April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

A Shining Gift from the South, SP:17 {OPEN ALL}
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 03:48 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3273 Posts
300 Marks
Member Inventory: View

A Yellow dragon came from between above Dalibor, the soft song of her voice filtering down through the winds to the expanse of desolate dusty Bowl below. It's less green here she remarked, and her Rider gave her neck a steadying thump Winter has just turned to Spring, it will always be less green here. An attempt to keep the dragon's thoughts centered on their true purpose for being here. Around her neck, strapped beside the thick leather of her riding harness, was another thick and padded span of leather. Hanging from that cord was a single bag. It did not look unlike a firestone bag at first, but those that knew this dragon would know that could not be--she did not Fly fall. Never had, and never would. So then, what was it, what news had Lady Holder Irohvyne brought from the South?

Another dragon coalesced off of her bright sunny wing, above and behind over her right shoulder. At first, he could have been mistaken for K'oa and Geth if only because that would have been normal, but he was not. The pale rose-hued Brown was burdened with parcels as well. Verensith bellowed a welcome to the Watchdragon, and then continued his own call to rally the Weyr's attention in a way that Valeath had forgotten to do. Oh, oh yes, that's right, ohhhh we have something, can you come please? All of you? It wasn't really supposed to be all of them, but Valeath, the dragon who had once been mute, had never learned to speak on a private spectrum of mindthought. Her voice was for everyone.

But then, so was their gift.

Irohvyne urged her down and she made a seemingly lazy circle. They were taking their time weren't they, for how important their message seemed to be. Verensith followed suit, chasing her tailtips as they sliced through the thermals attempting to press them up away from the floor of the Bowl. Their slow descent gave everyone else time to join them in the Bowl. Or peek out with interest from their weyrs, or gather and gawk like Candidates in the distant shadows of the Barracks. They angled out and back in again, following the gentle curve of the lower Weyrwall until they settled down, one after the other, below the Leadership Weyrs in the North Wall in the shadow Rukbat was chasing to devour as she crossed from East to West. Only when she was at her zenith would the Bowl be fully baked by her light, until then a chill still remained.

That chill was only broken by the heat emanating from the nearby Hatching Sands, the memory of which called to Irohvyne as she dismounted and urged Valeath to lay her neck down, placing her burden near the hands of her Rider--though it was left tied to her all the same. Ro'ark disembarked far more quickly than the Lady Holder, his mouth tilted open in his usual chipper smile. He spent so much time between Dalibor and Grove, he could not be certain if he was coming or going. "We'll be back soon," he murmured uncharacteristically to the Brown, "though we'll be staying here tonight at least," he peered beneath the beast's legs to where Irohvyne was settling her hand atop the larger bag the Yellow carried, before turning his attention to the five that were strapped to the Brown's neck.

This was her show.

The Lady knew it.

"I have brought you a gift," she called to the approaching Weyrleadership though her voice, a well crafted political tool, carried on the wind to those within reasonable enough distance. She pulled back the flap of leather concealing her prize to expose an egg, just as Rukbat chased the final shadow from Valeath's sunrise-hued neck. The light bounced across the shell refracting into a hundred rainbows, the metallic appearance of it was enough to tighten Irohvyne's lungs in appreciation of its beauty. She could have kept this egg, and the others, for Tuana, but the partnership forged from such an exchange was worth far more than what could be provided. It was even likely that some of the whers born from the eggs, or from their offspring, would one day join her in the South. Still, it was hard not to savour the moment.

Some had doubted her, not many, not here, but some. Let them see that her gifts still continued. Her support of the West. Her loyalty.

"I have brought you a Queen egg, and five of her siblings." The rest would be up to them.

@Boo @Tigersilk @Rii

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 08:55 PM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3042 Posts
2275 Marks

The watch dragon brought news of the yellow's arrival before she heard Valeath's voice. Rayna looked up from her records. Couineth's hide had begun glowing. It was only slight but after the turns, she had grown accustomed to noticing the signs. It always started with a little complaining of course. Only minimal for the moment, fortunately. The Weyrwoman moved quickly to the bowl. The establishment of Tuana Hold and Grove Weyr were welcome, of course, but there was always a thought in the back of her mind of what this could mean. Well, at the very least, they had a number of Dalibor dragons in the new Weyr, they could expect some semblance of loyalty. For a while perhaps. She hoped.

Rayna stepped outside as the yellow dragon landed and the once again Lady Holder Irohvyne stepped forward. The announcement carried, wild wher eggs. There was no denying the need for more whers. The golden egg was truly a gift. It seemed that they had a true gift here.
"Lady Irohvyne, this is indeed a welcome gift."

She did not bother attempting to decline the gift in any way. It was clear that this was an expression of loyalty and hope. Irohvyne's first loyalty would always be to her own Hold but they could count on an ally at the very least.

"Thank you for your continued support. Dalibor will do what it can to continue to help Tuana in return," she added with a small bow of her head.

@Ruin

user posted image
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 11:23 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

She had been loitering, ok? It was a horrible habit, but really, Syrene didn’t want to be stuck doing another chore that she didn’t care about. UGH. This place was the worst at times! Ok, so, they were no worse than Fort Weyr, and at least people here seemed a little better, and they were the place with all the cool mutation. But chores? Chores were the worst. So Syrene had snuck off and was resting in the Weyr bowl, half hidden in the shadow of a boulder, bundled in her brother’s heavy fight jacket and several shirts to keep warm. She had almost been sleeping, she was so relaxed.

But that was before someone popped in over head. Like, literally popped. Syrene doubted she would ever get used to the phenomenon that was betweening. It was just too cool! Shading her eyes with a hand, she peered up at the bright blue sky trying to make out the shade of dragon. Ugh, why was it so hard to see? She huffed as she squinted making out a kind of… Yellow? Oh Faranth’s dry hide, it was a yellow. Those weren’t exactly common!

And then the voice was in her head. Her eyes widened like saucers, and for a second, she wondered if everyone else heard it. But they must have, because all sort of heads were whipping towards where the yellow and her entourage were landing.

Was it business? Was it war? Syrene didn’t know why they were here. As they neared landing, she noticed the bulging sacks, and of course assumed firestone. But she would be dead wrong. Creeping closer Syrene would do her best to get a good look at what was in the sack. But she froze the moment the Weyrwoman and her gold landed. Shards! What if she got yelled at? Ugh, damn you Syrene for being so curious!

Taking slow steps, and likely failing to sneak past dragons, Syrene would sneak a peek at what was in the sack… And be blown away by the sheen of gold.
“Flitters n’ Shards is that a gold egg?” A hand would slap over her mouth a mere second after she spoke, the look in her eyes one of pure surprise. Oops. Looks like she hadn’t been able to keep up that stealth after all!

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 2 2017, 11:40 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3273 Posts
300 Marks

Irohvyne had always harbored a fondness for the Senior Weyrwoman, long before she was the Senior of Dalibor. Her smile was genuine, and so was the gift. It was always political, but it never had to be callus or cold. "Palefolk invasions, expeditions, Dalibor has given much in service to her Holds. We thank you, Weyrwoman." There would be time for further posturing later, however. Now, the eggs needed heat. It didn't take much to urge Valeath into the Hatching Caverns, she climbed into the gaping maw nimbly, followed by Verensith.

Is it time to care for my eggs the Yellow asked, but Irohvyne pressed into her with a gentle reminder; those aren't your eggs darling, and you know it the two-time mother seemed slightly deflated that she couldn't continue her job of protecting the wher eggs, but she would relent eventually. Both dragons stretched out on the hot sand, placing the bags within easy reach of any clutching Wher Handlers who would come to help.

Irohvyne could not have helped with this part if she wanted to. It was very important to keep the eggs a certain way, she was sure, and she had next to no idea how Whers preferred to incubate their young. "They're almost fully hardened," she said conversationally. "It won't be long, if they were dragon eggs I would wager they will hatch four and a half sevendays from now. I am certain Dalibor will see many fine Candidates join her ranks before then."

@Boo @Fancy female whers who know about eggs!

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 08:27 AM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

We go.

Nevitheran's head lifted from where he was working on his latest project, towards the Gold who had bonded to him what felt like so long ago.

What, my Queen?
We go. Valeath, Hers, they bring eggs. Wild eggs. One is Queen. They need someone to watch, keep warm, nest, we go. Is duty. Nevisk have experience, I go, you watch, we wait and see what is inside.

Nevitheran didn't dare groan audibly, Nevisk would have bitten him. She was at a size now, where her teeth were large enough - SHE was large enough - that it would have certainly done a real share of damage. He rolled up his project, tucking it quietly into his bag as Nevisk proceeded him out of the Dining Hall towards the Sands with the other people venturing forth. They gave her a wide berth, and for good reason; Nevisk's reputation proceeded her almost everywhere she went, and now was no exception. The Gold hatched from a Palefolk Expedition find. She was more wild than not, they claimed, but Nevisk had tried very, very hard to dispel those claims in the last several turns.

Thus far, it seemed to be working. They were Betahandlers now, the pair of them; while Nevitheran didn't exactly receive the news as well as he probably should have, and the position was rife with strife from those who had their own opinions, ultimately he took Nevisk's stance on it: people, by their very nature, were competitive. Icemaulers did not concern themselves with the squawking of whersports, and ultimately all it did was make them easier to target.

And so, progressing towards the cavern, Nevitheran and his Queen evaded much of the conversation prior to just short of Valeath depositing the eggs on the sands.

I will stay. Nevisk and King will look after wild babies. They from where I am from, after all. This is true? Nevisk's large, serpentine form slinked along the sand, her large, impressive maw never once diverting from the so-called 'prize' of her perhaps surrogate hatchlings. The Queen egg was given less regard than the others, she had more interest in those who would one day ultimately become her constituents. The other Queen, she had no doubt, would be beneath her, as well.

Nevitheran knew the source of her intrigue; he had heard stories of Couineth's clutch, and the Queen she'd buried in the Sand. The reasons for that hiding. He had no doubt, and already the sounds of voices around him had confirmed, that there was more interest in the Queen egg, than the other five that joined it. Such was the way of things, and he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt - at least he hoped - that those looking for the position of power that came in time with a Queen's choosing, without the humility of the burden it also carried, would be overlooked in favor of those capable of handling all of it, not just some.

Faranth did not give them more than they could handle. Dalibor Weyr and her Holds as a whole were shining proof of that, and Nevitheran bowed from where he lingered.

"Lady Irohvyne, Weyrwomen Rayna. My Nevisk has expressed her interest in being Keeper for this clutch, with your permission."
I have my clutch already,
Nevisk confirmed. Large clutch. Thirteen hatchling, just graduate not long ago. Six egg, no problem. I watch, I keep warm, I turn. This Nevisk's duty. She swiveled her head up towards Couineth. If have permission, like Nevisk's King say.

@Boo @Ruin

PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 06:42 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3042 Posts
2275 Marks

Rayna turned as she saw the crowd gathering near the sands and spotted a candidate among them. The girl swore and then immediately clapped a hand to her mouth. The Weyrwoman smiled slightly at the reaction suppressing a laugh then turned her attention back to the Lady Holder and her yellow. Valeath seemed eager to have the eggs moved immediately. Rayna stepped forward for a closer look at the carefully packed eggs. The smooth golden egg was of course the one that would draw most attention. As always. Oddly enough, it was something Rayna had a heightened attention for due to Couineth's own thoughts on the matter. The gold in question shifted behind her.
I am not so petty a creature that I would be so worried about something as simple as an egg taking attention from me. Couineth huffed.

Of course, Rayna knew the gold had changed much from a hatchling but every few turns, almost as clockwork, she regained some of her former attitude.
"Do not worry Valeath, we will take care of them immediately, thank you for caring for them thus far," Rayna responded then turned to Irohvyne, "If you should wish to stay for some time you are very welcome."

She turned at the arrival of Nevisk, the gold wher being the most suitable choice apart from Vresk. Removing Vresk from her duties to care for eggs would not be the most ideal solution. Nevisk's offer was met with a nod of her head.
"Yes, I think that should do nicely. I feel I need not stress the importance of this gift but I will say plainly that if you encounter any issues, contact Couineth, Laanasuth or Zeuth immediately."

Rayna hoped Nevitheran took her meaning well. With egg smashers and traditionalists plaguing the West, it was important to keep a wary eye out. She felt confident, however, that they could successfully judge the candidates who would be standing for this particular clutch.

She beckoned the candidate over to them, the one who had gasped.
"What was your name?"

@Ruin @RhiaBlack @Blot

user posted image
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 04:12 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

Really, Syrene needed to stop swearing so often. That was one thing that often got her in trouble. Especially around adults. Especially especially around the Weyrwoman of all people! She would follow the eggs as they were handed over to the arriving Betahandler and his gold. Nevisk was pretty imposing, and she was thankful that Gold Couineth was not here as well. Syrene was sure that would be too much splendor to deal with.

At the mention of how soon they would hatch, Syrene would quietly count down the days in her head. Ah, so she would finally get to watch a hatching. That would be entertaining, to say the least. Six eggs. Six chances for others to find their bonded. Good, Syrene was excited to see. But she wasn’t so lost in thought that she didn’t hear Rayna ask for her name.

“My name is Syrene, Ma’am.” She added on that last bit qwuick, remembering Ra’h had told her not to be too casual with other riders, especially those of high rank.
“I’m sorry for earlier. I’ve just never seen a Queen egg before. She’s beautiful lookin’.” There was still some awe in her voice.
“I can’t wait to see how she and her siblings look. I’ve never seen a wher hatrchin’ before.”

She knew she was too young to stand just yet, being only eleven. But she could at least watch, right?

@Boo

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Tigersilk
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 05:56 PM
Wingleader

N/A

1093 Posts
1495 Marks

G'len had been doing the usual Wing paperwork in his office when the call from Valeath came in. The Senior Weyrleader quickly put up the papers he was working on - not that there was anything particularly sensitive in this batch or anything; it was just a good habit to get into - and quickly checked to make sure he was presentable before going down to the Bowl floor with Zeuth.

Once the Bronzepair joined the others, G'len gave Lady Iroh a quiet greeting but otherwise left the official pleasantries to her and Rayna. He preferred to watch the gathering crowd and note their reactions to...whatever it was the Lady brought for them. A pleasant friendly smile and a watchful eye on the mood of the crowd was all that was needed from him at the moment.

Zeuth, meanwhile, kept an eye out for any other dragons that might approach them. Or at least, any of the larger males trying to approach Couineth; he had a knack of knowing when a female would Rise long before anyone else did, and naturally noted the signs of the Gold's coming heat before his bonded did. Which meant, amongst other annoying behaviors, that the Bronze would want more frequent oilings over the next season, and would tend to be more suspicious of any male he thought a rival for the Queen. In other words, business as usual.

G'len whistled softly at the sight of the gold wher egg and its five siblings. A valuable gift for almost any Weyr or Hold, those six wherets-to-be, with at least one of the other five very likely to be at least either a subking or subqueen. One could make the argument that the new Tuana Hold, or either Skerry Hold or Grove Weyr would be better recipients for these gifts, but the Lady chose them instead, for whatever reason. He wasn't going to question it, at least not now. That could be left for later, if necessary.

He and Zeuth went with the others into the Hatching Grounds to deposit the eggs where they would stay the warmest and well-protected from most wild predators until they hatched. Human predators, on the other hand, were tricker to evade, as Dalibor had learned to its sorrow some turns back with their last Queen dragon clutch.

The arrival of Nevisk help ease some of his concerns about the orphan clutch. The golden wher had had one clutch already so she had experience at egg tending, plus the pair's position as Betahandlers meant they would know which other handlers would make good additional guards for the eggs.

A small form moved to G'len's side, to get a better view of the proceedings. Lerian, now ten turns old and looking more like her late - and very much lamented by him - mother Durian every day. The girl was becoming far more independent and rebellious in recent turns; high time to get her into a Harper apprenticeship to both challenge her hungry mind and keep her out of trouble. Ler kept quiet for the moment, absorbing what she could for later use. She'd ask something later, once everything was over for the day.

After taking note of the young Candidate (Syrene) Rayna called over to them and listening to their conversation for a second, G'len turned to Iroh. "This is a fine gift you've given us," he said pleasantly. "What is the story behind this clutch, may I ask? It would be a difficult feat to rob a wild mother of her young and live to tell the tale." Hopefully no-one did anything stupid to get these eggs. Whers were known to have very long memories, and a wild Queen with a grudge would be major trouble for the new Hold. Hopefully Iroh had avoided that pitfall. Somehow.

@Ruin
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 05:56 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3273 Posts
300 Marks

Valeath was busy buring her head in the sand, quite literally snaking it under and wiggling it and her neck back and forth until everything was covered and only the delicate curves of her nostrils were sticking out, she wuffled and snorted and wiggled her head closer to Nevisk and her man before Iroh stilled her with a touch. The Lady Holder moved out of the way so the Goldhandler could remove the Queen egg. Ro'ark joined her silently, looking around but mostly avoiding the conversation. He, he would be staying to have a bit of Eithne in his life, what the Lady did was her choice.

Once the Weyrwoman had given her permission; "Please," she murmured softly, waving at the satchel. "Neither of these dragons will mind. The Handlers down south packed them up, I would not want to damage them in any way." To Rayna, her smile brightened. "Thank you, Weyrwoman. I am very fond of what we are building down South, but I will always remember Dalibor as the place where my life changed for the better, and a truly second home."

Verensith and Valeath stayed completely still, the bags flush with the hot sand so people could reach in and easily scoop out their treasure, or simply untie the bag and take it deeper into the Sands to form the clutch. Irohvyne was very interested to see how Nevisk would arrange the clutch. "Will she allow us to watch?" she queried. It wasn't all that often you had the opportunity to see a wild-born wher bring in more of her kin. "If they all produce such fine beasts as Nevisk, Dalibor will be strengthened for it."

The woman smiled softly at G'len and nodded, "the whers down there are large beasts, competing against Southern cats, they are territorial and violent. We thought we would try to barter with them as the Wher Program here tried. Most of them were interested, some were not. One of them was enterprising enough to lead us to this clutch. Hopefully they are of great service to their Weyr."

@Boo @RhiaBlack @Tigersilk

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Catsitta
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 08:54 PM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

982 Posts
0 Marks

A queen egg. Zaephor had never seen one before. Not that the sight of eggs of any kind brought him any comfort. In fact, he likely looked downright uncomfortable as he stood there amongst the crowd, watching the eggs as they were placed on the Sands. He fought the urge to back away. A Turn ago he would have bolted. Ever since that dragonet mauled him as severely as it did, he went from wary to outright shy around clutches. He wasn't comfortable being in the same room, and when the eggs did hatch, he was struck with a throb of paranoia. Yet again and again he Stood, praying that it would be the day he Impressed and wouldn't end permanently maimed from the affair.

Because he had no idea what he would do with himself if he didn't Impress.

Mutely, he observed the high ranking members of the weyr as they communicated, evidently thrilled about this acquisition. He let out a slow breath. Maybe he'd watch the hatching...the mind healer did say that the more he attended hatchings, the less he'd fear them. Though he wished he'd just get through it already! He could feel himself paling, and the eggs weren't even due to hatch quite yet!

PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 11:20 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

[Italics are private thoughts between Nevisk and Nevitheran. Bold, unless otherwise stated (specifically, the instance where she speaks to Raisk) are Hatching-Caverns only. People outside the caverns will not be spoken to, but the weyrfolk and people within are welcome to spread the word.]

They think I am 'fine beast', King.
They're correct in their assumptions, my love.
Funny, seem only people think I 'fine beast', we do something for Weyr. Otherwise, Nevisk, I am 'monster' and 'suspicious' and 'not to be trusted'. Maybe they will learn.
Maybe. One has to have a certain amount of candor to rule one day.
Not ready yet. We learn, we watch, we see. Soon, we rule. But not yet. Too much still to do.

Nevisk knew precisely who she was calling to guard. She put it out in a broadcast within the caverns proper; the Weyrfolk were good at spreading rumors and news, let them do something useful with idle talk.

Raisk. You, Raistlin, you come, help guard. Tell Vessk come too. One, each side. No Candidates on Sands. I make circle, nobody come close. We make sure Hatchlings safe. No egg-stabbers on my watch, your watch, Vessk's watch. Keep lights on, low, so they not hurt, but bright enough, we see. Make sure Ours see, too. No tiny-wings. I will eat.

She snapped her maw, the loud clap audible as the sound resonated through the bone of her skull, and she chuffed as she approached the bags. Nevitheran rolled up his sleeves, setting his bag aside, and very, very carefully helped his Queen carry them to the center of the Sands. Nevisk wanted as much space between the clutch and the walls and borders as possible, so that every possible angle could be viewed to protect them. It was an important job, and she would see to their protection - with her own life, if necessary.

She got to work digging a nest, all the while making sounds Nevitheran had only heard when she'd hatched. The low whuffing noises, the sounds of her throat's sides connecting. Strange ones, but he never questioned her methods. Out of the pair of them, she was the one with the experience.

Sand was dug out, tamped down, backfilled in. She shifted it around with her tail, her long face used to push it into place, before she looked expectantly to Hers. Nevitheran opened the bag holding the Queen egg, and Nevisk wrapped her maw delicately around the shell. Lifting, her tongue cradled it to keep the hide from being fractured by massive teeth, and she laid it carefully down into the center of the nest. Her wings shifted, she bumped it lightly with her nose at first; then once the contact of hide to shell was made, she nudged it to one side in the sand.

Nevitheran pulled each of the others out of the bags, and held them so that she could maneuver them about. Each was treated with great care, until finally all five settled in a close group beside the larger of them all. Nevisk back-filled the nest around them, covering them some two-thirds in it.

When all of it was done, she looked to make sure her summoned wherguards had either arrived or were on the way, before she wrapped her serpentine frame around them, curling her whip-like tail in a complicated lacing so that at least a few inches of it touched each egg. Her head was brought around, and laid down in front of them.

I watch. We watch. We wait. Crimson eyes bled further, and Nevitheran knew he wouldn't get his Queen a single centimeter from the either stolen or orphaned clutch until each shell had broken. King get food. Sleeping things. You will need.

"Once things calm down. People are curious."
They are curious. They too curious, and I bite. Then they sore, hurt, not curious.

Nevisk bumped the smallest egg with her snout, huffing quietly.

They good hatchling, these ones. Nevisk know wild whers. Know these good eggs. Ones outside wall, though, some, maybe not good egg. King, Raisk, Vessk, be careful. Put guard with Valeath's. Just in case, until home.

Nevitheran's brow knit, but otherwise he turned his attention towards Rayna with the 'I don't know' expression. It was the Weyrwoman's call, after all, but Nevitheran understood Nevisk's concern. Dalibor had many enemies, none so more than those who hadn't particularly liked Lady Irohvyne's position, and probably wouldn't care for the one she'd taken now. The last thing they needed was Benden breathing down their necks, because something had happened to her on their watch. But he suspected that precautions had already been taken.

"I'm certain they've already made sure, my love."

Nevisk huffed, curling her body a bit tighter around the nest she'd made. Nevi collected all the bags, and shook them out before rolling them and returning them towards Ro'ark. After all, it was hardly proper to hand a Lady something covered in sand.

@Raining @Ivy @Boo @Ruin

PM
^
BadgerStripes
 Posted: Apr 5 2017, 02:12 AM
Unregistered

N/A Posts
Marks

As Shallath was receiving the message, Jurai was occupied with repairs on her favorite chair. It had began to make an ominous noise when she sat in it, and she wanted to see why. It currently lay in pieces on the ground, the greenrider having disassembled it to test each individual piece for structural integrity.

It was why the green dragon was able to slip off her ledge and to the hatching grounds before her excitement as she realized the gift was eggs hit Jurai hard enough that she dropped one of the legs for her chair on her own foot. Swearing and hopping around, the green rider reached for her green but only got a tangled mess of words, images and high emotion back. Eggs, eggs, eggs, cousinwher eggs! Thank you Valeath! Her words were projected to both Jurai and Valeath, the yellow sounding so cheerful that Shallath couldn't resist trying to open up and thank her.

Jurai tipped her head as her foot throbbed. For her own sanity, she kept tabs on when the clutching dragons and whers were due to rise. None had run recently that she was aware of. Gift Eggs! From Valeath's! The source of the eggs explained, Jurai growled and began tidying up. She needed to get down there and distract her dragon, now.

Shallath thought as her rider hastened to her side. It took her a long time to think. Hers did not want her volunteering to watch over the eggs, help place them or turn them. But she wanted to help. And Nevisk was a wher. Speaking to her was scary but not as scary as speaking to any of the other dragons.

She was excited, Shallath was, and hungry. And...her hunger gave her the idea. She reached for Nevisk before her rider realized, her tone halting, uncertain but respectful. CousinwherNevisk? I help? Hunt for Nevisk sometimes, when others can't? Know Nevisk good hunter but Nevisk will be busy with eggs. Shouldn't be hungry to be good guardianmother. Jurai arrived then, having taken the stairs and crossed the weyr at a near sprint. Her dragon nudged her and the rider leaned on her, breathing hard.

Don't worry. Asked Nevisk if I could help with the eggs!

@Ruin @RhiaBlack
[Shallath demanded that she be here to see the EGGZ! and coo over them and all that.]
^
Ives
 Posted: Apr 5 2017, 06:24 PM
Alphahandler

Zookeeper

1394 Posts
940 Marks

Oh, oh yes, that's right, ohhhh we have something, can you come please? All of you?

An unfamilliar voice rang out in the minds of the weyr's denizens and was met with various reactions. While some hurried to the Weyrbowl to see what was happening others were lost deep in the sweet embrace of sleep. A long cyan neck twisted from her weyrledge to peer down into the bowl just as the yellow and her escort landed. Soon a shimmer around the yellow's neck was noted and Mysqith raised a leg for her rider, A queen egg. With a hop Ivy had her leg up and over to settle in for the short trip down to the bowl. Dismounting a few dragonslengths away to avoid over crowing, the redhead's curious gaze followed the movements of the Weyrleaders as well as the appearance of the betahandler. Missy flitted closer to get a better look, following the dragons and eggs into the hatching sands cavern while sending fleeting images of the clutch to Hers. At the threat of being eaten the orange disappeared between only to reappear next to Ivy, landing on her shoulder with a soft nuzzle. It was a nice clutch but she doubted the hatchlings would be as lovely as hers. Rolling her eyes at her pet Ivy offered a gentle scritch before sauntering forward a few steps to see if she could hear where the eggs had come from - no doubt the Weyrleaders would let everyone know when the time came but she was curious now.

Sleep was something that had been elluding Vessa for a sevenday now, so rather than being snug in her bed the greenhandler was enjoying a soak in the empty bathing room. Stretching out in the water she watched with amusement as Apima jumped into one of the other empty tubs to swim about - curious that a feline should love water so much yet there she was. Poe played the role of a quiet sentinel perched up high enough to avoid being a meal for the still wild feline while Solstice disappeared between and returned shortly thereafter with images of a yellow dragon in the skies and talons full of silver fish that he dropped into the pool Apima occupied. Quickly the feline went to work hunting the fish, tossing them one by one out of the waters before she too climbed out with a shake that sent water droplets everywhere. Enjoying her meal she paid little attention as the small black landed near Vessa to nip her affectionately. Though she was not well read on all the Weyr's dragons only one yellow came to mind immediately, 'Was there a tan too?' It was pointless to hope as much but the mere thought that just maybe had her out of the water in a flash. Water dripped from her form as she wrapped herself in a towel and rushed to her room. Changing she hurried into the hall and into the main area that housed most of the other handlers as Vessk stretched and quickly trotted out of their room to join her. Raisk calls. Nevisk say be guarding eggs.

In her rush the smaller statured Prideleader nearly ran right into a familiar bronzehandler pair, "A bit early in the day for you to be up isn't it Norla?" This earned a tired yawn from the younger tow-headed woman as she smirked, "Hard to sleep with all the yammering from that dragon." The taller woman was a light sleeper, turns in the wilds had left her rather jumpy and once she was awake Norsk was awake. It was their duty, according to the bronze, to see what the dragon wanted them for. It was Vessk that filled Norsk in, Raisk say yellow big-wing bring eggs. Wher eggs. Nevisk care for. Vessk guard. Chest thrust forward more in pride as she walked along next to the larger bronze that had once served well in Epsilon under her guidance. "How is Bravo treating you? Are you fitting in well as Pridesecond there?" Norsk bobbed his head to the green, appreciative of her telling him what she knew - it was all the more reason they should be there as well. Vessk be good at guard-ing. Norsk and Nor-la help Vessk. Be good have many guards. "So far so good, Oreanda runs a tight pride but I'm used to that thanks to the last Prideleader I had." The women shared a broad smile as they reached the end of the corridor, each of them pausing to ensure their whers' goggles were affixed properly before they wandered out into the mostly unfamiliar bright light Rukbat offered.

Arriving together they entered the hatching cavern cautiously with their whers announcing them ahead of time, Vessk and Vessk's are here. Norsk and Nor-la be of service to great Queen?

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
Boo
 Posted: Apr 9 2017, 03:34 AM
Senior Weyrwoman

N/A

3042 Posts
2275 Marks

With the guarding of the eggs all but handed over to the Betahandler, Rayna felt confident in the abilities of the whers in handling some of their own. Of course, with this gift being so important, there was worry already settling comfortably into her mind again, the spot it had abandoned not so long ago when things seemed to be going well. Just as things seemed to be going well for Dalibor, something always happened.

Smiling at the candidate's answer, Rayna nodded her head and cast a glance at the shining egg again.
"Nice to meet you Syrene, I was hoping I might ask your assistance in just a moment to organise some food and bedding for Nevitheran. Are you standing for whers or dragons?" Rayna requested of the candidate once the name was learned.

She then turned her attention to Nevitheran who seemed uncertain as to whether Nevisk would allow them to watch.
"It is Nevisk's decision. I would suggest, however, if you were to watch it be from a distance. We would not want to cause distraction or alarm."
There were enough of them on the sands as it was. To illustrate her point, Rayna made a slight ushering movement to try to encourage people to at least move to the stands.

The next chore would be to alert the candidate master but it would not do to reveal the news to the candidates themselves until things had calmed down and Nevisk had time to settle into her surrogacy.

user posted image
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 03:50 PM
Senior Weyrleader

Wrangler of Muses

4005 Posts
20 Marks

Nevisk didn't move, not unless someone came closer than ten feet from the eggs. At which point, crimson eyes opened, and lips curled to reveal her teeth. Footsteps bothered her, and she finally got up to step that distance from her surrogate nest. A circle was drawn with the whiplike end of her tail, before she curled back around the eggs - this time, hiding them from view with her body and wings.

Not come close, if you not Nevisk's, Raisk's. No others. Come close, and I bite. No Candidates on Sands, no visitor on Sands, nobody on Sands but maybe-other mothers, dragon or wher, if have nest. No nest? No Sands. I take no chance. You not Nevisk, Nevisk's King, Raisk or Raistlin, you go behind wall now. She felt the press of dragonspeech, and the irritation was mild in her tone, but tempered by her bonded.

You hunt, but not bring in. Bring to entrance, Raisk bring in. This okay with me, you want help, I okay with you helping. But not come in. Easy for bad people, things, come in with. Norsk watch entrance. Vessk, Raisk, patrol insides. No others. Too many body, too easy for distraction, bad people come in. You three, stay patrol even when babies come. Raisk will be on Sands with Nevisk, make sure no Candidates try funny stuff. We make sure clutch is safe.

She reached out to Al'dr from where she lingered.

Fortath's. You come to Hatching Sands. Nevisk want speak to you. Important. Yours stay outside.

@Ivy @BadgerStripes @Raining

[As a clarification for the above post, for anyone with any questions - Nevisk is not permitting anyone on the Sands with her outside of Nevitheran (obviously), and Raistlin/Raisk. Everyone else (including Candidates) are relegated to staying off the Sands and behind the wall until the Hatching, at which point Raisk will be asked to come sit with Nevisk with the clutch while Impressions are ongoing - any Candidate who attempts to harm or intervene with Hatchlings during that hatching, will be bitten and removed by either Raisk or Nevisk (the severity of said bite is up to whomever is bitten, but it's being made clear far ahead of time that Nevisk will not allow Candidates to touch or otherwise hurt the babies until Impressions are made).]

PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 08:58 PM
Wingrider

N/A

286 Posts
428 Marks

It was interesting to watch all the whers gather to tend to the eggs in the nest. Syrene moved occasionally so she could get a better look, her heart thumping in her chest. Yes. She would stand for these one day too. Forget Ra’h and his worries. A wher would be the perfect companion! She would watch as more and more Whers appeared, possibly called by the gold?

The Weyrwoman’s attention was not ignored though. For once, Syrene knew to cut the sass.
“Yes Ma’am I’d be glad to help! Dragons, for now. But once I’m old enough to stand for Whers, I want to stand for them too. I think they’re just as important as dragons, and would be proud to be a handler.” She knew there were some that discredited the dragon’s ugly cousins, but Dalibor didn’t seem like that kind of place. It was one of the things she had to give Dalibor credit for. Even though people had sneered that Ra’h was moving them there, Syrene was glad.

“Should I go to the lower caverns, or perhaps the handler quarters for bedding?” She asked, unsure which would be better. Her attention would be on the gold wher as she curled her whole body around the eggs. Impressive! She really was big! Excitement thrummed in her veins as she stayed behind the wall, not wanting to get on the Queen’s badside. After all, she had *quite* a lot of teeth!

@Boo

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 12:48 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3273 Posts
300 Marks

Oh oh, you are soooo welcome Shallath, they are so beautiful, you should come look, I am looking now, oh but my I-roh is...she's shooing me out, there isn't much room for me I suppose, that's okay, that's okay! Even as she said it the cheery Yellow waddled out around all the humans, Verensith on her tail. They had done their duty. Ro'ark had already disappeared into the bowels of the Weyr, and Irohvyne, she had slowly inched out of the way as more people arrived. They wouldn't be able to stay for too long, she did have a new Hold to run, but she was pleased to see everyone all the same. Pleased to think about her children so close across the ocean. At least compared to how far she was when she went home.

She did find the whers nest to be quite lovely.

@BadgerStripes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr