Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for eight years.

News
Spring, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights:
Red Cyanide

Upcoming Hatchings:
Amber Era

Western Hold welcomes new blood in the form of a young couple, Lord Holder Basasius and Lady Holder Baria. A grand Gather is being hosted by Western Hold to welcome their new Lord and Lady.

While the new Lords settle into Western there has been talk and speculation about the western continent's other Hold. It has been two turns since his wife's passing in the south, when will Lord Callum decide to take up a new wife?

Spring has woken an abundance of plant life across Pern with intermittent spring showers helping to sate the growth's never ending thirst. With the end of snow and cold comes Thread once more; Dalibor's wings have no doubt been reduced due to losses over the winter but none the less they persevere.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Arlya of Burgundy Xerocleth - Rowana

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ivy

Betahandler
Der of Grey Desk - Rii
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin

Weyrlingmaster
B'tor of Green Tavistrath - Sakoru
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ivy

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Ra'h of Green Musath - Blot
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Head Admins

Ruin

Moderators

Ivy
Rii

Historian

Rhia

Advertisers

Tigersilk
Zane
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Grove Weyr: Basecamp, WI:17 {Jungle Basecamp}
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 24 2017, 10:37 PM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Still at half-capacity, but growing, Grove has decided to host the Expedition team within their own walls. This serves the dual purpose of increasing camaraderie between the Weyrs, protecting the people they've asked to help them, and focusing the exploration efforts in one place.

Many weyrs are open for Dragonriders who choose to stay in the South during the expedition, many caverns have been cleared for Wherhandlers and support staff alike. Grove seems to positively bustle, and Daliboreans will find many former residents of their Weyr, plus many new faces with which to rub elbows.

Dining Hall, Lower Caverns, Infirmary, and private weyrs are the most likely places your characters will find themselves, and Weyrleadership has asked you kindly not to tell too many stories to the Candidates and Weyrlings, too much excitement isn't good for newly-Impressed or hopefuls who might wander out into the Jungle and find themselves eaten.

A blink between was snow, but here in the deep South you know a hazy Summer where fruits are ripe and plentiful and the land is dangerous. It comes with all of the traditional terrors like the large Southern Felines, and biting insects, but the dark line of Jungle sprouting from the grasslands on which Grove was founded seem to hold an ominous presence over the horizon.

[ This thread is for posting reactions to various events that happen to your characters in the main thread, to hang out, and to do whatever you like! People who are not on the expedition but who are delivering supplies or otherwise indirectly helping can also meet up here! (Note: Weyrlings/Candidates are still not permitted here, though they can write letters of encouragement!)

FYI this is a time fluid space, so you can react to people coming in or whatever at any time, ignoring how far along the expedition actually is and whatnot. ]

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Oct 24 2017, 11:27 PM
Wherlingmaster

218 Posts
258 Marks

Ems and Kapath
Open

Well, she at least felt like she was helping. The day had been spent hauling supplies around and making sure they were wherever they were supposed to be. It was hard, sweaty work and Em loved every second of it. It was nice to do something that wasn't carting people back and forth from Weyr to Hold and back again.

Kapath had drunk his weight in water and Ems had done similar, both now sprawled out in whatever shade they could find to rest and recoup. "I need to cut my hair again," Ems complained with a huff. Kapath opened an eye to study her. No, you should grow it out. Then no one will recognize you.

Ems shook her head at her dragon's idea of a game and patted his neck idly. It was serving as her couch at the moment, propping her up.

Captain's Crew
Pressganged - Captain's Wanteds
Lady Holder Baria of Western
X'vir of Brown Oth | Ems of Blue Kapth | Wa'ut of Blue Qith |
L'ru of Green Syrath |Z'ant of Green Lyraleth |
Zaela of Pink Nektisuth | Qivi of Black Dekandaeth |
Vatalian of Orange Vatask | Pavir of Blue Pavisk | Setarii of Black Setask
Inali, Havenrute, Navenax, Felrin
PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 08:01 PM
Wherlingmaster

218 Posts
258 Marks

Zaela
Open
Nektisuth burst from Between with a scream My Zaela needs help!

The slim rider was clinging to the straps and soaked with blood. Pale, she lifted her head a moment and groaned, eyes fluttering shut. "'M'fine," she mumbled, clutching her left arm to her chest. There had been a hand there, once. Now it was just a bloody stump with shreds of flesh dangling from the end where bone jutted out, uneven and ugly.

Her entire front and Nektisuth's black was splattered with blood and the young rider tried to pull herself out of the straps, only to reach with her hand and find nothing there. Then she screamed. And screamed. And Nektisuth bellowed her worry until Zaela's screams of terror finally stopped and the pinkrider went limp in the straps. Which only made getting her down more difficult, as Nektisuth circled, spinning on the ground, head craned back to reach for her rider. Zaela! Zaela! Someone help her! Zaela! The dragon's worry was more than evident, but her fidgeting and attempts to get to her rider herself certainly weren't helping the situation.

Captain's Crew
Pressganged - Captain's Wanteds
Lady Holder Baria of Western
X'vir of Brown Oth | Ems of Blue Kapth | Wa'ut of Blue Qith |
L'ru of Green Syrath |Z'ant of Green Lyraleth |
Zaela of Pink Nektisuth | Qivi of Black Dekandaeth |
Vatalian of Orange Vatask | Pavir of Blue Pavisk | Setarii of Black Setask
Inali, Havenrute, Navenax, Felrin
PM
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 08:07 PM
Alphahandler

1214 Posts
4530 Marks

Se'ng- Open for tagging!

An expedition - it meant a lot of things to a lot of people but to Se'ng the thing that drew him in was the unknown beasts that may be hidden within the jungle. Arriving a few days early he had assisted the Grove weyrfolk and riders in setting up all they needed to ahead of time, enjoying the fact he could break out his summer clothing versus the bundle of clothes he'd been wearing back home. Freyotth had all but picked out a weyr for himself; as far as he was concerned a place without harsh winters and snow was ideal and they should just stay down here. Ignoring the burgundy as per usual Se'ng moved about the base camp with a mission, waving his arm about when he saw a group of beastcrafters sent from the hall. No doubt they were just as excited as he was about how things might pan out; none of the crafters planned on risking life and limb to explore the jungle themselves and were content to wait to see what was brought back.

It would be a few days before he might head into the jungle, there was a wide enough area for all of them to have a turn at exploring best he could figure. The wingsecond wasn't keen on waiting but he would, couldn't go rushing into the thick of things without a buddy after all - and none had come forward yet needing him. In the meantime he would keep an eye out for new beasts and critters, an eye keeping watch on the other tents to see what was brought back as far as flora as well. That might be as interesting as the critters the jungle held.

PM
^
summerrain
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 08:18 PM
Apprentice

75 Posts
420 Marks

NPCs Amalthea of Green Amalthesk and Barret of Blue Barresk
Tag: Zaela, open

"What if we just keep following the river?" Barret asked, a strip of leather around his head keeping his brown hair out of his eyes. "It makes sense, they'll need to know where it goes." He held the map between them, sitting next to her with their two whers curled up together behind them.

"That's no real adventure," Amalthea said with a small laugh. Her oddly colored purple eyes seemed to glow in the light, at least to her weyrmate. "The lake seems kind of boring too. What about here?" she asked, brushing a bit of her white hair from her face with one hand and pointing at the map with the other. Barret opened his mouth to respond when the mental shriek caused them both to wince and woke their whers with a start. Amalthea jumped up, as did Amalthesk.

"Amalthesk, can you try to calm the dragon down?" she asked her Green. Amalthesk nodded and slowly approached the panicking Pink.

Dragon needs be calm, Amalthesk said, trying to be gentle. If not calm, rider not get help. Amalthea stood next to her Green, looking over at the girl. She'd seen her fair share of injuries, but she was no healer. Needs be calm so can help. So can tell healer-person what happened.

"We need a healer over here! NOW!" Barret yelled suddenly, running over to Amalthea. "Let's get her out of the straps and at least on the ground," he suggested. "You take one side, I'll take the other. Do you think you can catch her if she starts falling?" Amalthea nodded. She knew that Barret, as a smith, could easily support just about anyone. Herself, on the other hand... Well, combat lessons during Wherlinghood hadn't been entirely wasted on her, at least.

Amalthea looked up at the Pink. "Is it alright for us to come get her?" she asked. It was never a good idea to approach a panicking dragon. They were much larger than whers, and though they didn't always have the same percentage of sheer muscle they could be just as dangerous, if not more.

PM
^
Ruriko
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 10:37 PM
Weyrlingmaster

472 Posts
150 Marks

S'vor & T'garn

@Captain

Well, that hadn't been precisely eventful in the way the tall greenrider was hoping! He wasn't about to leave T'garn and his viridian to go back to the base camp alone. The wind had been too strong for the larger dragon. Next time, they'd try a smaller dragon like Absinth and see if they might have better luck!

Are you telling me you wish to head out over that open water again? That is a fool's errand, mine.

'We have no clue what might be out there. What if there's land in those waters somewhere, and treasures the like of which we would not find otherwise? There are areas on that map as yet unexplored, my dear. Since when have we shied from a challenge? We can do this, together. I have faith in you.'

I am sure T'garn had faith in Viscerioth, for all the good it did him. Yet she was a prideful thing, and her words held only a hint of bite to them. S'vor grinned, as they landed near the Healer's tent, and went to check on T'garn's dragon.

"How is he?" His voice was somber, genuinely concerned.

"Not well I'm afraid. Grounded for the time being. The Healers say he will heal, but it will take many sevendays before he is up to exploring. I fear it will be done and over by then." T'garn frowned, but he was clearly more concerned for his dragon's well being, even if disappointment showed clear on the big man's face. He ran a hand through his long blond hair and sighed.

"I'm sorry, my friend. There will be other places to explore, I'm sure. I hope Viscerioth recovers swiftly and well." He clapped the man on the back, and then decided to go hunting with Absinth. She'd need her strength for tomorrow, though he cautioned her to not overeat...not that she ever did, mind.

The next morning...

"So, who is with me? I plan to head out over the water again, though I fear larger dragons will not fare so well as smaller. Anyone willing to brave the potential winds and waves?"

Absinth was still concerned that this might be foolhardy, but Hers had promised they'd be more wary this time. Now they knew what to expect, they hopefully would have continued luck in avoiding Viscerioth's fate!
PMEmail
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 10:57 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

O'men of Cyan Ketserututh (Healer)
@Captain - for Zaela
@Raining - for Da'on
(conferred actions with her prior to posting, to make sure she was coo with it)

Ketserututh had been lounging, listening in to Hers' conversations as O'men helped triage some of the worse injuries coming in. He'd volunteered with Da'on, unwilling to let his husband come alone and end up in some sort of kerfluffle; Bozidar had been left with Z'dyn to keep an eye on him while they were gone, as Bo had no desire to come attend the masses and otherwise - in his opinion - get in the way, when there were enough Wherhandlers coming that it left the patrols a hair bit shorter than he was comfortable with back home.

He'd been wrapping a particularly deep cut on the arm of one of the drudges helping to move things about and organize supplies, when the screaming started.

Ketserututh was up immediately, and O'men was off at a run with a handful of gauze and some numbweed in-hand; he bellowed equally loud for Da'on to get a cot set up. This didn't look good. It didn't look good at all, and until they got Nektisuth calmed down and Zaela off her neck, it wouldn't be easy to tell.

"Move, move, MOVE," he said sternly but loudly to thewherpair making grabs for the injured Rider, Ketserututh using her larger frame to sidle alongside the panicking Pink. She was careful not to step on the Green, but she did nudge her gently out of the way with a paw in order to keep anyone from treading on her.

We are here. We are here, right here. I know it's hard but you must stay calm, Nektisuth, Ket's tone was as soothing as she could get it, but at the same time, equally stern. In-charge, as it often got the attention and forced those in a different state of mind to focus. She knew it was hard. Any time a Rider was hurt, the dragon became the grounding presence. The one that tethered Theirs to the world. O'men reached up, unafraid and trusting that Ket would protect him, and settled his hand to Net's keel once his Cyan had stopped her moving long enough.

We have her, we will help her. But you must be her tether, keep her here. Keep her with us. She has lost a lot of blood, we will need your mind to keep her calm, and keep her grounded. She needs you, now, Net, more than ever. Do not lose her, and in turn, we will help her. Calm yourself, now. You can do her no good if you are panicking, yourself, right?

O'men patted the Pink's foreleg to get her to kneel down, so that he could pull Zaela off the top of her dragon. He wasn't precisely the request-and-wait sort when people's lives were in danger; if they didn't get her down and the veins and vessels closed off now, she was going to bleed out, and the last thing he wanted to do was to have to explain a corpse to the leadership. Not on his watch.

It helped his specialization was what it was.

Ketserututh did her best to soothe the upset Pink, her tail looking to wind with the other dragon's as O'men pulled a length of gauze out, doubled it up, and tied it around Zaela's arm an inch or so above where the hand had been removed. It was pulled as tight as he could get it, to cut off the circulation and slow the bleeding, before he checked her pulse, picked her up, and carried her towards the Healer tent.

The fact she was out cold was helpful, but it worried him to no end. If she woke up in the midst of things, it was going to be a mess.

Follow us, Ket bumped her nose and neck against Net's own neck. O'menMine and Roiath's will help her. We will get you as close as we can. You must be her strength, Nektisuth, she needs you now more than ever. We need your help to keep her calm. That's your job for right now, your only job, is to make sure she stays calm, and try to keep her mind here with you. That is what matters. Just that. Just you, just her. Can you do that for us? She will be in a great deal of pain, and I know you can feel that, too, but you must be strong for her, and for us.

O'men took Zaela into the healer tent, and settled her on the cot, elevating her damaged arm.

"Dae, I need hot water and redwort. You, you, and you," he pointed at drudges, "Hold her down. I don't want to dose her with Fellis, but if she wakes up in the middle of this, I don't want her jerking around, either..."

Ket curled herself around the Pink, while Hers was worked on by the Cyan's own bonded. O'men settled himself on a stool, propping what was left of the stub of Zaela's lower arm up, and started suturing the larger veins closed. It was tiny, delicate work, and he was working against the clock to get everything closed off before she bled to death. Cauterizing it would have been a better option, but out in the field as they were, he wasn't sure if there were any Smiths with working forges to find the heat source for the metal to do so.

(Let me know if I need to adjust/change anything!)

PM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 03:27 AM
Wingrider

138 Posts
330 Marks

Dijhay - Open for tagging

Dijhay cursed as he slapped at his neck once again... there were clearly a new kind of vtol in this blasted jungle, one that both left an annoyingly itchy welt behind when it bit, and that apparently had mastered the art of betweening, as no matter how fast he reacted, the sharding little bastards escaped him, and he had yet to even spot one, only discovering their presence when he was bitten yet again. Melchior, sick of the few unintentional slaps he had received due to insect bites, had abandoned Dijhay's clothing in order to go find what he could hunt in this strange new environment.

Scratching at his latest welt, the Tanner looked across the base camp... he had volunteered to come along in the hopes of getting first dibs at the hides of any new beasts the expedition happened to kill and drag back to the camp, since his workload at Dalibor had slowed down due to not having his prototype ready for the former of the last two hatchings, and when he had rushed to get his prototypes out for the next one, the dragonets had all attacked each other instead of the Candidates, giving him absolutely no useful information to revise his prototype any further.

Grunting in frustration and slapping at yet another painful bite, he started wondering if he could invent insect-proof armor instead...
PMEmail
^
summerrain
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 11:29 AM
Apprentice

75 Posts
420 Marks

NPCs Amalthea of Green Amalthesk and Barret of Blue Barresk
Tags: @Zane and open
Exploration day two.

They'd heard the screaming after they'd finished mapping their own rather muddy square. Seems the rumor about giant beasts was true after all. One of those giant snakes had gotten the girl. It had taken them a while to get her back, after cutting the snake off her. Amalthesk was carrying the girl, while Barresk carried the junglesnake's head in his mouth. The girl, who her partner Yendev and his Bronze wher Yendesk had said was called Janora, had begun to run a fever in the time they took to get back. The older man had been following behind the first two, as if he had wanted to guard their backs from any more of those damned snakes.

With nothing to obscure their path once they finally broke free of the tree line, the rest of the way was done at a trot for the two whers, with their bondeds jogging along next to them. They directed themselves toward where the healers had set up their camp, hoping one would meet them on the way. It was well after dark, but with the glows and the reflected light from their whers' eyes, it was easy to spot anything that might've tripped them. Well, here at least, with the moon glimmering overhead. It was much harder to see in the depths of the forest.

"We need a healer!" Barret yelled, his tenor voice carrying well over the camp, when they approached the healers. He was worried for this girl. She was small, and they'd never experienced this creature before. Who was to say that its venom was similar to anything else either? Barresk had kept hold of the beast's head this whole time, on the off chance that the healers could use it to test antidotes, and finally dropped it, grimacing at the taste.

Blood not poison, he assured Barret when the handler looked back worriedly. Just taste bad.

"She was bitten by one of the junglesnakes," Barret said when a healer came over. "Uh, Barresk brought the head back if you want it...?" The last statement turned into a question as he realized how silly it might seem for his wher to bring back the head of a giant snake. Amalthea had stayed relatively quiet since freeing the girl, and he was a little concerned for her as well. She hadn't been bit, but that didn't mean she was unaffected by this situation.

PM
^
Raining
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 12:19 PM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks

Da'on of Blue Roiath (Healer)
Tag: @RhiaBlack and @Captain (O'men and Zaela)
Notes: this post is 85% useless.

Da'on had been looking over a pretty gross rash on a redhandler before the pink burst in.

"What did you touch?"
"If I knew that I would have brought it with me." Replied the redhandler in an even tone, with patient notes. Da'on expression fell into exasperation before a smirk pulled at a corner of his lips, "Mm fair enough." The bluerider applied salve to hopefully take away some of the swelling and itching. But without knowing what kind of plant it was, he couldn't make a more effective one.

"I suppose my advice to you, if you both plan on gallivanting back out there... Please use protection if you plan on experimenting," a falsely polite smile was thrown at Raistlin, who shrugged delicately, "and please come back to see me if it gets any worse. Perhaps a botanist will have isolated which plant you brushed up against, if it hasn't gone away on its own."

"Of course."

Roiath. Do not touch the angry wher.
I have not seen a red wher up close. Such a small bundle of anger, how does she contain it?

"He's fine, as long as he doesn't touch her," Raistlin added in, picking up what was going on, and the irrate look on Da'on's face at the Blue in question.
"He doesn't have to touch her to be extremely irritating. Back off Roiath, please."

Roiath huffed, pulling his head away from Raisk who had her teeth bared and muscles coiled, If I must--

Netkistuth burst onto the scene and Da'on watched as his husband and Ketserututh rushed in to go help, along with a couple of handlers. Da'on stood and eyed the red and gold handlers, "remember kids, don't touch weird things."

-----------

Da'on was at O'men's side almost immediately, and then was off to grab the hotwater. Not everyone could get away with ordering this Journeyman around like an apprentice, but O'men wasn't just anyone. The bluerider had done as he was instructed, and it was good they had water heating on standby, just in case.

The bluerider set up extra supplies around O'men. Numbweed, the requested redwort and water, more needles and suture thread etc etc. He made up a fellis drink to give the pinkrider if she gained consciousness and the pain was too much. Then Da'on pulled a stool next to O'men, with a redwort soaked gauze to soak up the blood that still happened to ooze, steady hands and positioning made sure he wasn't hindering O'men while he worked on delicate places. "Once the bleeding is under control, we may need to even that up..." he suggested quietly, either saw off where the bone broke off awkwardly or just dull the edges so it doesn't heal awkwardly.

Roiath settled on the pink's otherside, but not as closely as Ket, he didn't wish to smother her -- but he was there if she needed the comfort.

Da'on was there if O'men needed anything, until Zaela was in the clear and a second pair of hands wasn't needed.

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 01:57 PM
Weyrling

499 Posts
180 Marks

NPC Janora of burgundy Falkreath
@summerrain @RhiaBlack @Raining (Healer needed!)
Expedition Day 2 - evening

The slight woman was at a disadvantage, given the poison that was likely working through her system. She could feel the junglesnake's body threatening to crush her every bone. It sunk it's teeth in her shoulder, causing her to cry out. The pain was excruciating, and there was no doubt that the jungle-monster would have ended her life were it not for Yendev's blade. The older man stabbed the snake clear through the head, and so it went limp. It's jaws fell from the back of her head, but Janora herself fell.

Janora! Get her back now! the burgundy ordered the harper and his bronze. Thankfully there were others, another pair of handlers, who heard their cries...

The wher pair accompanied Yendev and Yensk back to the base, where a healer was called for. The snake-head was brought back with them, given that it could lead to a possible antidote for Janora. Falkreath landed hard in the bowl, rearing up on hind legs whilst beating his wings anxiously. Help her! Mine needs immediate attention! There is no time! Attend to her, now! His mind voice rang out to all in the bowl. If they did not find a cure, His would not make it. Without her his own life, likewise, would end... He could not lose her... This couldn't be the end of them--no, they were better than this!

The trip back was rough, and Janora was out cold. Her body was limp, and growing cold. There were telltales signs of the bite begin to develop on her body. Her shoulder was a bloody mess. Her head, thankfully, was intact. Her dark, curly, hair stuck to the sides of her face as the fever set on. She covered in sweat, murmuring to herself in hushed tones. Would this venture truly be the end of her? She had wanted to make history-to be someone more than what she was-and now she was on deaths door. Falkreath... If only she could comfort her bonded.

"My lady... I'm here," Yendev reassured her, grabbing for the woman's hand. He should have protected her... He should have managed to kill the snake before it got to her! I've made a grave mistake Yensk. I've failed her.
I who fail Yendev. Yensk was ahead. Yensk should have gotten to in time.
PM
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 03:39 PM
Alphahandler

1214 Posts
4530 Marks

Expedition Day 2; nighttime.
Healers needed: severe allergic reaction!
@Raining @RhiaBlack @Tigersilk Also open to NPC healers if everyone else is busy.

Strong arms had plucked her up and carried her to an area where his viridian could reach them, the rider pulling her up onto his dragon and depositing them at Grove for the healers to tend to. There was no strength left in her body, if not for E'do picking her up from the flooded grounds she likely would not have made it back to Grove. Certainly her wher had tried to grab hold and drag her but the waterlogged ground was hard terrain to cover with unrelenting rain pelting down upon them. Had she been able to grab hold of Vessk they would have made it - but that was neither her nor there. Breathing was extremely difficult but she could breathe which was better than the alternative. Immediately questions flooded in from healers and non-healers alike.

'Was it a snake?'
'Did you see what did this?'
'Did she eat a strange plant?'
'What did she touch?'

Surely they could not expect her to respond, her tongue was swollen to the point words would not come easily until the swelling subsided - whenever that may be. Eyes were swollen, her left completely shut and her lips felt like a wherspot's beak with how far they jutted out from their normal position on her face. E'do would be left to answer for her, a possibly chilling answer when they all found out she was having a reaction to bug bites and not a snake bite or even a brush with some terrible new flora. Bugs were literally everywhere, surely questions would pop up following the revelation - was this something only she had to fear or was it something all of them would have to contend with should they be bitten? A tanner from Dalibor had been bitten a number of times, someone might recall, and not had a reaction at all. Were they in danger or safe though? That would be the question on peoples' minds as Vessa was rushed past in order to find a healer.

Unlike the mild rash suffered by a redhandler the day before her reaction was severe. Discolored and swollen blotches covered most of her body, once set up on a cot and undressed it would become more apparent how terrible it was though even that was not the most alarming part of it all. Arms, legs, torso, neck, even her face were swollen in patches and her fingers twitched as she tried to fight off the urge to scratch at all of them. Some were already raw from her itching on the way from the jungle to the base camp set up at Grove, seeping both red and clear fluids from the wounds. Body shook and twitched as someone held her down, propping her up and tilting her head back so she could breathe easier; it wasn't much but it felt better than nearly suffocating.

Vessk was far from helpful as she charged around slamming her head into legs as she tried to nudge people towards Hers, VESSK'S NEED HELP. Eyes swirled red and orange as she ran from one person to the next, nearly in a panic because of how difficult it was for Vessa to breathe and how her body felt itchy and on fire. Some of the healers were the same as those that tended to Janora earlier in the day; apparently there was no rest for those who chose helping people as their vocation. Why did Hers look the way she did right now? She didn't know and not knowing was terrifying. Vessa be okay, strong woman. Vessk here. Vessk always be here. No be going no where. Vessa stay too. Go back see dragonman. Make Vessa happy, be safe with. No should come. As excited as she had been to start the green was now regretting having talked Vessa into going. Obviously this place was terrible.

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 04:13 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

O'men of Cyan Ketserututh (Healah!)
@Ivy

O'men had been run to an absolute frazzle the last several days. It was a good thing he'd come along with Da'on; the prospect of his husband and the handful of other Healers present being the only ones to handle this deluge of patients would have been a nightmare. People certainly would have died, and they'd been lucky so far. Only one, so he'd heard, but he didn't have the chance to follow up on it.

There was entirely too much to do.

He was collided with by a Green wher, and it took him more than a moment to register that it was Vessk. Vessa? Ket's growl was low-tone and vicious; she didn't take terribly kindly to Hers being effectively manhandled by anything, even the men he was married to, but O'men understood the wher's panic. He dropped a hand to the top of her head, giving her a scratch before he pushed off the stool he'd been sitting on and tending another far more minor injury, to follow the Green to where Vessa was very obviously having some sort of reaction.

He knew she wasn't dumb; she wouldn't have eaten anything without knowing what it was first, and so he ruled out consumption as soon as he saw her. E'do betrayed that it was bug bites, and given the other man also appeared to have some of his own and wasn't in such a state, either they hadn't been bitten by the same things, or she simply had the worse, and more immediate, reaction.

"Strip her down to her underclothes, we need to get her into a bath, the coldest water you can get. I need to get the mud off of her, and find out where those bites are, as well as possibly getting a tube in her throat to help her breathe if we have to. Everyone out if you're not a healer or not with family. Go. You can ask questions when she's better."

He lifted her up, settling her on a cot and beginning to look at her hands, pulling her eyelids up slightly so that he could get a look at her pupils for the swollen state of them.

"I know you can't talk," he spoke up, settling his hands to either side of her jaw, just below at her neck, and pressing her lymph nodes to check if they were swollen; and if so, how badly. "I want you to nod yes or no at me, and if you start to hurt worse, squeeze my arm. Right here at the elbow, you won't have to put much pressure on it and I can feel it." He left her less-publicly-acceptable parts covered with her underclothes, but checked them to make sure no other insects had made their way in, or were lingering there.

"I'm going to put you in a cold bath; the water won't be terribly cold since we don't have anything here to help with that, but it should clean off the grit and I'll be able to see the bites a bit better. It should also take the heat out of your tissues, and help with the swelling. You're going to have trouble breathing, but if it gets any worse, you need to let me know. As long as you still can, and it's not getting worse, I don't want to do too much. I don't know if what we have will make it worse, so if I can avoid that, the better, right?"

He asked her several questions. Did her joints hurt, and if so, which ones? Could she see, outside of what the swollen eyes caused? He moved his finger to and fro to have her follow it, and then checked her ears, her hands, her feet, her back, all before she was slipped into the water. He'd buried it partially in the ground, using the natural lower temperature of the earth to help keep it colder than the surrounding water.

He mixed some crushed, powdered lavender flowers with a very, very tiny amount of fellis, then poured it in small amounts into her mouth to run down her throat until it was gone; the former would help with the swelling and pain, and the latter would relax muscles that weren't doing anything to help her breathe. In his past experience, most of the additional complications with any sort of reaction, was the panic that set in, which often made everything worse.

"Relax, as best as you can. You're here, you're safe, and I'm the last person in the world who is going to let you die. Not on my watch, okay?" He squeezed her hand, kneeling by the basin. "Vessk certainly isn't, either. If I have to put a tube in your throat so you can breathe, I will, but I'm hoping it won't resort to that. Once some of the swelling is down, we'll put some salve on it to stop the itching, I can't tell what's from you scratching and what's actual rash, so I need you not to scratch. If it helps, we can tie your hands."

O'men kept a close eye on both Vessa, as well as Vessk. The latter could talk where Hers couldn't, and if something was going wrong or she was struggling even worse to breathe, the Green would be the first indication.

"Vessk, watch her. Very closely. If she keeps having more trouble breathing, you let me know, all right? I'm going to be watching her, too, but you're bonded to her, so you'll know before I will, right?"

He had drudges change out the water every fifteen minutes; take out the warmed stuff that was dirty, put in clean, colder stuff that would continue to help with the swelling. He wasn't going anywhere until the swelling had subsided, he'd salved her, and she obviously was having an easier time breathing. Until that happened? She got a very taken, very tall Rider to look at.

PM
^
Harbinger
 Posted: Oct 26 2017, 05:58 PM
Priderunner

55 Posts
25 Marks

@Captain @RhiaBlack and any healers not busy

Day 1
NPC C'laen

The Brownrider managed to grit his teeth against the pain in his arm, only grunting rather than screaming about the limp, uneven limb that was certainly not supposed to bend that way. There was blood. So much blood. It couldn't be his, right? There was one bone sticking out, but...

Mine. We will be fine, Mine. We - we dropped something. The Brown turned his head, watching a... a hand fall from somewhere.

"Shards!" C'laen spat, catching the thoughts of his dragon but being completely unable to do anything about it. It wasn't his hand, at least, which meant it had to come ... come from Zaela.

C'laen didn't have any curses strong enough for that realization.

Aakavath finally landed near the healers' station, reporting to the dragons gathered that there were more casualties. How C'laen managed to get down with only one working arm he never could remember, but at least he didn't fall. He left his dragon kneading the soil in worry, stumbling towards the healers. There she was, his partner, bleeding out from a stump of an arm. \

Shards, shells, fire, fog, and fall.

Harbinger's Hoard
Come plot with me!
PM
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 27 2017, 12:26 AM
Alphahandler

1214 Posts
4530 Marks

Expedition Day 2: fluid time probably evening?
Healer needed! NPCs welcome.

Things had been going smoothly, until they weren't anymore. Somehow he made it back to camp - some combination of Ridesk's assistance as well as Carissa's no doubt. Claws had left long trails down his form and rendered a good portion of his clothing along his back and chest into ribbons. Stitches would undoubtedly be needed for the flesh beneath, that and a good amount of fellis and numbweed for sure. Somehow he was still conscious and trying to smile despite the intense pain he was clearly in, blood soaked into the ruined fabric as the weakened handler made it to a healer's cot before collapsing.

Ridesk watched carefully, keeping out of the way and not lashing out like others might have. Instead she was her for two reasons: to ensure her handler would survive and to learn how humans went about mending such wounds. Her mind pressed against Rider's as he clung to the edges of consciousness, reassuring him in her own clinical way that she was there for him. Words were not needed; their bond was enough.

PM
^
Ivy
 Posted: Oct 27 2017, 07:23 PM
Alphahandler

1214 Posts
4530 Marks

Expedition Day 2:

A reassuring hand fell upon the green’s head and she immediately felt slightly calmer; it was not enough to take the edge from her fear but it helped substantially as she stopped crashing into people and led O’men to Vessa. The healer jumped to work on the woman and while she could not speak she could hear just fine - he’d said something about a tube down her throat? No thank you, she would take the lightheadedness and short shallow breaths over that any day. It was the fear of the tube that kept her from panicking and trying to force more breath into her lungs. Vessk’s grounding presence helped as well as she counted in her head with every breath. She could breathe and that’s all she needed to think about; she didn’t need to concentrate on the fact she couldn’t breathe well, just that she could at all. A tear trickled down her cheek from her normal eye as she laid there letting O’men do what he needed to take care of her. Hands worked to pull her clothing free leaving her mostly bare to the world, all of the bites were red and swollen, some were even a tad purple and all appeared rather angry looking. Many of the bites were warm to the touch and her hands twitched, right one lifting to scratch over one on her stomach.

Listening intently and staring at him with her one good eye she nodded once he was done explaining what his plans were to help her. It sounded good to her - she was no healer and could only rely on his expertise in this area. She followed his finger with her eyes when instructed, nodded no when he asked about any pain in her joints (though all of her was fairly worn out and sore, but that’s not what he asked), and tried to put on a brave smile - only to fail thanks to her swelling. Lymph nodes were checked for swelling - there definitely was some, but that was from her allergies, right? His hands gingerly worked over her as he checked her from head to toe and then picked her up as if she were nothing in order to slowly ease her into the bath. The water wasn’t cold but it was considerably cooler than the moist jungle air and she gasped to the extent she could before closing her eyes and nodding. Relax, as if it was that easy. Of course she would try, it’s not like she had anything else she could do. Walking around on her own was out of the question until she could breathe well enough that she wasn’t at risk of possibly passing out from over exerting herself. The fact she could only see well from one eye also threw a wrench into the notion she’d be up and about on her own.

Water drew the mud and muck off of her skin as the clear liquid slowly turned a milky brown color. At the squeeze to her hand she offered one back, it was soft but there all the same. It was so silly, being here because of a bunch of bugs while everyone else there had been attacked by giant snakes or huge felines… tiny bugs had taken her down. Releasing his hand she wiggled her fingers and toes, trying to take her mind off the itching. Cool water had certainly helped the intensity of the itch but it was there all the same. I doubt V’ael would appreciate me letting another man tie me up. Vessa flicked her good eye towards Vessk and the green snorted in response. Dragon man not here. He not know. If need for better, do. If dragon man complain Vessk bite. Vessa need be better now. Clearly not in the mood for joking around Vessk’s eyes swirled in brilliant hues of orange and yellow as she watched Hers soaking in the tub. As soon as Vessa’s left hand dipped into the water to scratch at her leg Vessk snorted again, Be tie Vessk’s. Say small dragon man live with not like her be tied by other bigger dragon man. Vessk say needs because still scratch after this dragon man tell not to. So tie Vessa, no scratch, be better sooner.

Incapable of expressing any real emotion through the disfiguring swelling Vessa just sat there, one of her short breaths sounding close to a sigh. Water was pulled from her bath only to be replaced with pitchers of cooler water to help take more heat from her splotchy skin. It took time but eventually she began to relax and the swelling decreased, the mixture he’d poured down her throat helping immensely. Vessa not want smaller dragon man to worry, wonder how long she will be like this. The thought had crossed her mind enough times for her green to speak up, nudging her head under O’men’s hand for more scritches. She could feel that Vessa was slowly beginning to feel a tad better and it helped calm her; the fact that he didn’t seem opposed to her presence near him was also nice.

Think Vessa keep this bigger dragon man instead small dragon man. Small dragon man no like Vessk. This dragon man good at heal too, make better. Important. Like him.

I’ll do us both a favor and not tell V’ael you wanted me to dump him in order to shack up with someone else. It might hurt his feelings to know you don’t like him.

Vessk like all, silly. He no like Vessk. Big problem. No want hatchlings either. Vessa want hatchlings long as Vessk have Vessa. Settling down the orange was slowly beginning to ease from her eyes as she kept her gaze focused on Vessa in the tub. Another water change came and went, the handler following the drudge with her good eye for some time after he walked away. Breathing was still difficult but she felt less tightness in her throat, whatever O’men had given her to drink seemed to be helping on that front.

I can live without having kids. Closing her eyes she leaned her head back on the edge of the tub, shaking slightly as pain shot through a number of her bites and the temptation to itch skyrocketed. You know as well as I do why I keep picking him over a family.

Love dragon man who not love back not good for Vessa.

A change of subject was in order, Ask O’men how long I need to be in the water, my toes are beginning to prune up. While her wher’s chosen subject of conversation made her uncomfortable and had the worst timing ever it did help to keep her mind off of the pain, heat, swelling, and itching. Opening her eyes she was happy to find the swelling in the one eye was going down. Not by much but she could tell the difference in how tight the skin felt. It was hard to tell due to the heat and swelling all over but she felt as if she was getting warmer even in the cool bath. Probably just her imagination though, she was pretty worn out from her evening thus far.

Vessa prune. Want know how long in water before better.

@RhiaBlack

PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 28 2017, 12:10 AM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary at camp. Some people asking for herbs to help cool them down. Some aches and pains.

Janora was taking a turn for the worse in the Healer Camp. Her fever was spiking well beyond what even normal medicine was able to handle. She'd become delirious, at times she had to be restrained to keep from throwing herself to the floor. Likewise her dragon had to be kept under constant surveillance lest he lose his mind and cause harm to himself or others. Healers were truly understanding that it was do or die.

ooc note:
This has nothing to do with any missing Healer posts, this would have happened anyway!

@Zane @Raining

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 28 2017, 08:08 AM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

O'men had branched off while Vessa was soaking to try and assist the others where necessary. Janora was a hot mess, quite literally, and he spent a considerable part of his time not with her or dealing with various quickly-handled scrapes and wounds to help tend to her.

The number of crush-related injuries was immense, and after dealing with Zaela's destroyed arm - having to clean up the end as Da'on had suggested, which had re-opened vessels and veins; only this time, it was a controlled setting and he'd managed to find a pair of tweezers he could heat in a flame enough to both sterilize and cauterize individual bleeding points. He'd knocked her out with Fellis to prevent the pain from being overwhelming, and Ket lingered by Netkisuth to keep the Pink calm while the procedure went on.

He had Da'on dealing with Janora initially, once they discussed the matter; he wanted to check in with Vessa and make sure nothing was causing undue stress with her, and that the swelling wasn't getting any worse. He trusted his husband's judgment, for obvious reasons - Da'on was a Journeyman, as well, and no shiftkick when came to Healercraft. He knew his stuff, O'men knew as much and had witnessed it first-hand. Janora's fever wasn't going down as quickly as he wanted it to, so he had Ammit between back to Dalibor. A quick relay of information via images, and O'men had brought to him a perhaps surprising assistant.

From between, Tryonilth and C'lainn popped into being with the Purple firelizard, carting two sizable things - the first, a large chunk of sea-ice between his front paws. The back ones, contained a hide laden with snow.

Naturally, the latter would melt quickly, but the former was a bit slower to do so; O'men ventured out to retrieve both his pet as well as direct some of the drudges to scoop some of the snow into buckets.

Much as he had with Vessa - and with the Greenhandler, herself - he poured some of the snow into the water she was soaking within, adding some of the ice taken out with a pickaxe. He'd tied her hands, as Vessk had suggested, to keep her from scratching. Perhaps not the reason he liked tying anyone down, but it was a necessity.

"Perhaps," he grinned at Vessk. "Though I suspect my husband-" he gestured towards Da'on, "--might have some questions if I start bringing very lovely ladies home to bed with him and with our other, Bosk and Bozidar..." He winked, scratching at Vessk's neck and shoulders with a smile.

Janora earned a bath, herself, though hers was significantly colder. With Da'on's assistance, he hoisted the badly-injured Burgundyrider into another basin brought in and partially-buried, as Vessa's had been. Snow and clean water were added, and then chunks of sea-ice; they had to get her fever down, and quickly. Too hot, and he knew it would disrupt the overall temperature of her body and do damage to her brain and spinal cord, let alone her internal organs.

He had only requested C'lainn on the one trip; the other Burgundyrider was already dealing with an injured 'mate, and thus, O'men didn't want to take him away from her terribly long. He would, however, sequester other Riders who wouldn't mind running relay-duty to keep the ice and snow supply on-hand for both current and future injuries that required it.

Ketserututh lingered outside, staying by Janora's Burgundy to offer comfort where she could. She bumped the drake's neck and shoulder with her nose, nibbling along his neck ridges and curling her frame around him as much as possible to try and soothe what worry she could.

O'men returned to Vessa when her swelling had gone down enough for him, and helped her very carefully out of the bath; drying her off, he put her in a dressing gown, getting her into a cot. Settling to a stool, he scratched Vessk's headknobs and neck when she nudged her head up under his hand, a slow grin crossing his lips.

"I'm going to put some salve on you, it should help with the itching, and help pull out any residual insect-saliva or toxins that are causing your reaction. They should help stop the want to scratch, but if it doesn't, or it gets worse, let me know, all right?"

He looked exhausted. Sleep was an impossibility as of late, not with so many people being injured, but he never complained. This was what he lived for, and once they'd completed the expedition, he fully intended to pull Da'on and Bo into bed and sleep for a sevenday. Da'on, he was sure, would also need it as much as he did.

@Raining - for Da'on
@Zane - for Janora
@Ivy - for Vessa

Sorry for the non-bolding, I MUST FLEE TO WERKS. Let me know if anything doesn't work! :3

PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 12:12 AM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

Another day dawns.

Janora surprises probably no one, and takes a turn for the even worse. By midday she is coughing up masses of gelatinous...something...from deep inside her lungs. That's when she's awake or lucid enough to cough. When she isn't, she begins drowning within minutes, and requires someone to clear her airways almost constantly by rolling her from side to side so she has a chance of expelling whatever is in her lungs out. The ice helps, and it might be one of the only things keeping her alive. Luckily they've just found a whole lot of it down South last evening.

Vessa surprises everyone by succumbing to a deep fever. She becomes delirious. It won't take very long for the Healers to realize that she has contracted what Janora has, and that means whatever it is--is airborne, or possibly spread through the water and ice being used if any of the Apprentices made a mistake. It only takes a glance at Janora to wonder if Vessa will share her fate.

Healers & Others who have had any contact with Janora or Vessa over the past few days are now noticing that they too are running a fever. It is low, like Vessa's was at first. So low that hers wasn't caught behind the allergy. The Crafters and workers who had only been complaining of feeling hot yesterday, are now admitting themselves with fevers as well. Some seem to be as bad as Vessa, some seem even worse.

As more and more people come forward, it's obvious that something is really going around at Camp, but just when everyone thinks it couldn't get worse, a message arrives from Dalibor:

All is well. Some folks with a fever, but that's normal for the cold season.

@RhiaBlack @Raining @summerrain @Zane @Ivy
@Everyone basically

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 12:29 AM
Weyrling

499 Posts
180 Marks

TW: GRAPHIC CONTENT
Yendev and Yensk were no more. The bugs seeped into the mans nose and eyes. They crawled out the bronzehandler's mouth as his wher, in an effort to save him, mauled him to death. The mans remains were in shreds and pieces all over the jungle floor. The bugs, as if sensing that the flesh of the man was no longer viable, came to fill every nook and cranny of the bronze whers form. They ate him alive, leaving him screaming into the night air.

Jo'van and Kynareth burst from /between/. The black was wrapped in vines, and bugs infested them. His rider, likewise infested, was clutched between his paws. When the pair of them came crashing into the bowl, the black dragon slid a ways. He landed on his side, so as not to crush his rider. The man tried to scream, but he knew that doing so would have the bugs filling his mouth. He clawed at his face in an effort to dispel them. Kynareth was already out, like a light, the vines strangulating the black to the point of death. The bugs crawled into his nose, and eyes, and stole the air from the blacks lungs. He was no more... Kynareth was dead...

Jorvan, once Jo'van, could still be saved. If the healers got to him in time, and he was separated from the bugs. There was still a chance for him! He would never be the same. He would always be broken. A man, never again whole. There was still a man in there, however... There was still a man, somewhere, beyond the hoard of man-eating bugs. He reached a hand up, still in the clutches of his dragons claws, hoping for someone to see him.

@Healers - Healers required! Hoping to save Jorvan!

~*~

Falkreath was enraged, how couldn't he be? There was nothing he could do for his rider, and she was in so much pain--they both were. The burgundy shuddered, curling up in a ball like a lost kitten. He slapped his tail over his nose and keened, as if death had come knocking. Ketserututh was his only saving grace, for he felt completely alone, as if his ties with Janora had been cut. Despite, he could feel her pain... stronger than ever.

Janora was in and out of consciousness since having been brought to the camp. The slight woman thrashed about in confusion, screaming bloody murder each time the pain overtook. There was nothing anyone could do; not a healer alive could quell the searing fire that burned inside of her. She could scarcely locate the point of origin, for everything hurt and her head was swimming with delusions. Her hallucinations made her blink hard, tears bleeding out of her eyes whilst she gave her head a shake. "No... No," she kept repeating over and over again, but whatever thing she was denying was impossible to place. Da'on and O'men would have had her undying gratitude, were she able to communicate at all. She would forever be in their debt, if she made it through this.

In the day to come, the moments she was coherent enough to open her eyes were spent dispelling a... Faranth, she didn't even know what. It didn't matter, because it was choking her to death and she wanted it out! When the healers made their rounds she would grab at their sleeves, and grip as tight as she may, staring up at them with a most deadpan expression as if death had already taken her. "Don't... let it..." She was pleading for her life. She didn't have time to grieve for the weak soul she had become. She felt so detached from Falkreath, that some days she wondered if he was there at all. Had he left her? Why couldn't she hear him?

@RhiaBlack - for O'men & Ketserututh
PM
^
summerrain
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 12:52 AM
Apprentice

75 Posts
420 Marks

Amalthea of Green Amalthesk, Barret of Blue Barresk
@ Healer person(s)

"What are you talking about?" Amalthea asked Barret. "Sorry, my mind's been kind of fuzzy all night..." Amalthesk's eyes were slowly whirling a dangerous grey color, and suddenly the Green was in front of Amalthea as she collapsed forward. Barret, also suffering of the same fever, didn't react fast enough to catch her.

Amalthesk's sick, the wher said quickly. She could feel that Amalthea's temperature was much higher than it should've been. She was out cold, and Amalthesk could feel the faint life force still blinking within her handler. It was just a few moments later that Barresk nudged her aside, getting himself into place to catch his person when Barret also passed out from the suddenly spiking fever.

To healer-person-place Barresk told the Green. Amalthesk nodded and the two made their way carefully to the healer's camp. Barresk nudged the nearest healer who wasn't hovering over a patient. Barresk's and Amalthesk's sick, he informed the healer. Sick like venom-bite-rider-girl, but not bit. Others had already died in this expedition, and the whirling greys in both whers eyes silently spoke of the fear that their human partners would be next.

Keep Amalthesk's and Barresk's not apart, please? Amalthesk asked, her little voice full of worry and practically begging the healer in question to keep the two Handlers near each other. She wanted to be close to all three of the ones she cared for, and that couldn't happen if the healers separated Amalthea and Barret.

PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 07:32 AM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

O'men sent word to Dalibor immediately, that the relays of go-betweens of both Riders, Handlers, and Weyrfolk had communicated the sickness currently spreading through camp. His directives were simple; notify the Master Healer Tedaon, and let him know that it spread through contaminated water and air. He'd know what to do there - obviously, the only thing they could really do was quarantine the infected the best he could.

He and Da'on both had been around the infected people, and thus, he treated them as infected; a bucket of redwort was set up, changed out continuously, and it was that he washed his hands in almost religiously. Masks were worn over his nose and mouth, and everyone who had fallen ill with even the slightest stuffy nose was required to do the same. Those too sick to wash their hands, were given redwort baths. O'men could take no chances.

Ketserututh knew Hers' biggest concern, but neither of them spoke it. It was easier to worry for those who were very clearly much worse off, and attempt to ensure they didn't pass on. Constantly washing his hands and wearing a sash of cloth around his hairline and forehead to keep the sweat from dripping down his face, the Cyanrider tried to push the illness he was coming down with out of his thoughts.

There was so much to do. There was just so much to do, and everything he had hoped that he and Da'on wouldn't be as terribly sick as Janora and Vessa. The ice-baths continued for Janora, and he began giving her tiny doses of Fellis with lavender and mint to try and bring her internal fever down, counter the fluid filling her lungs, and Ket was a near constant companion to her Burgundy. Zaela was slathered in redwort, as well, and a mask placed over her face; she was warned that the infection was spreading, and that if she returned from here to Dalibor, that she would most likely be placed in quarantine until it was known whether or not she carried the illness, as well.

He sent no word to Bozidar. All it would do is worry their other husband, and right now, there was so much to take care of that there was no way he had the time. Messages were sent to surrounding, already-established Weyrs whose borders interceded the jungle; we are consumed with a mysterious illness. He listed the symptoms, what they were doing, and requested if they had prior experience with it, to please tell them how to heal it.

If O'men knew nothing else, it was that Pern provided the cure for everything that had ever ailed it, primarily in the region by which the infection sourced. There had to be a plant of some kind, somewhere out in the massive expanse, that could counter what was happening here. They only had to find it, and that, therein, was the issue - especially given the Weyr itself was still so new, that it wasn't likely anyone from here had ever encountered it before.

He ensured that every firelizard sent had been given a redwort bath to disinfect them, as well as the hidescrolls written upon were soaked with it and let dry before being written upon and sent. He penned the letters with disinfected hands and utensils; the last thing he wanted was this mess to spread elsewhere. Suddenly, they were facing an epidemic of colossal proportions, and the last thing he wanted to do was lose more people on the account of carelessness.

Farmcrafters were instructed to do every bit of research they could muster the ability to do, on every herb that had been brought back from the jungle. He needed answers, and he needed them now, before they lost anyone else to this. All the while, O'men didn't panic. There wasn't any time for panic, now was the time for action. They could panic later.

"You are probably going to get just as sick," he told Vessa grimly, exhaustion settling into his very bones, but he couldn't stop. He wouldn't stop. "I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure nobody else dies from this mess. I'm going to give you a stack of cloths; make sure you cough into those, and not into your hands without washing them with the redwort after. We don't want any of this to spread further, and we're still trying to figure out how it's been communicated."

O'men spent a great deal of time with the pair of them; when the screaming from outside and the dead dragon appeared, the shouting of bugs, bugs served to force O'men to find a flamethrower, and rush out towards the downed man. As drudges used a broom to brush the insects off of Jorvan, O'men set them aflame, careful not to let any of them touch himself, nor let the flames hit the injured now-former Rider or the drudges trying to assist.

"Get him inside!" O'men shouted, on standby with the flamethrower near the Black to keep any wayward bugs from migrating to anyone else. Scarabs. Beetles of any kind terrified him, and he was fighting every urge he had to scream just to get rid of them. He could feel them crawling on his skin, under his skin, and there wasn't even any on him. Once Jorvan had been pried free of his deceased dragon's body, freed from the insects, and stripped down to be checked for any remaining ones, he was taken inside to be seen to.

O'men put someone else on standby to flame the insects that crawled out and around, and only when the Black's body was free of them, did he send someone to take the poor creature between.

As Amalthea and Barret entered, they, too, were given a cot, bathed in redwort, and their whers were allowed - of course - to linger with them, so long as they stayed out of the way. O'men added them both to those he was seeing to, though everyone collectively was being tended by every Healer available.

@Boo - for Tedaon
@Raining - Da'on
@Ivy - Vess
@Zane - Janora/Jarvon
@summerrain - Amalthea/Barret
@Ruin - CAUSE WHY NOT XD

((I think that's all of them, I hope XD. SOMEONE BRING SOME HEALERS IN PLOX, my poor BB is overwhelmed XD!))

PM
^
Raining
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 11:29 AM
Wingrider

1370 Posts
230 Marks

[Da'on, Healer]
Tags: @Zane (Janora), @RhiaBlack (O'men), @Everyone pretty much.
Notes: This is going to be a mess, because I missed so much.

As soon as the snake's head came in with a rider who was in one of the worst ways. The way Janora was presenting... was it venom? But Da'on knew absolutely nothing about snakes. The way the burgundy rider was... it could have easily been infection. But he needed to know for sure, if it was the former... they'd need to ship her out, fast. Thankfully Sebolaren was here, so Da'on looked for his advice almost immediately, as he was tending to the Burgundy Rider.

The verdict?
It wasn't venomous.

Infection then, and it wasn't mild by any means...

People just kept coming... and Da'on was at O'men's side if he was able to.

There was talk of people feeling hot and Da'on initially dismissed it, because like O'men he was running around trying to keep a semblance of control amid all this chaos. Charts were asked, repeatedly, to be updated accordingly. Especially if Da'on hadn't initially saw to them. Time and treatment, to be kept with the patient at all times. It was perhaps a bit obsessively compulsive of him to snip. He knew that sometimes there wasn't time, but it was best to document everything just in case.

Things only got worse. Janora and Vessa's condition's worsened... and soon everyone who had any contact with these two -- no everyone that Da'on dismissed as its-a-sharding-jungle-of-course-you're-feeling-hot, they were running fevers too.

His hands were dry and stained from repeated washings, and there was a mask on almost at all times.

Da'on was at Janora's side, like clockwork... especially when her lungs began to fill up. She was no longer allowed flat on her back. He put down the basin after helping her get cleaned up immediately after her coughing fit. "Shh darling... easy easy. We got you," he'd tell her gently. She probably wasn't lucid enough to understand him, but if she was.. if there was a part of her that was still there... she'd at least know she wasn't alone.

How's Hers, Roi?

Roiath was nearby Ket and Falkreath, in case Ketserututh needed to move. He looked over at the burgundy, afraid. Da'on, you should sit down. You're not--
I'm fine, Roiath, and I can't
The dragon didn't argue, he knew His was needed, but he too felt the heat from His, just as easily as Da'on felt the underlying chill and ache that accompanied fevers. But if he sat down for more than a moment, that'd give him too much time to think.

There were still more fevers to tend to, and more fever reducing herbs to be brought in for teas, tonics and others for salves.

O'men was shooed away from, things Da'on could add to his own plate (which wasn't much more) but Da'on knew that everyone shared the workload. He was worried about O'men, they hadn't had much time to properly talk, and de-stress.

The bluerider and one other took on the responsibility to take Kynareth between. If anything it was the cold snap of between that was a brief relief from all of that. It was clear that if something wasn't done about this... growing epidemic, they were most likely going to be seeing more like Janora. Da'on was thankful he didn't give himself a moment to think, because drowning in his own fluid was nearly enough to shut his mind down and panic. But like O'men, there wasn't enough time to panic.

Water was given out, to keep everyone hydrated. Even the working staff, and especially the patients. It was now voluntary. The drudges that didn't want to risk getting sick, weren't forced to help.

A large mug of water was shoved at O'men, once Da'on stopped him for a moment, pointing to another Healer, "handle it please," he told them, and to his husband. "O'men, drink. We can't have you collapsing."

PMWebsiteAIM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 01:12 PM
Betahandler

3062 Posts
649 Marks

Ulian had arrived early in the morning with a transport of medical supplies from Dalibor, and a willingness to help. It wasn't until much later in the evening that they'd gotten word that their home Weyr was now equally stricken by the spread of sickness. They wondered if they'd made the right choice coming here at all, when there might be as much need from where they'd left. Especially as they'd been urged to do so by somewhat selfish reasons. A conflict of interest, for shame.

One of the first things they did was to organize a list of those currently exhibiting symptoms. They ordered them from most ill to least, and in a way it read like those nearest to death and those currently safest.
  • Janora - Dragonrider - Stage Three - Fever, lung obstruction, delirium.
  • Varshim - Healercrafter - Stage Three - Fever, lung obstruction, delirium.
  • Toshia - Healercrafter - Stage Three - Fever, lung obstruction, delirium.
  • Wellum - Healercrafter - Stage Three - Fever, lung obstruction, delirium.
  • Borna - Healercrafter - Stage Three - Fever, lung obstruction, delirium.
  • Vessa - Wherhandler - Stage Two - Fever, delirium, lung rattle
  • Figban - Healercrafter - Stage Two - Fever, delirium, lung rattle
  • Noqu - Healercrafter - Stage Two - Fever, delirium, lung rattle
  • Casser - Healercrafter - Stage Two - Fever, delirium
  • Kyora - Bakercrafter - Stage Two - Fever, delirium
  • Ghell - Weyrfolk - Stage Two - Fever, delirium
  • Obanna - Weyrfolk - Stage Two - Fever, delirium
  • Amalthea - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Barret - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Q'ivi - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Mutorin - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • O'men - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Da'on - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Saraion - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Foem - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Rider - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Norla - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Ruoban - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Nisha - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • K'tallan - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • D'arbak - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Liszna - Dragonrider - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Wort - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Mally - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Tikgav - Wherhandler - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Darrian - Healercrafter - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Hojyorn - Healercrafter - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Parak - Healercrafter - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Willnaub - Healercrafter - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Sallava - Healercrafter - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Lorine - Weyrfolk - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Qall - Weyrfolk - Stage One - Fever, swelling
  • Feerga - Weyrfolk - Stage One - Fever, swelling

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
RhiaBlack
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 05:23 PM
Senior Weyrleader

3942 Posts
53 Marks

He felt it. It was kicking in, the only thing he suspected that had kept him going this long was that he was in relatively excellent health prior to infection. He took his own pulse, checked his lungs. Kept on top of it, checked Da'on visibly when he could. It was making him snappish, it was making him snarkier than usual.

But neither of them could afford to stop moving. Not now.
Not yet.

He thought of Bozidar. What would Bo do, if either of them came back? The answer was simple - they had to come back. They had to beat whatever this was, and when Da'on handed him off a mug of water, he hesitated to drink it. What if it was compromised? What if it was....he already had it. He already had whatever this was, both of them did, he could see the flush in his Bluerider's cheeks, his neck. Sharding shells between.

Wait a minute.
Wait. A. Minute.

What about betweening? O'men's brows furrowed as he looked towards Da'on, eyes glassed with fever, but he had that look. The one he knew that Da'on had witnessed countless times on him, especially in the Infirmary back home, when they'd been stuck on a diagnoses and he'd just puzzled something together.

He caught his husband's arm.

"Da'on....what if..." he paused to cough into his fist, putting the mug down with the other hand to wash both of them in redwort, almost instinctively by this point. "If women go Between to rid themselves of unwanted pregnancies, and if we do it to kill Thread, some of which has already eaten into us...." He rubbed his face against his shoulder to wipe away sweat into a redwort-damp towel. "What if we could kill this crap, or effectively slow it down, by spending maybe eight or ten beats Between? It's maybe a risk, it's potentially...well the other option right now is sitting here helpless waiting for the other Weyrs and Holds to get back to us, waiting for the Farmcrafters to find something, or waiting on people to..."

He didn't want to say it. Saying it, waiting for it, was admitting defeat. It was admitting he wasn't a good enough Healer to beat this, that he hadn't absolutely exhausted every modicum of option for them.

"I'm already sick. I want to try. I want to take Janora Between, with Ketserututh, and see if it works. Or perhaps on Falkreath, but I worry that they'll stay there if she's too far gone, and...." He wouldn't come back. And then Ket would be gone, too. O'men swallowed visibly.

"I need to talk to Ulian. Find out what they think. See if this is even feasibly wise, if they think she'd be able to hold on long enough, if it's even safe. But sharding shells, Da'on, I don't know what else to do, sitting here waiting, waiting, sharding waiting is driving me cracked..."

O'men's anger was rarely witnessed. Da'on had seen it once, Bo had never seen it that he could recall. Most people that knew him, that had ever met him, never had.

But sitting around waiting, it was making him furious. He lived to help people, to cure people, O'men subsisted on his ability to yank people back from the brink of disaster, and usually losing people didn't bother him as much as it did others.

In this case, however, losing people to this, meant that there was no cure. That he, that Da'on, that everyone present who was sick, was going to die.

That was a defeat he wasn't willing to cede. Not now, not ever.

As calm and collected as he appeared outwardly to everyone else, Da'on could see it. Da'on knew him. He knew.

The level of panic that was threatening O'men's mind was barely contained.

@Raining - Da'on
@Ruin - Ulian

PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates