April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

Onward! {Songspinners}, WI:14 {Songspinner Graduation}
Lee
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Was it that time again?

F’dren sat quietly at the table, staring into his (mostly empty) mug of klah. It seemed like every season, he released another wing of weyrlings unto the world. Or, well, really, they sort of went into themselves as a generally self-sufficient unit. That was the the thing with having wings. You could sort of…well it was hard for the world to keep you out.

His mug was empty.

He stared at it, mournfully.

It was refilled, and he clasped the drudge firmly on the shoulder in thanks. Good man, that fellow.

He emptied the mug again.

And stood up.

He had been so focused on his klah he had completely missed the cadence of the conversation, and had, apparently, interrupted some discussion or another or speech by some other dignitary of note. He blinked solemnly at them, but did not sit down. He reached for his mug—already full, Good man, that man, good man—and just went with it.

He cleared his throat. Opened his mouth—

HOOOOORAAAAAAAY SONGSPINNERS! A bugling honk bellowed through the hall. F’dren didn’t bother to sigh, just sipped his klah.

Yes.” He agreed. “The Songspinners have fulfilled all requirements requisite to graduation and placement in wings.” This was to the crowd. To the weyrlings, who would have been cued by such a bellow to assemble, were offered a more quiet, “I am obliged to you.

With utmost solemnity, Mifth encouraged their draconic counterparts, Yes, yes, you did a VERY GOOD JOB of not dying! We are very proud of you, yes, yes we are.

F’dren turned back, and with a complete lack of flair or, really, anything interesting, rattled off in his typical monotone, handing knots out. “Fisher and Cyan Ijreth, C’lainn and Burgundy Tryonilth, to Dusk. M’shai and Green Rennieth, to Midnight. W’o and Blue Lemasyth, S’eng and Burgundy Freyotth, to Mayday. Venriali and Cyan Kalessith, V’ael and Black Baelyrth, to Heritage. W’rone and Yellow Sanarth, to Horizon.” And last, with an almost quirk of his lips, “B’oh and Iron Khadroth, wingseconds of Dawn.

He always felt like this was where he should tell them something inspirational, something that bring a misty tear to each eye in the hall, something shining breath of wisdom to carry with them forward into the world beyond weyrlinghood, some indication of how deeply he would remember them.

F’dren blinked once.

Nodded stiffly.

Sat down.

And drank his klah.
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Raining

Scaparra was getting to be an expert at these.

He had lost track of how many friends he had shown up to congratulate as they were officially whisked off to their grown-up wings—shards, how many former roommates, even. Maybe this, like many of the others, would be one of the last times he really talked to B’oh, now that he was about to get swept up in a world of wingdrills and threadfighting. It was a real possibility, he couldn’t say it wasn’t.

But he wasn’t worried about it. Not just because he had accepted that there just wasn’t any point getting all worked up over stuff like that, but also because he had a feeling, fallible though he knew those were, that this time, things were gonna be okay. Besides, that’s not what today was about. Today, his friend, who had found a flying, telepathic mindmate, officially completed a turn and a half of rigorous weyrling training and joined the ranks of the defenders of Pern.

And no matter how many times you saw it happen, that was pretty sharding special.

As it happened, though, there was something different about this particular friend’s graduation. Scaparra had started to wonder, as the Weyrlingmaster rattled down the series of names, from Dusk down to Horizon, without a mention of the one he’d been listening for. He almost started to get angry. Was B’oh not going to graduate with the rest of his class? What possible reason could there be for that? Yeah, maybe he could be a little timid, maybe he got scared sometimes, but so what? He worked just as hard as everyone else, maybe harder. He always tried to do the right thing.

Oh. Oh. Well, he hadn’t seen that coming. But surprise or no surprise, Scaparra applauded as loudly as anyone else, and once Bel seemed done with anything he wanted to say to his classmates or weyrlingmaster, the candidate made his way over, and clapped the new wingsecond on the back. “Man, what did you do? You sure must’a impressed somebody, hm?” He flashed him a broad grin, lifting and lowering one shoulder. “So, double congratulations, I guess.” Scaparra scratched at the back of his neck, beneath the green and black scarf he wore most days in winter. “Guess I should’a brought two presents. But you know, inconsiderately, no one bothered to come tell me you were making wingsecond, so you’ll just have to make due with one.” He reached into his pocket a drawstring cloth bag, passing it to B’oh.
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 05:58 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
505 Marks
Member Inventory: View

V'ael had been dressed smartly in new clothes, thanks to his adoptive brother-in-arms. To'rua had insisted on something proper and nice for the newly-christened Blackrider, though it could be debatable as to what qualified as "nice". A thigh-length jacket with matching black linen pants, boots, and belt, coupled with silver jewelry against his wrists. He accepted his knots with a wry grin towards F'dren, before setting a bag in exchange against the table beside the Weyrlingmaster. Within, was a hand-carved antler that he had progressively been working on throughout his Candidacy and Weyrlinghood.

Needless to say, the Holdless did know something about that sort of work, after all. All his own weapons were hand-carved, usually other pieces traded with the Smiths for blades for them. This piece, however, was more for the sake of decor than usage.

Saying nothing of it, he walked off, and promptly vanished into the gathered crowd; too many people, too much noise, and he was hardly the type to stick around for long. He almost got away, however. To'rua found him before he could skip the scene, and dragged him back towards one of the walls for some wine before his brother might disappear to the lower caverns, no doubt to catch up with all the lack of promiscuity he had suffered under F'dren's watchful eye.

C'lainn was equally dressed, Vunelio standing on hand to congratulate his sibling; Lainn seemed incredibly lackluster about the whole ordeal, though his decidedly squat and burly Burgundy had already begun to chat up other dragons outside. Lainn let him go. He hadn't the heart nor the desire to deal with his still-young drake. As far as he was concerned, Yon was his own problem. Vune settled into a seat, mulling over a mug of klah while his brother enjoyed a small amount of white wine with supper. In the back of his mind, the Burgundyrider was on watch for one face in particular, and made every effort to avoid her if he spotted her; luck was both for and against him. His choice of attire - gray slacks, vest, boots and belt with a burgundy shirt that matched the new knots sitting on his shoulder - didn't detract from the crowd as a whole, but his height and hairstyle certainly did. He made every effort to stay below the radar and evade notice.

[Only posting with these four. If you absolutely want someone else present, ping me with an alert. Otherwise, the ones tagged in here are it.]]

PM
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Sari

The big day had come. They hadn’t been the first of Tanner’s siblings to impress, grow, and graduate within Dalibor’s walls, but they were the first to do so while Tanner was here. And that, no matter what thoughts may have clouded the typically sunnier skies of her mind, was something she intended to celebrate.

She had dressed up for the occasion, wearing her favorite of her hand-me-down dresses, which, like all of her dresses, was several inches shorter on her than it used to be. It had made for a chilly walk through the bowl to the dining hall, but inside, the stone effused a familial warmth. Her blonde curls were brushed neat and bedecked with a ribbon, matched by the ones tied artfully around the necks of Shimmer and Glimmer. The purple firelizard was on her shoulder, neck arched proudly to display his pink ribbon, while Glimmer, in her winter-white coat, slept in her lap, her ribbon light blue. Tanner’s was a pastel green.

Her legs kicked absently under her chair as she listened to the Weyrlingmaster, until she realized she was doing it and went still, sitting up a little straighter. She beamed as rider’s knots were given to her brother and sister—blue and yellow for Fisher, red and purple to W’o. She tilted her head, mentally running through her memories of the knots her siblings wore, each one popping clearly into her head. Blue and orange for H’ler, purple and white for Be’st, green and brown for Harper and B’er, brown and blue for Dolphin. That meant they were in different wings, didn’t it? That was too bad, but it hardly detracted from the high spirits of the graduation.

“W’o!” She rushed toward him once the ceremony had concluded, wrapping her arms around him and pressing the side of her head into his clothes. Shimmer and Glimmer, now on each of her shoulders, chittered a bit at the encroachment on their space, but they were fairly used to it. She withdrew enough to grin up at him with green eyes bright. “You did it! You and Lemmy! Can you believe you’re real, grown-up dragonriders now? Just like Harper and Dolly and B’er and H’ler and Be’st!” She released her hold on him enough to reach into her pocket, shifting from side to side a little as she held something out to him.

“Um…I made you this!” ‘This’ turned out to be a lanyard a few inches long, woven from cloth threads in white, and pastel shades of blue, green, and yellow. A rounded piece of iridescent blue-green seashell was strung into the middle by a hole in the center, and while one end had a long loop for hanging or tying, the other terminated in a small blue and yellow feather. “I’m really, really happy for you and Lemmy, but threadfighting is pretty dangerous, you know? So I thought maybe you could put this somewhere on your flight straps when you do it, for good luck! And to remind you to be careful up there, ‘cause if you don’t I won’t talk to you for a week.” She made a stern face at her brother, lest he doubt how serious she was.
^
Kiran
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@RhiaBlack

Fyska had dressed up especially for tonight. After all, she and Hono had made promises to some of the graduates long ago. A deep, fiery orange dress swathed her short but decently curved form. It had a deep V, accentuated with an intricate necklace her father had made her. Her hair was done up in braids pinned with gold and pearls, that cascaded down her back, and fine stitching from her sister laced about the hems of the dress. She felt beautiful in it.

But you are beautiful in it, silly. Hono's breath puffed over her and she chortled.

"And you are lovely as well. Your bath really brings out that lovely pattern to your hide." Hono didn't have any true imperfections. Flightless, yes, but in the jaggedness of the broken wings Fyska had been finding beauty that influenced her own work. Her hands went up to press a kiss to her dragon's snout. "Let's go, hmmm?"

YES! Let's! The green turned and called down a purple subking, who carried both her and Hers down to the Bowl. Outside was Yon, the burgundy that Fyska had danced with once upon a time. Dismounting, the pair headed over to the flirtatious drake. Tryonilth! You're not nearly so small now, but I'm sure I and Mine can still dance with you. Congratulations to you and Yours. You must be proud of him.

Fyska bowed deeply, her grin playful at the dragon. "So do I owe you a dance first? Or would C'lainn be amenable to taking a turn about the dance floor this time around? I trust your judgement, Sir Yon!" She offered a hand to his paw, quite happy with how this evening was starting out. Hono lowered her head and flicked her tail becomingly. I hope Mine isn't to get all the attention, I would be much obliged for a dance with such a handsome burgundy as well. She wasn't glowing, but Honotamth knew well enough how to flirt.
^
Raining
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Kestrel

I'm going to get held back
We are not.
Well you're not! Look at you! I am!
If you are held back MyB'oh... then I would be as well. But we are not getting held back.
You can't just order it to be so
We are Iron. We are not getting held back.
The iron snorted.

The Iron weyrling pulled at his fingers behind his back as he waited for F'dren to finish listing the names. His name was taking a long time to come up and his silent fretting to his Iron was increasing. There was even a moment where B'oh could feel a spike in Khadroth's anger, because how dare they hold them back.

And then.... “B’oh and Iron Khadroth, wingseconds of Dawn.”

Wingseconds
Wingseconds of Dawn

There was a moment in his head where there were no thoughts coming from him or his dragon, but then he could feel a proud smugness from Khadroth. B'oh on the other hand paled significantly. This wasn't just weyrling shenanigans. ALTHOUGH they were important shenanigans, this was real life and he'd be working under a REAL wingleader, working THROUGH him in a position of command. In a position of command. WHO in their RIGHT MIND would promote a kid -You are seventeen- to Wingsecond RIGHT out of weyrlinghood. Did they see him? Did they even know him? Did they watch him every day of weyrlinghood to see if he'd be a good fit??

If anything weyrling proved how much he questioned F'dren's judgement on almost everything, but only because he was afraid of the unknown, and wanted everyone to be absolutely one hundred percent okay with everything before moving on. Everyone being... himself mainly.

I'm going to throw up, or die.
We will be great. You will see. We were made for this My'Boh.
The Iron was clearly too pleased by his promotion to rebuke His' panic. Instead he fell back to what he'd been trying to do with His. Offered encouragement instead of snarling at his cowardice. B'oh fretted, but Khadroth knew that he'd be fine once his fears were pushed aside forcibly. Even if that meant putting His in an uncomfortable situation, until he gained the confidence the Iron knew was in him.

B'oh took his knots from the weyrlingmaster, opened his mouth to complain... but muttered a thanks... and offered a weak smile, before moving on. He was thinking about following his former classmate in an effort to duck out because the ideas of all his new responsibilities were crushing his soul. BUT he was clapped on the back and B'oh turned to see Scapper, and an immediate grin lit up his prior pale features. "It has to be a joke right?" he stated, nervousness in his tone, but... it didn't touch his features. Well until presents were mentioned and B'oh looked embarrassed. "N-no! I don't need tw--" he looked down at the drawstring bag he was handed, "you'd think they'd give me a heads up! But you didn't have to get me a gift Scap, you being here is present enough. I mean you being here for me, instead of all this food." He elbowed Scapper lightly. The now-Ironrider sucked in a breath and opened the bag to pull out what gift his friend got him.

"Since you got me something, I guuuuuesss I'll have to make you something else." He stated with a light tug at the scarf around Scappara's neck.

^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Beebs @Raining

The ‘dragon dining hall’ was back.

In the sense that Vespasiath had put up the decorations for the occasion in the weyrbowl, festive banners lending the winter weyrbowl some colorful cheer. He and Laanasuth’s children deserved no less. After the Weyrlingmaster’s speech to the humans inside concluded, Vespasiath stepped forward to speak to their no-less-important larger halves.

A-hem. Songspinners. Pride glowed bright and blue in his facets, sharing space with subtle sparks of green excitement. It came through his tone as well, despite his attempt at unmarred solemnity. Noble hatchlings, strong of wing and long of flame! I am not your Weyrlingmaster, but I have observed your progress as you have grown from egg to dragon. Before you even left the shell, you knew tragedy—a tragedy Laanasuth and I will never forget. But nine dragons hatched, and nine dragons stand before me today. You have weathered much and trained hard to get here. You have all become capable fighters. And you…you have all made me very proud. Pern will be for the better to have each of you defending our skies.

If dragons could cry, a single tear might have wiggled down a glossy green cheek. Baelyrth and Kalessith, I will be honored to fly with you.

Their clutchsire left them free to enjoy the festivities however they liked, though he would remain present should any wish to speak with him. But he had one he wished to speak to in particular: his largest son, who had at last outsized him, just as he had eventually outsized Halventh. Khadroth, he said to the iron, padding toward him. Like myself and my rider, you were given the responsibility of shepherding your siblings through weyrlinghood as their wingsecond. And now, you, too, find yourself on the path to leadership in our wings, as Wingsecond of Dawn. I offer you my sincere congratulations, as well as my help, should you ever find yourself seeking advice.
^
Sari
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

(W'o / Lemmy ) @Kestrel

W'o stood, silent and serious. He had no reason to doubt they were graduating, but he also felt no particular pride about having done so. Of course they would graduate, and it should be expected of them to have worked hard enough to earn their knots. With great interest he listened for his twin's placement, and that a of a few other Weyrlings that had intrigued him. When he heard his own wing, and accepted his knots, he decided that he would probably turn in for the night before too long. He wasn't expected to preform this time surely and, he wanted to be well rested when he first met his new wing. He would congratulate Fisher and go.

A familiar voice immediately cut through his plans. Despite the public nature of the the ceremony, he didn't deny Tanner, easily returning that hug, though he kept his grip light so that the much smaller girl could 'escape'. He'd figured she'd be there, but that, perhaps she would be pleased to be distracted by what friends she'd no doubt made at the Weyr. Her praise of himself and Lemasyth didn't fail to provoke a small smile from him. There was something satisfying about praise from his younger sister, even if it was for something he wouldn't have been pleased about on his own. Raising a brow, he reached out to accept the 'this', studying it as she told him all about her plans, and ultimatum, before he smiled once more.

"Every time we fight thread", he agreed, his tone making it a vow. "Though, perhaps when the weather is volatile I can wrap it and preserve it under my riding jacket?" The suggestion was offered easily, enough, sure that she would see the wisdom in this.

Outside, in the dragon dining hall, Lemasyth looked at all the lovely things that Vespasiath had used to decorate with, and listened as their father gave a speech to them. It was all quite lovely, but the little blue was not pleased or proud. No, Lemasyth was quite sad, they were all going to be separate now. He would have to fly with strange dragons that maybe wouldn't want him in their wing. Maybe their bondeds would be mean to his W'o. Pudgy tail curled around his as best as it could, the blue pressed against his W'o's mind, just to help himself remember a little more about what each wing name really meant. He was not flying with their mother of course, but not their father either, and not Baihujinth who was so nice to him, and who had a wonderful rider. No, it was a strange wing, with strange dragons, and only one brother would be with him. He would need to be a very brave Lemmy, and be happy so Tanner wouldn't worry. Maybe his new wing would have nice people and nice dragons?
^
Rii
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 12:59 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2483 Posts
4422 Marks

T’yandon watched the weyrlings - weyrlings no longer, but dragonriders - receive their knots and assignments, a small smile tugging at his thin lips as he brushed his fingers over his own new knots. Wingleader still, but of a wing completely new to him. O’sho had stepped down as wingleader of Dawn in his advanced turns, his wingseconds were not suited for leading in his place - so shuffling had to be done, and the bronzerider found himself no longer leading the wing he had been in since his arrival at Dalibor.

Dawn Wingleader. Another would take his place; it felt... a little odd. But he’d known the change was coming, and he’d been on the lookout for potential wingseconds, praises be. His choice was unusual, it was true. But he rather thought it was a good one. Rising as the new riders dispersed to enjoy their feast, he made his way to the young ironrider he’d soon be working with daily, nodding to the young man's merry friend and waiting for a pause in conversation to interject.

“Congratulations, B’oh.” His often-neutral expression was ever so slightly amused as he offered his hand. “I’m your new wingleader, T’yandon. I look forward to working with you.”

Nori applauded, happy to see a new class enter the wings. It was hard to believe sometimes that it had been several turns since she had graduated. Time just flew.

It can’t be that surprising.

Well, not surprising maybe, but it’s still a lot of time. Smiling, she started picking her way through the gathering. She didn’t see Jafari - well, he had his own class to handle, it was amazing how much her friend had achieved - and she didn’t see her brothers, and that meant she was out to make some new friends.

Halting at a table, she held out an open hand to C’lainn, her smile broadening to a cheerful grin. “Hi! I’m Nori. Norilana of burgundy Noirath. I’m in your new wing.” She tipped her head to Vune, brown eyes twinkling. “Do you mind if I borrow him for a dance? Only if you’re game for it, of course, C’lainn. I promise I won’t step on your feet.”

Their latest had made it through weyrlinghood. They could afford a mutual sigh of relief. Jali sipped from a glass of wine, savoring the bustle of people eating and talking and dancing just to celebrate the new riders in the Weyr’s wings. She was glad for a night of joy and celebration in the midst of the trouble the West so often experienced. The political upheaval of Lady Irohvyne being removed and Cambyses’s passing worried her, even if hold politics were not automatically Weyr politics. There was little they could do to change them, but they would feel the impact of it too, sooner rather than later.

You can’t dwell on it, my Jali. Let’s enjoy tonight, Laanasuth told her rider softly, before dropping down from her weyr ledge to join the dragons in the Bowl. Congratulations, she told her youngest children warmly. I am proud of you all.

PMAIM
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Raining

Though a congratulatory grin had already been fixed on Scaparra’s face, when B’oh lit up like that a the sight of him, it stretched a little wider, momentarily a little goofier. But he was quickly back on his game. “Nah, they don’t mess around with that stuff! Face it man, those knots are yours for keeps.” He tapped the ironrider’s shoulder, where they belonged. “Look on the bright side, when you’re a wingleader someday I can be your wingsecond, and kick anyone who doesn’t listen to you in the shins.”

He chuckled at B’oh’s obvious embarrassment over the present. “Hey, you started it. All I did was give you a pie.” He sighed nobly. “But, hey, if you insist.” Before the ironrider could peek into the bag, the smith swiped it back, sweeping out his arms and ducking slightly. “There you have it—my presence. Bask away.”

He straightened at the tug to his scarf, a slight smirk on his face. He wagged a hand in the air. “No, no, no, you can give me something when I do something significant.” Graduation was an important milestone, after all, and making wingsecond was a considerable achievement. Scaparra hadn’t done accomplished anything worthy of recognition, yet, though not from lack of hard work. But he would keep trying, as always. What else could you do?

He turned when a new voice joined their conversation, and a quick glance at shoulder knots made clear the man’s significance even before he introduced himself. “Wingleader,” he greeted, grinning as he saluted the older man. Scaparra gave B’oh’s shoulder a few rough pats. “You picked a good one! One’a the best guys in the weyr, I can tell you that. He won’t letcha down.” Okay, Bel might beg to differ, but even if B’oh didn’t have that kind of confidence in himself yet, Scaparra didn’t doubt it was true for a second.

Once B’oh was done with the possibly harrowing experience of meeting his new wingleader, Scaparra would make up for his teasing by tossing the bag back to his friend. Inside was not one, but two pieces, made to link together—a clasp for a coat, made out of some shiny, silver-colored metal. One was small and only lightly pattered, functional, but the larger, which would partially cover the first when linked together, took the shape of a dragon, mid-flight. Its form was a little stylized, not flush with details, but it was nonetheless elegant, cohesive. Inlaid into the dragon’s body was a river of hematite, chosen for its similarity to Khadroth’s dark shine.

“Now I’m not much of a jewelry-maker—flamethrowers, powders, and machinist-work is more my speed. So don’t laugh, alright? But I figured I’d take a crack at it. Thought maybe, since you’re a weaver and all, you might get some use out of it for a jacket or somethin’. I could always make you some buttons to match the shade, if you want.”
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 07:06 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4058 Posts
505 Marks

V'ael was about to head out to his weyr, when Baelyrth's curiosity bled through. There was humor in the Black's emotion.

I did not think dragons got so attached to those they were not bonded to.
It appeares we're wrong in such a concept, MineOwn.

V'ael rolled his eyes, snatching a skin of wine and heading outside with a meatroll stuffed in his mouth. He looked largely disinterested, Baelyrth merely glancing towards Vespasiath with a measure of intrigue. Vudicael craned his head up at the Viridian, biting off the end of the meatroll and chewing it there as he looked over the enormous-by-comparison drake that had been chosen to sire Laanasuth's clutch. Vu found it funny, that one could earn a rank simply by who they went to bed with. To'rua had dismissed the humor in his brother's tone at such a revelation, but it would never cease to be hilarious to the former Holdless.

"So," he finally offered up. "Does that mean that the others that did not spawn because you were chosen to fall with a Copper, are somehow those you are less proud of? Are you not honored to fly with them, too? Or are only those who come forth as a result of a lucky choice by a Queen on your behalf, the only ones worthy of your attention?"

Another bite to the meatroll. A flash of yellowed teeth, before Baelyrth's spined, lanky form swept up closer to His. V'ael looked over at his Black, chewing thoughtfully once more.

If this is what happens when you are bonded to me too long, you become that much a part of me, I will kill you myself. He talks like V'yeri. Both of them too long in a Hold and addled in the brain. I hope he flames as good as his tongue flaps.
He has not proven bested by many things, including Thread, yet, my Knight-V'ael.
Oh, well. Everyone has their day. Let us go. I have spent too much time already among wherry-brains and half-drunk Holdbred.

Pulling himself aboard, V'ael stuffed the rest of the meatroll between his teeth and held on with his freshly-freed hand. No longer stifled and smothered by rules and regulations, he intended to spend his free time catching up with sleep, and then spending as much time outside the Weyr as he possibly could manage without missing drills and Fall.

We have been working on your vitrol, haven't we, Mine?
The only one he truly cares for out of the entire clutch, is the only one any of them ever care for. Khadroth. Kings and Subkings are the only ones to hold rank that matters, Baelyrth, do not let them tell you differently. Xerocleth may be a Junior Weyrleader, but we will see if they listen to him. I am betting not.

As they hit the ledge, V'ael slid off before his Black had even stopped moving. By that point, he'd gotten so used to getting on and off the Fighter that it was second nature. Looping the end of his hammock in the curved hook driven into a stone boulder opposite the anchor, he kicked his boots off, uncorked the wineskin with his teeth, and slipped down into the rope sling. Baelyrth watched him, as he took another long pull off the container.

No sign of her?
She's probably avoiding you.
Good.

@Kestrel @Kiran

C'lainn was trying his best to keep a low profile. Have some wine, spend some time with his brother, escape largely unnoticed and take to intimate conversations with his pillows and furs for the evening, inspecting the interior side of his eyelids for holes.

But it appeared that wasn't to be the case. A voice sounding from somewhere behind him, migrating up beside him with an offered hand was given a look, then to the source. Female. Another woman, Rider, this one. Eyes turned to her knots. Burgundy, like his, hers less....red. More Maroon. Sometimes he wished his weren't so attention-grabbing, but Yon would not be hidden from anyone or anything.

It would figure, the most awkward man in the Weyr, the one most abhorred by company in general, regardless of gender, had attracted the most extroverted, flirtatious drake probably in existence. Perhaps Yon would have been better served with purpler skin.

Vunelio nudged his brother's shoulder, but Lainn looked away from Nori almost before she got to introducing herself. The younger of the pair sighed, pulling on his brother's braids.

"My brother is somewhat anxious about dealing with women, as I'm sure you've probably heard by this point."

Lainn toyed with his fingers, with the edge of his wineglass, with the bottle that sat beside it. He didn't appear willing to go, not until Vune all but shoved him out of his seat and towards Nori.

"Go on, dork, I'm sure she doesn't bite."

Color crept into Lainn's cheeks, and then faded off to pale relatively quickly. He pushed himself up from the seat, hovering a bit before he drained his wineglass and finally put a hand into Nori's offered one. He briefly caught her expression, sea-green eyes curious if not more than a bit apprehensive. Nevertheless, he led her towards an empty spot on the dance floor, trying to do his best to be unobtrusive and off-the-proverbial-radar. The last thing he wanted was to draw too much attention.

Vune leaned on his hands, uninterested in the wine, watching his brother. Outside, Yon offered one paw towards Fyska with a drakeish grin.

Why, of course, madam Fyska! Admittedly, I didn't expect that you'd return for a second round, given how absolutely terrible I must have been the first go-round. Mine is currently being stolen by another, it appears, so unfortunately you're stuck with me for the time being. Perhaps after we've had our spin around the Bowl, so to speak, he might be free. He looked slyly towards Hono. How does one dance between, or with, dragons? You will have to show me, my dear. I believe it's time I learned a thing or two about our own kind, and not so very much about Mine's kind, instead. I will more than save you the time for a dance, as well! Pending you're not too terribly bored to teach me?

@Kiran @Rii

He swept in like a quiet winter snow. Near-silent steps, hands behind his back, clasped with the air of a Lord Holder, though he couldn't be further from it - literally. A man who had been born without a Hold to call home, now so close to Mastery he could almost taste it. Soon. But not yet. No, there were more important matters to attend to.

"You know," he spoke up gently as long-legged strides carried him gracefully closer to her. "I do believe there was a time when I would spout off some horrible cliche about a gorgeous woman like yourself, being here in a place like this, but you're quite too good for something that droll," Armon bespoke the woman who had snared him. "I trust Laanasuth is happy to see her children all healthy, grown, and formidable members of Dalibor's wings, now?"

He offered his hand.

"But let us not have only the focus on the dragons tonight, mm? I haven't danced at one of these things with you in some time, I believe I'm overdue."

@Rii

PM
^
Raining
 Posted: Jul 9 2016, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Kestrel -- Khadroth/Vespy

Khadroth watched the festivities as he sat as straight and still as a mountain could. Not that he didn't enjoy the.. party, he was just more content to watch his siblings rather than join them. Baelryth and Tryonilth, especially. One of which was glued to his dark rider's side, and the other who seemed to dance around a human female, and her crippled bonded.

The words of his sire reached his mind and he snorted some, such fancy words. More words used than necessary, in the Iron's opinion. The beast lifted his chin as Vespasiath approached, with colored words and perhaps... not so empty words that spoke of congratulations. Thank you, Weyrleader, the Iron replied curtly. If this dragon was just a Weyrleader, maybe he'd have thought less of him... but Vespasiath and his happened to be Wingleaders as well. Thus, he had Khadroth's respect until he spoiled it, that is.

Though I do not see myself needing help.
Tell him you appreciate the offer of help nonetheless, please, Khadroth.
Why?
Its polite, and he's being polite. AND he's your sire, and weyrleader.
Not needing his help is a sign that I, one of his brood, is strong enough on my own. It's useless.
Its polite.

Khadroth looked Vespasiath over once, ...thank you for the offer... nonetheless the Iron added with a curt nod of his head.

-----------

TAG: KES again for B'oh/Scapper ALSO @Rii for T'yandon

"I think if you could handle getting bullied by Khadroth, you can handle working under him." Teased the Wingsecond-Weaver, as he used deft fingers to pry the bag open. Well... only to have it snatched from him immediately. B'oh looked far from offended as he even laughed a bit, his nerves seemed to have eased enough to allow that. "I am honored, to have been given this chance to bask. The best gift of all, probably."

B'oh sighed, "Okay. You'll get something from me when, you impress and when you graduate. I'll be waiting for both of those, I think I already have something in mind to make for your impression too." When, was a key word, it was important. B'oh believed with all his heart that Scapper would impress, it was just waiting for his soulmate to find him that was difficult. But now that B'oh was no longer a weyrling he'd... Well he wouldn't have more time, but he wouldn't be so restricted with lessons and chores and such. The rest he could maybe handle, with time to visit his friend, or even have him over.

Slightly mismatched eyes colored in a mix between curiosity and concern as he followed his friend's gaze to. B'oh's eyes instead widened in a sort of mild fear when T'yandon introduced himself. It was a good thing he didn't have a drink or he would have dropped it, or sputtered it everywhere. His mouth worked for a moment before he realized that he needed to shake his hand, "O-oh... th-than-thank you" he stammered grasping the man's hand to shake. "I u-uh look forward to working with you too. I.. I appreciate the opportunity. I won't disappoint you." B'oh's offered smile was a little weak and Scapper's "praise" didn't seem to help. If he wasn't afraid of falling over as soon as he moved he would have elbowed his friend, sharply. But Scapper was spared that.

After the formal exchange, the bag was tossed back to Bel and he fumbled it before finally depositing what was inside onto his hand. His jaw dropped some as he ran a finger over the metal. SURE it wasn't perfectly symmetrical but that wouldn't matter once it was clasped. It would have to be paired with something... perfect. It would have to be perfect. The weaver's mind was already working on how to use this piece. But before he got too lost in his thoughts he wrapped arms around Scapper, suddenly, into a tight hug. "Its perfect, thank you iloveit" he stated all very quickly before breaking the embrace... and looking a bit embarrassed by it. "Sor-sorry. I.. am. I'm already thinking up the perfect thing for it. You might be amazing with things that... explode but... " he grinned, maybe a little mischievously, "you might actually be good with accent pieces too, if you tried." He slipped the pieces back into the bag, and tied the drawstring to his belt, so he didn't lose it.

^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 13 2016, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

@Raining @RhiaBlack @Sari

The meaty squawking of non-telepathic speech burbled up at Vespasiath as he had begun to move to congratulate Khadroth. Making tongue-sounds with two-leggeds was V’yeri’s jurisdiction—the viridian shared most of his kind’s aversion to bespeaking humans directly, unless there was good reason for it.

What an odd way of looking at things yours has, that to be proud of one’s offspring excludes the possibility of pride in anyone else, he said to his serpentine son, tone light and a little perplexed. The only thing that had sparked any irritation was referring to Laanasuth’s choice as ‘luck’. Not only did it demean the many turns of hard work he and his rider had undertaken to even be considered for such an honor, but more damningly, it demeaned the gravity of the copper’s choice. Her will. A queen’s favor in her mating flight was not dolled out in accordance with the stars or passing fancy. It was a careful decision, weighted with the knowledge that whoever she chose would join her in leadership, and have a hand in charting the course for the weyr for several turns to come. Luck had no part in it. But then, perhaps that was something a human could never truly understand.

I trust you will both see that that is not the case when you fly in our wing. I look forward to seeing you at drills, Baelyrth. Do enjoy the festivities, and if you would like to talk at any time during them, I would be pleased to have your company.

Though his iron son’s words were curt, Vespasiath’s eyes nonetheless greened with lizardy pleasure, lids making thin moons of them, at Khadroth’s confidence. Good. You are ready. The words were punctuated by a proud mental chuckle. Go forth and bring more glory to our illustrious line.

He left the iron to enjoy the feast in whatever way he liked, scanning about the crowd for his other children. Which was when he spotted Lemasyth, sitting by himself, and not with the look of one who was much enjoying things at all. Vespasiath approached the blue, reclining onto his haunches beside him, and craning his head down slightly on its long neck until it reached Lemayth’s level. Is something not to your liking, young one?

-----

Scaparra countered B’oh’s sigh with a sigh of his own. “Hey, I didn’t get you anything when you impressed. Just gotta show me up, don’t you?” Happy though he was to play along, Scaparra’s youthful certainty about his own future had at last burnt up, and Bel putting time and effort into making him a gift for an occasion that may never come didn’t sit right with him. It made him feel strangely guilty, that his friend still had that kind of belief in him, that Scaparra wasn’t even sure he had anymore. It made him feel like a fraud. “Graduation’s just fine, y’know. I’d hate to see you waste your precious wingsecond time.” He smirked as he tapped the ironrider’s fresh knots. “Not that I don’t fully intend to impress. I’m just waiting on the right time, alright? Winter, eh, I dunno, winter might be no good for me, my schedule looks pretty packed. So I wouldn’t rush out and make anything just yet.”

Poor Bel. The kid’s nervousness at the unexpected introduction to his wingleader could hardly have been more obvious, as he initially struggled to get the words out. But he gained some ground once he got going. Scaparra didn’t think it was necessarily a bad thing, anyway. That he was so nervous about it showed how much he cared.

He’d certainly earned his present, after that, and Scaparra put his hands in his pockets, watching idly as B’oh opened it, as though he was only politely concerned what his friend would think of it. Ha.

Of course, Bel being Bel, he had no doubt the ironrider would show nothing but gratitude no matter what he gave him. But B’oh’s reaction left no room for doubt that he really, genuinely, loved it. Scaparra’s eyes widened in a rare look of real surprise as B’oh flung his arms around him, and it took a second for the circuits in his brain to start working again enough for him to wrap one arm around Bel and pat him on the back. But his grin, when the rider pulled away, was a bit wider than it should have been, a bit less controlled.

“Well, I guess I gotta give that to jewelry-making—I never got that reaction making a flamethrower piece before,” he couldn’t resist teasing. “Maybe I ought to think about a switch in career.” He wouldn’t actually, naturally—making stuff that looked nice was all well and good, but he didn’t find it compelling enough to be worth most of his focus, not nearly so much as working out new improvements and, maybe someday, new technology altogether. “Nah, at the end of the day, I’m a simple guy who’s only got eyes for stuff that booms, burns, and blows up.” His grin softened into a smile. “But if you ever need anything, I guess I can always make an exception for a good friend.”

He hung his forearm over B’oh’s shoulder, leaning slightly on his friend. “So, what’s your plans for the feast anyway, wingsecond? Fraternization, mastication, inebriation? You’re gonna do some dancing, aren’t ya? I’m pretty sure it’s an unspoken graduation requirement, to dance at your graduation feast,” he said, with a teasing edge to his smile.
^
Sari
 Posted: Jul 18 2016, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

(Lemmy) @Kestrel

Briefly distracted by the arrival of this mother, Lemasyth rumbled softly, mostly to himself, at her words. They were nice, even if they didn't change the situation they were in. The distraction, however, did have one matter of significance, his attention had been elsewhere, and the young blue hadn't immediately realized that his father now had his in his sights. There was no denying it as the subking drew nearer though, and the blue fidgeted, his claws shifting beneath him shyly.

Vespasiath was a wonderful dragon, he was big, strong and so clever. He was also a wingleader, and one of the weyrleaders too, a real hero. Lemmy was just Lemmy, still, as the Viridian settled near her, he couldn't help but purr a little. Was he allowed to cuddle with his father? Lemasyth knew many dragons didn't remember family, maybe he would have been the same if his W'o didn't have so much family to remember himself, but Vespasiath had went out of his way to speak to them and to celebrate their graduation. Maybe he wouldn't mind. Still... his brothers hadn't been so forward. As he considered his predicament, the words that were offered caught him off guard. Oh dear, his father perhaps thought he didn't like his work; how very sad. He couldn't just leave the older dragon to think his efforts weren't appreciated, especially since they very much were.

~I like your decorations very much~ He assured quickly, before better pacing the rest of what he could offer. ~it was nice to hear you speak too and... I understand that you helped build this place ~ The last remark he added even more softly, in tones of admiration for the older dragon's skill, to be able to make such wonderful things. There was as pause, just a hint of yellow returning to his eyes before he continued. The blue wasn't sure if he should add anything else, but maybe the other would think he was only saying these nice things, if he didn't give a reason for his melancholy. ~But.... now I will only have one brother left to fly with, and I do not know any of the Mayday dragons~
^
Rii
 Posted: Jul 26 2016, 12:35 PM
Jr. Weyrwoman

Idea Factory

2483 Posts
4422 Marks

(Ugh sorry for the late, short reply but had to get it in >.<)

Nori's smile didn't fade at C'lainn's nonanswer, any more than it did for Vune's warning of his brother's anxiety. "I've heard," of course she had, she'd caught the scuttlebutt of his problems with a weyrling while he was still a candidate and ever since Cesare she'd been extra careful to give the candidates a wide berth. That kind of rulebreaking was in her past, for more reasons than one. "But I still figured I'd come say hello. L'nor - my brother - he always says I can talk enough for two, when I try."

Her dark brown eyes met his sea-green. He was nervous of her, and she supposed she couldn't blame him. She'd earned a reputation for being available for all kinds of fun, and if he cared about such things he probably thought she was after him. Which she wasn't, thanks. Not that he was bad-looking (he wasn't), not that he was forbidden (not anymore), not even that no doubt she'd end up in someone's bed before the sevenday was out. He was patently Not Interested In That, and the thought of pursuing someone who wasn't interested was abhorrent to her. That didn't stop her from trying to be friendly. She offered him an extra smile, her white teeth flashing in a grin as they started to dance.

For all that she'd claimed to be a chatterbox, she didn't prattle through the dance. She considered what exactly she wanted to say. Icebreaker jokes ahoy! "So, what did the grape say when it got stepped on?" Waiting a beat, her eyes glinted with humor. "Nothing, it just gave a little whine!"

Jali had already been looking upon the evening with pleasure, but there was a special light in her eyes that came only when she spotted Armon's approach. She was quite willing to put her hand in his. "We are both happy, and... a little relieved, given the circumstances of the clutch," she answered quietly. "I am glad that it is now in the past." Rising from her seat, she smiled up at the smith warmly. "I would be delighted to dance. Please, lead on."

@RhiaBlack

PMAIM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil