeted her friends with a very shy smile, as there was a dragon she hadn't met yet right there, holding out her paw. Green eyes flickered up to the drake, as her pink popped above the girl's shoulder and landed on Hers' coiling a tail around her neck. "I'm okay Eldy," stated the girl quietly as she moved towards and into the Tan's paw at Qaelis' insisting.

"Where are we going?" she asked curiously, as her fingers glided over the Tan's large mitt.

@Azhdarchid @Kestrel

^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 01:22 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Rowana @Kiran @Kestrel @Tigersilk

With Quartz's fur in his hand, Mannad allowed his herding out to the room where Aikila had been screaming. The Journeyman was not making noise anymore, and he had to squint again, but for a second time he identified the up-and-down of a working pair of lungs beneath Aikila's white tunic. A woman stood next to him, big-bellied, and the size of her stomach kept his eyes off the pink remains of the Journeyman's arm.

"The bath monster," he answered her question, then looked away and burrowed into the howler's fur.

-

@Kiran

The triple-alarm of the bell stirred up more than dolphins. After a minute a boulder came lumping out of the dark and up to the dockside, trundling into the shallows. Two pairs of heavy hook talons rose out of the water and wrapped against the stony edge of the pier. The wild wher was along the side, closer to the beach than the dolphins by the bell, but able to haul his entire head over the side. He opened his iron jaws, breathing apocalypse all over the dock, and waited for the dolphineer to throw the extra "dolphin" a fish. Dolphins always got fish when summoned by the bell.

By the southern cliffs of Dalibor, a bulging distortion in the water bobbed downriver, towards the sea.

-

@BadgerStripes @Kestrel @Kiran @Rowana @Tigersilk

Tussbuul's lips parted as he watched Ravana wince to her feet. He followed her up, oddly easier on his legs for being the one between them that needed a cane for any walk of length. But she turned back and swallowed him up, and the Master-handler shut his eyes in a sigh that she soon covered in a kiss. He smiled. A Journeyman somewhere had been turned bloody, and he was standing in his warm, dry sitting room being kissed.

"To be fair if water is suddenly alive, we are about to have great trouble as a planet," he proposed as the rider rushed off to her dragon. He stood there alone, then Tusk uncurled from the hearthside and approached him, her head rising higher and higher on her spindly neck till it butted beneath his hand and corrected the balance he was starting to lose.

Guest not far, she observed, following him as he went to fetch his cane and settled his palm over the metal pommel.

Have you noticed anything?

Water. Tusk twisted her stub snout at the half-finished glasses Tussbuul and Ravana had left beside the couch.

Wine, Tuss chuckled. Tusk's nostrils flared. She did a trot around the rooms of the Master's crafter suite.

Water, she reported again from the washroom.

It isn't water, Tussbuul thought. I never saw it with my own eyes though. Tusk returned, releasing her confusion in a yellow-mouthed yawn. Tussbuul went to his office, his green in his shadow, and picked through his logs. They still want us out in the Bowl?

Chisk ask firestone, Tusk offered, after a few seconds of silence.

Tell the Alphahandler we will bring it, but she needs to approve it.

Did.

And so, within minutes, the handler had waded after the dragonrider into the line of duty. The pair of them arrived at the guest suite, two firestone sacks laid over Tusk's slim back. The green pulled the drawstring herself, and picked out a chunk, waiting for clearance before she stuffed it in Chisk's maw. Tussbuul peeked into the bath basin, then headed back to the main room to look at the Journeyman. Aikila blinked as the clicking sound of the old man's cane came closer, and he looked to his left only to find a swollen pregnant bluerider there. For the first time since the incident began, his eyebrows worked across a faint wriggle of consternation, not just agony.

-

@Boo @Tigersilk @BadgerStripes @RhiaBlack @others in the Bowl

Pipperith nosed her head out of the Barracks, one pink paw resting on the edge of the metal double-doors. Dan'lusian stood beneath her, his arms fanned out at his sides and his stance wide, like a starfish. He was staring at the globular mass of water wiggling towards them.

I believe all Weyrlings have been accounted for. Do I close the doors now? Pipperith wondered.

The blob suddenly veered straight at them, doubling in speed, though it splashed off some of its hull. All Dan'lusian had to say was:

I am not entirely convinced this is a sensory reaction!

A hunk of metal bar fence lanced through the shimmying glob as they watched. The impact did not shatter its consistency at all, but the sudden weight slowed it to a complete stop. Pipperith's inner eyelids fluttered. Dan'lusian took the opportunity to open the extra-large glowbaskets on the front of the Barracks, placing the impaled silhouette in a green spotlight.

Oh...oh! Oh Couineth, you saved us! the pink dragon announced to the queen. Only as she said it, the water ball rocked its weight forward, the bars of metal passing through it. Its spherical figure distorted at the back, capes and drapes of water spontaneously forming and splashing apart as the mass strained past each bar. It seemed the creeper would advance again, eventually. Uhh-hmm, does this mean we need to take all the Weyrlings back out again?

Actually I believe we are in the way of an evacuation at this point. You and I.

Really?! Pipperith clasped her front paws together, hooting softly. Then what do we do?

Seems like something you might try firestone on.

Oh yes I believe I have heard requests for it.

Then let's go get some!

Dan hopped up his pink's leg and onto her back, huddling down as she crawled out of the Barracks. Pipperith had to go around the glob's resting place to free herself, and as she passed it freed the last of its skin from the metal bars. It made another inchlong movement toward the Barracks.

AHHHH! Pipperith grabbed the metal fencing with her paw and slapped the blob with it over and over again, till the rock beneath it was cracked and the fence metal bent into what was nearly a work of art. The blob lay pancake-flat and quivering beneath the iron. Pipperith withdrew her forearm. I believe that was an instinctive fear reaction! she squeaked, then flew away to one of the storage caverns. I have some firestoooone... she continued a couple minutes later. A ring of twelve bags hung off her neck, a herculean feat for a tiny pink, and yet she had no trouble flitting around the Bowl to bring it where it was needed.

By the time Pipperith made her firestone announcement, the bubble of water had begun to rise off the ground, pushing the broken fencing away in the course of its bread-like reformation.

[ tiny qaelis updoot tomorrow morning, not -quite- as relevant to the plot as this other stuff xD ]
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Azhdarchid @Sari @Raining

Tanner liked to be hopeful. But in a family as large as hers, disappointment came early and frequently. She could tell when to give up on something turning out the way she wanted. Oftentimes, that point was subtle. This time, it came when the Weyrwoman herself appeared, climbed onto a table, and ordered everyone out of the weyrbowl.

Tanner stood in the tent, eyes wide. An attack? An attack, right then and there? Was it going to be like Western all over again, with fire and shouting and arrows and…

She had been spared the worst of it last time. She had been inside, so she had been safe. But this time she was not outside. She was here, in the open, and any moment, something could—

A soft voice snapped her out of it, and she blinked up at the young man in front of her, in rider’s knots. “Oh,” she said, more a noise for the sake of response than any indication that she understood, but the man had the desired effect of getting the more useful gears of her brain in motion again. “Y-yes—I guess I…I need to go somewhere…” But where would she go? The Weyrwoman had said not to go anywhere alone, so she couldn’t get back to Harper’s weyr. It would take time, too, climbing all those stairs in the dark. And she was scared, and so worried…where were all the beastcrafters?

It was Tanner’s lucky night. She had not one, but two heroes to the rescue. “Qaelis!” she said, startled enough by his sudden appearance, and the brief pressure of his hand on hers, that it only registered afterward, faintly, that he called her ‘Tan’. Huh. Like the dragons? “Um.” She glanced between Rein’l and Qaelis, who was quickly hurrying off in search of another weyrbrat. She looked up to Rein’l, a flicker of a smile squirming onto her face—gratitude, but too wrought by fear and concern to have much light. “I guess I have someone to go with now. Thank you.” He was a nice man, whoever he was. There were a lot of nice people at the weyr. She just hoped they were all okay.

“I’m coming!” she called after Qaelis, running behind him with Serlie toward…a tan dragon’s paw? Was that his dad’s dragon? There wasn’t much time to think about it, at any rate.

------

@ Any handlers in the bowl

Another day at Dalibor, another catastrophe.

Was there really anything more to ponder? Oh sure, they would hash out all the particulars in meetings later, meetings he, as a Junior Weyrleader, would certainly attend, and they could debate the weyr’s security and how best to prevent future disasters from occurring—hah, as if they ever could.

That never stopped V’yeri from cheerfully, obsessively planning his damnedest, though! There were few goals he could get behind more than reduction of risk.

Ah, but that was another day. Today, there were oozing…water-monsters of some kind, evidently. Couldn’t the people insane enough to want to traipse dragonlengths underground through the dark and all manner of horrors at least be considerate enough not to bring said horrors back with them, to plague even those with good sense? Not in his Pern. So the Junior Weyrleader had set about making himself useful, descending to the lower caverns and rounding up a flock of spooked but usable weyrfolk, organizing the ferrying out of firestone that the whers may be in need of. How exactly fire was supposed to ‘kill’ water he was not yet sure, but he would be surprised if it made anything worse, either.

Securing as many wher-appropriate bags as Vespasiath could carry to the viridian’s flightstraps, dragon and rider took the sky, skimming low through the weyrbowl, dropping bags to handlers in the area. Vespasiath was perhaps not unlike a puzzlesnake himself—the non-stony, non-monstrous kind—his leathers bedecked with glows so that others could see him easily as he flew through the dark.

------

@Kiran @Rowana

“Your guess is as good as mine, sister,” Chiyo said to Kira’s questions with a broad shrug. “If your guessing takes into account your experiences with moving, man-eating rivers in the palefolk caves, that is.” She was perfectly content to let Lintara do the bulk of the work on filling the healer in. She and Chisk had plenty to do, sharing images of the situation, Aikila, and the…thing, in the washroom, with Couineth as the gold had requested.

Though mentally busy with such tasks, when was paired with the physical idleness, especially when face-to-face with a pulsating blob that had eaten two apprentices, it made her uneasy. Her fingers drummed against her hip as she waited. Fortunately, the cavalry arrived soon enough: her cavalry, a limping old man with a cane and his noodleine wher. But Tusk had brought firestone, which made the green Chiyo’s new favorite person. Chisk sidled toward her fellow green in her slinky way, parking face to face with her, and hinging her narrow jaws apart, awaiting the command.

Clear flamerock. Use caution, came Vresk’s approval.

Chisk’s eyes gleamed as she chewed, and soon after, long jaws parted to emit a plume of flame at the fungus-bound organism.

Arkady, meanwhile, had not forgotten her mission. Two of the three missing apprentices, it seemed, had been found--but it was still possible that one remained. The firelizard continued to flit from room to room, hall to hall, searching for the lost boy.

------

@Boo @Tigersilk

Ori-Ori-Ori. Orisk have question, good one, he does!

Ori stared stoically at the black water churning every seaward from her Vrell-assigned post along the south river. As though her dull white-gelled human eyes could really see much anyway.

Whats is crawl on its bellies in morning, sleep-sleeps at mid-sun, and swimses at night?

Should I even ask?

Hows should Orisk know, HAHAHA. Is oozing through river, though.

Ori's gaze sharpened as the image came to her with a wher's clarity, something moving, shifting toward sea.

Oh biggest and shinysest of lumberwalker--'bigwings', Orisk meanted to say. Biggest bigwings, and Alpha. Your flesheater heading for big water, HAHA. At least he gifted them a useful image along with his usual irreverent, dripping sarcasm.

------

Dalibor’s whers were an efficient organism.

The Weyrleader and Weyrwoman’s orders had been given, and in swift order, Vrell had seen them carried out. Handlers were stationed along the river, poised to spot abnormalities, while others rallied toward the first to rear its watery head in the weyrbowl.

Among them, Vrell herself.

She grabbed a bag tossed down by the greener Weyrleader, throwing the precious rock within up toward the mouth of the orange she rode. Vresk commanded the other handlers with her to fan out around the creature, each ready with their firestone. They converged on the flattened blob, Vresk charging toward it on her powerful legs, eager to sear it with all the fire her belly could wring from stone. Burn now! she commanded the others, blasting downward at the blob. If it had life enough to eat, it should have life enough to burn, just like the thread every one of them had been trained to fight. They could protect their planet from raining death: they could protect it from slithering water.
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 03:04 AM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

Lintask cocked her head at Io'tez's comment, then looked at Lintara in confusion. How hatch eggs inside body? Sound uncomfortable. Also impossible. While the Cyan had seen women in various stages of pregnancy, she'd never seen an actual birth before.

Look at my memories, love. That's how it was for me and Tarzlo, Lintara letting her wher see her own experiences in giving birth. Luckily her son was on the small side, given the age she had him at.

Lintask considered what she'd been shown of the human way of having babies, then turned back towards Kira and Io'tez. See memories of human clutching from Lintara memory. Still think Hatch Cavern best bet. Guard eggs better when not too big to move fast. She would have said more on the subject, but her handler shushed her, giving her headknobs a bit of a scritch. "You can discuss it with them later, after this is all done. First, deal with those monsters running around before they kill everyone."

Lintara turned back to Io'tez again. "The creeping storm was one of the dangers found during the Palefolk expedition a while back. It would appear from nowhere, rush down a tunnel to absorb anything alive it could, then disappear again. People reported seeing what looked like bodies of dead animals in them. The creature in the basin in there is one of them. And it...ate. Earlier this evening. Or this afternoon; no-one knows yet except him," gesturing at Aikila. "And he's not talking. Yet."

A deep breath. "If you truly want to see what's loose in the Weyr, you can see one of them from this doorway. We're waiting on someone to bring Firestone down here so we have a better way to defend ourselves if it becomes active again. I doubt swords and knives will do anything to it, to be honest. Fire should, but if it doesn't...." They would be up the creek without a paddle.

The arrival of two more wherhandlers, one with firestone sacks, took up her attention. Lintara stood aside to let them hand the sacks to Chiyo and Wyn, since they'd need them to kill the beast in the bathroom. She nodded at Master Tussbuul but otherwise stayed out of the way, willing to move fast to get the Healer to safety if necessary. The Cyanpair could between Kira out of the way, if nothing else.

@Azhdarchid, @Kiran, @RhiaBlack

G'len wasn't too surprised to see his nephew suddenly show up at his side. The stargazing planned for tonight was open to the Weyrbrats, after all, and why wouldn't Lyo come out to see what wonders the night sky held. He certainly wanted to; because why not? Bizarre creatures turning the lake into oily gloop wasn't on the agenda for the night.

But suddenly having two young children in tow when an enemy - or a monster - was about wasn't a wise idea. He couldn't take the time to escort them back up to his weyr, where he thought they'd feel safer. He had to be availible to give orders, and leaving even for a bit would only fuel more rumors of his alleged cowardice (because evidently being choosy over which personal battles to fight was now being scared of conflict, if rumor central was to be believed).

On the other hand, G'len couldn't trust Lyo and Lerian to take themselves up there and stay put, either. Both children were too apt to want to be important and 'help' the adults stop the monster. And he couldn't let them stay with himself and Rayna; it was just too dangerous out here in the open right now.

The answer to his dilema came in the form of his friend and Wingmate. Yes, Mine needs Yours, Zeuth answered Shanith. He needs someone to watch over his hatchling and the one belonging to his clutchsibling tonight. They need an adult to make sure they stay up here in our weyr and not try to 'help' with destroying the monsters.

G'len turned to the children, crouching down to their level. "Lerian, Lyo, I'm sending you back to my weyr to wait this thing out. It's not safe on the ground right now; you'll be safer up there. Ravana is part of my Wing, and I trust her to keep you safe. Both of you will listen to what she says and obey her if she tells you to do something. You can watch for the monsters with Zeuth and Shanith on the ledge, but you are not to leave my weyr otherwise until either I or Ravana say you can. Understand?"

Once the children agreed to their orders and were gone, he turned towards Rayna. "I believe Vrell gave the order for firestone to be given to the whers, so that's taken care of. We should remove ourselves to a safer spot now, so that we don't suddenly become liabilities for the handlers in this mess. The kitchens might be a good spot; we can be reached there if needed, and if we need shelter, it's there. Unless you have another spot you think might be better?"

Zeuth, meanwhile, kept watch from his ledge, sending images as needed to the other whers and dragons to help co-ordinate the defenses against the monster. To Gask he said, The little one is safe with me. A rider from my Wing is to watch over the hatchlings while this is going on. Watch over Yours and make sure she's safe, too.

To Pipperith he said Take two sacks to Baihujinth and Keukorimath, and bring two up to me, in case they were needed. Which they quickly were. Hearing Orisk's report of the moving mass in the river, Zeuth took wing without waiting for his rider to join him, and flew to where the creature was at, telling Couineth and Vresk what he was doing.

Seeing as best he could in the dark, the Bronze swooped down and tried to and scoop out the blob with his cupped paws. Pipperith's attack on the lake beast had proven the things had a mass that could be grabbed if needed. If he succeeded in grabbing the thing, he intended on tossing it onto the shore away from water, and flaming it to death.

I'm supposed to be the impulsive one here, your Highness! a very worried G'len sent to the drake. I can't loose you, quieter, with a mental caress to the one he cared most for in the world. He took his leave of Rayna and ran towards the Bronze had gone, knowing full well if anything bad happened to his King, he'd be far too late to stop it.

He ran anyway.

@BadgerStripes, @Rowana, @Kestrel, @Boo, @RhiaBlack
PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 09:12 AM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
0 Marks

Io'tez would have laughed, if the situation wasn't so dire.

"Yeah, sounds harder than it is, aye? Humans just don't get made with a shell. Everythin' else is there, just na hard stuff." He knew better than to touch Kira while she was working; he merely hung back a hair, making sure nothing got close to her that wasn't friendly, but giving her plenty of room to move. "I'd've tried ta keep 'er upstairs, but ya know how Healers are. Gotta come help, aye? Besides, looks like everybody else was busy, I s'pose? Just means I've got feet-rubbin' duty after, mm?"

That one DID bloom a smile across Io's lips. He liked little more than tending to his wife, after all. Kira's happiness was, always had been, and always would be paramount to the Igenite.

"I think me best interest is ta stay in here wi' the lot o' ya. Safer that way, aye?"

@Tigersilk, @Kiran

Baihujinth chuffed gratitude when the sack of firestone was dropped to him and to Keukorimath; both males made short work of tearing it open, Baihujinth the first with a mouthful of stone to prepare a flame.

He arched his head back, thrusting it forward, and the flame promptly died in his mouth with a choke of smoke.

STOP! He screamed at Zeuth, THIS HAS PROVEN TO EAT PEOPLE, ZEUTH, AND YOU MEAN TO GRAB IT WITH BARE PAWS!? ARE YOU DIM?! STOOOOOOP!

It had nearly choked the Iron to keep from flaming his own Weyrleader, the King's eyes waxing red and orange with worry and quiet fury. The last thing he wanted to see, was Zeuth to be put in the same condition or worse as the Crafter Tauth's was looking after. Though he disliked the Bronze immensely, much as His did G'len, the thought of losing a Weyrleader over something like this wasn't something he cared to deal with. There had been enough death at Dalibor for his liking, especially of ranking males. He pinged the mental image off the Bronze's brain, relayed by Keukorimath.

THAT is what it does! That is what it does to things that TOUCH it, Zeuth, PAWS OFF!

Pending his Bronze Weyrleader got out of the way, Baihujinth quickly chewed some extra stone to unleash a gout of fire directly at the thing; Keukorimath held his back, in case the critter decided to dodge or tried to run some other direction. He'd be there to make sure it didn't, but only once he also cleared the area as far as making sure that there weren't any bystanders within the literal line of fire.

Easy there, Mountain, Z'dyn's mind gently pressed his bonded. Don't wanna lose you, neither.

Keivhyn sat perched on his father's hip, Z'dyn's other arm occupied by his daughter. Both peered down at the Bowl curiously, more entertained by dragons and whers than by what it was that they fought. At Pip's flailing, Ezi giggled. Z'dyn tucked her teddy bear in against her chin, a welcome distraction for his youngest.

@Tigersilk, @Bowl-peoples

PM
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Kestrel @Raining

"My father's weyr. This is what he does, when he thinks something bad might happen." Qaelis helped Serlie on. While they waited on Tanner, five-turn-old Naiu put both hands on Serlie's hip and tried to push her back off. "Stop it tiny," Qaelis grunted, pushing his sister's forehead till he was between her and Serlie. He could feel Naiu biting his fingers in protest, but weathered the sensation. Unath's head drew alongside them, close enough that the tics of the dragon's huge faceted eye were physical twists and turns he could see, not just ripples of contained starlight far from earth.

The giant speckled face turned away, looking over the abandoned spyglasses. Even when Tanner joined, and Unath lifted her paw to her chest, caging them against her keel, he could not make out what lay beyond. Unath took off, flapping backwards a few lengths as Zeuth was coming down into the area too. Then she circled up silently, landing hindfeet-first on a ledge hundreds of dragonlengths from the Bowl floor. She walked into the weyr there before letting the kids down.

Naiu pushed through the various taller legs and ran towards the inner weyr with a giggle. But the shadow that came back out was enormous, and carrying a glow. He approached his tan's opened paw and looked at the two girls, then the firelizard on Qaelis's shoulder. Escort complete, the blue vanished with a pip. A large, dark hand extended the glowbasket to Qaelis.

"You know I have my own spyglass," Q'sis said.

"I know." Qaelis's cheeks darkened in the sunset light of the glow, which was wrapped in a color filter. "I thought these might be a newer type."

"They would never let children touch their most precious instruments." Q'sis looked away from them, out at the night. "Come." He headed toward the ledge to check on the proceedings, Unath laboriously turning around to follow him. Though she did not step on any of the children, the tan had never once looked at them.

"Can't see anything," Qaelis noted, and the man and dragon blinked in unison, turning heads back toward him.

"I see." Q'sis headed out onto the ledge on his own.

Pipperith, Unath called, and the pink came winging up to the ledge while the kings were busy making a mess below. Q'sis caught a bag of firestone, then lowered it to the ground, fingers loosely tangled in the drawstring. He did not mount his dragon, nor tie the bag to her straps.

After a few seconds of watching, waiting, the tanrider turned around and headed for the inner weyr, bag in tow. He ignored the children completely this time. Unath remained on the ledge, a static spotted gargoyle, eyes fixed on the worms beneath her.
^
Rowana
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 12:08 PM
Wingsecond

Time Lady

916 Posts
3802 Marks

Wynmuri shook her head. Ceramics or glass would probably be best, but there was no way they had time to make something that big. If one of the Smiths knew where they could get a large enough container, that was one thing. But she wasn't willing to risk this thing escaping and possibly killing more people. "I'm sure they would," she admitted. The Beastcrafters would probably have a field day with this thing. "But I'll settle for a way to kill it before it eats more people." Maybe when they were done, they could have their samples.

Speaking of possible ways to kill it, looked like firestone had at last arrived. Wyn offered a grateful not to the old handler and quickly took some to give to Wynsk. The little black chewed thoughtfully. With Vresk's approval, he let loose a jet of flame along with Chisk. Wyn tensed, trying to see if they were having any effect. She supposed the worst that could happen was the creature could turn into people eating steam. That was not a pleasant thought.

~

Lyo bit his lip, but nodded at his Uncle's words. He couldn't do much to help here. He also had to admit, he was actually pretty scared. This whole situation just didn't make much sense to him. Besides, obeying the leader was important and he could keep Lerian safe. "Yes, sir," he agreed softly. He took Lerian's hand and followed Ravanna.

~

Dh'mel could not believe what he was seeing. This was clearly some kind of dream. A horrible nightmare from drinking to much wine. Except he hadn't drunk that much last night at all. It seriously looked like the lake was coming alive and trying to kill them. That just...wasn't natural.

Dh'mel! The younglings!

Ziprith's cry broke his shocked pause. He reached for her back and jump on as quickly as his old bones would let him. Well, reality or nightmare, he had a job to do. They flew down from their ledge as Pippereth zipped away to fetch firestone. It was too close, Dh'mel thought desperately. If it got inside, who knows what it could do to the kids. The space was too inclosed to protect them.

'Tell Pippereth we'll move the weyrlings to the hatching sands,' he instructed. He wasn't sure it was the best plan. They would have to move quickly to get past the bloob before it recovered and came closer. But it seemed the best of a number of bad options at this point. Hopefully they could make it in time.

Pippereth! We will move the younglings to safety! she called, her high voice determined if a bit scared. Weyrlings! Evacuate to the Hatching Grounds quickly! Single file! Stay behind me and Pippereth!

The pair landed in front of the entrance to the barracks, between it and the creature. It was far too close to comfort. Dh'mel wasn't sure what they could do if it did decide to move closer. For now though, it looked like it was just quivering. Was it...afraid? Did it have enough of a mind to be?

There was just enough space behind them for the young dragons to squeeze one at a time. The older ones could even fly once they hit open air. Dh'mel kept his eye on the creature, while Benton and Zip watched the weyrlings behind. Once they were all out, he would move to block the entrance to the Sands. At least they wouldn't have to worry about water in there.

@Azhdarchid @Kestrel @Tigersilk @BadgerStripes @All Weyrlings
PM
^
Kiran
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Azhdarchid @RhiaBlack @Tigersilk @Kestrel

Kira's attention faded from the cyanhandler and greenhandler who had helped to the Journeyman sprawled out. The injuries made her pale slightly; as if he'd been Scored repeatedly, the wounds were deep and bare and would be long and painful to recover from. First things first. She took out a pair of scissors from her pack to begin cutting away at the tunic. The last thing either Healer or patient needed was any scraps getting in the wounds to help infection along, and sliding it off his body wasn't advisable. As the tunic fell away beneath the blades, Kira whispered easy words to the man.

"Whatever was here seems to be gone. I'll get you patched up the best I can. You'll be in the infirmary, quick as a wink. Let's just see about relieving that pain." Undoubtedly he was in massive amounts of it. The look in his eyes might have been slightly glazed, but there was definitely pain there. Fellis only could do so much, sometimes. It wasn't hard to tell he was also looking at her swollen mass - there wasn't any way around that, so she didn't bother addressing it. It had nothing to do with her skills as a Healer.

After a quick back and forth with her Bonded - Tauth gliding upwards and out of the way of the larger dragons who were most definitely fighting the [i]thing
making its way across the weyrbowl - Kira glanced over at Chiyo and Lintara. "Whatever it is, thank you both for sticking near and watching out for him. Lintask, never fear, I'm not going to clutch until well after I'm done taking care of this man. Io, you're going to certainly be on call for feet rubbing after." Her tone might have been lighthearted, but there was no laughter in her face. The pieces of tunic she'd cut were carefully lifted from his body so she could see the full extent of his injuries. It wasn't anything that she hadn't noted before, but there was more of it that had been hidden by the tunic's arms and length. All up and down his limbs, it seemed.

Air was drawn in deep before she slid her pack open. The arrival of Master Tussbull wasn't noted as her attention was firmly on thinking over what she'd need for this. "If the bath water is safe, I'll need some of it. I want to wash out these wounds." Wash them out, then begin packing them with redwort and other herbs to help with inflammation and keep out infection. Bandages were laid out carefully so she could grab them as needed. Her blue, Spindrift, was called to her for a moment. A thought of bandages from the all-too-familiar Infirmary storeroom sent him off in a quick moment. He was used to fetching and carrying, and Kira knew that she didn't have enough to cover the extensive injuries. Her pack wasn't made to attend trauma like this.

She looked at the man again and gauged his expression. "Lintara, how much fellis did you give him?" Kira didn't want to overdose by accident, but she was fairly certain she'd have to give him another because the hot water in those wounds was undoubtedly going to be all the more painful. She smeared her own hands with redwort so she herself didn't infect him, trying not to grimace knowing that all the other people in there were at risk of doing so. Yet their presence was necessary, so she would have to bear with and keep her patient as sterilized as possible.

----------------------
@Azhdarchid @Boo

This had not been a fish-giving time for the dolphins - the emergency was too dire for that - but apparently that didn't deter a certain hanger-on from thinking that was the case, however. Endellisk's eyes whirled bright orange and red for a few moments before she recognized the wher. Her facets returned to the green and orange that had dominated before. The cyan growled slightly.

Hygge, fishes for whers, please. The dolphin dove as his partner whirled about, espying the intruder. Her heart shuddered for a moment, knees shaking. It was dark and he was large. In the lighting he was the Arovisk from her nightmares, come to take her Endellisk away. The monster sent to finish the job of destroying her soul. Endellisk stepped between Dolphineer and Iron, the sharp whistle from the waters making the cyan turn her head and watch a fish plop to the boards beside her. Quick to dart her head and toss it at Slosk, Endellisk nudged hers.

Come. Must be finding way to Weyr. Queen asking for Dolphineers. Climb on back. Endellisk strong for carrying Endellion. Will carry Endellion everywhere.

Tears streaming down her face, Endellion reached her arms up to clasp them about her cyan's neck and pull herself to her feet before trying to get aboard her Bonded's back. The cyan bent down to help hers. It only took moments for Endellion to settle in before they were off like a comet. As they wound their way up the side of the river they could see a second blob heading towards the ocean.

Waters-thing two head to sea! Thing leave Weyr! Need fire here, keep from escape! Endellisk called it out to the Queen and her own Alpha-handler, knowing that Couineth directed the dragons of the weyr. That she was the Alpha of the Fliers, that they would listen to her. And, if needed, Vresk would get the whers of the weyr in on this as well. In the meanwhile, she could see a Viridian dropping firestone in the Bowl for other whers to combat the second creature.

Endellisk came to a halt. Come, Mine, no tears timing. Off. We fight! Vespi-wings! Needing flamestone here! Bring please! Her head raised to the sky as her Handler slid off, distracted from her own misery by the thing. Endellion didn't have words for it, but by Faranth she didn't want it getting to the ocean. Not where Hygge and the pod were.
^
Sari
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

(Rein'l) @anyone who needs an extra helper

With the girl seen too, there was little for him to remain, in fact there was every reason not to. Still, he kept an eye on the pair of children, right until he was sure they were well. Soroth wasted no time from there, she'd taken wing and had been circling the bowl, mindful to stay out of other's way, while keeping close tabs on the beast. As soon as she was able, she landed, and saw to her's mounting up. No one was going to harm her most precious Rein'l.

The former drudge didn't know what to make of the chaos of the water beast. It was just so surreal, the only thing that kept him moving was instinct. There was something dangerous on the loose, the time for stopping and asking questions was not now. So, the pair took off, the orders were to get out of the way weren't they? Still, before returning to their ledge to watch the going's on, Soroth reached out to the dragons that were evacuating, flaming or otherwise working to secure the Weyr, as well as the whers, who no doubt would be the most important force given the lateness of the hour.

~If there are any in need of assitance, Mine and I are ready to help. ~

------------------------------------------------------------

(W'o and Lemasyth) @Kestrel, @Azhdarchid

Oh no, oh no. Lemasyth started to pace, trying to keep his anxiety down, but his eyes were yellow through and through. He hadn't woke his W'o when they'd all been shown the hurt man. His was so tired from the drills, and the washing, getting ready to join a Wing, and of course all his Harper training. Now though things had becoming dangerous and scary, and he didn't know what to do. The blue wanted to help, to fly down and help flame that thing on the Weyrbowl, but he was so small compared to Baihujinth, and he would probably get in the way. More distressing though, he didn't know where their Tanner had gone to. Well okay, he sort of knew, but it was so far away and there was rock in the way and he just wanted to be close and be sure their Tanner was okay.

That was it, he could take it no more! Lemasyth mentally prodded his W'o, and nudged at him with a big nose. W'o was still half asleep by the time he'd pieced together that, for some reason, they needed to go, now! Noodle apparently had to come too, or so Lemasyth insisted, keeping most details to himself in his single minded want to get to their Tanner. So, up W'o climbed, in hastily thrown together clothing, hair mussed up from having just climbed out of bed, and just so un'W'o like in his disheveled state, with a Noodle in his jacket.

As they flew, the cold winds of fall started to rouse his mind and. By Franath, what was going on?! Had they been issued orders? What were they supposed to be doing?

~We must find our Tanner W'o! She is not with B'er, or Fisher, or Harper, or Weaver, or H'ler, or Mifth, or Jyderin or Z'dyn.. I ... guess it is good she is not with Z'dyn, Baihujinth is fighting~ Lemmy was worried and upset, and wanting so much to do something, anything to be sure their Tanner stayed safe. The wave of assurance he received from his was only so settling, not nearly enough, they needed to be with their Tanner, right now! This was not normal like threadfall.

~We will find Tanner~, he assured firmly, burying his own rise of concern. He couldn't let Lemmy sense how the news that his young sister was not with someone he knew would keep her safe. ~However, flying aimlessly around the bowl...~

~I know where our Tanner is~ It wasn't like Lemasyth to interrupt, not in the slightest, further testimony to just how distressed he was. W'o decided, so long as they stayed out of the way, it was best just to go along with their 'rescue mission', besides, he very much wanted to see for himself that Tanner was alright as well.

Invariably, the 'heros' arrived at Unath's ledge, Lemasyth fretting as he landed, wings twitching and his claws clacking at the stone.

~Miss Lady Unath?~ he offered shyly. ~Please, may we come find our Tanner?~
^
Tobes
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 10:25 PM
Wingrider

N/A

219 Posts
4881 Marks

W’ryn stood near-rooted to the floor of her room, ear pressed flat to the door, as if the muffled voices she could hear through it were somehow more intelligible than what filtered through her dragonet. Earth, for his part, was no longer the complacent blue lump, but a tense grounded mass of dragonflesh, gripping the four corners of his stone couch as sturdily as a statue. His out-stretched neck was long enough to put his head level with his rider’s, where it hovered several inches above.

“Why won’t they tell us anythin’,” she whined, shifting her weight anxiously. Earth had been withholding the cries of his brethren from her until he had sorted it out, to better make sense of the situation, until she snapped at him to open up and let her hear it as well as he did. He had obliged with only a grunt of protest. W’ryn was faster at puzzling things out sometimes, but she jumped to conclusions before acquiring all the information, too. And the images that came in were horrid. He did not like feeling the nausea that rose in her stomach at the human gore, where his own feeling were steadier, less… visceral. Still, between the two of them, they were beginning to make some sense of the situation.

It is approaching the Barracks, Earth stated in his leaden voice, his eyes red whorls but little else about him out of place. W’ryn, for her part, was quivering with nerves, not fear but a desire to move, fight, do something other than wait for orders. And those orders would not be to help, but to secret themselves away, hide, be weak. She spared a glance at her Blue. Still a child, but not so weak as he had been from the egg, now several seasons past the hatching. Her first instinct was to protect him, but only slightly behind was the need to protect her fellows, and their dragonets. Hearing nothing on the other side of the door—Pipperith had departed—W’ryn dared to open it just enough to peek outside, fearing no reproach without adults to see them. Nothing much to see. She crept forward, Earth’s sinuous neck following the curve of the door at her shoulder, then jumped at a new voice shouting directly between their ears.

Weyrlings! Evacuate to the Hatching Grounds quickly! Single file! Stay behind me and Pippereth!

While Earth shuffled into the main hallway of the Barracks, his eyes still firmly locked on the door, W’ryn made a dash for the farthest door from the entrance. Checking each, making sure that the occupants were out, that everyone was moving towards safety, or danger, whatever it was that their Weyrlingmaster was drawing them toward. If they balked, she was ready to chide and quite literally rattle her saber in its scabbard to move them along, although it was only a smallish hunting knife and she only a scrawny teenager. She moved back up towards the entrance, more slowly, borrowing Earth’s eyes occasionally to make sure the others were making it out to the waiting Pink. With each passing minute, Earth’s wings mantled higher around his head, and at last he let out a little roar—not so loud as any adult dragon, but defiant nonetheless. They would not be scared! They were strong, and many.

I don’t know if it’s smart or not, my dear Earth, but let’s see them all out safe first. We’ll be the last ones out.

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jul 5 2016, 11:22 PM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

"Not very much. I don't know enough about fellis to properly judge too much. I just poured some onto a cloth and put it over his mouth and nose until he quieted down," Lintara told Kira. "It wasn't very much, though. The fellis was in diluted form already, if that helps any." At any rate, Aikila was awake and apparently aware of his surroundings again. Though it remained to be seen if sanity had returned to the man as well.

The young woman shuddered at the thought of going into the washroom to get water for washing the wounds. "Even if that water around the beasts were clean, they're too large to get any without risk of attack. They're both man-sized and are taking up a good chunk of the basin. But I've sent for a bucket of clean water to be brought here. In fact, it should be here soon." The young Smith woman had Lintask contact one of her old Wherling classmates to bring them the water, and they seemed willing to detour down here before joining the fight by the lake.

A few moments later a white nose poked its way into the room, followed by the rest of the White wher, proud as any King should be. Busk was grumbling up his usual complaints about the evils of water, and how its only good uses were for drinking and making plants grow. Otherwise the entire lot of it could be dumped between for all he cared.

He rumbled a greeting to his Prideleader, Tusk. Lintask tell Busk and Busk's to bring water here. Say bad water here, lake, river. Busk say all water bad not for drink or plants, but no-one listen. he informed the older Green, who was quite likely aware of the smaller wher's opinion on that subject. Exhausting so, more than likely.

Burl followed his wher in, giving a nod of greeting to Tussbuul. "Prideleader," the large man said evenly, adjusting the small sack of Firestone slung over his back. "I was asked to bring some water here for a patient, plus that one of the monsters was here too."

The Miner set the bucket by where Kira was sitting, giving her and Io'tez a brief nod of acknkowledgement. He took a quick look at the victim and looked away; if that was what these monsters did to people, he didn't want to run into it. But since his job description did say 'protect Weyr from enemies', he was likely going to have to.

Meanwhile Busk poked his nose into the bathroom to get a glimpse of this bad water everyone was screaming about. He would've charged ahead and attacked the blobs right then and there, but for Burl's mentally restraining him. It didn't stop the White from preparing for battle; he'd eaten firestone before entering the guest quarters, and would flame this bad water if necessary. Unhappily he had to use Burl's definition of necessary instead of his own, but he could live with it. Grudgingly.

Meanwhile Lintara and Lintask moved from their post in the doorway and went to the foot of the bed. The woman placed one hand on Aikila's ankle, and the other on the Cyan's head. The wher sat next to her, tail wrapping around Kira's ankle. "If that thing comes out here in attack mode, we're jumping you two to safety. Neither of you can fight or run fast in your current conditions."

She mentally ordered Dolphin ahead to her selected destination to make sure there was an area clear enough for them to emerge intact. It was a location just outside the Infirmary, where few people were likely to walk at that time of night. Once found and confirmed clear, she had Lintask and Dolphin ping her cousin's friend E'do and Alfonth to go down and keep the area free from people and to give good co-ordinates for their possible jump. And to provide enough light to see by, if needed.

Lintask looked up at Io'tez. If clutchfather want come with Lintask if need to jump, grab Lintask wing. Take with, extending a bony wing to the man. His choice to accept or not. The other handlers they figured could defend themselves well enough to survive.

@Kiran, @RhiaBlack, @Azhdarchid

This post has been edited by Tigersilk: Jul 5 2016, 11:28 PM
PMEmail
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 12:30 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Kestrel @Rowana @Kiran @Tigersilk @guestsuitecrew

Tusk's eyes turned white, protected by inner lids as she leaned closer and stuffed the first chunk of firestone in between the thorns of Chisk's jaws. She shuffled backward, smacking the essence of brimstone from her tongue.

No smell now, she reported, puffing at the air.

The creeping storm jiggled at the first lick of orange to its faceless bulk. A patch of opacity appeared where the fire had struck hardest. With the alarm speed of a bleaching coral, the structure sank in on itself, and the sphere shrank. Bubbles and ooze appeared in its wake on the structures that emerged from its interior: first, flakes of skin from someone's arm floating on its gauzy surface. Then, the reddened bones of a corpse, already decomposing. The human silhouette the skeleton had kept all this time was an illusion, there were no tendons or sinew holding the pieces together, and no sooner was any bone exposed than it floated apart in the bath-water that rushed in to the newly available space.

And therein lay the problem: eventually the storm lay shrunken and utterly submerged at the bottom of the bath, surrounded by the remnants of its meal. Tunnels feeding and draining the natural wellspring lay to either side, and the way the blob rocked it could roll off either way at any moment.

Tusk came over to look, a fresh block of firestone locked in her jaws. Rather than giving the rock to Chisk or Wynsk, she dropped it into the bath. The jet black stone landed in front of one of the holes. Tusk wove her head around. Tussbuul was still in the other room. The green hopped her front paws onto the basin wall, then stuck her head into the bloody water. One big eye stayed fixed on the creeper. With her stubby nose, she jammed the rock deeper into the outflow tunnel. Now the only opening had a steady stream of hot water pushing against any entrant.

She retreated, hopping in place even though the creeping storm had not made contact with her. It was still rocking in place, its fibrous skin white as a pearl. Water come out, she told Chisk. The water level in the basin began to rise. Face wet, get your own rock now.

Tussbuul glanced away from the healer and patient at the sound of something splashing in the washroom. He could not see through the door from this angle though, and Tusk gave no alarm.

Aikila's head jerked towards the washroom too, but the movement and the fellis combined was too much to support and still manage a panic too. He groaned, his healthy hand reached for the scissors Kira was using on his tunic, only to have it swatted down and held to the mattress for a moment by the observing Master. His physical protests stopped after that, even when another hand wrapped around his ankle.

"Tusk says the water is pink. There's blood in it," Tuss told Kira. "But Busk is-" already present.

Good Busk, Tusk praised.

The current proved too much for the creeping storm. The size of an adolescent child, it abruptly let go of the basin floor and rocketed out with the bathwater, slipping and sliding up against one of the walls. Various leftover bodyparts went with it, and clattered to the ground amidst a spreading quarter-inch puddle. Tusk left the storm to the others, and jammed her head back into the basin to retrieve the firestone blocking the exit tunnel.

"Who are you all?" Aikila offered in a severely untimely question.

"Tusk says the water in the basin is clean now," Tussbuul answered.

-

@+Kiran

Slosk snapped up the fish offered to him and dropped out of sight with a growl. It was his fish now after all. When he stuck his head back up, jaws open (and empty) again, the bellringer was gone. The iron watchwher noticed a little moisture sprinkled on the cobbles, and stuck out his tongue to lick what he hoped was blood. But it wasn't.

Nothing but salt.

-

@+Kestrel @RhiaBlack bowlflamecrew

As with the storm in the bath, the lake storm shrank under the multiple streams of heat. Unlike the bath storm, it was not surrounded by water.

It shrank into a hairy white puddle, then the puddle briefly caught aflame. Then there was nothing but a black scorch scar on the Bowl floor.

-

@+Rowana @Weyrlings

Pipperith, all her firestone bags dispensed, flew over the single-file caterpillar of baby dragons taking refuge in the Sands. The wind of passing kings on the attack tossed her into a sideways spiral, but it was nothing a fighter could not escape from. She flapped her forked tail upon rebalancing, but let Ziprith handle the verbal elements of the herding. She was there to count bodies and establish that nothing was rolling out of the lake to nibble on hatchlings as they passed. Nothing was.

-

@+Kiran @+Tigersilk

Unfortunately for the bronze, the river storm was aided by the rushing current, and the long night surrounding them. For a second it caught on Zeuth's talon, like it had caught on reeds and sticks before him. But its watery bed rendered it slippery, less solid, and all the huge dragon managed to do was punt it a short ways further downstream. There it fell into deeper and faster waters, and spent only intermittent periods at the surface. A couple of semi-aquatic wherries paddling stationary at the river's center vanished underwater with the bubbly distortion's passing, dragged down by their submerged feet. Handfuls of broken brown and black feathers drifted up in the storm's wake.

[ once again, qaelis-crew tag later :P ]
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Kiran @Tigersilk

Another request. They’ve spotted one in the river. Vespasiath’s tone was tense, razor focused on their task as they did their small part in defending the weyr.

My. Well, that looks bad. V’yeri’s was not. But he was no less attentive, no less quick to flip through the options at hand, weighing and dismissing with a rapidity exclusive to such crises. Tell her her firestone is on its way… He considered the images Vespasiath had shared with him, courtesy of Orisk—the river, the blob, in sharp clarity despite the dark. But if she doesn’t mind terribly, perhaps we can take a crack at it first.

Endellisk. We will drop your firestone near you, but due to its location in the river, an overhead flame may be more efficient. Keep watch on it, and continue to share its location with me, to ensure I do not miss. If your dolphins are in the area, ask them to dive. I do not wish to see them burned. If we fail, and it reaches the deeper water, V’yeri asks if it would be possible for them to use their tails to fan it toward the surface? Or, at least, away from floating further out to sea. He paused, after the string of commands was complete. Please.

The glow-lit viridian swooped low along the riverbank, and a firestone bag was dropped near the faint shimmer of cyan hide. Vespasiath then wheeled back, coming in low to fly above the river, in the same direction as its current. Whenever the water monster surfaced, he would be ready to give it a long blast of flame, from the stone he’d had digesting in his own gut. Always be prepared.

Zeuth, I am in position to attempt to flame the ‘storm’. His voice extended to any whers in the area, a mental urging them back from that part of the river, if any were close. Keep clear.

-------

@Rowana @Azhdarchid @Aikila’n’pals @Weyrleaders

The reaction was immediate.

And promising. The creeping storm began to shed bones as a fish would shed scales, shrinking from the insult of orange flames. If there had ever been any doubt in Chiyo’s mind that the water-eater’s victims had been beyond saving long before she’d arrived, the revelation of its contained shadows was enough to remove it.

While the purging of its own meal, the bubbling, and the shrinking would be enough to inspire hope in a less devoted pessimist, the fact that it also sunk after it shrunk was…less encouraging. “Alright. Any volunteers to scoop it out?” Sarcastic questions aside, she was soon out-engineered by a skinny green wher as Tusk jammed up the tunnel. She shrugged. “Or that.”

Chisk grinned gape-mouthed and green-eyed at the wher. Many thanks, sister.

Tusk’s rock plug did its work. The creeping storm shot free of its watery shelter, lying exposed and withered on the stone. “Two trails came in here,” Chiyo mused, though her target was Wynmuri as much as herself. “Did they combine?” Chisk sniffed at the thing to test that theory, to see if she could detect both scent trails in this quivering bag of bones, or if there was one storm yet unaccounted for. Chiyo gestured to the outflow tunnel. “Better hope so, ‘cause if not, it could’ve gone anywhere.”

The creeping storm’s life, whatever life it could be said to have, would last only until Chisk had collected its scent signature. At Chiyo’s command, the wher rounded closer to the bubbling sludge. Night night. Wicked jaws opened, and a tongue of flame lunged for the creeping storm’s remains.

Then was the mental work. Sending the Weyrleadership the images, the report of flame’s success. Chiyo-Chisk reportin’ in. Flame hurt water-bag good, shrunk real fast, coughed up them ‘prentice-bones what water-bag was eatin’ on, but sunk to bottom-water. No regrow too quick. Were four trail, in here. Two led in. Soup-smell-trail went through rock. Blackdrink trail go out in hall. Chiyo-Chisk follow blacktrail next. What-smell water-bag out there?

Provided the creeping storm was properly incinerated, Chiyo and Chisk would cross back through Aikila’s quarters, to pick up a new scent. Nature of the job—finish one thing, there was always another thing waiting. Chiyo angled her ear down toward the speaking Aikila as she passed. “Alive, and so are you. You’re welcome.”

-------

It had worked.

Vresk reared up and roared in triumph, her handler looping an arm around her headknobs as her orange mount shifted. Good-do, all-wher! One storm black-dead, two more storm found. We fight to-gether, we turn two-storm to ashdust too! She had nothing but pride in her whers.

After Chisk’s report, Vrell nudged Vresk forward, toward the blackened stone, to sniff it for any remaining hint of klah, or soup. If it bore neither, it may have been the second washroom creeper, rinsed out to the lake. No one would rest easy, or perhaps rest at all, until all four storms were reduced to nothing but an ugly reminder.
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 02:23 AM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

((Edited, since I misinterpreted certain lines of Azh's post. sad.gif ))

Instead of really feeling scared at the thought of the blobby monsters, Ylva found herself somewhat intrigued by them. She happened to have been standing fairly close to Couineth's tail when the one monster emerged from the lake.

What substance was keeping the water in their bodies in a semi-solid shape on land, or made it move like warming oil being prepared for cooking? Furthermore, how was it moving itself without any visible bone or muscles? She'd heard of sea creatures that were made of similar-looking fluids, but those couldn't survive more than a few minutes outside the water. So how were these surviving...? So many things to write down in her notebook.

Unfortunately one of the known characteristics about this animal was that it ate people by tearing them into shreds, something the teen preferred to avoid. So she left off her observations and hurried over to help herd the Weyrbrats into the Lower Caverns, where it was hopefully safer. If there was anything left of the monsters in the morning, she'd try to study them again.

Zeuth ignored Baihujinth's yelling at him; he had more important things to do than argue with the hard-headed over his allegedly dimglow actions. Surely they didn't think he really was that stupid to deliberately fly into another dragon's flame, did they?

The Bronze did, however, acknowledge what he and Keukorimath told him of the creature's method of killing. I appreciate the warning, but one of these creatures has been spotted in the river by the Weyr entrance. I am trying to get to it before it gets to the ocean.

The odds were greatly stacked against him succeeding, he knew that. Full night, dark deep water with both moons reflecting off the waves, a small transparent blobby object bobbing along the current...but Zeuth couldn't live with himself if he didn't make the attempt to catch it. He finally spotted it floating on the surface of the river outside the Weyr walls, far too close to the ocean for comfort.

The appearance of Vespasiath gave him some comfort as a back-up in case his catch failed. I am going to try and flip it to shore first, Vespasiath. If you try to flame it in water it will likely just dive down deeper where we can't get to it. It seems to use water as a way to heal itself quickly. If I fail, though, we flame the river as the back-up plan. Two sets of dragon eyes were more useful than one in this case. Once the Bronze was in position, he made the dive for it.

Only to have the thing ooze through his claws and land in deeper water. Zeuth roared in frustration; he hated to fail like that! Then turned his thoughts to other ways of catching the thing. He turned towards his partner in this endeavor. This thing is like trying to grab river mud. The whers say if it's hit by flames while in water it sinks to the bottom, which was why he was trying to flip the thing to shore; so it could be burned and not recover. Plus trying to retrieved something from the bottom of a river's current while dark - better luck trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack.

He passed to the Viridian what he observed of the lake monster's abilities up until it's beating by Pippereth, and it's reforming from that. Do you think a scoop like a water trough might work best in getting this thing out of the water, or should we grab some fishers' nets to trap it? Because even if the dolphins mansged to herd the thing to the surface, they still couldn't flame the thing until it got out of the water. Or else they'd just go through this cycle again.

-----------

G'len tiredly made his way back towards where he'd left Rayna; he'd have tried to join his dragon in going after the blobby thing, but Zu wasn't wearing his harness, and wasn't going to stop long enough to get it. So he decided to wait out this hunt with his friend and leadership partner instead. Spotting the Weyrwoman, he walked over to her to give the report of what was happening downriver.

"Zu made an attempt to fish it from the river, but he said the thing had the same consistency as the mud on bottom of the river. He and V'yeri are searching the river now and brainstorming ways to catch the thing long enough to land and flame it. So far they've found signs of animals it's eaten, but that's it so far." He ran his fingers through his hair, tired out from both the late hour and the excitement from earlier. "Any orders, or suggestions? Besides making up a list of people we should warn about this thing if they can't find it, let alone kill it?"

@Kestrel, @Boo, @RhiaBlack

This post has been edited by Tigersilk: Jul 6 2016, 06:49 AM
PMEmail
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Tigersilk

A prickle of irritation manifested as orange sparks in Vespasiath’s eyes at the revisions to his plan, revisions he did not see as more likely to lead to success. Kings—thought they knew everything. Though, Zeuth did his council at the end of it, which mollified the viridian somewhat. It would eat through the net. A trough is too narrow for its current size; it is unlikely to be any more successful than your paw. And unless you have one in your claws already, by the time one could be retrieved, we may lose the creature to the depths. A dragon could certainly scoop something free from the bottom of the river, but from the ocean? That was another matter entirely.

According to the whers, the creeping storm shrinks after direct contact with fire. It also causes the creature to give up its digestive contents. It is reasonable to conclude that something divulging its current meal would not simultaneously attempt to eat more. Hitting it with fire would render it less dangerous, to our dolphins and to everyone else, giving us more time to remove it from the water before it eats everything. If it sinks to the bottom of the river, the dolphins should be able to find it and keep track of it with their sound-sight. And once it shrinks, retrieving it with a trough will be much more plausible. I remain in position. I recommend you allow me to flame it at the first opportunity.

There was still a chance that the current would do their work for them, carrying the creeping storm toward the sea—what was suited to freshwater did not always take well to salt. But until the knew for sure, they had to prepare for the worst.
^
Boo
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 06:36 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3174 Posts
2510 Marks

Baihujinth, thank you. Please, be safe.
The gold spoke to the iron as he landed, shifting back slightly so she was not in the way of the dragons who could actually flame. There was little else she could do except act as a barrier between the creature and the infant dragons of the Weyr.

Rayna watched as Couineth halted the movement of the creature. It had lunged towards Pipperith and then just as suddenly had halted. The pink then, as a reaction of fear no doubt, had smashed it to the ground. However, it had then just as it had done before, reformed. It was then that the dragons that could chew Firestone started making their attempt.

The Weyrwoman was only cursorily aware of Zeuth's movements, focussed instead on the actions of her own dragon. The Queen moved once more, to allow the Weyrlings to move out past her but in such a way that she funnelled them away from the creature. Her golden bulk a shield. The gold dragon's eyes gleamed as the Firestone consumed the creature and slowly burned it to ash. Or whatever it was that was left on the ground.
Very well done Pipperith. You are quite a formidable dragon. Couineth responded to the pink with some small amusement, looking at the bent metal rod.

Soroth, take a bag of Firestone and hasten to the mouth of the river. Follow the movement of the creature and attempt to burn it.
It was all they could hope for. She didn't know how far down the creature had gotten but they had to try something. It was no use letting it get out into the oceans where it could instead harm the fisher crafters.

We are sending more flame stones to you, Chisk has also reported success in the baths, Couineth broadcast to Endellisk, Vespasiath and Zeuth, What can the Dolphins do? I do not know these creatures well. Can they tell us where the monster is in the water? If they can, direct Vespasiath, Zeuth and Soroth to them.
She then sent her thanks to the green wher who had reported the flames in the baths.

"We are sending Soroth to the mouth of the river to assist. At least the Firestone seemed to work..." Rayna said, "At the very least we should get some beastcrafters over here to examine the scorch that was left. Perhaps there is some clue here?"
Rayna began approaching the scorch mark in the bowl then.

@Kiran @Tigersilk @Sari @Azhdarchid @RhiaBlack @Kestrel

PM
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 09:00 PM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

A river is not a washbasin, though. All because both contain water does not mean we'll get the exact same results here as the whers did, Zeuth countered. Rivers were much, much deeper and wider than any basin created by humans could ever hope to be, allowing the blob to diffuse its body (if that's why this thing wasn't quite as solid as the lake one was) over a much wider area.

Plus rivers were chock full of plants and animals and rocks that humans generally disliked having in their washing pools. Any of those things could massively skew the results of a good flaming on the thing. Still, he didn't have any better ideas right then. At the very least, the results of Vespasiath's flaming should give them some more information on what the creature's capabilities were. Who knew, maybe the things the Bronze saw as possible varibles wouldn't be, in the end.

Yes, flame the thing when it surfaces again. And hopefully we can scoop it out of the water before it recovers itself, if the flames didn't kill it outright. Best to plan for as many possibilities as possible, as His would tell him. That way, they'd be better prepared for whatever did happen.

A touch from G'len told him who else was headed out this way. Good, more eyes to see with, and reduce the chances of the blob entering the ocean. Soroth! Zeuth addressed his Cyan daughter. Bring some watering troughs from the beastpens on your way over here. We may need them to scoop the monster out of the river, if we succeed in either killing it or rendering it inert. Whether Vespasiath's plan or some other plan succeeded, he wasn't going to leave the body out here to rot and possibly turn into some new horror to destroy his home. Not if he had anything to say about it.

Meanwhile, back at the Weyrbowl, G'len caught the attention of a wherhandler passing by. "Have someone bring some torches out here so we can get a good view of those remains. Plus if there's any Beastcrafters and Healers about who might want to study this thing , have them come out here too." He would've had Zu do the ordering for him, but his dragon didn't need the distraction right now.

@Kestrel, @Sari
PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 10:19 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
0 Marks

Baihujinth, his part of what appeared to be duty pertaining to the Bowl's immediate area, lingered defensively while the others handled the Creeper in the river. Keukorimath bumped his head fleetingly against the Iron's neck, before he lingered beside his weyrmate and awaited any further antics or orders; momentarily, at least. Eventually, the yellow-hued Brown padded over towards the Sands, and sat to keep watch on the entrance.

Now without his Brown company, the Iron lingered as he watched Couineth. He craned his neck towards the bouncing glows close to the harbor and Bowl's opening, until they vanished from sight. It appeared that things were being handled, for now. He had no doubt that he'd be called if he was needed, and as such, kept a watchful eye on the remains of the burned Creeper until either it was collected, or they blew away in the wind. Either way, he stayed until Couineth might depart, and once his Queen was gone, he, too, ventured over to the Sands to keep a watchful eye.

Isk continued to pace, Ijo rubbing his temples idly. A headache was manifesting itself quickly, what with all the noise and everything to keep track of, the worry over his Class, the concern of what lingered beyond their immediate space. Perhaps the Sands would be a better choice, but for now, it was safer to remain where they were.

Is fine, Isk answered curtly. Know for next time. Make sure follow rules, will be good. Osk Bronze, will be one other littles look to. Big response-bili-tee.

Ijo leaned against the wall, as Isk continued his patrol.

@Ruin

PM
^
Sari
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

(Rein'l and Soroth) @Tigersilk, @Kestrel

Orders were received, first from Couineth. Silence answered her mother Queen, as Soroth offered only a wave of respectful acknowledgement. Now was not the time to distract her, even if the Queen could not fly, it was still her Weyr to watch over, and she was making sure the babies were safe. Relaying the message to her's, the pair quickly dove in to get the firestone, though it wasn't just the bag that the cyan chewed to help, but two additional bags as well. There was no knowing how long the attack would need to be, it was better to have extra. With the extra bags secured, the pair were off again, until Soroth diverted.

~Soroth?~

~We have additional orders from Zeuth~ As Soroth detoured to grab up a water trough per back paw and one between her forepaws, she needed to wrap her tail around the pair to help keep them from tipping, the sides not designed with dragon transport in mind. Despite the dark, the glows sported by the Viridian made it easy, both for herself and for Rein'l to spot the pair.

~We have additional firestone if you are in need. ~ She informed both males present, as she approached. Diving in close to the ground, Soroth dropped the troughs along the bank, before winging back up to the skies. No doubt Zeuth meant for the larger of the trio to manage this, if the thing in the water had weight to it. In any event, carrying them might disrupt attempts to flame. From there Rein'l could throw V'eyri another bag of firestone to the Wingleader, and the agile cyan was poised to follow any directives on positioning or targeting. Her mind brushed against the Virdian's alerting him that she was both present, and ready.
^
Azhdarchid
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 02:20 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Water. Drawn into a stinking pink ball by the tiny flames of watchwhers, then put out by the same.

Mud. Scorched at the lakeside.

Soup. Bobbing towards the sea. The occasional flame at its back and belly both did little to stall its progress to the river delta, but at the first blast it disgorged the paddler wherries. They flapped and shrieked in the middle of the river, divulged of most their feathers, skins raw and green, eyes stuck shut till enough of cleaner waters prised the gelatin holding their eyelids. They swam to shore and waddled to a muddy nest in the reeds.

Klah. The trail had gone just outside the guest suite and vanished ceilingward. The firelizard's investigations turned up nothing of it, just the old evidence of its passing.

-

Slosk crawled out of no longer fruitful seas, and was moping on the beach dockside when fire bloomed wide in the distance. The old iron raised his head, a drowned growl cycling in his wrinkled throat. His eyes glowed a pale and northerly blue, ticking from the steam charged from the water, up the column of flame to the head of the beast responsible. A strange sickly green shiner, its size eclipsing his own mountainous bulk a hundred-fold.

Coming closer. As he shuffled to his feet, he smelled injured wherry, and a green fork oozed from the end of his long jaw. And the autumn wind spoke of burnt meat too, the huge wild wher dragging his head into the breeze in consideration. Food, but fire, and dragons. Wisdom prevailed, and he wandered backwards into the ocean. His head he ducked under, his claws he dug into the wet murk, and his hump protruded from the waves like a rock, eyes playing the role of some phosphorescent green algae at its base.

-

@Sari @Kestrel @Raining @qaeliscrew

Flaming dragons now roved beyond the Bowl, visible still to the highest weyr, and the tan clung to its ledge. Without a movement of her blue eyes to him:

You are not invited here. Go, she ordered Lemasyth, as Q'sis lowered the firestone sack to his bedroom floor. He looked over his shoulder and through the inner weyr aperture at the blue, then dragged the sack out of sight. He came back, a black silhouette by glowlight. Unath twisted toward the smaller dragon, one forepaw rising and replacing itself for balance. The broad flukes of her tail flapped against the rock as she drew the appendage into a coil around her feet. My son took her, but this is my weyr. Go.

"I do not understand," Qaelis murmured, looking out at the new dragon. The floor beneath him had been overtaken by his father's shadow. "I do not know that blue. Do either of you?" he asked Serlie and Tanner.

-

@Kiran @Rowana @+Kestrel @guestsuitecrew

"Can you speak further?" Tussbuul asked after Aikila had raised his question, and received an answer. The Healer might have been attending him now, and Tuss knew it might not all be numbweed, but Aikila looked at him when he spoke.

"Yes."

"Where are your Apprentices?" He already knew one answer. Mannad peeked over Quartz's back at the scene. Aikila dropped his focus at the question. His eyes wandered. Tuss's eyebrows wrinkled, familiar with this scene but from a different angle. "Journeyman Aikila."

Aikila lifted his silver head from the bed, gazing over Kira's shoulder at the broken hammock posts along the walls. His chest seized, and Tussbuul laid a hand over the white tunic near his heart till it swore to beat closer to normal.

Report, Tusk sent to Vresk. Apprentices three, dead. Journey, alive. With a few heavy clicks, Tussbuul turned from the injured man's beside and headed after Chiyo into the hallway. Tusk had maneuvered in beside him while he spoke to Aikila, her disc-eyed assessment had been as crucial as his own to interpreting the Journeyman's responses. His firelizard had refused to come after all, even with his premiere usefulness in deducing silence.

-

@RhiaBlack @wherlings

The deep pool at the center of the Wherhandlers' Quarters had, in some places, a depth that escaped the whers' tremendous capacity for holding their breath. Like the Quarters, the pool had many ins and outs. The warmth of its waters left the entire Brown Court humid, a jungle inside the stone.

With the hens all out at work, a creeping storm took the opportunity to rise like a blue pimple at the center of the pool. Its surface was stained by silky black-brown veins, and it stunk like klah left out cold. It tumbled westward out of the water, slopping up against the back walls of the empty wherdens in the back of the Bronze Court. The storm ascended towards the ceiling of one den, and made its way back out into the alleyways while hanging upside-down, its advance marked by the occasional plip of lost mass.

It reached Isk on patrol, but did not stop. It tumbled mindlessly by twelve feet up, on its way to the Wherlings' Barrack.

The roving bundle of klah was the size of a kitten, and jiggled down the hallway erratically, changing its angle of movement much faster than the dismantled creepers outside.

-

@Tigersilk @+Kestrel @+Kiran @+Sari @riverflamecrew

The soup storm withstood every test of fire. It never stayed at the surface for long in the deep river. It was flung wholeheartedly into the ocean delta by the current. A few of its sides had turned white, but it remained fat on some undisclosed meal, and rolled around scouring plantlife and fingerfish into its gelatin belly. Anything too slow to recognize the oncoming distortion in the water was ripped from the delta sand.

It discovered the open ocean. Tumbled from the delta dropoff.

And disintegrated.

Fingerfish, not so well insulated as thick-feathered water wherries, floated to the surface in skinned schools of limp blue flesh.

Slosk would wait till the dragons went away to scoop them all up.
^
Ruin
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 02:44 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3414 Posts
10 Marks

She had fallen silent, not because she was remorseful, but because she was listening. Couineth was asking the Dolphineers how to best combat the threat, and a hundred answers swarmed through her head, but she sent none of them. Ijo was correct in many ways. Her place was here now, with her growing wher. She could no more protect Akke than she could see, it was time to rely on others. That didn't mean she stopped listening. If it wasn't for Osk and the others, she could have fallen away into the listening.

As it was, danger came to her.

It was doubtful that Isk missed any threat, maybe that was how she knew, or maybe she was always watching; the protectors of Pern since the beginning. Barb swarmed overhead of the innocent blob, screaming. She was a Red fury, her tiny jaws spewing fire in flashing gouts at the spooky fluid monster. Oreanda bristled, her mind reaching to Couineth again. There is something in the wherling barracks. Osk, having learned his lesson from Isk, relayed the same to Vresk .

Standing, holding Osk tightly to her, Oreanda turned to Ijo. She would run if she had to, to save herself and Osk, but she would give him a chance to see them through this safely.

@Boo @RhiaBlack @Kestrel @Azhdarchid

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 04:22 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Sari @Azhdarchid @Raining (Qaelisbunch!)

Tanner had ridden dragons before. But this was the first time making such a trip wrapped in a paw. She tried to see out, as she felt them lift free of the earth, suspended, surely, over the weyrbowl, but Unath’s claws permitted no window. And when the tan set her cargo down, she was already safely enclosed in stone.

Glimmer had tried to nip at the offending brown appendages, but Tanner had grabbed the stoat, holding her to her chest instead. Her purple firelizard settled for chittering indignantly, but the sound shrank away into silence, leaving only red eyes to proclaim his mood. The feeling from Tanner had quieted him, as an enormous man appeared from the darkness before them, towering over the children. Was this…it must be, Qaelis’s father. Q’sis, the tanrider.

“Thank you,” she said softly to the dragon, patting her foreleg, then ducked her head before their host in a bow. “And thank…you, sir.”

Was this alright? Would her siblings wonder where she had gone? Well, she was safe, and that was what they would want, wasn’t it?

Were her siblings themselves safe?

It was a hard question to answer, when she didn’t even know what was attacking them. It didn’t sound like all the dragons were out, rallying, so perhaps it was a small attack. Something less scary than the siege on Western. Still, every quiet minute of it only unsettled her further.

Lost in her own thoughts and worries, she didn’t notice the click of dragon talons out on the ledge, the swoosh of settling wings, until Qaelis spoke. “Lemmy!” she exclaimed, eyes widening as she looked up and spotted the weyrling dragon. “That’s—! That’s Lemasyth, he’s my brother’s dragon. He’s probably looking for me.” She rushed out toward the two dragons, stocky tan and rounder blue, and did not stop until she had reached Lemasyth’s forepaw. “Lemmy, I’m down here! It’s alright, my friend Qaelis brought me here. So we’d all be safe. W’o, are you okay? Is—is everyone else? It’s not like Western…right?”

-----

@Boo @RhiaBlack @Wherlings

Five seconds after Osk’s report reached Vresk, two flying shadows appeared in the wherling barracks. One black and one green, they split up, zipping through the hallways, the black silent and the green faintly chirping to herself. The black came upon the pliping blob first, and the green appeared at his side a moment later. Then the green vanished, leaving the black hovering in the cavern air. Watching.

Weyr-wo-man Rayna, Cou-i-neth. Last-storm, klah-storm, confirm in barracks. Smaller be than others. Vresk send whers now. Ray-na want firekill? Or…try cap-ture? For…study. Vresk relayed the message to the Weyrwoman as instructed by Vrell, accompanied by images, but growled at the last part, claws digging into the stone below her before she charged off toward the barracks with lashing tail. She was not her orange daughter—she wasn’t much inclined toward study, not when there was an enemy that could hurt her whers, hurt her handler, hurt the many faces who had once been her candy-dates. Her instinct was to fight, to destroy, until the threat was gone. Until her home was safe. She was ever a true wher. But she would follow their Weyrwoman’s instructions, whatever she decided must be done. That was their duty as Alpha and Handler.

Whers near be wher-side low-caverns! Need, fourth creeper-creep in barracks. In wher home, near baby! Bring flamerock, be ready. Isk, keep baby safe. If need move, if need escort, will have. Vresk send whers for protect.

-----

@+Boo, @Rii @riverfriends

It was a valiant effort.

One for the songs, Vespasiath was inclined to think, and for once, V’yeri could agree with him. The dragons flew through the black autumn night, wingtips skimming through the icy river on the downswing, jetting out blast after blistering blast of firelight at their murky foe. Their progress could be seen—with each new patch of white, hope swelled again in Vespasiath’s breast, and the viridian’s flame burned all the hotter as they endeavored to scorch the life-stealing fungus.

But it withstood their dauntless efforts. It reached the salt.

And died.

Rider and dragon sighed together, Vespasiath’s sending plumes of smoke curling away from sea-flecked green jaws. Well! What did I saw about fresh-water and salt-water life not mixing well, hm? Just as predicted!

Such was the relief that he received a rare chuckle from the dragon for his efforts.

Laanasuth, Couineth, Keth. The storm here is dead. Dispersed, more accurately. It can contain nothing, now. Still, we can have the dolphins check the area for unexpected life to be sure the threat has passed.

-----

@Rowana

Four.

Water. Mud. Soup. Klah. Chiyo exhaled as the news of the last storm’s sighting reached her through Chisk, after her own trail had gone cold. Well, that saved Dalibor’s whers a potentially lengthy job of scouring every tunnel and weyr that was burrowed into the dragonlengths of stone above their heads. And they were dying, one by one. The first fell to Chisk’s flame, the second to those in the bowl. The third, after all, to the salt.

She was too far away to have any interest in racing after the last. Let those in better position handle that. She turned, running her hand affectionately over the spikes and spines of her wher’s green head. Her well-traveled fingers knew their way around each protrusion. The gloved hand floated free at the end of its route, returning to her pocket as she walked through Aikila’s room, with no more than a glance at the journeyman and his ensemble, back to Wynmuri.

“Seems our work is done.”

Real pity, it is.

Chiyo’s dark eyebrows lifted slightly as she looked at her wher, a green not much given to sentimentality.

Lotsa cloth, furnitures, tapestry dimwater done ate. Valuable. Better Chisk fence it than get chew by grass.
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 06:55 AM
Wingleader

N/A

1121 Posts
2935 Marks

G'len could only sigh in relief at the report of the river-beast's demise. So there was a second substance around that could kill these things. Good to know fir handling these beasts in the future.

Relieved, until he got the report of where the last creature was. He paled, but otherwise showed no real reaction beyond worry; he'd trained himself well on that point. His sister was down there, and her wher was nowhere near ready to adequately defend her. G'len concentrated a moment, and two identical Burgundy firelizards appeared and settled by Galya's side, one closer to Gask than to her. His little 'bodyguards' might not be able to do a thing to a blob, but it made him feel better.

G'len turned towards Rayna. "Your choice, but if this last one is truly small enough to be caught in a large jar, we should. Have something for the Beastcrafters - or the Miners - to study and learn its other tricks. If for no other reason than there's more of these things under Western, and they'd likely want to know how better to deal with any they encounter in the wild." In his estimation it was only a matter of time before humans ran into another, and as they said, knowledge was power, and would be against these beasts.

@Rowana, @Boo
PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 07:36 AM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
0 Marks

((Short tag because I have to head to work in 20 mins.))

Ijo felt Isk's alert without the Wher having to say anything. His head pivoted to follow his wher's line of sight, though his own eyes were much less in the shadows than his Brown's. His grip tightened on the hilt of his machete. He could really use a couple flits of his own, right now.

All Wherlings closer, now, not argue with Isk, just do.
"You heard him; don't cluster up entirely, but give him a smaller area to make sure this thing doesn't hurt any of you."

He raked his brain for the access point for the nearest firestone supply; there was none in his quarters, but help came from an unlikely source.

Czervon came up the corridor, the Bluehandler having been close to the lower cavers and looking for the remainder of the Creepers when Vresk's call came. Firestone sacks tossed across either shoulder, and saber hanging from his hip, he dropped one for Czervosk to chew, and carried the other closer to Isk. It took only the look from the Brown for him to see - barely, as small as it was - where the mini-monstrosity was.

Ijo watched his wherlings, putting himself between the Creep and them. It would get to them, over his dead body.

Not worry, Isk comforted His. The latter was broadcast to the Bluehandler and Czervosk. Not let hurt littles. Isk, Czervosk, 'Von keep from getting away. Wait for Vresk to give order, maybe burn, or they come, keep.

To Vresk, Isk see. Have watch, have Czervosk, Vosk's, bring flamerock, have with. Ready fire, Vresk say. Follow now, wait Vresk say yes, no. Isk's have littles. Make sure safe. Tiny-wings there, too.

To His, he grumped. Guess this mean Ijo get tiny-wings like Bozidar, now, huh.

@Kestrel, @Wherlings

PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil