Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

Are You Prepared?, WI 14 [Candidate Lesson]
Raining
 Posted: Jul 13 2016, 01:12 PM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks
Member Inventory: View

(THIS LESSON, is actually over the course of the time Keth's eggs are warming on the Sands. SO you can respond to all of it, or you can pick and choose. Your Candidate can ask questions/comment at any point, and I will get in there and have him respond. Like always Posting isn't mandatory, but its always good to have posts for Hatchrunners to fall back on if need be ;))

It was as soon as Keth rose that Al'dr had focused lessons, and they were mandatory. They were slow building at first, but the more egg heavy Keth looked, and as soon as her eggs were laid, all lessons were increased. He knew there were a couple of candidates that preferred to do their craft stuff over lessons, and he knew that with some... it was because they've been around the block a few times and these lessons weren't new. Chores were generally put on hold as a looming Dragon Hatching and preparing those candidates was pretty important.

As new Candidates filed in, he caught them up on rules and various things they may have missed. He also had each of the newer candidates fitted for robes as soon as there was available time, as well as armor. All in all Al'dr was definitely over-working, but he didn't mind. He wanted each of his Candidates new and old, to be prepared.

Over the course of the season he went over things they would need to be prepared for as soon as Impression was made, and the hatching leading up to that. He especially (for obvious reasons) focused on what to expect at a hatching.

"Now we don't know what to expect out of these eggs as Keth's chosen suitor was a little unusual. But like some of you, I heard that a Blue sired a King from his pairing with the youngest Gold. So, we may see a small variety of colors, just in case some of you were worried about not seeing any ranking colors. I've also seen a Blue sire two viridians from a Tan clutch so... " he shrugged. "We can only speculate at this point."

First aid was gone over, for people and for dragons, but he only touched the surface of the latter, due to weyrlings go into more depth. Taking care of themselves was important too. He even invited a Healer or two to go over finer details and assist with those lessons. "For those of you who are determined to Stand until the hatching is over, even if you've been bitten, scratched or trampled. I've seen the Master Healer send his flit and drop bandages on those who've been injured. So you'll need to be aware of what to do, or how to handle these injuries as they come. I know we have armor, and it has decreased the injuries received tenfold... but if you are bleeding and it isn't stopping. Please, please don't remain on the Sands and bleed out. If you need to bow out, you can. Just, if you're able to, and if it is safe to do so bow to the Clutching female, in this case its Keth... and pull back to the Healers."

Al'dr even had them on Fortath's back, with himself of course... and only if the Candidates wished to be there. He wasn't going to force them. If some of them were brave, he'd take them between, not far... just in case some didn't like the sensation so they were close enough to fly back with ease. On the topic of dragons, he went over anatomy, proper oiling and bathing procedures (so they were prepared).

"I'm not going to lie. The first month or so, is very difficult. Ah.. but I guess its different for everybody as not one dragonet is the same as another. Impression is overwhelming, but it could feel absolutely euphoric. With me it was like something clicked into place and I didn't have to keep looking for what I wanted to do, because this blue lump helped me find it. I imagine for others the Bond is confusing, intimidating... and when you're used to only your thoughts in your head... you may feel like you will never have a moment's peace. That stresses some people out, but don't be quiet about it. Let your weyrlingmaster know, and they'll help you work through it."

"For the Hatching itself. It... I've seen both calm and chaotic hatchings. I've seen things that i'd rather not witness again... but this was all before we even had armor. Dragonets are unpredictable, until you watch them... sometimes you can see what they plan to do before they do it. Its all in their body language, because they certainly won't tell you they're going to run you down, or start a fight right next to you. For those who know animals, dragons have similar body language, despite being more self-aware and intelligent. So a lash of a tail, baring their teeth, and hissing are good indicators of an angry baby. The eyes are a key point too. You will see a ton of color as its a very confusing time for them too, they feel everything. All your emotions are practically invading their minds as they try and find Theirs. But some can focus beyond that and you will not see what the room is feeling, but what they are. Green, blue, and yellow... are ones you don't need to worry too much about. But when yellow bleeds into orange... and red, be aware that the dragonet is not happy with something." His eyes swept over the gathered Candidates. "This is why i've had you sit in silence while Fortath watched each of you, why I had him mentally indicate to you if you weren't as calm as i'd like you to be. Because I would like you to go onto those Sands, with your robes and armor, with a clear calm head. It helps the dragons make their choice, and they won't be as put off by anger, sadness and fear."

"Now... for those who have been Standing for a bit, or those who have experienced hatchings before. If you'd like to share your experiences with the rest, you're free to take the floor now. I'll also share some of my experiences too, but I've been rambling at you for days now. I'm sure what I have to say is no longer interesting," shrugged the Candidatemaster with a bit of a smirk.

Near the end of it all, some time before the eggs hatched... he even tested them. Scrawled on a hide, handed out to each of them at random there were questions. Some were personal, others were scenario based.

THE QUESTIONS:
Spoiler (Show/Hide)

You may reply to all of them, or just one. OR NONE. Although Al'dr will frown at you if you don't wish to partake.

1. A dragonet is on a rampage, whether or not its because they haven't found Theirs or something is happening beside or behind you... They intend to clear a path through you all. What will you do? Or if you've experienced this before, explain how you handled it.

2. One of your fellow candidates are trying to get your attention, and not so subtly either. They clearly want to talk about what is happening before you. Do you humor them?

3. As soon as you are summoned to the Sands, please walk me through what is expected of you.

4 a. As soon as you step out on to those Sands, what do you do?
--------b) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?

5. A dragonet is struggling to get out of their egg, their Mother has made no move to assist them. But their cries are hard to listen to. What is your reaction?

6. Your friend, or co-candidate forgot their armor. A dragonet notices this difference and takes advantage, which leaves them injured. They, although determined to stand, are bleeding steadily. What do you do?

7. Should you try and engage the dragonets, even if they seem friendly?

8. If you have any concerns, or questions that you don't want to say or ask in front of everyone. Feel free to jot them down here. No one else will see these hides, but me. Remember... my door is always open, don't hesitate to pop in if you need anything.

BONUS: Fortath... wants to know your thoughts and feelings on him. He forced me to write this, don't judge me.

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Kestrel
 Posted: Jul 13 2016, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Mandatory. That meant no slipping out for craft work, a run, or anything more active than sitting in a room while the Candidatemaster went over things Scaparra already knew. He drummed his fingers on the desk, watching Al’dr go on with a blasé expression that masked the fact that he actually was paying attention. Sure, it was review, but it never hurt to get a refresher course. Bianca wiggled where she sat on Scaparra’s shoulder, faceted flit eyes bouncing between Al’dr, Scaparra, and occasionally the other candidates. She chirped as a hide was passed to Scaparra, hunkering eagerly down on his neck and leaning over to watch as he read it. He scanned it over, considered it for about five seconds, then began scrawling out his answers.

1. Move. Sideways-like.

2. Not enough information. Which candidate?

3. A) Don’t show up naked, wear the dress even if it looks stupid. Armor too. B) Leave your pets at home, unless you don’t like them very much. C) Get to the sands ASAP, preferably without knocking over all the other kids doing the same thing. Nobody likes that guy. D) Don’t take a nap, and maybe try not to die.

4. A) Step one: bow, Step 2: join the dudes, Step 3: think happy thoughts.
B) Weyrwomen > Clutchmom and babysitter’s riders > You, probably > Other important people > Rational thought.

5. Stare judgmentally at Mom. If the babysitter intervenes and she doesn't, she’s probably just the worst mom on Pern. If the babysitter also doesn’t intervene, they’re probably both the worst moms on Pern.

Or they know something we don’t.

6. Bianca’ll flag a healer. I hear the infirmary-side view of the sands is lovely.

7. All poker invitations should be held for post-impression.

8. What’s the best way to get flash powder stains out of a white shirt? Asking for a friend.

Bonus: He’s cool in my book.

“Aaaand done.”

Scaparra handed his page of scribbles to the Candidatemaster, and was going to turn to leave—but Al’dr had asked the longer-standing candidates to pass on some words of wisdom to the rookies, hadn’t he? Well, shards. Scaparra supposed that included him. So with a slight sigh, he walked back to take ‘the floor’ as the Candidatemaster had indicated, scratching at the back of his neck.

“Alright, well, I been to a few of these things now and I ain’t selfish, so I suppose I can scrounge up some advice for you guys. First thing you should know: those round things you’ll see? Those're the eggs. Yep. That’s where all the baby dragons’ll come busting out, and not all of ‘em will be so happy about it. I know hatchings are exciting and all, but don’t be the one who forgets their armor. Someone always does. Nobody wants to see your blood, guys—keep it to yourself.”

“That said, don’t freak out too bad if one of them knocks you over or something. Most of them aren’t actually out for the kill, they’re just clumsy, and if you got your armor on, usually you can just stand back up and the show goes on. Other thing I can say is, don’t get your hopes up too high if one comes over and takes a good look at you. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes they just sneeze in your face and go on their merry way. It’s normal. Aaand…nope, that’s actually all I got. Good luck guys.”
^
Phryne
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Calina eyed the hide with both curiosity and minor irritation. She'd only been at the weyr for a short time, and the changes were kind of overwhelming: the loss of her adoptive mother, moving from Southern to Dalibor, and now Candidacy. With a mental shrug and a sigh, she rationalized that at least being a Candidate meant she knew where she was supposed to be and what she was supposed to be doing... all the time... every minute of every day...

She shook off the thought and read the questions, answering as best she could. Hopefully the rules here weren't terribly different from hatchings at Southern. She'd been to enough of those to have a pretty good idea what was expected, and they were all similar enough anyway, right?

CODE
1. A dragonet is on a rampage, whether or not its because they haven't found Theirs or something is happening beside or behind you... They intend to clear a path through you all. What will you do? Or if you've experienced this before, explain how you handled it.

Step aside and stay out of the way.

CODE
2. One of your fellow candidates are trying to get your attention, and not so subtly either. They clearly want to talk about what is happening before you. Do you humor them?

On the Sands? No. I ignore them and step away so I can concentrate on the hatching.

CODE
3. As soon as you are summoned to the Sands, please walk me through what is expected of you.

Get on the robe and line up, wait for instructions
^ and armor

CODE
Line up and think happy thoughts.
--------
CODE
b) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?
The candidate master, the dam, the weyrleaders

CODE
5. A dragonet is struggling to get out of their egg, their Mother has made no move to assist them. But their cries are hard to listen to. What is your reaction?
See if the dam moves to help, I guess?

CODE
6. Your friend, or co-candidate forgot their armor. A dragonet notices this difference and takes advantage, which leaves them injured. They, although determined to stand, are bleeding steadily. What do you do?
If they're bleeding heavily, send them to the Healers.

CODE
No?

CODE
8. If you have any concerns, or questions that you don't want to say or ask in front of everyone. Feel free to jot them down here. No one else will see these hides, but me. Remember... my door is always open, don't hesitate to pop in if you need anything.

CODE
BONUS: Fortath... wants to know your thoughts and feelings on him. He forced me to write this, don't judge me.
He's a nice blue, I guess, I don't really know him.

Callie shrugged and turned in the hide, then noticed as she was walking back to sit down that one of the other Candidates was speaking. With all the boredom and condescension of a 15-turn old daughter of a rider and past witness of hatchings at Southern, she rolled her eyes. "Of course those are eggs. What else are dragons supposed to hatch out of?" She shook her head and sat down with a snort. Why was everyone here trying so hard to scare the Candidates? Hatchings were, well, boring for anyone who didn't Impress. The dragons just kind of bumbled around on the Sands and the Candidates avoided getting trampled. What was the big deal?
^
Lark
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

While some candidates looked at the pieces of hide as if they had been sentenced to a life of scribe-work and answering pointless questions, Amarylia was looking at it like it was a life line. Questions like this she could do. It didn't involve her having to push herself forward and speak to an audience of peers, swallowing any discomfort or fear she felt at the judgement she believed they'd place on her. It didn't mean a lesson that would be made into some physical, group activity. What it was, involved thought, strategy, common sense, and honesty.

She gave a breathy sigh of relief as her fingertips brushed against the smooth surface of the hide and looked at the questions that had been given. Each was its own little examination of who the candidate was, how they thought, how they felt. Really, it was quite clever of the candidatemaster. A huff of air blew the girl's orange locks away from her eyes as she settled her non-dominant hand against her cheek and considered her answers carefully. There was a burning need within Ryli to make sure that she answered these to the fullest of her ability. Not just a simple line of words that were meant to get her out of here, but something that really let the candidatemaster know that she understood the levity of the situation she had agreed to.

Her gaze lingered on the first question in particular. She had watched hatchings before instead of been on the sands, but that did not mean she was without some experience. Amarylia could remember times when dragonets had hurt candidates, especially on accident. She could remember the made dash for safety when one seemed to stumble or run in a candidate's direction. A thoughtful expression dominated her features as she tugged on her bottom lip gently with her teeth, nibbling at it in her attention to what she was doing mentally more than physically.

--- I would try and figure out which direction the were heading, and then go to the side to try and avoid it. I haven't been in that kind of situation before, but I remember seeing things like it. One candidate even ducked and rolled when it was too last minute to fully dodge to the side. They made sure that their body was curled inward to help protect the more vulnerable points as well, just in case they couldn't get away far enough.

Satisfied that she had gotten her answer down to the exact wording she wanted, the redhead slipped her gaze down to the next. It was a classic question regarding the rules that they all knew. This one primarily trying to figure out if the candidate was likely to break regulations or not, how easily tempted they may become. Even if Ryli hadn't been able to reason that out however, she knew herself well enough to know that she wouldn't be one to speak up anyhow. At least not during an event like a hatching where she was already going to be entirely focused on the hatchlings.

--- No. I think this is a question to figure out if we're likely to break rules or not, but I'm being honest when I say I wouldn't. Not unless it was something extremely important. I'm not one to make idle chat anyway. Although, I could see myself maybe trying to warn someone of a dragonet coming their way if they don't seem to see it. That's really it thought, I'd try and non-verbally communicate instead. A smile, a nod or shake of my head, that sort of thing.

Oh boy, and here it had begun to get more involved. Amarylia closed her eyes as she tried to visualize the past hatchings she had been to. Her mind fervently was turning each memory over and over again as if it were an image she could look at from another angle. Maybe if she moved it just so...ah, yes. She could see herself going through the motions now. Opening her eyes once more the redhead picked up her writing piece again and begin to sweep it across the hide in reply with the fluid motions of someone who had practiced their script until they were certain it was perfected to their taste.

--- The first thing I would do is get ready, making sure that the armor is on under my robe, and that I'm heading to the cavern with the other girls. Once there I would greet the clutchmother, and any dragons attending her and her rider, as would be expected before moving on to standing quietly and patiently. My mind hopefully will be able to stay on open and gentle thoughts, although given it'll be my first clutch standing I'm sure there will be excitement and even some worry thrown in. I don't think I'll be able to keep that entirely from my mind as much as I would like to try.

For a moment, Amarylia had to blink and reread the question she was on. Her gaze lingered on it in mild confusion before returning to the question above it. Another time was embarked upon where she read through both questions slower. Ah. Yes. Once the slight difference, and thus her mistake beforehand, was seen she couldn't help the almost satisfied grin that tugged at her lips. It had been so small, but one question had been talking about before she had reached the sands, while the other was asking about what to do when she was already there. Or, to be exact, what she was to do from the moment she actually stepped onto them.

-------- B ) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?

--- My apologies for not realizing I had answered both questions in my previous response, but the first part of this one can be found in my last couple of lines. I'll reiterate here that I am to greet the dragons and riders present with the necessary courtesy expected. Then, I would stand with the other girls present and try and keep my thoughts clear and calm as I waited for the eggs to begin hatching. As for the chain of command, I'll list them from who has the most authority to the least when it comes to commanding my attention. The Weyrwomen, the rider of the clutch's mother and the mother herself, any attendants the dragon and rider may have, the candidatemaster and assistants of course, the weyrlingmaster as well -especially if I have impressed- as well as any older candidates who may be trying to help pass around orders the aforementioned people gave, and then myself and others around me last who may be trying to either give rational options or telling me to move out of the way of a hatchling I don't see.

Okay, so that one had sort of made her hand cramp up. Shaking out the appendage with fingers flailing as she looked at the paper with narrowed eyes of accusation, Amarylia took another deep breath that turned into a sigh. Maybe she could understand why other candidates had ran straight through this after all. In the time it had taken her to answer the four she had, others had already finished. Her head perked up at the sound of a candidate -one who seemed like he had seen other hatchings before- stopping and speaking out to the rest of the class.

She noted his words, and then she visibly shrank as her roommate spoke up with affront to the idea that the others could not tell that the eggs were where dragons came from. Sure, she may have agreed with how the statement had been somewhat crass and uncalled for, but Ryli wasn't the sort to try and cause a scene over it. Instead she found herself sinking down in her seat as she tried to avoid the possibility someone would place Calina as her roommate. Only then did she return her gaze to the paper and continue answering, this time a bit more quickly than before.

--- My reaction is to feel worry, pity, or even fear for the hatchling, but not to do anything physically. I can only watch and see nature take its course and hope that the clutch's mother, father, or any attendants allowed or placed on the sands can help. Or, perhaps one of its clutchmates should it be lucky that way as well.

It was the next question that stopped her dead in her proverbial tracks. Instantly the candidate was split between what her heart was telling her to do and what her mind knew was the right answer. They had been told what to do, and yet Amarylia had to swallow down the knowledge that her first instinct would be to worry for the person in question instead of simply turn her gaze away. It took a long moment before she finally answered as honestly as she could.

--- I won't lie. If it were someone I cared deeply for I would be tempted to help them. Even if they weren't, I still would be, but I know that we're not supposed to. Our attention has to be on the eggs, and so I know that though I may start to go towards them, I'd stop. I'd perhaps hate myself for it, but all I can say that I could do for them is to try and get a healer's attention. I have no firelizard to send to them, but my voice can carry as far as it needs to. I think if it were right next to me and severe enough though, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from trying to help in whatever way I could while a healer got there. Again, I know it's not what we're supposed to do, but the idea of allowing someone to go by hurt like that when they're right at my feet...I just don't know if being strong in that case would be ignoring it still and doing what I was told to do, or to go against those orders and try to save their life.

With only two questions left, as well as the bonus, Amarylia found herself blinking back a soft haze at the corners of her vision. Something was making her line of sight blurry, and it was only when she moved her hand to rub at her eye did she realize they had teared up with a fine layer of liquid making them sting. Apparently the war within herself on what to do was not just in her own mind or on the paper, but on her face as well. She glanced towards the candidatemaster's dragon with a soft sigh before closing her eyes and focusing on calming herself, breathing in steadily and out once more as she thought of better things. Anything that would take her mind off of the previous question and the reality she had faced answering it. Only when she was sure that she was okay to continue did she re-dip her quill into the ink once more and keep going.

--- I'm not quite sure what you mean by engage here to be honest. If you mean try and calmly talk to them to try and get them to see that you're open and supportive, then perhaps? If they seem upset and angry, then I'm really not sure. I don't think I'd be the sort to do so, but sometimes things happen in the midst of events that you don't plan. I don't know if I can really answer this question accurately, and I'm sorry for that.

Ryli hated that she hadn't had an answer that she was satisfied with for the previous question, but the end of the hide was already meeting her gaze, and no amount of small writing could keep her from running out of space. She'd have to start choosing her words more carefully, but that was alright. The weaver wanted to be done with this by now. In a way, she was relieved when the last question turned out to be more of a free space to write in her own curiosities or worries. There was one thing she did want to write however, the still fresh and anxious memory burning at her mind.

--- I may stop in to ask you more about the previous question regarding candidate injuries, and maybe about engaging dragonets too. I don't like talking in front of large groups like this, but I want to figure out what I really should do, and how I really feel about this. It bothered me a lot realizing my own actions while working through my responses to some of these questions, mostly because what I know I should do and what my heart tells me to do doesn't always line up.

By the time she got to the bonus questions, Amarylia couldn't help the small giggle that bubbled up from inside her. A hand flew up quickly to try and cover her mouth and muffle the sound, but her eyes glittered with emotion and her lips pulled int a grin.

--- He seems nice. I like him. Maybe I can tell that to him myself if I come in to meet you though.

With that she sighed in relief and moved her free hand through her hair to try and keep her nerves calm again. She forced her hands not to shake as she gave the paper away, but Ryli also knew that it could make her seem stiff with the effort. Maybe after her first hatching she'd feel more comfortable with this all, and in time she'd get better with everything? Or, maybe she would always stay a bit shy and reserved, a bit emotional on the inside while forever refusing to fully show it outwardly? She wasn't sure, but she did know she wasn't about to show anyone else that the answers she had put so much effort into bothered her. Instead she put on a small smile and dipped her head slightly as she withdrew her hand, tucking it in against the strap of her bag as she walked out the door.

^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 08:39 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

Vunelio was, and had been, considering dropping the program. He had only 2 seasons left after this one, and didn't expect that there would be another Dragon hatching between Winter and Summer. The only saving grace would be, if there were eggs already hardening on the Sands by the time his life clicked over to twenty-one. It was hard to think about, sometimes; that almost every sibling in his family but him, either had a wher or a dragon. Whers, mostly, but Vune wasn't so sure he was of the mind to Stand for whers. They were nocturnal, and Vune was - always would be - a child of the sun.

Colors didn't matter for a man almost sure he wasn't ending up with anything. His brother had gotten a Burgundy, and the only ranking colors in his family seemed to come from Whers. He wasn't even that sure he wanted a King or SubKing; those came with chasing, females came with being chased. Sex as a whole was a languid affair for a man who had no interest in it, at least not for the time being. Having seen what it did to his brother, he had little desire to tie himself up in potentially complicated relationships on account of his dragon choosing to chase a Queen.

"I don't think people will care, as long as they don't turn out dud or someone here is some ridiculous murderer bent on stabbing eggs like Laanasuth's. Obviously all the Queens of Pern will now suddenly figure out that Fighters are the best choice for suitor, so how do we not know that suddenly the roles will be reversed? There will be no Kings or Sub-Kings, only drakes? Everyone lumped into one class, since there's now a Greenrider as Wingleader?"

His father, a traditionalist by nature, would be rolling in his bed at the prospect of how insane things had become at the Weyrs. How much they were probably going to change, over the course of several turns from now. Vune sincerely hoped he wasn't there when the world went to shards. It already seemed to be on a one-way caravan that way, though he didn't particularly care either way. If a Queen wished to pick a Fighter and run the gauntlet for a potential of healthy, sound eggs and not a clutch full of cannon fodder, who was he to judge? He found the thought too much to stomach, and promptly distracted himself elsewhere. It was a fight and argument for men much more invested than he was.

He listened with a measure of lackluster attention, sighing faintly before pulling the hide across and scrawling out the responses to asked questions. It seemed second nature for the Fisher; part of his experiences were based on Standing in the past, the rest were from what he'd witnessed in weyrlinghood with his elder brother.

Lessons dictate that we are supposed to step out of the way. Do not intervene, do not draw attention, etc., however I believe if they intend to harm us, they will harm us. I have run into only one other Hatching where I was assaulted by a Red, but the damage was small and insignificant.

No, beyond a whisper to remind them that we aren't supposed to talk.

Change into Candidate robes and sandals. Apply armor, if mandatory. Proceed to the Sands, bow to the Clutchmother, and proceed to the area for one's respective gender (either boys or girls side). Remain quiet, think good thoughts or remain neutral, do not make any sudden movements or movements in general that may draw attention to you or those around you. Upon Impression, go with your dragonet to the feeding area, and wait for instructions while feeding it. If you do not Impress, wait until dismissed by the Clutchmother or the Candidatemaster, and return to the Barracks to change.

--------B) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?

Covered in prior answer. B.) Clutchmother, Candidatemaster, other Leadership.

Remain where you are, do not move to assist unless specifically asked for by the Hatchling or Clutchmother. Think positive thoughts, or nothing at all. Do not speak or make unnecessary noise.

Remain where you are, do not speak, do not attempt to help them; there are Healers in reach of the Sands if necessary.

No. This is disrespectful to the Dragonet, the Clutchmother, and the rest of the clutch. It could confuse other dragonets or start a bad situation if one of them IS yours, and gets jealous. Or something. I don't know, babies are confusing.

I'm not so sure I'm cut out for this. I have two seasons left to Stand, and have contemplated stepping down from the program to become strictly a crafter for the Weyr, as we seem to not have a whole lot of Fishercrafters here.
I am also concerned about getting a dragon that may force me into Flightlust. I know that other Candidatemasters - and Riders, too - have said that a dragon will not Rise or Chase unless I'm ready...pending there's even a dragon here for me, which I don't believe there is...but is it true? I would also like to resign from the Wher program. I don't believe that a wher will fit me, as the ocean is much more dangerous at night.

Fortath is lovely. He should talk more. Who is his favorite dragon-friend? Does he like fish? Or seashells? If I made him something, would he like it?

Kyzekeidon was worried. Hatchings made the boy nervous, they had ever since he'd attended his first one at Fort, and witnessed a Candidate killed by a Green. He hadn't told his father, but the prospect concerned him all the same. Ky didn't expect to Impress terribly soon; his mother had said that his father hadn't Impressed until nineteen, and she herself didn't get her Red until she was eighteen turns. He was only eleven.

His fingers worked quietly over the lengths of Jubilee's back, though his attention was rapt on Al'dr. He had to be prepared. That's what his Dad would want, right? Wasn't it? Jubilee squeaked softly, before running up Hers' arm and settling around his neck. Ky snickered a little bit, muffled by his hand, but did his best not to be a distraction.

When Al'dr passed out the hides, he read them over curiously, and with a speed that tended to leave other children his age in the dust. Intelligence wasn't lacking with this one, clearly, and he plucked the quillpen from beside him. Careful, practiced font etched out across the hide, beneath Al'dr's own handwriting. Which Ky thought could use a little bit of work, but he wasn't about to nitpick his own Candidatemaster.

The first question. The very first question, and Ky froze for a moment, fingers working against the writing utensil in his long fingers. He looked at them, rested his chin on his hand for a moment, only for Jubilee to hop down and wriggle until he lifted his head and let her hide underneath his palm. Not that she wasn't already too big to do so, but YOU try telling a Stoat that.

He sighed, biting the inside of his lower lip.

There was a candidate at Fort, who was killed at my very first Hatching by a Green. It was very bad. A lot of people were hurt, and he was killed, but they told us not to stand there for the babies to hurt us. We could move. Is this the same thing here? Is it okay to move here, too?

I would tell them to be quiet. We are supposed to not talk.

Dress in the white robe and sandals, go to the Sands.

--------B) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?
Bow to the clutchmother, thank her for letting me Stand, and go to the boy's side. The Candidatemaster?

We are not allowed to touch the eggs. Especially since Laanasuth's eggs were killed. Even if the Hatchling asks, we have to ask the Clutchmother first.

Try and help them to the Healers, if they can't walk. If they can, just tell them to go. If their dragon is there, it will find them.

No. We don't talk to them unless they have questions for us, but I have never had any ask me anything.

Kyzekeidon didn't write anything in the slot.

Would Fortath mind if I stayed with him instead of being on the Sands?

PM
^
Mopsy93
 Posted: Jul 17 2016, 12:38 AM
Pridesecond

1337 Posts
1709 Marks

This wasn’t the first time she had been a Candidate when there was a clutch on the sands, actually the third but the first time didn’t count for that much considering what preceded immediately before she was Searched, so she was used to a heavy amount of lessons for Candidates. It was rather standard with information on how to get first-aid while still on the sands and some basic Dragonet first-aid as well as care for a Dragonet if they did Impress. After the lesson had finished the thirteen turn old found herself writing down questions to a series of question that would be relevant to what would be possibly coming in the Hatching ahead.

1. If the Dragonet is heading towards you, move as far as safely possible without disrupting the line out of the way of the Dragonet.

2. Ignore them as best you can and focus on the Hatching unless it is something important but don’t reply back let alone strike up a conversation if not absolutely necessary.

3. First get robes and armor on, second make sure that any pets don’t follow you onto the sands especially the paranoid ones, and third make sure to listen to any additional instructions before heading out.

4. Bow to the clutchmother, any Dragons attending her, and the their riders before going back into the line of Candidates already on the sands. The chain of command is the Weyrwomen, the clutchmother and her rider, the dragons attending the clutchmother and their riders, the Candidatemaster and assistants, and the Weyrlingmaster if I Impress.
5. Try not to get shaken up about it for the sake of the other less distressed Dragonets, though it would probably cause me distress, and only intervene in the rare event of the mother or the Dragonet themselves explicitly ask/tell me to and even then with extreme caution.

6. Bring attention to the Healers of the injured Candidate if the Candidate hasn’t already done so, whether verbally or through firelizards, but otherwise keep my attention on the Dragonets and eggs regardless of what’s going on around me.

7. No, though can be disrespectful towards the Dragonet, the clutchmother, and the rest of the clutch and even with being able to read body language as well as seeing the eye colours you can’t being entirely sure what the Dragonet is thinking.

8. Nothing to ask at this time.

Bonus: Fortath is a nice Dragon from what I can tell though my experience with them is limited.

Kiveena honestly hoped that what she had written down was a satisfactory answer for Al’dr especially since she didn’t completely know how much or how little the others had written for their answers. Some were easier to answer than others, especially question number five and to a more limited extent six since having a Dragonet in distress over being unable to get out of their shell which could be distressing at any time especially with recent events and a Queen clutch on the way. Having an injured Candidate refusing to leave the sands until they either Impressed, their injuries proved too much to attend to alone, or the Hatching ended could also cause a lot of worry but there were more options dealing with it both for the Candidate and the others around them.

Keeping Shiff off of the sands during a Hatching was a real problem she had faced in the past Hatching (more specifically her second Hatching) though she was embarrassed about the Blue’s attitude which was to suspect everything including ordinary things. Just having him on the sands with a bunch of Dragonets that weren’t terribly interested in attempting to make a meal out of him, attack him for other reasons than food, or a Queen that would take offense to his presence could possibly cause major problems with Shiff’s paranoia. Not to mention what that would do to her reputation seeing as she didn’t manage in the end to keep him out of trouble when it’s ultimate responsibility to.

PM
^
Kisha-Ra
 Posted: Jul 18 2016, 05:06 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Handler fiddled with her overlong sleeves as she listened solemnly to Al’dr (all of Handler’s garments seemed be growing longer sleeves of late), and thought to herself. Dragons would emerge from the eggs, and did it matter what colours they were really? Well probably to anyone who was really hoping to continue a family tradition of being a bronzerider or some such, or people who were ambitious. They probably needed comforting that it was okay to stand for this clutch, that ranking dragons could be sired by their ‘lesser’ brethren. The only traditions Handler’s family had were having far too many children and giving them all sharding stupid names, so Handler had no worries on that score, and as for ambition… well any dragon would be great.

Flying with Fortath was great fun for Handler, who’d not had many rides from dragons in her life. She even remembered to put her boots on on flying days. Although they never felt quite right on her feet it got so cold up in the skies that she was worried she might lose a toe without them. Between was the weirdest sensation, a place where nothing outside of your skin seemed to exist, but Handler had been through there once before on her way to the Weyr so it wasn’t a shock to her. It was a sensation of limited duration, to learn to manage, dragonriders had to travel that way day in and day out, so she needed to be able to as well.

Urgh, a test. Handler eyed the paper with suspicion and folded her sleeves back purposefully taking up a graphite stick with an air of determination. These questions were hard, and possibly tricks designed to make people reveal things about their personality. Handler shrugged, her personality was no secret from the world so she’d just answer. The words formed carefully under her hand, mirrored by little twitches of her resting left hand as she wrote. Finally after much starting into space it was done.

1. Move aside; try not to walk into anyone.

2. No. Ignore them, it’s rude to chatter on the sands, and it might take my attention from something important.

1- Get ready. Don’t forget anything like boots, or bits of armour. Check fastenings too.
2- Go to the hatching cavern and line up to enter in an orderly manner.
3- Any additional instructions given by candidatemaster.

4a.
1- Walk in sensibly. Don’t run or push.
2- Bow to the clutchmother, that’s Keth in this case.(Some people have compliments and things to say, but I don’t seem to be able to think of things like that.)
3- Line up with the other girls.
4- Clear your mind, be positive, don’t fidget, all that other stuff you’ve been telling us. Really it depends on what happens with the hatching.

4b. Weyrwomen, clutchmother/her rider, candidatemaster, other people with the right to command me. (That means weyrleaders and such, not the lady who assigns my kitchen chores, although if she’s on the sands, something is wrong.)

5. I will certainly worry, I will probably move, but in the end I will be reduced of glaring at the mother and hating myself for not going to help. Keth seems alright though; I don’t think she’d leave a baby trapped unless she had some strange reason.

6. Promise myself I’ll clip them around the ear for not wearing all their armour once the hatching’s done. I’d want to stay as long as I could, too, so I have to respect other people’s decision to do the same, so get Wher to tell a healer so they can be seen to as soon as possible, maybe have her bring in some bandages if she won’t get eaten. Hiss any first aid advice I have if they’re near enough.

7. If a dragon wants to touch you or speak to you they will. If they need something I guess they’ll ask (although I doubt I have anything they need). So generally no.

8. Will this test count towards our final score somehow?

Bonus: I like him, but he’s cheeky.

Handler had only attended two hatchings so far, and Laanasuth’s had been… unusual to say the least, or the events leading up to it had, the actual hatching had been okay. The new candidates wouldn’t want to hear of that though. She’d let the others talk if they had things to say. One day she might be the candidate who’d been around so many turns they felt jaded, she secretly hoped not, with so many Impressed siblings preceding her.
^
Lee
 Posted: Jul 22 2016, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

Although by all rights it was cheating, the twins casually passed their hides back and forth, changing their answers with a few strokes of the quill, answering at random. There was, in the end, an answer to each question, by each hand, but getting to the root of which twin had written what would take some applied effort.

Jemi
Die, probably.

Kolbi
Prepare to heroically and dramatically sacrifice myself for the greater good of Pern, and then at the last minute, point behind them and gasp, and hope that they look the other way, and then shove Jemi in my place. Where he will die, probably.

Both:
Why would we want to talk to them? No.

Jemi:
Stop what we’re doing and return to the barracks, put on armor and candidate robes, head to the Sands, Bow respectfully to clutchmother and the sandsmother, think positive thoughts, don’t break the rules, hope you Impress a dragon.

Kolbi:
I’m pretty sure you should have fairly low expectations of us by now.

4b) What is the chain of command? Who do you listen to FIRST?
Jemi
Listen to your HEART

Kolbi
Jemi. And then whoever is yelling the loudest. Is it whomever? In Jemi’s handwriting It’s whoever.

Jemi
Weep for their valiant struggle. Plead with Faranth and the first golden shell to free them from their oblong cage, shake a fist in despair at the sky—hatch cavern ceiling.

Kolbi:
Cover my ears? Can you do that mentally?

Jemi
Tell Kolbi to stop laughing.

Kolbi:
Laugh, probably.

Jemi
No.

Kolbi:
Jemi says no.

Jemi
Is it worth it?

Kolbi:
Do you know why the caged whersport sings?

Turned in separately, in both handwritings
Fortie, yeah Fortie, blue as blue can be
Makes a look like yo, how many ladies can I make fall for me?
The answer is Fortie stand tall, ‘cause they’re all gonna call
For this medium hued cutie pullin’ them in thrall
Yeah he’s got the humor, the looks, and deep thoughts
Never stoops to the rumors, try to be a dragon he’s not
And if you misbehave, you’re gonna get caught
‘Cause he’s candidatemaster (yo) and he knows you’re gonna plot
Stir the pit, pull tempers taught, avoid what doin’ what you ought
He’s the F-O-R-T-A to the ‘th
Sendin’ us troublemakers down the right path
FORTIE FOR WEYRLEADER.
<3

^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates