April 2018 Featured RPG
Welcome
Dalibor is a semi-canon Dragonriders of Pern site. No knowledge of the series or site is required to join; players of all experience levels are welcome here. Founded in 2008 on Proboards and moved to Jcink in 2013, Dalibor has been running for nine years.

News
Autumn, 18th Turn, 11th Pass

Upcoming Flights/Runs:
Copper Laanasuth
Copper Zelsk

Upcoming Hatchings:
Red Cereza
Green Quince

Wedding bells ring out to celebrate the joining of Lord Callum to Lady Shuli. A grand gather has been put together with people from all over Pern coming to celebrate! Crescent is full to the brim with those who wish to show their support and those just looking to make (or spend) a few marks!

Copper Zelsk shook things up at the Copper Class graduation feast by beginning her run shortly after the knots were delivered to her handler. Bronze Osk won Zelsk's maiden run and now a sizable clutch lays on the sands hardening. Not to be outdone by the ground-bound copper, Copper Laanasuth took to the skies the very next day - though her flight was not as cut and dry as the wher's run had been. Offended by the force catch attempt of a presumptuous burgundy Laanasuth betweened to High Reaches Weyr where one of their dragons won her flight. Though she has returned to Dalibor and laid a large clutch for Dalibor's candidates the Weyr awaits the transfer of the dragon sire and his rider, Dalibor's newest Junior Weyrleader.
Leadership
Weyrwoman
Rayna of Gold Couineth - Boo

Weyrleader
Z'dyn of Iron Baihujinth - Rhia

Jr. Weyrwoman
Jali of Copper Laanasuth - Rii

Jr. Weyrleader
???

Alphahandler
Norla of Bronze Norsk - Ives

Betahandler
Oreanda of Bronze Osk - Ruin
Der of Grey Desk - Rii

Weyrlingmaster
K'ton of Blue Ironth- Jenn
S'vor of Green Absinth - Ruriko
Nia of Pink Koeneth - Catsitta

Wherlingmaster
Ijo of Brown Isk - Rhia
Pavir of Blue Pavisk - Captain
Swithin of Blue Swisk - Ives

Candidatemaster
Ulian of White Rivath - Ruin
Zanii of Black Zansk - Leo

Staff
Admins
Ivy
Rii
Ruin

Historians

Rhia
Tobes

Advertisers

Captain
Tigersilk
Credits
Dalibor was created by Bre, continued by Cathaline, and is now owned and operated by Ruin. Most of the information, rules, and graphics were made, compiled, or written by staff with credit given to those whose resources they used. Stock thanks to credited parties. All characters and posts are copyrighted to the members of the game. No material from this site should be copied in any way, shape, or form without utter express permission from the members and staff. All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's 'Dragonrider of Pern' series are copyright Anne McCaffrey 1967-2017, all rights reserved. The Dragonriders of Pern is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with general permission for non-commercial purposes without monetary gain.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Candidate Lesson: The Stands, {Everyone, even non-Candidates}
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 12:13 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks
Member Inventory: View

Ulian thought it was best to schedule time, almost every day, even if it was just a candlemark here or there, where the Candidates could come right up to the Stands to look down upon the eggs that had been laid by the Queens. They were told, and shown, that they must enter only from the stone stairs on the outside, and must never set food on the Sands unless invited down by the Queens. Unlikely to happen, but weirder events had taken place at Dalibor. Scheduling these short visits almost daily meant that the Candidates were far less likely to try and sneak in themselves through some scatterbrained idea, and it would also keep the hopefuls far more honest and excited in their daily lives.

The Candidates were told this was to be a quiet time, that they may whisper among themselves and discuss their hopes and dreams, but that they were to at all times be aware that there were brooding Queens a relative stones throw away from where they would be sitting. "One of you will ruin this for all of you, so you must police one another. Rivath will be with you at all times, and non-Candidates may come and go. Do not start fights, do not raise your voices. If trouble should begin, it is in your best interest for all of you to dismiss yourselves quickly and try again another day."

"Sitting here while the eggs are hardening, watching the mothers, is a privilege. The Weyrwoman bonded to that Queen owns those Grounds, and is kindly allowing you a chance to become acclimated to the large number of eggs there within. Do not throw things, do not drop things off of the Stands, and do not, for any reason, venture down to lay so much as one finger on the sands." Ulian then ran them through the etiquette once more before they were satisfied enough to take them up there that first day.

ooc: Keep in mind that, at the time of posting Zelsk has not clutched yet! You can either wait for her to clutch before posting, or fluid time and mention her eggs only vaguely.

ooc2: the lessons are "almost daily" because sometimes mommas don't want eyeballs on them!

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 12:56 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

Embry followed the rest of them in, looking to no one in particular. The ex-Trader kept his head down, as best he could, caring only to see the eggs. Ulian's voice flooded in and out of his mind as his array of nervous thoughts fought for control. Shoving his hands into his pockets, so that he couldn't fidget, Embry slackened his posture. Temporarily fixated on the stone floor beneath him, he kept recalling the sight of Couineth's seventeen eggs. Seventeen eggs, and not a one for him. How many more chances, or less chances, would he have come Laanasuth's hatching? Once Ulian had finished speaking, they were led out. Embry followed, not at all pushing, or showing the slightest bit of enthusiasm. It would be his turn when it was his turn.

His turn came rather quickly. He wasn't ready. Raising his head up, blue eyes flitted over the Sands below. There was the copper, in all of her glory, remaining close to a nest of--there were so many. How was there so many? Embry, like a small child, weaved in-between people until he was right up on the rail. Gripping the wall that separated him from the Sands, Embry leaned forward to get a better look. He tried, as quickly as he may, to count the eggs below. There were big, medium, and small. Shards, there was... thirty? That couldn't be right. Laanasuth was a queen, so it made sense but... He hadn't expected thirty. Would he impress this time? He could feel hope flooding back into his empty shell of a being. The young man slowly looked over to Ulian, expecting the Candidatemaster to empathize with his fear. This could be it. This could be his chance. If in thirty dragons, not a one saw him fit, well... He swallowed, forcing himself to look away from the Masterhealer. Ulian would not be able to tell him, one way or the other. Only hatch day would hold the answers he so desperately needed. It felt so far away, and yet the clutching had felt far away too. Now, here he was, looking down on thirty eggs. The array of colors was mesmerizing.

Shifting his weight from the rail, Embry pushed off the wall in order to sit down. Taking a step back, Embry claimed an unoccupied seat. There he sat, continuing to stare out across the hatching sands. It was going to be a dual hatching. What would happen if a wher chose him? He recalled the question and answer session that had been held a bit ago. They were free to reject a bond, were a wher to approach... Would he be able to do that? If any creature wanted him, at this point, who was he to refuse? The thought was daunting, admittedly, but it was one that he had to consider. Hands falling into his lap, Embry sighed again.

Soon... any day now.

@Ruin
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 10:54 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

It may have been Ulian that Embry was looking to, and indeed the Candidatemaster was offering a bolstering smile to all of the uncertain Candidates looking their way, but it was an entirely different person who slid in next to Embry and nudged him with her shoulder. "C'mon now, sweetner, nothing to sigh about." Vianna's smile was bright, the gap between her front teeth gleaming in the uncanny green glowlight diffusing throughout the cavern. "You know, my mother always used to say that all our worries wouldn't be taller than a hill o' beans. I never really reckoned what that meant," the girl laughed, crossing her legs and curling her arms up in them. "I tell you what though, after seven turns out there waiting, I don't have many beans in the pile. How about you? How many beans do you got?"

She looked out beyond the heads of the other Candidates and again imagined the shells breaking, spilling out their hatchlings. "I'm good luck y'know. All my siblings have Impressed, all my friends too. It's just me waiting. Can't stand next to you, but I'll be thinking about you just the same. Maybe that luck'll rub off even in this new place." It wasn't that she'd stopped smiling, only that her mouth changed when she thought, when she spoke, and when she wasn't doing much of anything at all. So even though she was smiling again, teeth and all, it was really like she'd never stopped in the first place. "Nice sized group down there anyway," the dragonets she'd hatched in her mind were crawling up over the barrier or climbing the stairs to get to the waiting Candidates. She was making matches in her mind.

"What'd'ya think you'll end up with? If you had to choose anyway. And I mean really choose, none of that: 'I'd take anything at this point, so long as it's something!'. My whole family rides fighters, and there's just so many of them. Well, gosh I just hope I make them proud when it's all over. Maybe a Burgundy?" Her tone fell and she whispered, "they're always telling me that I'm just too wild for my own good. Too distracted. Browns seem like a moss-grown boulder don't they? A tree with big roots? Maybe even that would be good for me." Her eyes were wandering around the milling group, following dragons she'd imagined.

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 12:40 AM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

339 Posts
515 Marks

As soon as they were allowed, Inali had stationed herself in the stands and watched the eggs. She sat alone, but mostly because she was almost always alone. She didn't seem to have any friends unless you counted Miridan... And she wasn't sure if she did or not.

She sat stiffly, back straight, hair braided tightly behind her and hands folded neatly in her lap. Right at the edge, in the first row. Staring. She was going to bore a hole into the eggs with her eyes at this rate and belatedly realized that her knuckles were white, her hands were clenched so hard. She needed to Impress. Maybe not this hatching, she had time, something she was thankful for more out of fear of failure than anything else. But that did nothing to soothe the nagging worry in her gut.

She wouldn't go back to being a holder. She'd decided that the second the eggs were on the sands. She wouldn't leave the Weyr. She could manage being weyrfolk. It was better than marrying someone that let her have no power or control.

Inali grit her teeth and took a deep breathe, trying to force her shoulders to relax.

@Jenn - Mention of Miridan

Odinara settled into a seat, listening raptly before turning her attention to the eggs that seemed so far away. Her hair was cropped short - Freshly shorn and longer on top - and she was dressed in a light belted tunic and pants and was thankful she'd managed to be fitted for clothing that wouldn't smother her in the heat.

Her chest was bound, however, and that wasn't helping the whole staying cool thing. But she'd ignore it if it meant she wasn't treated differently. She settled into a seat, looking out over the eggs.

"They're bigger than I thought they would be," she murmured to no one but herself.

Open!

Captain's Crew
Pressganged - Captain's Wanteds

Lady Holder Baria of Western
X'vir of Brown Oth | Ems of Blue Kapth | Wa'ut of Blue Qith
L'ru of Green Syrath | Z'ant of Green Lyraleth
Zaela of Pink Nektisuth | Qivi of Black Dekandaeth | V'ax of Cyan Purlalith
Vatalian of Orange Vatask | Pavir of Blue Pavisk | Setarii of Black Setask
Inali, Havenrute, Navenax, Felrin, Uonai, Unavir, Odinara
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 01:08 AM
Wingrider

N/A

285 Posts
423 Marks

Ariella didn’t have any vested interest in dragons. She never had. She had never dreamed of flying in the skies, though she had the chance several times now to travel on dragonback. It was something you could never really put into words. The feel of the blue sky, the rush of the wind, the feeling of muscles flexing beneath her. It was a novel experience. But not one she thought she’d enjoy in long term. No, Ariella liked her feet on the ground, a weighted net at her side, and knives in her hands. Her foe was not thread. Her foe would never be thread.

The heat of entering the caverns was always a surprise to her. No matter how many clutches she watched, and yes Ariella had seen a few, it never ceased to make her pause. She stood near the entrance, savoring the warmth as she exited the cool autumnal air. It was like warm klah in the pit of your belly. Though the air here was abuzz with possibility. With potential. Her hair was pulled back into a simple runner’s tail, but the ends fluttered in the slight breeze from outside.

She could see people in the stands already. Not surprising. Everyone would probably want to come and gawk at the eggs at some point or another. But there weren’t too many. Which was good for her. Hazel eyes fell on the queen’s form as she moved along the edge of the stands. She was ginormous. Nothing really made Ariella feel small like standing beside a dragon. Even the tiniest of whites was still fairly large. They were impressive creatures, and she understood why so many sought to be by their side. A nod was given to Laanasuth if she happened to glance up at the woman. But that was it.

She made her way up the stands, taking a free space for herself, sitting with her arms slack against her legs. The eggs were pretty. She had never noticed if Arsk’s egg was pretty. She wished she had now. She wished she had saved some of the shell and had it made into something pretty like a bracelet. She wished she had something to remember her by, other than her own failing memories.

Her head shook slightly. No. She wasn’t going to do that right now. She wasn’t going to think of Arsk. Normally she’d drink to chase away those thoughts. But she doubted they would let her bring a skin of wine into the cavern with her. So she instead set to counting the eggs. She started with the smallest ones, slowly counting her way up. It gave her mind something to focus on other than the dull, usual ache that Arsk brought with her.

-Open-

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Aerona
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 03:11 AM
Wingrider

N/A

71 Posts
480 Marks

Ah, the usual sands visits. This wasn't any different than it had been before, and Emeron was already bored out of his mind. He was quiet, sitting there and watching the eggs and the Mothers near their clutches or where they moved. He wished he could get something. Instead he thought about how he was a failure to his parents and his siblings that had impressed in their own Weyrs, and how he, was not likely to get anything. He'd been standing for fifteen years, it was so ridiculous at this point. He couldn't face his parents, and pretty much avoided them throughout the Weyr.

He sat, leaning back and kicking his feet up as he closed his eyes. He'd probably go back with more scars. He always went back with more scars. Though they were remarkably less than the days before the armor. So many more candidates were killed then. He barely noticed when a body sat down or moved, or people whispered.

That was until he was pretty sure he felt the sad around him. He was probably attracted to it in some sort of way, maybe it was his nature, or maybe just a guess. But Emeron knew when someone was down. Things that were more down than him seemed to draw his attention. "I thought I was supposed to be the only buzzkill in the crowd." He said, his voice a soft whisper as he looked over to Ariella. "Something eating you?" He asked. "Sorry for butting in, I can kind of just sense when someone is sad." He said with a shrug of his shoulders. "Guess it's a gift, or a curse, probably a curse." He frowned lightly. He eyed her up and down. "I don't know you. You're a new one here." He hadn't met her yet, which meant she was new to Weyr. "Emeron, been in this place my whole life." He said, giving her a shrug.

@Blot

PM
^
Jenn
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 09:48 AM
Weyrlingmaster

N/A

82 Posts
23 Marks

Two sets of eggs. Two sets of candidates ready and willing to go. Miridan entered the stands and blue eyes searched for the face he always seemed to look for. He didn't know why. Well.. He did, he just didn't want to admit it. Its not like he could do much with the knowledge anyway. They were still in candidacy and soon to be weyrlings (Maybe. Possibly), it would be close to two turns before he could act on any crush he'd developed. Best to just let it slide. He didn't know if he could though. He could exercise patience and wait. He was good at that.

He climbed the stands until he was in the same row as Inali, shifting to catch a seat next to her. She was stiff and unyielding, her back straight as a board and Miridan had a desire to laugh at her. He couldn't figure her out half the time. Ready to get down and dirty one day and the next, stuffy and stuff shirted. This time he had some inkling as to why. Nerves most like. He had his fair share now that the eggs were on the sands. Would this time be his time? Or would he be left standing again? He didn't know.

His own hand shifted to take hers, "Relax. You're gonna break a finger with your hands so tight." He couldn't resist threading his fingers with hers, hand holding couldn't be against the rules. Could it? "Mine are strong enough," he continued, "You couldn't break them if you tried." He could feel some of her tension leave as she tried to relax those stuff shoulders and he was kind of at a loss as to what to do. "You'll do fine," he said to her, "Everything will turn out how its supposed to Inali. Don't know why you're nervous. Any hatchling would want you." It was almost a desperate need to reassure her and it sucked.

@Captain

PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 02:09 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

He knew that Ulian was busy, and were they to approach him he'd be unsure of what to say. He felt as if he'd said his piece, when they last talked, and therefore he wasn't a complicated enough individual to require further discussion. Even so, he appeared about as downtrodden as some of the others. When a girl came and sat down beside him he had expected it to be Rome... or Xialas. Xialas acted like a girl sometimes, so it only made sense that he start to look like one. He didn't recognize the young woman. Assuming that she was new to the Weyr, he did his best not to fault her for irritating him. The nudge made him scowl. Who in Faranth's name was "sweetner?" The girl was smiling at him, which only made him angle his body away and mutter.

She was going about... beans? Was she hungry or something? Shards, go get some food then and leave him be. Having spent so much time with the only two people who had ever acknowledged him, Embry nearly forgot how atrocious his social skills were. He had done his best to be tolerant with the Candidatemaster's and riders at least, but he owed very little, if anything at all, to this talkative girl. When she asked her question he turned, disgust written all over his face. He barely registered her words, and had he, well, he wouldn't have the foggiest clue as to what they meant!

Then the girl was peering around, and down at the Sands below. He settled a little, for at least she was no longer looking at him. Then she had to go and say something ridiculous, and the young man paused. She reminded him, in that moment, of someone. Candi... hm. Were they related? He wouldn't be surprised. They looked nothing alike, and his fellow candidate wasn't being an atrocious flirt either. "You don't know me," he offered gruffly, giving much the same response that he had to Candi that day. She had assured him, several hatching's ago, that he would impress. She likely felt as if she'd wasted her time on him now. "Why not use your luck for yourself?" he declared rather harshly. How much luck could a person really have when everyone else had impressed but them? Maybe this girl had made stories up in her head in order to feel better about her circumstances. If such were the case he'd much prefer that she keep them to herself; he had enough to worry about already without taking on the burden of someone else's doubts.

When she commented on the eggs, she got a barely perceptive sound of acknowledgment. He could see the eggs, he wasn't blind. The question she asked brought him back to his conversation with Rome. His friend had asked him the same thing, and he hadn't really known then either. He had told her something that sounded good, in the moment, and now he was faced with the truth that he didn't wish to lie. "Your family wants you to get a fighter just because they have fighters? How is that conducive?" He had no family to speak of and so he couldn't really judge... He had never met someone who actually wanted to be bonded to a fighter. A'dran had a brown, so he thought that, given the other boys impression, he might want something similar. How much of an ass would he be if he said he'd like to ride a king? He didn't need this stranger judging him and so he merely kept his thoughts to himself. Wedging his hands in-between his legs, Embry set his narrow-eyed gaze forward.

"Browns are good dragons," he heard himself agree. Wobath was a great dragon. A'dran was lucky. If he could be half as lucky, then he'd have little to complain over. The grumpy ex-Trader side-eyed the teen, idly wondering what it was that had made her decide to sit next to him. It was, in all likelihood, a random choice.

@Ruin
PM
^
Harbinger
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 04:03 PM
Priderunner

N/A

124 Posts
20 Marks

@Captain

Caelen couldn't help but chuckle at the amazement in the voice of the person next to him. He supposed the eggs would be quite a shock to someone who wasn't used to them, but that didn't make Odinara's murmur any less endearing.

"Laanasuth had to come from an egg like that," he said, pointing to the brooding Copper. He chose not to point out the fact that Queen eggs were much larger than the others, just in case the other candidate was feeling overwhelmed. Last thing he wanted was to scare them further.

"Sorry," the candidate then said with a self-depreciating smile, "you probably weren't talking to me. Uh, I'm Caelen." He held a hand out politely. "It will all feel very big until it's over, but it's not too scary. I promise."

Open

"I said stay in my room!" Laerien hissed to the Tan that appeared next to him, settling herself on the railing. She cheeped in response, flashing images of the two Coppers and a distinct edge of terror and danger. "Of course they're dangerous, they're mothers!" Reyna was unconvinced. "Just go!" The boy closed his eyes and focused very strongly on his bed. With a creel, the Tan disappeared back Between, leaving Laerien to sigh and lean back against the railing, rubbing his forehead. She was going to get eaten during the hatching, he just knew it.

Turning blue eyes on Laanasuth, he watched to see if she had been bothered by the paranoid flitt. He dared a glance at Ulian, hoping not to catch their gaze lest he pull more attention to him. Last thing he wanted was to get kicked out because Reyna needed to be told twice to stay out of the way. With any luck, she would be content to stay with Emira and Maeda when the actual hatching came. With another puff of a sigh, he turned his attention back to the eggs, longing for the shells to finally crack open.

Open

Lectures were the worst lessons. Lectures this close to eggs? Torture. Xavinyra couldn't help but shift impatiently as Ulian said their piece, and tried not to shove as she bustled forward with the rest of their candidate class into the great stands surrounding the eggs. She wandered along the tiers for a moment, then climbed up steps, finally taking a seat with a smirk. This, this right here was the perfect spot. Whoever took this place would be the envy of the rest of the Weyr. Only the candidates would have a better view.

Eventually she would be down there. Stuck somewhere center of the semicircle to be partway between both Dragons and Whers. There were so many eggs... surely this time she would Impress. Shards, half of her wanted to stay that she would do anything to Impress. The whole debacle with the flight quickly pushed that idea out of her head. Last thing she wanted was to be dead from stupidity like that.

A frown of thought on her face, Xavinyra put bony elbows on equally bony knees, resting her chin in her palms, watching the eggs. This was completely boring, and yet totally engaging.

Harbinger's Hoard
Come plot with me!
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 04:30 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"Oh I don't, but I sure would like to, Embry! See, I know your name is Embry! That's one thing." She either didn't notice his grumpy demeanor, or didn't mind it, regardless she wasn't exactly leaving. In fact, he was answering her, which was just about the best result ever, because he seemed like he needed to talk to something about everything he was holding inside. "You know a sigh is just an idea that wants to come out, but you haven't given it words yet," Vianna encouraged him. "I wish I could use my luck for myself. I hoped for that, for a long time, but I just seem to be lucky for other people. Like one of those lucky feline paws some people carry 'round? Now, I didn't ever pay any mind to those sorts of things, but I seem to be the lucky paw. At least for the people who know me. So I'm just here to get to know you a little bit better in the hopes that it'll work."

Her eyes had been dancing over the broken eggshells and crawling dragonets, so she almost missed what he said next, but luckily she'd made just enough of a connection to where her brain prioritized him higher than her daydreams. "Oh, you know I never did ask them? I can't say if they had a preference, but their dragons are so wonderful. They seem to be less trouble, the fighters. The bigger they are, why the more complicated things can be, can't they? If you a sweet little small thing you can just tuck under your arm one day, and then the next day you're flying everywhere all fast. I should have asked them, but they might've been a bit superstitious about those things. Sort of like the Traders? You know, the more you think about it, the more different it might turn out?" She followed that up with an 'mmhmm' as if agreeing with what she'd said.

"They are good, aren't they? They're all supposed to be, but some of them can be just a little bit touchy. Browns, and Blues, they seem solid and reserved." Vianna nodded another agreement to herself. "You seem solid and reserved enough, don't you? What do you want in a partner, somethin' happy? Somethin' playful. What if you got a big bright Purple who wanted to talk to everyone all day, everyday, making friends and throwing parties? Big blustery prideful Bronze? So many colours these days how do people even sort through 'em anyway."

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Blot
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 05:40 PM
Wingrider

N/A

285 Posts
423 Marks

Ariella prefered to be alone. To sit and stew in her memories as she felt was her right. She had lived this long by fighting and staying by herself, she figured that was good enough for her. But other people didn’t seem to notice that. Despite the aura she gave off, the folk of the Weyr always seemed to take that as an invitation. She couldn’t fault them, not really. Weyrfolk and Holders all lived lives of constant companionship. Everyone had a network of other folk they knew.

Still this did not brighten Ariella’s mood when someone chose to talk to her. The look she gave Emeron was flat, though there was still as hint of sadness in her eyes.
“Jus’ memories young pup. Jus’ memories. You get a lot of ‘em when you’re as old as me.” Her voice was rough, though there wasn’t a hint of sadness in it. She gave Emeron an appraising look. Candidate? She guessed candidate. Though he didn’t have any of the excitement she usually got from their kind. Hadn’t he too come to gawk at the eggs that could hold his future?

“Ariella. Yer right, I’m new to the Weyr. Jus’ came up from Grove.” Though she didn’t state why. No one needed to know why she was here but the higher ups. And she wouldn’t appreciate any probing.
“Heard a lot about this place. Not all of it good, but well…” She shrugged. Her opinion on Dalibor had yet to change. She still sensed it was trouble. But trouble seemed to be what Ariella’s life was about. Her eyes roamed over the eggs.
“Pretty clutch though. Was surprised to hear about two copper’s goin’ off. Does that happen often here?”

@Aerona

-user posted image-
PMWebsite
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 05:58 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

Was this some sort of cruel trick? How could she have possibly known his name? Looking about suspiciously, the young mans mouth slacked to the side as he eyed up the other candidates. Was Xialas hiding somewhere, watching his reaction? There was no way that this girl was, by her own volition, this peppy and talkative. He had never met someone, yes not even Candi, who could ramble on this much. He was about to sigh again, but stopped himself lest she feel the need to comment on that too. Glaring forward, as before, Embry leaned forward. Elbows upon his knees, the ex-Trader placed his face in his hands. He was admitting defeat, or as good as. "Does Candi think she's broken or something, so she's sent you?" he snapped at her, fairly sure that the girls voice was giving him a migraine. (Chances were he was giving himself a migraine, fretting so). "Who knows," he answered, to nothing in particular. Hopefully she would catch on to his vagueness, and decide he wasn't worth bothering any longer.

He tuned out half of what she said, until the mention of Traders. Sitting up tall, he fixed her with an accusatory stare. "Traders are not superstitious, thanks." She might as well have called him out by name, with that quick-tempered response. "I don't need a dragon that's fast, and who cares about small?" Why was he still talking to her? Suppressing a groan, he turned away whilst reaching up to ruffle his messy hair. Her conversation could have been one-sided, what with the way she was carrying on. Did she even need him to talk at all, or be here? He was beginning to feel as if he'd signed on to something, somehow, that he hadn't really agreed to.

The social candidate was overwhelming, to say the least, and here all he had wanted was some time to sit and think. "Are you referring to reds?" he snorted, knowing full well which sorts of dragons were touchy or no. Was he looking for "solid" and "reserved"? He didn't know. He really didn't. Did he have to have an opinion on the matter? He hadn't thought so before, but the girl was making him second-guess himself. "If I impressed anything that happy I'd kill myself," he replied unhelpfully, again side-eyeing the teen. "When it's mine, it's mine. I don't care otherwise. What's the point in hoping for something that's out of your control?" He felt like he was discussing affairs with Ulian all over again, except he doubted that the girls advice would be as sound. "Hoping for anything is a mistake, so why not just wait and see what happens?" The last was said rather pointedly, with Embry's attitude shining brighter than Rukbat.

@Ruin
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 06:15 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"Oh, candy? Do you have some. Oh, I really have a soft spot for sweets, and I really shouldn't. All my sisters tell me so, but I can't help it. What sort of candy do you like? Oh, you mean someone. Candy? Is that her name? What a marvelous name, I approve." Again, she either didn't notice, or didn't mind his tone. She'd propped her elbows up on her crossed knees and had perched her chin in her hands. Now she was peering around as if following all sorts of movement, but really it was just the milling Candidates near them. Though she could see the hatchlings too. "Oh sure they are," she said suddenly. "Why, some of them said they don't like traveling due North so they always have to angle West. They said that's why the circuits can be so long. Also, haven't you heard about the Wailing Lady of the Road? I was told a story about her once by a Benden caravan. Did you know Traders are some good people? Oh, not all of them, but then again who all can be totally good all of the time? Not even me, I'm sure." She smiled brightly at him, her gap teeth gleaming, before turning her attentions back to the others.

"Reds?" She perked up. "You know, a lot of people have said Reds aren't good for nothing, that they're broken, but that can't be true, right? A dragon always has a purpose, even if you don't know what it is at first. Look at Rivath, she's as much a Red as any, but she's supposed to be a White, is she useless? She can't fight Threads, but I'm sure she keeps things safe here all the same. She sure is pretty too, but they all are, you know my brother has a Green and she is just about the nastiest creature I've ever met. She's bit me more than once! Still has a use!" Vianna was matter of fact, she'd even sat up as if that would make her point all the more true. "I'm just not so sure I want a dragon who is useful, but also like that. I don't think I'd ever be able to manage, not like our Candidatemaster, or any of the other people who ride actual Reds. Nothin' wrong with them, but I gotta be honest about myself because who else will be if I won't?"

"Oh I hope you don't," she said, though she didn't seem less happy, just more serious about it. "Kill yourself, that is. I mean, if you're picked, what's left to worry about, right? Except for Threads I guess. You know the only real trouble a Dragonrider needs to face are those Threads. Although Dalibor likes to go out and do so many other things, don't they? Like Expeditions, and excavations, and all sorts of adventures. I figured if I wasn't Impressing at Benden, why not come here and not Impress here instead, then at least I can take part in some of things going on out here. Maybe one day, my name'll be in a Ballad too!" She made a quiet noise in her throat again, almost like a hum, but maybe it was more of a song, it didn't last for very long though because he'd asked a question of his own. Even if he hadn't really meant to.

"Oh but why not think about it. Dream about it? Can't you see them? If you really just think about it? See them breaking out of their eggs and crawling around looking for their Candidate. And then, then you just gotta pick one in your head just for you. Maybe it'll surprise you, the colour, the way they act. If you don't got it in you to keep on hopin' for it to happen, then you gotta think about why you go down there at all. You should be shouting at the top of your mind every time a shell breaks 'HEY, HEY I'M OVER HERE, LOVE ME BACK', you know? Ain't no harm in that at all."

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 06:38 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

The more she talked, the more he squirmed. How was it possible that any one person could be so... so... annoying! What was with all of her questions? Why did she keep smiling at him like that? Why did she seem like, somehow, she actually cared about what he had to say? He really wanted to know how she knew his name. Who had sent her? Someone must have sent her. Dying suddenly felt like an attractive option, given the fact that his brain could not process the girls speech any longer. Even if he wanted to, he just couldn't (not that he did... want to). She was legitimately hurting him, could she not see that?

"Obviously you don't know her then, or you're just pretending not to know her. Whatever." Embry had thought, or rather liked to think, that he was managing to get his temper under control. He had been trying to keep an open mind about other people, and not be as judgmental as he often was. He had, evidently, met his true vice (in the form of a girl). Now, women had been his vices many times in past. Not like this, however. "I was a Trader. You, obviously, are not." Wiping a hand across his cheek, for he was positive that he was starting to sweat, Embry quietly began to shake his right leg. He was holding himself together, just barely. He couldn't snap, not here, not in front of Ulian and the entire Weyr. This girl, if she could even be called that, was going to be the reason why he couldn't Stand. He wasn't going to let that happen! She wasn't worth it! You got this man, don't freak out, came that inner voice that, rarely, coached him on.

Then she started on a kick about reds, and even went as far as to mention Rivath. She was right, in part, but that didn't matter. "She's not useless! All dragons have uses! Why are you even here? Go bug someone else, for Faranth's sake. Stop yammering. No one cares, do you hear me? No one. Especially not me, so bugger off!"

... oops. He was yelling. He had stood up, to boot, physically trying to shoo the girl away. If he was going to be honest about himself than he'd have to admit that his patience required some serious work. "Take your adventure talk somewhere else; like off a short pier, for example." The beast, the one that A'dran knew so well, had been let out of its cage. "No one's going to write a song about you, why would they?" he carried on, throwing his hands up in the air.

"Yeah, sure, go! Go do that on hatch day and watch how many dragons and whers try to eat you. Yeah, go right ahead. Do you have feathers for brains? I'm pretty sure you do!" Hopefully he hadn't made a scene. Hopefully. He was so hoping that no one had noticed. Oh shards. Had someone noticed? His eyes were practically spinning he was so angry. His face was red, and his palms were sweaty. Tensing his fingers, the ex-Trader bawled his hands into fists. Go away, just go away, he thought, as if the girl could, somehow, read his mind. He was glaring at her, rather noticeably, willing her to /between/ away so that she could be someone else's problem--not his.

@Ruin
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 06:53 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"Oh no, I'm not a Trader at all, didn't I tell you, I'm from..." but Embry was yelling. No, he was actually trying to push her away. Well, that was just such a silly thing to be worked up about, whatever it was that he was worked up about. "Oh that isn't true, Embry. A lot of people care. I have a whole family that cares." She did too, not that she was necessarily hurt by his words, at least not yet. He was so angry about something, but it couldn't be her, because she hadn't done anything. This was some sort of misplaced rage, and she hadn't even known him long enough to be the root of that either. "What are you so angry about, Embry? This is a happy day, new eggs on the Sands and so many chances to Impress."

But he was still going, so she politely fell quiet so that he could get it all out, every last little bit of it. She'd been raised right, you see, to not talk over someone, to give them a chance. Up until then, Embry hadn't wanted to do much talking. If the other Candidates were looking, she didn't seem to notice or mind. Even Ulian seemed to be waiting for it to play itself out one way or another, so long as they didn't disturb the Queens or resort to violence. Not that Vianna would have ever considered raising her hand against someone. She wondered briefly, as her fellow Candidate continued his tirade, how angry she would need to be to hurt someone. She wasn't really sure. Maybe that was a question to ponder another time.

Finally, he seemed to be winding himself down, and when he did finally fall silent she reached out for his hand and tugged on it, mostly because his hand was a fist, but she was adaptable. "Why don't you come back on down here and tell me what's really got you angry, mister, because I know it isn't little ol' me. Why, I've been nothing but nice this whole time, just hoping to make you feel a little better when you were lookin' a little down." She gave his balled up hand another little tug in emphasis. "I don't know who would write a song about me, or why, and maybe they will eat me. They haven't yet, but there's always this time, just like you haven't yet, but there's always this time. See how easy it is to imagine? So come on," another little shake. "I promise I don't have feathers for brains at all, I just care about you. Everyone deserves a fair chance, right? I've only been here all of a few sevendays, so why not start now."

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 07:26 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

Was she seriously still talking? "Who are you?" he demanded, rather loudly at that. Nothing in Embry land could ever be done calmly. There was always the necessity to yell, point fingers, and on occasion break things. He didn't like to hurt people, though he had convinced himself that the entire world was trying to hurt him. The girls overbearing friendliness might have done well with someone like Rome, or even Candi, but he wasn't either of them. He was a boy. A silly boy with social fears. When Vianna mentioned her family, Embry tensed up all the more. Not all families cared, in fact most families didn't care. Not everyone had a family, even. He counted himself lucky that he had no one to answer to... no one at all. "I'm not... angry," he lied, gaze softening ever so slightly at the mention of the eggs and impression.

She had gone quiet while he yelled at her, and so the guilt set in. He hadn't meant to hurt her, or even insinuate that she was stupid (though that's exactly what he had done). She grabbed for his hand, which made him jump. He froze, afraid of the vicious words that played around on the tip of his tongue. He wanted to be better. He wanted to do better. He didn't need more friends but he also didn't need enemies. When she tugged on his fist a second time, telling him to sit back down, he obeyed. "Don't touch me," he muttered, hunching over so that he could crunch up into an uncomfortable ball. He didn't look at her--refused to actually. Again he knew she was right. She hadn't really done anything other than natter away at him. He quickly glanced over at Ulian, afraid that he was going to get a talking to.

"I'm not angry," he repeated, more trying to convince himself than Vianna. "Why would I want to imagine getting eaten by dragons?" The boy shook his head, muttering obscenities under his breath all the while. A hand was placed over his forehead as his chin dropped to his chest. Why was this happening to him? What had he done to deserve this interrogation?

Okay, that was it. Head shooting up as he got his second wind, Embry felt the need to do a little questioning of his own. "Who are you? Stop saying that you care about me. You don't know me at all. Don't pretend like you do, it's weird. Just stop." Who in Faranth's name declared to a stranger that they cared about them? What kind of sick world was he living in? A rock could fall on his head tomorrow, and wipe him out. What difference would it make to this girl? Did she have some weird crush on him or something? Had she been watching him from afar this whole time?

@Ruin
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 16 2018, 07:45 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"I'm a Candidate," she replied, pleased that he'd sat down, even if he might've done it automatically. "I'm sorry for touching you if you don't like it, I just didn't know how to get you to stop yelling at me. Y'see though, we can have a nice civil conversation just the two of us right here." Another smile, not as full and toothy, but encouraging. She did do her best not to touch him again, putting her hands down on her own legs instead, though it was obvious the way she mirrored his hunch that she wanted nothing more than to comfort him in some small way. "I don't want you to imagine getting eaten by dragons, of course. I want to imagine one Impressing you. That's what everyone else is doing. Even if you're angry about it, or scared, doesn't mean it isn't healthy to just let yourself feel a tiny little bit of joy every once in awhile. Otherwise all you do is keep feeling angry over, and over again, and then that's all you know how to do."

What really made her happy though, was that Embry finally did want to participate in their previously one-sided conversation, and she was only too happy to oblige. "I told you, I'm a Candidate. My name is Vianna, I'm from Benden. I transferred a couple sevendays back, got here just in time that day Ulian took us out on the Sands to look around. I know your name because it's up on the chore sheet and process of elimination. Only other thing I know about you is that you always seem a little bit sadder than I'd expect for what's happening here, and, I do care. Don't know why I'm not allowed to, you're a person aren't you? You're a Candidate. You ain't any different from me, except maybe how angry you are but, gosh I get angry sometimes too." She couldn't really think of an example right at the moment, but she could if given enough time.

"If it is weird, and you aren't just acting all manly on account of those eggs down there, then I hope I can change your mind. Only person who got reason to think no one cares, is a person who wasn't cared for properly to begin with. I know things aren't the same for everyone out there, okay, but that doesn't mean people don't deserve a chance to be different. Especially here. This is a second chance, right? Get a dragon, get a whole new life. Sure, not all of us will, can't lie and say I don't think about that part too. You know most hatchings now I don't even pay attention, really. The dragon's don't seem to pay me any mind, so I just watch the Candidate's faces and the crowd, get a little bit of living from them."

Her smile widened a bit. They were sad words coming out of her mouth, or should've been, but she'd accepted the future whatever it held. "You just always seemed so far away, and I never really had a chance to talk to you about it, that is until you sat down and sighed hard enough to knock off a flitter's wings. Didn't think someone who wanted to keep hiding would draw so much attention to their feelin's. Thought maybe you'd like to lay it all out bein' that there are eggs down there. Might be they listen, you know some people think they can. I don't know if that's true or not, but either way, I'm just here cause you seemed to need a friend."

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Captain
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 12:13 AM
Wherlingmaster

N/A

339 Posts
515 Marks

She'd seen him coming. She'd watched him for a short period of time but the eggs drew her attention back. It was hard to compete with them.

Inali squeezed his hand tight. Then yanked her's away, narrowing her gaze at him as though he'd stepped in something. But she didn't move away, didn't discourage his presence beyond her initial glare. She even shifted so her knee touched his, exhaling slowly. The tension in her shoulders lessened a little. Just a little.

"It isn't any hatching I want," Inali replied with a hiss in her voice she didn't catch in time. She said that, but she knew that she wouldn't turn any of them down. A dragon was a dragon. And a dragon was protecting Pern. A dragon was power. A dragon was respect and the chance to do something more worthwhile than being a broodmare for some holder. That had, once upon a time, been her dream. Amazing how less than a turn could change so much. She suspected that even if a Lord Holder himself proposed she'd decline.

She sighed and shook her head. "What about you? Are you so secure in your chances?" She wasn't secure in her's at all. She didn't understand how anyone could be. Her hands went back to their original position, wringing tightly until she noticed then sitting still, gripped tight.

"I'm not this doubtful about anything else in my life. Everyone else seems too confident. It's infuriating."

@Jenn
--

Odinara jumped, muscles tensing. She exhaled and relaxed when mockery or otherwise didn't come. "I've only ever heard stories. I never expected to see them." Despite the whisper, her voice couldn't be described as soft. She glanced to the side and frowned, studying Caelen.

"Odinara," she offered in response, expression softening as she forced her muscles to relax. "I wasn't talking to anyone. I haven't been here all that long. It's, ah, a little overwhelming." She fidgeted with her knots, dragging a thumb down them with fascination.

"Not scary, but every other person is talking about people dying on the sands and how important it is to know where the healer camp is..."

@Harbinger

Captain's Crew
Pressganged - Captain's Wanteds

Lady Holder Baria of Western
X'vir of Brown Oth | Ems of Blue Kapth | Wa'ut of Blue Qith
L'ru of Green Syrath | Z'ant of Green Lyraleth
Zaela of Pink Nektisuth | Qivi of Black Dekandaeth | V'ax of Cyan Purlalith
Vatalian of Orange Vatask | Pavir of Blue Pavisk | Setarii of Black Setask
Inali, Havenrute, Navenax, Felrin, Uonai, Unavir, Odinara
PM
^
Aerona
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 02:23 AM
Wingrider

N/A

71 Posts
480 Marks

A flat look, he knew those well enough. He shrugged it off, it didn't bother him, most people that felt sad didn't want to be bothered. But he didn't want her to continue on some downward spiral, he had a weird need to try to cheer her up. There was only room for one sad sap in the stands today. He gave a bit of a snort as she called him a young pup. "Not exactly young in terms of being in the stands like this for lessons." He motioned. and pointed at his candidate knots. "Though I guess I'm younger than you. I've got problems and memories too." He said, watching her.

"Grove, really? I haven't even been out of the area." he said, looking off in the distance. He probably would die here too. "Not my business what brought you here, though I am curious." He looked her up and down. "That kind of thing is your own, unless you feel like sharing. According to the atmosphere around ya, gonna say no." He gave another shrug to her. "Oh, yeah. We don't have the best reputation I'm sure." He said, wincing. "We've had...troubles." He frowned. Probably why none of his siblings ever transferred here.

Emeron caught her look and followed it towards the eggs. "They are pretty. Clearly it's not a common thing, given you would have heard otherwise had it been more..." He turned his hand about as he tried to think of the word, just settling on sounding like an idiot. "Common." Oh well. "I was at Lannasuth's hatching five years back, the one I'm sure you heard about." He pointed at the huge Queen as she fawned over her eggs. "Was quite surprised she let anyone near them again." He shook his head. "You ever been out there?" He motioned his head to the sands. "It can be hell." He said. "Especially before the armor." He frowned. "Though I haven't lost any limbs yet, how that happened I don't know. I fainted one year from blood loss though. Woke up being dragged off the sands by one of the healers." He had bad luck, and knew it. "Pretty sure my time is gonna run out one of these days." He stared at the sands, picturing them stained with blood.

"Well, that was incredibly morbid. You excited to the see the hatch? I have a bad feeling on this one. Though I guess I always have a bad feeling at the hatches." He said with a tilt of his head.

@Blot

PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 12:45 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

All he could continue to do was mutter, because he hated to admit that he was wrong. She was acting like his mother for Faranth's sake. Did she have to go and apologize, because he didn't already feel like a big enough jerk for having yelled at her? Why did she have to go and point it out? She was just trying to make him feel worse about it, wasn't she? It was her fault that he'd felt the need to yell in the first place. In retrospect, he'd done nothing wrong. She took up a similar body posture, and so he did his best not to make a face.

The ex-Trader's gaze slid over to the girl as she made her point. He had never met someone as adamant as Vianna, and in that the dragon candidate could feel a measure of respect brewing. The girl may have been a loud mouth, but at least she was genuine. He finally had a name, which made him feel a tad less suspicious but no less curious. "Whatever," he mumbled; which was his way of agreeing with her. His legs were going numb from leaning on them, so he threw his weight back against his seat. "Not all Candidates, or even people, are alike. I never said I was better than you. I'm not better than anyone here, I wouldn't pretend to be." He was reading way too much into the girls words, virtually incapable of seeing the positive. People weren't nice for no reason, not in his world. He had already deemed Rome to be the exception. Xialas was irritating, but that he had gotten used to.

Embry regarded Vianna as she spoke, fully aware that she was trying to reason with him. "Manly... seriously?" He sounded mildly offended, but the real tell tale was that his face was flushed. Embarrassed by her claim, Embry couldn't help but sigh. "It is a second chance," he replied, again unable to look at her. He kept his voice low, not wanting the whole of Dalibor Weyr to hear him, "things are different now. I'm not stupid, I realize that. I don't need you to tell me." I'm not who I was, even if you can't see that, he thought to himself, bitter about the girls assumptions. "People aren't good for much, so I wish you the best of luck there." Sarcasm wasn't his strong suit.

So she had been watching him then. Should he be worried about it? She was pretty harmless. "I don't owe you anything, and I certainly don't owe anyone else anything either. I don't have any feelings I need to talk about, maybe you should go bug one of the other girls if you're needing an emotional connection." What self-respecting guy sat and talked about his feelings to a complete stranger? What did she want from him? How else could he let her know that she was asking too much? It had taken him eons to reveal his feelings to Rome, and even then he hadn't said much. He didn't say anything about anything to his own roommate, and even he and A'dran were just starting to really get to know one another. A'dran was perceptive, and had picked up on his habits.

"Trust me... they're not listening," he murmured, now looking out over the Sands, as if he expected some bit of truth to show itself (thanks to Vianna's words). If they had been listening, this whole time, then they cared very little about his thoughts or opinions. He had stood for several turns now, having arrived at Dalibor when he was roughly eighteen. He would soon be twenty-one, come next season. He had come to see many things, on various hatch days, and had even learned a bit about himself in the process.

"I don't need a friend..." he trailed off, adding for his own sake: "I need a dragon." Maybe he needed both, who could really say?

@Ruin
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 02:04 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"Even if people don't need to be told something, sometimes they need to hear it, it's like why the Candidatemasters keep doing their lessons, even though some of us have heard it so many times we could teach it ourselves." When Embry threw himself back, Vianna sat up and curled her legs under herself again, tossing her head into her hands so they wouldn't get her into trouble. "You have a lot of feelings," she said seriously, but echoing his soft tone. She wasn't here to embarrass him or anything like that, not at all. "Otherwise why would you get so angry so quick? Those little eggs down there, that's the chance right? How can you call one in to you when you're working so hard to push everything away?" Vianna wasn't so easy to push away, but she could admit that he was pretty good at what he'd been doing.

She did give his words some thought. Rewound the breaking eggs in her mind and tucked all the hatchlings back, then thought about what they were thinking about right now. "Probably right, 'side, how well could they hear us from there anyway. And all wrapped up in a shell. [b]"I know you do," she said with a bright smile. "I do too, and it's okay if you aren't much for talkin', you just need to know you aren't alone. Big whole world, a whole lot to be overwhelmed with. Look though, even if neither one of us gets a dragon this time, you can always come and yell at me if it makes you feel better. You really aren't as bad as you think with your big angry words, it's not too hard to see you're hurtin' somehow. And even if I don't know why, or how that is, I still appreciate you for who you are, even if you think I'm stupid for it."

The girl still wasn't looking fit to leave, and she seemed pretty pleased with what she'd said so far. "Still, never hurts to imagine a little bit of something different for yourself. You should try it. Thinkin' about how they'll come out of the eggs and what you'll be thinkin. You can tell them all about the crazy girl you met and tell them to come find me and give me a talkin' to, right? Ain't nothin' wrong with living in the here and now and bein' a little excited for it. Maybe just for right now, just for this moment? Pretend you're a Candidate with not a care in the world except the dragons down there." She was encouraging, and kind; it didn't matter to her if he never confided in her, and she couldn't know that he had some friends who he did trust. She just wouldn't be satisfied until he looked just a little bit better than he had before. How could anyone walk away from someone who was hurting?

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^
Zane
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 02:38 PM
Wingleader

Hero of Time

650 Posts
4865 Marks

Embry shrugged, rather dramatically, finding less and less to refute the more that the girl spoke. Then she was declaring that he had a lot of feelings, and he merely gazed about the Stands to make sure that no one was listening. "Why not go and tell the whole world why don't you?" She was aware that there were people around, wasn't she? Convinced that everyone was nosy, and ill-meaning, Embry muttered something about keeping shit to himself. She was being entirely serious, which meant that she deserved some manner of recognition. Embry couldn't manage to come up with anything, not when the topic at hand was making him oh so uncomfortable. It was frustrating--no, infuriating--that she spoke with such authority. How did she figure that she had him pegged, just like that? Was she trying to elude to his being simpleminded? It felt like it. "Don't talk about things you don't understand," he stated, his frustration seeping through though his tone remained fairly placid. She was right, and he hated that she was right. Why couldn't she just bugger off, like he'd told her to initially? The idea that anyone saw him, or cared to try to peg him, was overwhelming. People didn't care about anyone but themselves; that's what he had decided to think, and such was the defense he used when people tried to approach him. Everyone was out for number one, meaning that his attempts to isolate himself were justified.

The girl didn't need to know why he was the way he was. No one did, not even the dragons. He hadn't bothered to acknowledge the fact that hiding his secrets from a dragonet would be very difficult, if not impossible. He would hurt his bonded, if he sought to remain closed-off. If he couldn't even tell A'dran, who probably ought to know more than anyone, than how was he ever supposed to admit to it? Even within himself, there was a war brewing. He kept on telling himself that the dragons weren't choosing him for a reason, and that reason was likely to hold him back for the rest of his life.

Embry huffed, claiming his little victory as Vianna agreed with him. She was all smiles, and optimism, and it was, truth be told, rather frightening. "You don't know," he confessed sharply. He ought to leave it at that, but he couldn't. She was carrying on about how he wasn't alone, going as far as to say that he could turn to her if he needed to. It was all so strange, and untoward. He wanted to leave, and possibly never come back. He ran over her words, again and again, trying to find something to bite at her for. He was looking for a reason to tear away, and seek his den like an injured tunnelcat. "Don't... say those things." She didn't know what she was getting herself into, and yet she kept digging a deeper and deeper hole. It was a mistake, to throw her lot in with him. He didn't make for a very good friend, which he was sure even Rome could attest to. Perhaps he ought to introduce her to Xialas, so the healer could successfully scare her away with stories of his bad behavior. Suddenly he was very aware of the fact that he had very little to offer A'dran, the way he was now. Was that perhaps why the brown-weyrling had taken so long to give him an answer? He hated that this girl was making him second-guess himself on things completely unrelated to dragons and impression.

If he pretended to imagine, would she go away? Fighting her off hadn't worked, so he might as well try for a new approach. "Sure, why not," he all but grumbled, rolling his eyes in the process. If he meant to take this seriously, well, he was doing a terrible job of being convincing. She was being kind, and Embry simply wasn't having it. He couldn't accept it, because he knew he didn't deserve it. Even so, he played her game. He closed his eyes, rather than staring out over the hatching sands, and tried to picture how the dual hatching would play out. "One persons already died, again. Xialas impressed to an asshole. Another psycho red decides to maul me. Another ten-year-old impresses to a king. Laanasuth eats one of her babies, and I'm left standing in a sea of blood while Ulian tries to decide what shitty roommate to stick me with next." He then opened his eyes and shrugged at her, as if his words were not to be taken seriously. "Just another day though, right?" he offered sarcastically, finally seeking to catch the girls gaze. Meeting the girls eyes, the ex-Trader finally got a good look at his self-appointed friend.

@Ruin
PM
^
Ree
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 07:41 PM
Candidate

N/A

25 Posts
15 Marks

The eggs were always on her mind. Always on everyone’s minds, she was sure. She had plenty to do to try and distract herself – chores, pet care, seeking out her mother or siblings, meditation practice – but she couldn’t fully stop thinking about them in any given moment. How could she, when her lifemate might be incubating inside one of those shells?

Time had been set aside for candidates to look on the eggs from the Stands, and she happily took advantage of this. She’d had to engage in a battle of wills with her firelizards to keep them home, and a battle of strength to do the same to Snowy, but she’d managed and all pets were safely back in the room. She made her way to the stands from the stone stairs as she’d been instructed, keeping far away from the Sands no matter how much she wanted to be down there with the eggs. She was fortunate to be given the opportunity to be here at all, she the last thing she wanted to do was to anger those in charge and ruin things for everyone else.

There were so many other people here! It was a little overwhelming…a lot overwhelming. As much as she wanted to approach someone at random and make a new friend, there were too many people and conversations to keep track of. Instead, she found an empty place for herself where she could still have a decent view of the eggs and sat down, enjoying the sight and her thoughts. She could see herself on the sands, surrounded by many of these same people and a sea of new dragonets. With any luck, one of those would be hers. She wasn’t sure what she wanted – just about any dragon that wasn’t red would be wonderful. She’d be perfectly happy with a green just like her mother’s, or a sweet pink, or a determined cyan…maybe she’d even get something a bit rarer? If she was honest with herself, she did have aspirations to ride a queen – all female candidates did, she assumed – but she’d be just as happy with one of the smaller dragons. She just wanted a dragon that was Hers, like her mother had.

((Open!))

PM
^
Rowana
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 08:05 PM
Wingsecond

N/A

858 Posts
682 Marks

Jaquin hadn't expected coming to the sands to make him nervous. He'd been to two hatchings since that last disastrous one and they'd been fine. But this time there were so many more eggs. Not to mention the wher queen was said to be clutching soon as well. That just spelled danger and everyone here seemed to know it. Their teachers were already gearing them up with healing lessons, hatching etiquette, and sizing them all for armor. Not that it would do any good, Jaq thought morously. Six turns of healer training hadn't helped him. That kid had still died in his arms for no other reason than standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why did bad things always seem to follow him? He'd almost been feeling relaxed since the plague, but he should have known it couldn't last. Still, Xialas was right about one thing: leaving or staying was his choice and it might not change anything now. And he couldn't help but want to stay, just in case this time it turned out different than all the others.

Still, for all his anxiety, he couldn't help a tiny bubble of hope that one of those eggs down their might be his. Or one of the whers. At this point, he didn't think he would mind which. It would just be nice to know he didn't have to go through everything alone anymore. Not that he really was now that he had Lucky and Xialas, though Xial might never admit it. Speaking of, neither his pet or his friend were here right now, leaving Jaq feeling a bit lonely. He enjoyed company, when he could find it, even if he typically kept himself from getting too close to people. Didn't want his bad luck to rub off on anyone, after all. Still, it wouldn't hurt to say 'hello' he supposed. They might all need each others support when the chaos started.

Glancing around, Jaquin spotted one girl sitting by herself and made his way over. "Hello!" he greeted with a warm smile. At least she seemed in better spirits than some of the other candidates who looked more worried. "Not sure we've properly met. I'm Jaquin! May I join you?"

@Ree
PM
^
Ruin
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 08:19 PM
Betahandler

Capslock Queen

3272 Posts
300 Marks

"I think people talk about a lot of things they don't understand, and it sure can be annoying, but it's important too, don't you think? If people didn't talk about things they didn't understand where would we be? Harpers wouldn't go out and ask questions, and Traders wouldn't go out and brave all that Thread just to have all that freedom. Why, we wouldn't even know much about dragons, would we? I like reading about things, and talking about them. I think you would like talking about things too, once you got past worryin' about who you were talking to. Sometimes it's nice just to talk about things and not have a care in the world about what someone will think. At the end of the day it doesn't matter right? Especially if you get a dragon, or I get a dragon, or we both get a dragon, then no one can tell us anything is wrong, right? Because the dragon kinda validates everything doesn't it?" She hmm'd softly to herself, as if considering her own words.

Still, he did seem rather off-put by her kindness. "I'm sorry if you haven't known a lot of kind people in your life. I'm relatively harmless though, if you can get past all the talking I do. You don't even have to talk back that much as you've noticed, means you'll never be bored, right? Still, I am prone to saying things that might make you a bit uncomfortable, what with me caring about how you feel and all. I can try not to be so overbearing," her smile brightened, "but I'll probably fail." She didn't laugh, but her body seemed to shake as if she had. She didn't want to bother the other Candidates with her tittering, and she really never made much noise at all. Aside from her talking, that is.

She was absolutely thrilled though, when he said he would try. When he closed his eyes, she watched, her own open wide and seeking with curiosity at what he might find. Vianna tried, the stars love her, she really did try to keep quiet, but she was absolutely gushing with questions by the time she was done. Good thing she'd already been looking at him when he met her gaze. "Who, who died?" She peered at the other Candidates. "Now I wouldn't go wishing death on anyone, but it happens, right? Sometimes to the people you don't expect. Oh but what colour was Xialas' dragon? What do you think his name will elide to, a Burgundy? Were you already mauled by a Red? That sure sounds like a painful experience, but I bet you held your own because you aren't dead. Are there many ten year olds in Dalibor's program?"

Again she was peering at the Candidates, "what colour King did you imagine?" She did turn to peer first at Laanasuth and then to Ulian. "You know, it's usually the whers that eat the dead ones, why my mama always said it was a pity to waste such a great meal wrapped up in such a pretty package. That's whers though, most people aren't that fond of whers are they? I'd be your roommate but they wouldn't allow that so I just hope we got ones that aren't, what did you say, shitty?" She imagined a roommate appearing before her covered in dung and did give a soft chuckle. "That would smell dreadful. C'mon now though, you didn't Impress. You're supposed to be thinkin' about your dragon. You know, what if I Impressed a dragon like you? I bet you'd be a sharp-witted and sometimes blustery Burgundy yourself. Do you think I could handle that?"

@Zane

*click for plot page*
user posted image
PM
^

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply

Chatbox
1. No advertising.

2. No in-depth discussion of highly personal issues, incl. medical issues affecting you, your family or friends, or your pets. Do not ask for medical advice in the cbox.

3. Please refrain from explicit description of illegal, violent or gross subjects. Be mindful of your fellow members and guests to the site.

4. Important communications for staff should be sent via PM - just because someone is on the site does not mean they are looking at the cbox! :)

Cbox Mods: Ruin, Rii, Ivy
Affiliates
RPG-D RPGfix Top RP Sites Top RP Sites RPG Initiative Southern Winds Weyr