April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Spring, 19th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Wonder

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Ingoth

The Expedition of the previous season proved to be far less dangerous than possibly any before, with a handful of newly discovered species, and plenty of wealth in the way of resources. As the snow melts, the cold retreats, and bright green buds of Spring burst forth, Dalibor sets its sights on the future as Red Ingoth lays her first clutch upon the sands of the Hatching Ground and the Weyr prepares for another hatching full of possibilities.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
Os'nin of Blue Alwanath - Aerona

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk & Blue Oresk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ives
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Add Reply

The Institution, AU:18 {Oreo/Max}
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 6 2018, 01:17 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3436 Posts
145 Marks
Member Inventory: View

To Crescent again.

By her counting, Shuli had come near the mid-point of Summer, meaning it had been at least a long six weeks since that day, but who was counting. Oreanda wandered back to her wherhole, still wet from the bathing caverns, drawn to home by Osk's brilliant mind and muscle memory. That didn't mean she didn't click, in fact it was a sad staccato that echoed around the chambered tunnels as she made her way back to her room. There could be people, whers, packages, cargo. She couldn't let her guard down. She should have never let her guard down to begin with, but she'd known from the start what she was getting in to. She wasn't the type of person to infringe upon something as socially sacred as marriage. She'd been young and naive when she'd met Callum, hadn't understood the feelings growing inside of her enough to know to keep her distance. Then Pashaa had gone and that had opened up a new world for the experiencing.

Experience it, she had.

She'd always known another woman would be forced into his life, and she was as powerless to stop that as she was to stop Threads from falling. And now, those weeks later, she was going back. Not for him. Never again for him, though the words were like stones in her heart. There was someone else she had to meet with. Another prospective employment opportunity. Expansion for the Weyr. She toweled herself as she walked through the tunnels, nude as the day she'd been born as was typical, before disappearing into the large private domicile that smelled of Osk and the sea. Callum had taught her a lot about society, that sort of society. At the Weyr, with Osk, she could do whatever she wanted so long as she did her duty, but out there? She couldn't simply show up dressed in nets and hope to accomplish anything at all. So she donned her dress leathers, why did she even have dress leathers? Well that was what people wore, she supposed.

They were, as she had been told, a mahogany colour. Dyed a deep reddish brown that burned against Osk's brilliant gleam. They were stifling, but the air was cooler, and she was going to a place that would naturally be cooler still. So there was the hope she wouldn't find herself feeling too swampy. Her nimble fingers buttoned and tied where necessary then began searching the bedfurs until they closed around a braided chord thick as her thumb. As she lifted it, other thumb-thick braided cords fell against the other. She couldn't see the colours, but she knew them by heart. Each hue seemed to impart a different texture into the threads. One for Dalibor, her post. One for Osk, her lifemate. One for her rank, Betahandler. She smiled. She'd come so far in a handful of short turns, and she had further still to go. Every day she was working towards that. Some people had families, some had farms, or Crafts. She had this.

Duty, and purpose.

She hooked her arm through the largest of the braids so it looped between her arm and ribs, the other loops fell down around the outside of her arm, leaving the tassles of her rank to dangle from the complex knot tied on top. She had spent candlemarks following the twisting design with her fingertips, but still could not quite figure out how it had been done. The weavers of rank knots must have had endless training indeed. She ensured that the loops and tassles lay flat, something she'd have to re-affirm once they'd travelled to Crescent, and then she turned towards Osk so he could examine her himself, and she could see through his eyes. Whers did not see quite like other beasts, she knew that from the images her firelizard sent to her, but he saw well enough for the both of them all the things they might need to know.

She was ready then.

It was only just dusk, she called to the Watchdragon on the heights to affirm this, that the sun was low enough that Osk would not be harm when they departed. It was one thing to bother the Minecrafthall by day, but to come in the middle of the night? No, a compromise had to be made somewhere. A missive had gone ahead of her, signed by Weyrwoman Rayna herself; proof positive that Oreanda had the Weyr's blessing for the renovations she was spearheading, and the time for meeting was drawing close. Ah, but to be bonded to a wher did come with certain advantages. The Betahandler stretched wide her reach until she found the dragon sitting at Crescent as guard. This was an unnecessary step: The Landing Pads were ordered clear at all times on penalty of punishment, but Anda was cautious. The Pad was clear, she reached out for her where and the world disappeared. It was only a few moments across such a short distance but it still stole her breath away.

The sky was bathed in red when they came out from between at Crescent. Or so the dragon on the walls remarked. Red sky at night, sailor's delight, the girl whispered the automatic reply taught by the Fisherfolk who had raised her. Dolphins weren't bothered by things like storms, save for the Contract they were bid to fulfill. She turned back to her wher and reached for his broad muscled neck, pulling herself up onto it as he dipped in beneath her legs. It was only a quick jaunt to the Minecrafthall buried in the rocky cliffs nearby, but she was sure there would be someone waiting for her at the entrance. She would dismount then, so as to not injure her head within the tunnels, but Osk would remain, his snout hovering above her shoulder so she could feel his warmth and smell his spicy presence.

@Aftershock

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Apr 7 2018, 04:13 AM
Lady Holder

N/A

227 Posts
1005 Marks

Maximilian was waiting at the chiseled slate doors of the Minerhall, leaning against a small outcropping of raw stone that had been left there when the Crafthall was first tunneled out as a kind of calling card to the purpose of the Crafters inside, when he saw Oreanda approach. Not that she was difficult to miss, riding atop her great bronze wher, though even without it she had a certain air about her that intrigued the young Journeyman... an air that he had first encountered when he had pulled himself through a tiny hole in a rockfall in the Mine to rescue her, and the others trapped with her. Now, she was even more striking, wearing a set of well-tailored leathers and not covered in rock dust and sweat. Max, too, looked quite different than he did when she first encountered him that fateful day, wearing a slate grey pull-over long-sleeved tunic with a laced neck, dark blue trousers with tooled leather patches over the pockets, and black wherryhide boots, along with a couple thick brass rings bearing large, rough-cut gemstones that he had found himself during his time in the Crafthall. Not that she could see his new look, considering the woman's blindness, though he imagined she might decide to look at him through her wher's eyes at some point, so it wouldn't do to treat the situation any differently than he would were she sighted.

Sitting up from his post as she approached and dismounted, wincing a bit before he put his weight on his polished, brass-tipped cane (as his cane-less work in the mines that fateful day had pushed him farther than he should have pushed himself, and the pain in his knees was much too intense to allow him to walk at all without his cane the days following), he smiled and said, "Greetings, Betahandler Oreanda, I welcome you to the Crescent Minercrafthall. It is good to see that you're in good health, and also good to get a chance to meet you in less dire circumstances than our first encounter. I am also happy to see that the incident did not sour you on the quality of Craftspeople this Hall can produce. My Master Miner is expecting you, but has given me leave to give you a tour of our Hall, if you would be interested, before the meeting." Stepping forward, he reached out to take her right hand, then realized that with her blindness, simply grabbing at her might be rude, so said, "With your leave, I would like to take your right hand," and if she acquiesced, he would kiss the back of her hand and say, "You are looking quite lovely today, as well."

Whatever her response to his offer of a tour, he would walk to the Hall door and open it, adding, "You seem quite capable, of course, but if you would prefer me to guide you at any point, just let me know. I wish your visit to be as pleasant as possible."

@Ruin
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 11:52 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3436 Posts
145 Marks

"Journeyman Maximilian," Oreanda said brightly, her fingertips flexing as she fought the reflexive urge to reach for him and forge a physical connection to their conversation. She turned that into a smoothing of her dress leathers, though her smile never faltered. "I hope you are well? Did the Hall ascertain the reason for the collapse? I know nothing of stone, so I will not place any blame, nor generalize the entire Hall." The woman tilted her head slightly, musing over what sort of things went on in a Crafthall such as this one; there were very few things that could happen in Dolphincraft in the same vein as a mine collapse. Or so she wagered.

The Journeyman offered a tour, and his hand, Osk dropped the mental image of it into her mind, and she clicked her tongue softly to orient on the offered appendage, taking it gratefully. Though she did not outwardly hesitate, she did mentally stumble over the tour. In truth, she'd been so worked up over her grand idea that she'd forgotten about the niceties of society. Hadn't she offered a certain Lord Holder a tour of Dalibor long ago? She wanted nothing more than to go and speak to the Craftmaster, but she'd learned a lot in her time with Callum. Politics were equally important, and she might always learn something important while Max introduced her to his Crafthall.

"I'm not opposed to making things easier, I was once, but I've learned otherwise," she replied happily. "I would enjoy a tour of the Hall, and while others may suffer fear of small places, you won't have that problem with me. I can't see the small places!" She laughed and let him lead her on into the Hall, her other hand falling along Osk's snout until it dropped into empty air. The Bronze snorted quietly and wandered off to make friends with the mine whers as they went about their work.

@Aftershock

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 02:14 AM
Lady Holder

N/A

227 Posts
1005 Marks

"I am well, for the most part, thank you for asking. Just a little sore, is all... I pushed myself farther than my legs could really take, and they're reminding me of that today. But I'd rather sore legs for a few days than the loss of a life in the mines I'm responsible for," Maximilian replied matter-of-factly, then continued, "As for the cause, we discovered it was due to the original bracing timbers in the collapsed areas being rotten and weakened in the center... it seems they were taken from a storage cave that was affected by the flooding from the Storm of All Passes, and while they weren't rotted completely like most timbers, they got damp enough for rot to set in on the inside, where it wasn't obvious, and eventually they gave out. We have already checked all the remaining timbers in our inventory, and caught a few others in the mines and swapped them out for good ones, so there shouldn't be any further problems. As to how it happened, well, we're still digging through records to find out who dropped the ball, but rest assured we'll find out soon enough, and it won't be a problem anymore. The Minerhall of Crescent does not let such things slide under the rug." While his tone was still friendly and personable, there was a steel behind it... it was obvious Max was taking this incident very seriously, and woe betide whomever was found to be responsible at the end of the day when Max got to them.

With Oreanda's hand in his, he passed through the large stone doors, his cane clicking on the stone floor and echoing quietly with every other step as he lead the bronzehandler into the Hall proper, being sure to walk in such a way that he could speak to her easily without having to constantly look away from where he was going, while still leading her as directly as possible away from any furniture or raised sections of floor that she might knock into or trip over. "This is the main hall," he began, putting on his "teaching" voice to allow her to hear him as clearly as possible, "Where almost every other section of the Hall branches off from. You don't have to worry about missing anything exciting... we're a very practical Crafthall, and we have little need for fancy ornamentation or decorating. We save that creativity for our gemcutters." The last words were said with a slight playful smirk, both physically and verbally, and he continued, "On our left is the door to the mess hall... inside are six long tables, five across and one smaller one perpendicular to the others. Three tables are for Apprentices, two for Journeyman, and the final table is for the Masters to watch over everyone else... though the Master's table is, admittedly, rarely utilized, since most Masters are busy outside the Hall dealing with those who desire our Craft's services."

The next door was a few dozen feet down the hall, so Maximilian filled the gap in the tour by asking, "I couldn't help but notice the clicking you do with your mouth... I noticed it inside the mines, as well. I do try to be a well-rounded man, and in reading on the other Crafthalls, I learned that the dolphins of the Dolphincraft make similar clicks. Are you perhaps part dolphin?" The last sentence was said with a chuckle, making it clear the question was merely a light-hearted jab at the bronzehandler.

@Ruin
PMEmail
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 22 2018, 01:20 AM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3436 Posts
145 Marks

"Now that, I can understand! I was not injured like my Alphahandler, but I still felt the effects of such a day, tell me how long does it take a Miner to become used to the work, if they ever do? My Craft is Dolphineering, and I feel as if I could swim forever because I am weightless. Held by the sea. But to bend stone to your will?" She make a soft squeaking sound, one that probably had no human equivalent, but it was one that the dolphins made when impressed by each others antics. "I am glad the cause was not too rooted in mismanagment. Accidents do happen, I hope whomever is responsible can forgive themselves for the tragedy that occurred here." She followed along with him easily, privately enjoying that she did not need to rush, did not need to feel as if she had to rush. Was that a rude thing to consider? That perhaps his statue and cane meant she could breathe and enjoy their foray, rather than feel as if she was hindering him in any way? She had not one judgmental bone in her body for such things, being that she could not see to judge, but selfish thoughts?

Sometimes she had those in spades.

Even ones that wandered and carried to stone walls not so far from the ones they were in now. She clicked appreciatively, trying to sense the height and depth of the rooms and of the open maws of the tunnels. To see if there were tables, and chairs. If there were doors. She could sense the spaces due to the facing of the rapport of her clicking, but the echos bounced back so much information she took her time in taking it all in. She was becoming better at tunnel locating, it had been hard before, when she'd been used to open spaces only. "Gemcutters," she mused quietly. "My Wherlingmaster gave me a gem, a...star sapphire. I carry it with me, but worry about losing it. About how to carry it as a Wherhandler. Perhaps I should see some of your Gemcutters." She had mused her thoughts aloud, but pressed on with them because she had honestly never considered such a thing, so far removed was she from this Craft of his.

She wondered over the hall of tables, and then brightened when he asked his question. "I was raised by dolphins. I mean that seriously," she smiled, but she was not teasing. "I was raised by Fisherfolk, fell into the ocean and a dolphin saved me. He came back for me, and we became partners. I've known him since I was five, almost as long as I've known myself. He knows me as deeply as Osk does. He, his family, other pods, and the Tillek taught me how to click. Taught me how to see with sound so that I could better manage on land. Akke always wanted to get me out of the ocean, he dreamed of a dolphin for me, but Osk claimed me first. I think Akke likes this better, because Osk is not so large as a dragon." She hadn't quite learned not to overshare, but that was another dolphin-taught mannerism. When your culture was that of storytelling through the generations, how else did you pass yourself on to another person?

"You are very well studied, Max, I may call you Max? I never asked, but I should--it is proper. Most people ask me what is wrong with my tongue, but not so many people understand the dolphins."

@Aftershock

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Aftershock
 Posted: May 13 2018, 04:54 PM
Lady Holder

N/A

227 Posts
1005 Marks

"It depends on the person, I've found," Maximilian replied to Oreo's question, "Generally we start Apprentices working near the entrance of the mines, and it's not until they're a Senior Apprentice that they find themselves working in the deeper sections of the mines, where there is not as much fresh air. It helps their lungs slowly adapt to heavy physical labor in a place with more stagnant air. Sometimes we even use that fact to control the prisoners we're assigned as unskilled laborers, rewarding good behavior with assignments near the mine entrance, and poor behavior with deeper assignments." Stopping for a moment to rest, he continued, "My personal struggle was due to the unfortunate circumstances of my birth... I require braces to straighten my legs and allow me to walk at all, and so staying on my feet without assistance for extended periods can cause strain on my knees. I didn't want to risk losing someone by moving slower or going back for my cane, and so I pushed my legs farther than I should have. No permanent damage, though, thankfully."

Scowling a bit, Maximilian added, "I only hope whoever cause this issue was merely being lazy, and it was not intentional. The fact that this mine provides much of the firestone for your Weyr, combined with the enemies your Weyr had at the time those braces were being placed, makes it not out of the realm of possibility that it was intentional sabotage by Traditionalists or Palefolk sympathizers. Luckily, both groups have been eliminated, so hopefully even if the collapse was intentional sabotage, it's not something we can expect to happen again."

Feeling his joint pain fade to an acceptable degree once more, Maximilian began walking once more, and at the mention of her star sapphire, he asked, "Is it uncut, or already cut? Cutting it would be the purview of our gemcutters... I can make some suggestions on who best to approach of our resident Journeymen, as our Master is often quite busy with dealing with the Smith Hall, and it would take quite a long time for space in his schedule to open up to help you. If it's already cut, the Smith Hall would be who you would approach, as their gem experts focus on setting gemstones, and they can best decide what kind of setting would be best for your situation... in that case, our Master Gemcutter could speak to you, as he knows those of the Smith Gemsetters quite well, and could make some suggestions on who to best approach. I will happily bring you to meet whoever you require after our meeting with my Master."

He smiled at her telling of her childhood experience with the Dolphineer Hall, happy that he had correctly identified the source of her clicking. "I find it useful to always seek knowledge and be a well-rounded individual," he replied to her compliment regarding his knowledge of dolphins, "While I would never claim to be an expert in anything outside my field, you never know when a nugget of information from the experiences of those outside your particular area of study and work might come in handy, as everything is connected in one way or another. No one person can know everything, or do everything themselves... it requires teamwork." Smiling once again at her question, he replied, "Of course you may call me Max... I've always believed the length of a man's name should not exceed the reach of his arms, after all." Even after all this time, he never tired of an excuse to say that line, he admitted to himself silently as he smirked. By this point, the pair had reached the next area of the Hall, and Max stated, "The doors on either side of us lead to the Apprentice barracks, boys on the right, girls on the left. Beyond those are the entrance to the Journeyman apartments, where I stay, along with any other Miner Journeyman who do not have families that require them to live in the Hold proper."

Continuing the tour, he pointed out the workshops for the various Miner specialists to work and train the Apprentices, and the offices for the specific Masters. "This is the last part of our tour, as not only are they the last thing to show you, they're also where my Master is awaiting us. I shall warn you, he is a gruff man... not cruel, but very disinterested in pleasantries when there is work to do or discussions to resolve. An attitude only made worse by the extra stress of our recent incident. Do not take it personally if he is curt with you."

@Ruin
PMEmail
^

Topic Options
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
Image and video hosting by TinyPic RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr