April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Winter, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Red Ingoth

Upcoming Hatchings:

Winter is in full swing as the Northwest reaches the middle stages of the cold month, and Dalibor, taking full advantage of a crackdust filled break in Threadfall, is back at it again. Delving into the Southern ice and snow, they have paired with Grove Weyr to fully explore the lands they only slightly uncovered the previous turn during the Jungle Expedition. This, however, will not be a warm and relaxing waltz through the woods; although was it ever that to begin with?
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply
New Poll

Though you should know, WI:17 {During Expedition}
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 11:36 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3411 Posts
0 Marks
Member Inventory: View

It was an unexpected concern that plagued them as word from the South continued to come in with increasing frequency. More Healers were always needed, and while Ulian had not practiced in such a way since their Journeyman studies, that did not make them any less a Healer. Though they now wore Master's knots, it was not beneath them to help alongside seasoned Healers in their specialties much like a learning Apprentice. At the very least, they would be a rare Apprentice who was unlikely to kill a patient while the primary care-giver was with others, or resting.

Dalibor was quiet.

Blanketed in a thick layer of snow that seemed to dull the sounds of the world. It was peaceful. One of Ulian's most favourite times of the year. No Thread fell, no one was likely to die. Until this Expedition. Things were dangerous for Dragonriders, everyone knew it, but they couldn't make the concern stop nagging them. It was becoming something of a detriment to their typically calm interior. It was something they had to face head on and clear out if they were going to be of any help to anyone down at Grove.

So they packed a couple of bags and tied them to Rivath's saddle. Her eyes swirled a lazy rainbow of colour as she too looked out at the snow. Was she worried at all, or still basking in the joy of her children only a couple sevendays past, perhaps she knew that everything was okay and she simply had no way to convey that to her Rider. She was a puzzle, but no more than the puzzle of their concern and its unexpected arrival.

Before they left they swung by the Infirmary where Rivath had several more bags tied to the metal hooks and loops of her harness. Supplies for Grove--supplies to help Dalibor's own people falling ill with some mysterious malady. Then they were up and out, between and into the heat of the South. Ice on Rivath's paws sustained by the cold and dark seem to turn instantly to water, running in rivulets down her claws until the warmth burned all moisture away and left her dry for landing.

It was she who found the object of their nagging fears.

She came down lightly in the Bowl beside the Bluerider, a dainty hop was the end of a steep drop as she stretched out her limbs just long enough for Ulian to disembark and remove one of the smaller satchels before delicately winging her way to the Infirmary where the Weyrfolk and Apprentices could remove the marked medical bags. "Hi," they said awkwardly, their voice pitched softly due to how crowded everything seemed to be. They stood there for a long moment with nimble fingers looking very much like they were going to strangle the bag they were holding, saying nothing at all.

"I brought this for you," came suddenly rather than anything else, and they held it out. "A few skins of redwort from my own private stores. Some medicinals to help stave off...hopefully whatever is happening. I..um." Hopefully W'ryn accepted the gesture, which would leave Ulian's hands free to twine together while an uncomfortable silence might've pulled out between them if the Bluerider was equally silent. This was so unlike them, to be so...out of sorts, they couldn't help but offer a rueful smile.

"I just wanted you to know. You both to know, that you were wonderful. During Rivath's Flight. I was...very happy to see you there. This thing happening, it isn't good, and if something were to happen to Rivath and I...I just wanted you to know." Another tiny stumble, and the typically composed Healer seemed to suck in their bottom lip and chew on it briefly. "It was my fault she didn't pick Earth. I saw you and you seemed so very afraid. I had...well, it made me think. I didn't want that to be our first." The words hung in the air and then a horror seemed to spread over Ulian's face, followed by a deep rosy blush.

"Not that I'm saying there will be a first! No, I'm not, um. I just wanted you to know that. And I should...probably...go. To the Infirmary. Now."

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 08:19 PM
Wingrider

N/A

218 Posts
4841 Marks

W’ryn had been at something of an impasse the last few candlemarks. The Beastcrafters had proved mighty interested in the most recent find. Too interested, so far as the Bluerider was concerned. The object of their mutual desires was at that moment draped with luxurious contentment over their shoulders, the length of its tail draped to hip-level while the blunt curve of its head had nestled into the warmth between chin and chest. W’ryn was besotted with the thing, the thing that they were supposed to name, and had been clear that the ‘Crafters could pry it from their cold, dead hands.

And then tried very hard not to imagine the likelihood of said hands, given that the name of the game was throwing oneself headlong into an unforgiving jungle of various deaths. W’ryn was no coward, and the allure of adventure was strong enough to outweigh the niggling worry of dismemberment, or plague, or…

Rivath. In that tone there was uncharacteristic warmth, and only a little surprise. Earth had taken up a position farther out than the clearing she settled in, keen to be as far from the bustle of coming and going dragons as could be managed, never mind that it meant W’ryn had to walk a little farther to get to him. Although he did not intrude, he reached out briefly to press his presence to that of the little White, full of nothing but solemn happiness that she were closer than she had been a moment before. And maybe a little of the annoyance at his own rider for bringing back another pet. But only a little.

W’ryn’s stride faltered, their pace slowing to standstill as the familiar form made its way down from Rivath’s back. As the White lifted away again the rider made an involuntary murmur of appreciation. All dragons were beautiful in their own way, but there was something additional to be said for that one, and it filled them with something akin to the emotion of watching a canine running full-tilt. Creatures being precisely as nature made them. But then there were no distractions left. Only Ulian, wringing the life out of something in their hands, and the space between them, charged beyond tension.

W’ryn swallowed heavily, acknowledging their greeting with a dip of the head, hands finding solace in hooking thumbs through their own belt. The Bluerider nearly dodged out of the way as Ulian’s hand was suddenly pressed in their direction, clearly keen to not be in the way, because why would Ulian be here for them? But understanding was not far behind, and bless Faranth, W'ryn took the bag so that Ulian’s hands might be free to wring each other to pieces instead.

“Oh! Oh, that’s… thank you. Ulian.” W’ryn smoothed the top of the crinkled satchel with one hand while the other cradled it. It was warm from their hands. Somehow out of all the other far more important things that were happening between and around them, that was the noticed detail, the leftover warmth of what they had held. The silence threatened to stretch. Desperate to cut it short before the tension grew, W’ryn lighted on the only topic that presented itself to mind.

“You have a way of catchin’ me with new critters, I swear it en’t as bad as it looks.” A quick look into their living quarters would suggest otherwise of course, but this was no time for bothering with little details like ‘being true.’ Still, it was not enough to save the conversation from delving into harder territory. W’ryn could not have named the emotion that welled up to see Ulian so—the Mindhealer had before been serene, grounded, unapologetic. Almost insufferably so when W’ryn had been full of chaos and self-inflicted misery. But the words that poured out of them in halting sentences now made W’ryn feel a little more capable than usual. Not enough to be suave, by any means, and it might be noted that they were looking more at their own shoes than anywhere near Ulian. Perhaps it would hide the blush that picked up across their own face as they filled in where the conversation had been dropped.

“Y’were right. I was scared, and prob’ly still am, but it en’t the same exactly. I got no blame for any choice y’made, if it were your choice, I can’t imagine…” W'ryn’s jaw ground for a moment, not wanting to finish that thought. Rivath had killed that Gray. How much control could Ulian conceivably have had? Faranth knew that there had been nothing to stop Earth, who had signed himself over to the same fate if need be, and literally thrown his own rider into another’s weyr in the process.

“Look. Thank you. If…” here there was a momentary steeling of nerve, a shaky breath let out between pursed lips, “…if you want, if we can, we could… talk. If you want. I’m stayin’ in a weyr here in Grove, right over there, it’s ground floor. Not hard t’find with Earth out in front, ‘course.” They pointed back towards the righthand corner of Grove, seeming to gain confidence as they went, though the words ran together faster.

“I know yer busy with healin’ and we’re hurtin’ for that, but if y’want, and there’s time, I…” So many things. I want, I need, I would, “I know I en’t done a good job with any’ve this. But I think I could learn how, an’ I’d like t’learn with you, in particular, because I think you know, and…” The words failed again but now they were at least able to look up at Ulian, the expression on their face unabashedly wanting.

“If you want. And have time. For learnin’ together even. If'n I don’t see you in the Infirmary first.” Ulian was not the only one whose future life was an uncertain projection into the future. It was not worry that pricked away at the space between ribs now though, and distantly W'ryn was aware of the thudding of their own heart, belatedly catching up to the terror of the situation at hand.

@Ruin

user posted image
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Oct 29 2017, 11:57 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3411 Posts
0 Marks

They hadn't even noticed the creature on the Bluerider's shoulders. How, Ulian would never be able to say, but grateful for what seemed like a life-ring tossed to them as they rocked in a frantic sea, they clung to it eagerly. "It's beautiful," they said softly, and genuinely. They wanted to ask exactly one hundred more questions about the creature, but that would be stalling. They could recognize in themselves things that they worked with their clients to eliminate from everyday problems and situations. It was important to...take charge and be forward. It was so hard when it was you, wasn't it? In truth, this was all new territory for Ulian. They had helped so many people, in so many ways, but they'd never stopped for a moment to think about other things. Like their own well-being or interests.

And now it had manifested in a gnawing concern that they couldn't ignore.

W'ryn seemed to take it well.

"She gives me some say," they said softly. Possibly knowing where the train of thought had gone, but possibly filling in for parts that seemed questionable. "I am usually not so...conflicted. I believe she noticed that," a small laugh. "As you probably notice it now." It seemed so silly to be so nervous, but the feeling remained, tight in the pit of their stomach, or maybe it was their heart. Ulian followed W'ryn's motion to the weyrwall, and the tightness became a nervous flutter. The Bluerider's gaining confidence seemed to erase the growing fear that Ulian had felt.

"I thought you would just walk away from me," came a quiet reply a heartbeat after the other had finished. "Would that we could now, slip away and forget the rest and talk, but we can't. Duty first. You're braver than I; if not for my worry I would have found a reason to stay at Dalibor." It would be a handful of candlemarks still before Ulian would learn that this illness could not have been escaped. "When you come back tonight, after your shift out there, we'll talk then? Maybe not where you sleep, I wouldn't want to infect you, but we can find someplace quiet. Even here, and I will hope not to see you in the infirmary."

@Tobes

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Tobes
 Posted: Oct 30 2017, 10:34 PM
Wingrider

N/A

218 Posts
4841 Marks

For the first time in their admittedly brief conversation, W’ryn’s smile took on a comfortable quality, as if they had suddenly decided to trust that Ulian really meant all of it. It was the Whiterider’s vulnerability that had done it. Admitting that they were conflicted. It would have been so easy for them to pretend otherwise, but here they were, opening up something unpolished and sharing despite fear.

“I wouldn’t know anythin’ about feelin’ conflicted,” they offered back quietly, the smile edging closer towards a smirk, lopsided and carefree. A joke. W’ryn wore their expressions clear as day, in the very way that they held their body, and it was obvious that there was a moment’s worry that humor was too much. Whatever they were building might be fragile. But Ulian had yet to be anything but gently accepting—it was starting to feel like a real hope that acceptance, exactly as they were, was not too much to ask for. They ducked their head, loathe to lose any of what Ulian said to the noise around them. And their voice lowered too, though whether to unconsciously match Ulian’s tone, or to keep what was said secret, or still to avoid frightening the other off.

“I tried that already. Runnin’ away.” They hesitated, clearly weighing words carefully before pushing on.
“Didn’t much care for it, so…” The smile was back again, warmer this time, less teasing. Ulian wasn’t saying no. They had cared enough to come all this way to say this. That alone sent a thrill through their body, strong enough that even Earth lifted his head and stared with sudden curiosity at his rider.
“I’d wish that too, though it’s mighty selfish on my part, knowin’ where you’re needed. Don’t know about it bein’ braver, dumb as a wherry maybe, though luck’s been treatin’ me kind.”

They were trying as hard as could be not to let the excitement show. It wasn’t a game they were winning. Ulian’s suggestion was met was several nods, and on impulse—it was so easy, they were already close to talk in soft voices, Faranth they hoped it was not the wrong choice—W’ryn leaned in and wrapped their free arm around Ulian in a hug. It happened fast enough that they would just have to see how they responded—W’ryn would be quick to back away if they felt any resistance, but if not they held on for a long moment, leaning in so their chest pressed up against the other’s ribcage, the bag of redwort pressed awkwardly between two bodies. W’ryn’s heart was fluttering like something trying to escape, perceptible even under leathers. The exotic creature leaned in for its own curious sniff.

Pulling away, W’ryn bowed their head, tearing themselves away at last. They started jogging towards Earth, twisting around to call back over their shoulder.
“I’ll know where t’find you when I’m done! Don’t worry, stay safe yourself with all that sickness goin’ ‘round, my luck en’t run out yet!”

@Ruin

user posted image
PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Baraenor, Lion RP Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr The Veil